AB V

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Roneit
Loyal Follower

Re: AB V

Post by Roneit »

Do you think the guys can afford an orchestra in some of the songs? (or at least some different strings in the background)

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I would love to hear more of a clean guitar, especially used with some cool effect like delay or chorus.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I'm pretty sure they could. Bands like The Pineapple Thief have done it, and they're a lot smaller than AB.

Edit: this was a response to Roneit.. Dolo posted at the same time as me.
Last edited by Timotheus on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

Roneit wrote:Do you think the guys can afford an orchestra in some of the songs? (or at least some different strings in the background)
They've used some programmed strings before (like in the end of Waters Rising) but a full orchestra or even a live string quartet would be legit.
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

JSlade

Post by JSlade »

I'm not too big on the orchestra idea; a bunch of modern rock bands do that and it's kind of cliche I think.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

While the idea of an orchestra does seem intriguing enough, to me, it looks just a tad too pretentious (and probably too expensive to make it worthwhile) for my taste. That said, someone mentioned it, but the programed strings at the end of Waters Rising helped enhance the tone of the song.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I wouldn't mind a ballad that uses a piano for part of it.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

JSlade wrote:I'm not too big on the orchestra idea; a bunch of modern rock bands do that and it's kind of cliche I think.
You can't write music and worry about cliches. You'll only limit yourself.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: EWW

Post by Andy92 »

Oh. My. Gosh. He's playing a guitar, like oh. my. gosh. Like every band is doing that. Ughhh how cliche gurlllll.

JSlade

Post by JSlade »

anguyen92 wrote:While the idea of an orchestra does seem intriguing enough, to me, it looks just a tad too pretentious (and probably too expensive to make it worthwhile) for my taste. That said, someone mentioned it, but the programmed strings at the end of Waters Rising helped enhance the tone of the song.
That's because it was subtle and not a full blown orchestra. The only time I've really enjoyed a rock band using one was when Collective Soul played with the Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra for a concert.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

There used to be a group on youtube that did orchestral (although I think it was mainly violins) covers and they pretty much did an entire Creed album. Can't find it anymore though.

This is pretty cool though

[youtube]http://youtu.be/vPdC2QjJhyc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/rGIAIilrn7I[/youtube]

Doesn't sound as good as the original I'll admit, but there are certain bits that resound a lot better on the piano, and I if AB was the one using/writing it, I'm sure they'd use it in a spot where they felt the guitar wasn't as versatile and it would sound pimp.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

A piano song would be cool. The only song with Myles and a piano we've got is Where Are You I think..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I have a feeling that'd be more realistic as a Myles solo song than an AB song, but I can always wish. I love songs like Break In by Halestorm and Call Me by Shinedown. I think Myles could nail a piece like that.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I just fear that they'd never play it live because I don't think they'd bring a piano/keyboard with them on tour. So yea, I don't really see it happening under AB either.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I agree. It works for Halestorm because Lzzy plays a piano live, and it works for Shinedown because Eric plays the keyboard live. They'd have to bring out someone else to play the piano for the track (unless Flip is good enough at piano, not sure how much he can play it). But the only ballads they ever play anymore are Watch Over You and occasionally Wonderful Life. So I'd take a piano song on an album even if they never played it live.

Roneit
Loyal Follower

Post by Roneit »

So basically we just want an AB November Rain like.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

That's it! Haha could even have the awesome guitar solo at the end.

mtshaw3
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mtshaw3 »

Andy92 wrote:They never come to my state anymore anyways, so I'll take the album lol.
Haha! True that Andy! OH and WV, the forgotten states! (Although you get ROTR every few years)
Huge thanks to Andy! Love my new sig!

mtshaw3
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mtshaw3 »

Timotheus wrote:I'm pretty sure they could. Bands like The Pineapple Thief have done it, and they're a lot smaller than AB.

Edit: this was a response to Roneit.. Dolo posted at the same time as me.
That's why they have a "Quote" button! :P :cheers
Huge thanks to Andy! Love my new sig!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

mtshaw3 wrote:
Andy92 wrote:They never come to my state anymore anyways, so I'll take the album lol.
Haha! True that Andy! OH and WV, the forgotten states! (Although you get ROTR every few years)
I like ROTR, but I'm not overly excited when AB plays there now. They only played 6 songs last year (they included both Blackbird and Cry of Achilles which took a lot of their time). I'm not really interested in seeing them again unless they're playing a 17-19 song set. There are tons of songs even on the first two albums I've never heard live.

I'm really excited about seeing Tremonti this year though since it'll be my first time seeing them live.