What The Songs Mean To You..

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Merinda
Sig Queen

Re: What The Songs Mean To You..

Post by Merinda »

Wow guys.. some of that stuff is heavy. I loved that it's helped so many people in some form or another. Really amazing. I'm only gonna do ODR for now coz I don't have time for all three.

One Day Remains
1. Find The Real - Oh man.. this was my favourite song for about 2 years. The lyrics meant so much to me while I was transitioning back to living with my mother after I'd been living with my grandparents for so long.. my grandad passed away and then my grandma was moved to a nursing home because of Alzheimers.. I was hurting a lot and this song really spoke to me. I even had "I wanna love, I wanna feel...' and so on in giant letters on my wall.

2. One Day Remains - This song helped me cope with my Grandad's death again. All I wanted to do was lay down and die with him gone and Myles told me exactly what not to do.

3. Open Your Eyes - Holy crow.. back to my Grandad again.. basically I listened to this album in the 6 months before he died, while he was incredibly sick and for a about a year non-stop after so every song brings me back to how I was feeling through all of it. I vividly remember I was watching the video and the 'oooooh oooohhhhh' part was on.. and my grandmother came into the room at 3am to tell me Pop had to go to hospital. I had to look after her after an ambulance had taken him. Her already having rather severe Alzheimers and me being only 14 I sort of struggled but I swear to god that song got me through that day.

4. Burn It Down - All I can say about this song is still manages to bring me to tears.

5. Metalingus - First song I ever heard by AB. Through WWE. I looooved Edge and every week when he came out to his them music I found myself singing along and finally decided 'I like this song. Who sings it?' and the rest is history.

6. Broken Wings - Oh my god.. this was the first Alter Bridge music video I watched and while watching it I could only think 'Oh my gosh he's so hot' haha. But yeah I've favourited this song several times. Listening to it now actually.

7. In Loving Memory - OK.. now this one. Wow, this one.. when I first heard it.. I thought it was so special because I found it right as this person who I viewed as the light of my life left me. This song got me through some incredibly sad times. My aunt put an ad in the local newspaper announcing Pop's passing and I specifically asked her to put a separate one in for me and I quoted some of the lyrics with a simple 'Love Merinda' underneath.

8. Down To My Last - Again another one that helped me cope.

9. Watch Your Words - This one was another favourite for awhile. When I showed it to my dad he cried a little bit and he said the lyric 'Cherish the life and the ones you hold' was what set him off. Such a mean song musically too.

10. Shed My Skin - At this point in my life I was also changing my appearance physically.. I was darker. Emo or whatever you wanna call it. My mother hated it and so every day I'd blast this song trying to get her to understand because I just wouldn't talk to anyone about how I was feeling about everything. "I hope I find some peace today, it seems I've gone away, it seems I've lost myself, it seems I've really lost my way, it seems I've lost myself, it seems I've shed my skin" was how I was feeling and through the song she seemed to get it.

11. The End Is Here - There's not a song on this album that didn't help me cope with Pop's death in some form another. When he died it honestly did feel like the end was here. I felt like I had nothing. When Myles sings "I will fight the end til the end is here" I thought that's exactly what Pop would want me to do and I have been ever since.

Sorry for the essay!! Didn't think I'd have that much to say about it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Everything you wrote reminds me of why One Day Remains is one of my favorite albums of all time. Lyrically, those songs just stand out. In Loving Memory helped me through my grandpa's death as well. One day I want to learn that song on guitar well enough to make some sort of tribute video for him.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

One Day Remains

1. Find The Real - Always loved the solo to this song, I remember when I bought the ODR guitar tab book at Sam Ash I learned the intro to it in the store. Fun riffs!

2. One Day Remains - That main riff is still hard after practicing it for a looong time now. Love the energy and feel to this song.

3. Open Your Eyes - 4th song I heard from AB, love open D5 tuning. The last chorus/ending to this song is still one of my favorites. Still haven't gotten the solo down after all these years :/

4. Burn It Down - I always listen to this song when going through a major big city (Nashville, Indianapolis, etc.) at night...that's the kind of vibe I get out of this song and adds a whole lot to it. Love the solo.

5. Metalingus - 1st song I ever heard from AB. Heard it as Edge's entrance music in WWE but took me forever on Youtube to find someone that posted the name of the song and band so I could look them up. I will always remember this song, the one that helped me get into rock! :rockon

6. Broken Wings - 3rd song I ever heard from AB, watched the video on Youtube and thought it was amazing (still my favorite vid from them to date). Love the creepiness of it.

7. In Loving Memory - <---- This song still makes me tear up when I hear it lol. This one will always have importance to me. I remember listening to it after my grandpa passed away. Anyone that ever loses a loved one ever should listen to it, it helps you cope with it so much. This song will be played at my funeral for sure...or I'll haunt who plans my funeral :D

8. Down To My Last - Not too much of a connection to this song other than it's decently fun on guitar and a good overall song.

9. Watch Your Words - Love the main riff to this song, pretty heavy. Lyrics remind me of the importance of watching what I say in front of others.

10. Shed My Skin - My morning time song. Added it as the first song on my commuting playlist for college. Listening to this song while I watch the sun rise is powerful and inspiring.

11. The End Is Here - One of the most underrated AB songs. Love the middle-eastern vibe to the song. Still their best album closer (WDTTW is a close 2nd).

Blackbird

1. Ties That Bind - Love the energy to this song. Fun song to rock to and play on guitar.

2. Come To Life - I was on my High School's video production team and I used this song in the schools football highlight video. Thought it was quite appropriate and I was trying to get some AB out there too.

3. Brand New Start - Love the intro to this song. Still one of my favorite solos from Mark.

4. Buried Alive - Love the theme of this song.

5. Coming Home - Always listened to this song on my way home from somewhere for obvious reasons. A lot of people don't like this one that much but I think it's pretty good.

6. Before Tomorrow Comes - Love the meaning to this song. Helping others is super important and is something we should strive to do. "We could be so much more than we are."

7. Rise Today - 2nd song I ever heard from AB. When I was searching AB for the very first time on Youtube in late 2007 I played this song because the video for it just came out and was the first thing I saw after I searched "Alter Bridge". I had to listen to it a few times because I wasn't sure if it was the same band that did Edge's theme music because I was expecting another heavier song lol. This song is a good anthemic song and makes you want to stand up and be the change.

8. Blackbird - Favorite song of all time...ever. This song changed my life and how I viewed music. From the main fingerstyle lick to the epic note Myles holds at the end...flawless song. This song always gave me hope when I needed it. When I auditioned for the guitar ensemble and the music department of the college I go to I didn't really know any classical style songs so I played the intro to this. I got in :)

9. One By One - Listened to this song in a military cemetery on Memorial day...powerful stuff. Love the harmonies between Myles and Mark throughout this song. Reminds you freedom isn't free.

10. Watch Over You - Open G tuning for the win! I've always loved this song. The last chorus to this song is my favorite last chorus to any song...so powerful and emotional.

11. Break Me Down - This one gets a lot of hate and I don't know why. I really like this song. Love the vibe to it.

12. White Knuckles - Fun metal song to play and listen to. I used this as the music to a stupid Youtube video I made like my freshman year of High School and it got over 500,000+ views to this day. Hopefully it made an AB fan or to through it.

13. Wayward One - Cool mellow vibe to this song. I've always liked it but I thought "Blackbird" should of been the album closer. That would make more sense.

AB III

1. Slip To The Void - Epic creepy intro with the synth was a nice change to start an AB album. It kind of sets the feel of this whole album to me.

2. Isolation - I remember when this song came out...I listened to it so much. Learned it on guitar the day it came out.

3. Ghost Of Days Gone By - This song is just epic, one of my favorites off this album. The intro guitar part is one of my favorites Mark has come up with. As a teenager (only 3 more months as one! :D), this song has helped me cope with longing for the past. After graduating, it really makes me miss all the friends I had and the freewill of life back then. Hopefully there will be a song like this on ABIV.

4. All Hope Is Gone - The medieval/pirate song! Dark song but the intro riff is so much fun to play. It's songs like this or "Blackbird" that make me love Mark's fingerstyle stuff so much.

5. Still Remains - Middle-eastern vibe to this song. Not too much of a connection to this song.

6. Make It Right - I would consider this the "Rise Today" of AB III. Though it wasn't a single or anything it just has the same vibe to me as that song. Love the lyrics.

7. Wonderful Life - I was one of the first people to hear the intro to this song acoustic at Bofest when Myles played solo and acoustic which still the best concert I've ever been to...and I filmed the whole thing through (even the dialog between songs) on Youtube so you're welcome ABN :D It is a really sad song and one of my favorite AB ballads. Open G :yes

8. I Know It Hurts - Very high energy and inspiration song from this album. Very motivational lyrics. I have a feeling there will be a song on ABIV like this one.

9. Show Me A Sign - Dark, depressing feel to this song. I love listening to this song on cloudy and rainy days in fall and winter...especially if I'm driving through the countryside. Adds to the mood of this song.

10. Fallout - Kind of a continuation of ^ that song in my opinion. Love the clean guitar parts to this song.

11. Breathe Again - I really like this song. From the just overall feel to the epic bridge with Myles' epic vocals and that riff from Mark. Glad it made the album.

12. Coeur D'Alene - Fun riffage. It's a solid song but not my favorite.

13. Life Must Go On - My sunset song. Very moving and inspiration song...my favorite ballad on this album. I've listened to it while I'd be at the beach watching the sunset over the ocean...that alone makes this song 100 times better than it already is. I hope there's at least 1 song on ABIV like this one but I'm not so sure there will be :/

14. Words Darker Than Their Wings - Basically "Blackbird" part 2. Love the 12 string guitar in the beginning and the overall song in general. Very epic song and Myles' soaring vocals at the end make it a flawless album closer.
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

You went to Bofest, learned Isolation in one day, and have an AB video with 500,000 views. Not sure if I really like you or envy you... :shifty

:lol

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

Andy92 wrote:You went to Bofest, learned Isolation in one day, and have an AB video with 500,000 views. Not sure if I really like you or envy you... :shifty

:lol
I guess I won't tell you how many times I've seen Skillet live then... :lol
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Thank you I appreciate your silence lol.

alterchris
TABN.com Citizen

Post by alterchris »

Andy92 wrote:
alterchris wrote:I'll shorten my story as much as possible so as not to lose interest. See below:

3. Open Your Eyes - Heard this song back in 2005 and thought "who the hell is this? They rock!". That's when I found Alter Bridge. Liked them a lot and somehow lost touch as I was going to school full-time & working full-time so I brain dumped almost anything that wasn't school related. I know...what a shame! What a shitty fan I was at the time! :facepalm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackbird
1. Ties That Bind - This is where it all starts for me. I had lost touch and heard this song playing Guitar Hero while deployed to Afghanistan during the Summer of 2011...yep that's right...Guitar Hero lol. Immediately bought the song on Amazon and did research on this record which was then 3 years old at the time.

I immediately ordered the CD and had it shipped to Afghanistan where I eagerly awaited it. Once it arrived I listened to every song probably 50 times or more in a 2-day span. I studied the lyrics to every song and just absorbed every bit of this album. Being in Afghanistan was such an intense part of my life and I felt that the Blackbird album described me to a T at that time. All of the emotions I felt were wrapped up in this album.

Even upon my return home which was a great part of my life, I continued to listen to the album every single day. Songs like Brand New Start I felt described my fresh beginning back home again whereas songs like One by One reminded me of my recent, yet intense past. My second day back I went out and purchased One Day Remains and ABIII. I also purchased tickets to the Carnival of Madness tour and made vacation plans around this tour just to see Alter Bridge live lol - what a great show! I even dragged my daughter to the show and she is now one of Alter Bridge's biggest fans! :yes

I now listen to all 3 albums religiously and daily; however, the Blackbird album was and still is pure gold to me. I've listened to the Blackbird album every single day for 2 years straight now and it hasn't gotten old...I don't think it ever will. :rockon

Thanks for reading
Awesome story dude. And major thanks for your military service as well.
Thanks bud - I appreciate the comment

cheryl
Brand New Start

Post by cheryl »

Paddy35 wrote:EVERY Alter Bridge song is very important for me. Their lyrics help me to get out from hard situation and sometimes I found answer in their brilliant music. For example: Watch Over You means to me that girl I loved and she don't care about my broken heart but I must go on (It's in the song "Life Must Go On" too)...I found in their lyrics life situation every of us.
Jim wrote:Ya dont have to answer to every song by the way, amazing that Andy did. But ya can only put next to one song if you want
alterchris wrote:
Andy92 wrote:
alterchris wrote:I'll shorten my story as much as possible so as not to lose interest. See below:

3. Open Your Eyes - Heard this song back in 2005 and thought "who the hell is this? They rock!". That's when I found Alter Bridge. Liked them a lot and somehow lost touch as I was going to school full-time & working full-time so I brain dumped almost anything that wasn't school related. I know...what a shame! What a shitty fan I was at the time! :facepalm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackbird
1. Ties That Bind - This is where it all starts for me. I had lost touch and heard this song playing Guitar Hero while deployed to Afghanistan during the Summer of 2011...yep that's right...Guitar Hero lol. Immediately bought the song on Amazon and did research on this record which was then 3 years old at the time.

I immediately ordered the CD and had it shipped to Afghanistan where I eagerly awaited it. Once it arrived I listened to every song probably 50 times or more in a 2-day span. I studied the lyrics to every song and just absorbed every bit of this album. Being in Afghanistan was such an intense part of my life and I felt that the Blackbird album described me to a T at that time. All of the emotions I felt were wrapped up in this album.

Even upon my return home which was a great part of my life, I continued to listen to the album every single day. Songs like Brand New Start I felt described my fresh beginning back home again whereas songs like One by One reminded me of my recent, yet intense past. My second day back I went out and purchased One Day Remains and ABIII. I also purchased tickets to the Carnival of Madness tour and made vacation plans around this tour just to see Alter Bridge live lol - what a great show! I even dragged my daughter to the show and she is now one of Alter Bridge's biggest fans! :yes

I now listen to all 3 albums religiously and daily; however, the Blackbird album was and still is pure gold to me. I've listened to the Blackbird album every single day for 2 years straight now and it hasn't gotten old...I don't think it ever will. :rockon

Thanks for reading
Awesome story dude. And major thanks for your military service as well.
Thanks bud - I appreciate the comment
Everybody can find yourself in their lyrics.
I don't know where to properly post. I've never heard a band so perfect in EVERY WAY, and I am very picky. The therapeutic benefit for me at one of the toughest times in my life was literally life-saving. I never could have handled yet another tragedy. I am late--I didn't discover these guys until mid-2017. The song that I first heard and got addicted to was "My Champion." At least 8 of their songs got me through a couple tragedies, and the yet another big one I referenced was in December 2017. Thank you, and I love you.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Welcome, Cheryl! Alter Bridge has been a beacon in dark times for a lot of us over the years. I'm very glad you found them, too.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

I can't exactly describe how exactly Watch Over You is emotional to me, but it just is.

The other emotional one is Godspeed. I listened to it twice before deciding to put it on my school playlist. Then, just a couple of weeks ago, I was sitting down at the end of my last ever PE class, thinking about how much I was going to miss a friend/mild crush I had met there. Some 15 minutes before we said our goodbyes, Godspeed came up on my playlist. It was a perfect emotional connection and I'll always associate that song with her.

EDIT: You may have seen on the Total Randomness Thread that I'm caught up in a crush on my best friend. I made a playlist of songs that remind me of her (shh, she's not supposed to know yet), and three Alter Bridge songs appear on it: All Ends Well, Watch Over You, and Shed My Skin. EDIT AGAIN: I Know It Hurts is now on the playlist as well.

EDIT 2: Fine, I'll give a longer explanation for each song.

Shed My Skin - The realization that I need to reinvent myself in order to keep friends (most importantly above mentioned best friend) is somewhat in line with the lyrics of this song.
Blackbird - The sadness associated with the loss of my short-term friend mentioned above (let's call her K) caused me to not be able to listen to this song anymore. Previously I listened to it because of the music; those solos are amazing.
Watch Over You - With 7 crushes under my belt (not literally!), I find it unsurprising that I've only thought about futures with two of them. Let's call one Silicate (it has a weird connection to her actual name), and the other is above mentioned best friend (with other friends I refer to her as Anna, but that's not her actual name). So this song is for both Silicate and Anna.
I Know It Hurts - The lyrics to the chorus, and actually the lyrics in general, sound like something Anna would say.
The Uninvited - I listened to this song in PE on January 7 while shooting hoops and watching K take a break. My intention for when the song was over was to walk up to her and apologize for something I said the last time we had talked, but by the time the song was over, she too walked over to the court and started shooting. I then decided to take a break myself, and I chose to listen to one more song before finally walking up to her.
All Ends Well - Reminds me of K because I learned that even though I was losing her as a friend, I would be fine letting her go. Reminds me of Anna because of the motivational quotes she shares and writes; they have a similar message to this song. Also can mean that whatever the outcome between us is, it's going to be fine.
Cradle To The Grave - Heard this song for the first time in PE class on January 7. Reminds me that nothing lasts forever, and I draw a parallel from that to my friendship with K.
Godspeed - Already explained above. This was in PE class on January 13. I should also add that around the time when the song came up, I symbolically took my last basketball shot of the class.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
I'm in love with somebody...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs