Do you love the album art?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!

Do you love it?

Yes!
27%
No..
19%
Meh
23%
Maybe
19%
Sucks almost as much as "Addicted to Pain" being a song title does
12%

Total votes: 95

Decay

Re: Do you love the album art?

Post by Decay »

Timotheus wrote:To be honest, I don't think the letters look better in the second version. It looks very sloppy at the light parts of the clouds.
+1
Timotheus wrote:I really don't know if I like it better. I'm still hoping they'll just keep the letters off the actual cover. That they're only on these versions for commercial reasons.

False hope is better than no hope I guess ;)
:yeahthat

Tom
Jim's Brother

Post by Tom »

i spose we couldn't expect much because all of the albums have been PRETTY basic, One Day Remains probably being the most complex, but i like the whole idea of a Shack being the "Fortress", could've been better tho

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Thats 48 people not happy with the cover so far.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

Sunrunner1
Bought The CDs

Post by Sunrunner1 »

I do actually think that the Alter Bridge logo looks better in the second version where it's more subtle. Still, I feel like some of the added details to the shack feel unnecessary. The window, for instance, looked a lot better when you couldn't see anything inside. And though the main logo works for me, the word fortress in red still feels a bit out of place, but it could be cool if it was incorporated into the environment better. :headscratch
Destination Unknown...
We're Lost, But Not Alone

Sunrunner1
Bought The CDs

Post by Sunrunner1 »

How do you guys edit the artwork anyway? I want to try.
Destination Unknown...
We're Lost, But Not Alone

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Sunrunner1 wrote:How do you guys edit the artwork anyway? I want to try.
Probably photoshop.
Thanks Timo!

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Nice gif.. darker red looks a bit better. I agree with Ax though, adding sepia to the font brings it out & adds some life to it. I still hate the Fortress font though (just my 2 cents).

PS: I understand this is nitpicky but that's what diehards do lol plus we have several graphic designers on this forum (myself included) & we all obsess over details.

Felipesh
Loyal Follower

Post by Felipesh »

Personally I don't know how there's some people who actually like the cover, it's awful, ugly, poor, etc... Last night I dreamed about the cover and Dan change the actual cover and it looked fucking amazing :lol but then I woke up and I started to cut my veins again................

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

I actually like the photo in the orignal version better, it's less washed out and I feel like I can see more detail in the grass, etc.

Though overall I just really dislike it. I love the concept, and I WANT to love the artwork.

I just can't.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I'm just gonna accept it for what it is. Unless they change it I'm wasting my time stressing over the album cover.
Thanks Timo!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Nick wrote:As was said before, having a crappy font doesn't really challenge anyone's expectations, at least not in any interesting or worthwhile way. If you're looking for an album cover that does that, then look no farther than Kanye West's YEEZUS.

Just a blank CD case with some red tape, the only writing on it is on the back giving credit for the samples. It completely challenges the notion of what constitutes an album cover and how music should be represented visually, all the while still doing a perfect job of encapsulating the album's raw, minimalistic feel.
A guy who can successfully sell plain white t-shirts to his target audience for $120 doesn't need to make anything very fancy lol.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Andy92 wrote:
Nick wrote:As was said before, having a crappy font doesn't really challenge anyone's expectations, at least not in any interesting or worthwhile way. If you're looking for an album cover that does that, then look no farther than Kanye West's YEEZUS.

Just a blank CD case with some red tape, the only writing on it is on the back giving credit for the samples. It completely challenges the notion of what constitutes an album cover and how music should be represented visually, all the while still doing a perfect job of encapsulating the album's raw, minimalistic feel.
A guy who can successfully sell plain white t-shirts to his target audience for $120 doesn't need to make anything very fancy lol.
Kanye is nothing if not ballsy, that's for sure.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

As i said in the other thread, we shouldnt be saying what Dan T "should" have done with the artwork.. It's fine to say what we would've liked to have seen, or what changes we'd make. As Jared said, many of us know what we're talking about, granted.. But let's keep the disrespect level low please

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Felipesh wrote:Last night I dreamed about the cover and Dan change the actual cover and it looked fucking amazing :lol but then I woke up and I started to cut my veins again................
:eek

JSlade

Post by JSlade »

Jared, can you post the last edit you made but in wallpaper size? Like 1440x900?

alterchris
TABN.com Citizen

Post by alterchris »

abw1987 wrote:I went with "meh". Wish you would've included a "pretty good" option, because I would've went with that. I don't LOVE it, so "yes" would've been inaccurate. I also don't love that you editorialized about an unrelated song title, but whatever. :rolleyes

Anyway, I really like the photograph. I also like the effects that have been applied to it. It's almost HDRish, without actually being shitty/gratuitous HDR. I disagree that the open space should be filled in. I'm sure it's meant to represent a void, and it provides a neat visual effect.

I agree that the Alter Bridge logo doesn't look great. "Amateurish" is not too far off. Stijn made a cool version with sepia highlights, which actually improves things a lot. Maybe that's the point though... it's not supposed to be modern and striking, but rather dark and bloody.

That all said, I don't mind the FORTRESS text being red.

Whether you like it or not, I think the album art at least surprised most of us. Especially after all the fan art that depicted some epic fortress from a medieval myth or something. We did not expect a shack on a dusty plain.
I agree with most of your assessment. I do like how the red logo stands out; however, I was really surprised with the shack lol. For me, the art disappoints a little bit compared to some of their older albums. Either way, as long as the music rocks I really could care less what the album art looks like.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

They clearly used red because somebody's been looking at TABN :shifty
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Cariocawlad
Bought The CDs

Post by Cariocawlad »

I don't know. It's very simple, but only when we hear the music we will understand (or not) the meaning behind it. It isn't amazing, but I like it.

For those who dislike the red AB logo, my guess: this is a duotone (black+red) picture.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

The meaning (if it's what i expect it is) behind the image is fantastic, the more i look at it the more i like it.

Shame they already used SHED My Skin elsewhere though, huh...?

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

alterchris wrote:Either way, as long as the music rocks I really could care less what the album art looks like.
True that!

To be honest I don't know how many people are really buying CDs on impulse based on album art anyway. I've literally never bought an album because I happened to walk by it in a shop, and I liked the way the cover looked. If that really worked, I imagine Alter Bridge would try to make their band name as clear and legible as possible, which is obviously not the approach they've taken.