What The Songs Mean To You..

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Jim
Blood Machines

What The Songs Mean To You..

Post by Jim »

Okay, just had a little thought, that might be a cool concept..

Go down the list below, and next to each song; write what the song means to you, how you relate to it.. Tell your story.. If the song brings back memories or evokes emotions.. Or even if it's just what you personally think that song is about..

If you do only 1 song thats fine.. If you do all the songs, amazing...

Try it! Would be nice to see how the music is perceived worldwide

One Day Remains
1. Find The Real -
2. One Day Remains -
3. Open Your Eyes -
4. Burn It Down -
5. Metalingus -
6. Broken Wings -
7. In Loving Memory -
8. Down To My Last
9. Watch Your Words
10. Shed My Skin
11. The End Is Here

Blackbird
1. Ties That Bind -
2. Come To Life -
3. Brand New Start -
4. Buried Alive -
5. Coming Home -
6. Before Tomorrow Comes -
7. Rise Today -
8. Blackbird -
9. One By One -
10. Watch Over You -
11. Break Me Down -
12. White Knuckles -
13. Wayward One -

AB III
1. Slip To The Void -
2. Isolation -
3. Ghost Of Days Gone By -
4. All Hope Is Gone -
5. Still Remains -
6. Make It Right -
7. Wonderful Life -
8. I Know It Hurts -
9. Show Me A Sign -
10. Fallout -
11. Breathe Again -
12. Coeur D'Alene -
13. Life Must Go On -
14. Words Darker Than Their Wings -

Copy & Paste the list and try it!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: What The Songs Mean To You..

Post by Dolo »

One Day Remains
1. Find The Real -
2. One Day Remains -
3. Open Your Eyes - first AB track that I heard and which made me fall in love with this band in 2007
4. Burn It Down - first AB piece that I learned how to play on a guitar, without a solo obviously
5. Metalingus -
6. Broken Wings -
7. In Loving Memory -
8. Down To My Last
9. Watch Your Words
10. Shed My Skin - I remember the first time I was going abroad to see my dad in the UK in 2008, I've just discovered AB at that time and the outro of that epic track was constantly ringing out in my head throughout the enitre travel
11. The End Is Here

Blackbird
1. Ties That Bind -
2. Come To Life - used to be my favourite track on BB, I was amazed by that epic chorus vocal interaction between Mark and Myles when I heard that track for the first time
3. Brand New Start -
4. Buried Alive -
5. Coming Home -
6. Before Tomorrow Comes -
7. Rise Today - second AB song that I've ever heard, I still really dig the music video for that single, one of the best they've done
8. Blackbird -
9. One By One -
10. Watch Over You -
11. Break Me Down -
12. White Knuckles -
13. Wayward One -

AB III
1. Slip To The Void -
2. Isolation - if that song had hands it would have called the police after I raped the replay button a hundred times in September 2010 when it was released, I just couldn't stop listening to that track, still one of my favourites on ABIII
3. Ghost Of Days Gone By - first AB track that I heard on the radio in Poland, it was so nice to see that my favourite band gets some exposure in my country
4. All Hope Is Gone -
5. Still Remains -
6. Make It Right -
7. Wonderful Life -
8. I Know It Hurts -
9. Show Me A Sign - song that has one of the most epic bridges, I almost fell of my chair when that epic D chord punched me in my ears
10. Fallout -
11. Breathe Again -
12. Coeur D'Alene -
13. Life Must Go On -
14. Words Darker Than Their Wings -
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

One Day Remains
1. Find The Real - This song's kind of my anthem for looking past frauds. You tend to meet a lot of people in life that are just out for self gain. It's nice to meet people you can love, people that are real.
2. One Day Remains - This song reminds me of one of my closer friends who has remarkable talent, but they don't have much confidence in themselves. I feel like I see more in them than they see in themselves.
3. Open Your Eyes - I've always interpreted this song about looking past barriers. No matter our race, religion, social status, we're all human, we're all the same.
4. Burn It Down - Not too much emotional connection to this song, but it's a good one to listen to when I've gone through something that requires me to "dust myself off and move on."
5. Metalingus - Some vain as Burn It Down. An anthem I listen to when I'm going through some tough road blocks.
6. Broken Wings - "The things we hold are always first to go" was always a lyric that hit me hard. This song's helped me to try to not become addicted to possessions. When you get success, there's always someone looking to take it from you. Be careful who you associate yourself with.
7. In Loving Memory - My grandpa passed away in 2007, and I first found this song around 2009. Ever since then, I've always related this song to him. It's also one of the first songs I ever remember bringing me a few tears.
8. Down To My Last - "I was never the right one to dare to dream. It's funny what this life has done to me now." This is still one of my favorite AB lyrics. This song stuck out to me when I started college. That was the point in my life where I wanted to reach out and "find my calling" so to speak.
9. Watch Your Words - First AB song I ever heard, so it holds a special place in my heart. "To truly see well, you must have faith." Always loved that line.
10. Shed My Skin - This song's helped me break out of my shell a little bit.
11. The End Is Here - Don't have much emotional attachment to this song, but the riff in the bridge is boss lol.

Blackbird
1. Ties That Bind - I'll always like this song as one of Flip's better drumming performances.
2. Come To Life - Heard this song really early when I found Alter Bridge. It's another one of the early ones that got me into the band.
3. Brand New Start - Has arguably my favorite solo by Mark in it. Always liked the lyrics in this song too. Have memories of playing this song going on a winter trip with some seniors in high school. Hearing this song while traveling on the bus made me think about how I was getting closer to becoming an adult, making that brand new start.
4. Buried Alive - One of the best straight up hard rock songs the band ever wrote imo. This song inspired me a lot to play the heavier side of guitar.
5. Coming Home - Remember hearing this song while coming back from being out of the United States for the first time in my life. Really gives a new meaning to the song after spending some time in another culture.
6. Before Tomorrow Comes - This one's always been a bit of a personal anthem for me. "Take the hand in need, before tomorrow comes, you could change everything." That's the kinda life I want to live.
7. Rise Today - Kind of similar to Before Tomorrow Comes, although I'm not as emotionally attached to this song.
8. Blackbird - The song that made this band my favorite group. The song that really opened my eyes to how great of musicians Mark and Myles are. The song that got me into playing guitar, wanting to write my own music, etc.
9. One By One - I don't have any close family in the military, so I'm not too connected to this song. But I always thought it was a pretty cool tribute to soldiers, and I respect that.
10. Watch Over You - The first AB song I ever learned on guitar. Actually the first song I learned to play in full on guitar.
11. Break Me Down - I'll never forget meeting a guy in my youth group at church who liked AB a lot. I asked him once what his favorite track was, and he said Break Me Down. I always think of that when I hear this song now lol.
12. White Knuckles - This song inspired me to really take life by the hands and not be so nervous about things. I think being mentally strong is a pretty important part of life.
13. Wayward One - Some friends of mine are closely associated with a group in South America that saves kids who get sold on the street as slaves. This song always reminds me of that cause.

AB III
1. Slip To The Void - I just remember how chilling it was to hear this song for the first time. It showed me a side of the band I hadn't heard in any of their previous music.
2. Isolation - I'll always remember this as the song that started to get the band more popularity around the US. Seeing AB play this song in my home state in 2011 was a memorable moment.
3. Ghost Of Days Gone By - The song that got me infatuated with open tunings. I knew Mark used this tuning on older songs, but the way that intro sounded really made me want to start experimenting with guitar in a different way.
4. All Hope Is Gone - The Pirate Song. Will always be my memory.
5. Still Remains - I remember being excited to hear this song since it had the working title rifferific (spelling?). It was exciting to hear that fast picking section for the first time.
6. Make It Right - Always liked the arpeggios in the beginning of this song. The part of the 2nd verse when Myles harmonizes with himself sounded so cool the first time I heard it.
7. Wonderful Life - This is another song I learned to play on guitar early on. I just remember being glad to hear the piece from Bofest turned into a song.
8. I Know It Hurts - This was my early favorite song the first time I heard AB III. Now I'll always remember this song as the one on Wembley when Myles goes sprinting across the stage.
9. Show Me A Sign - I always liked the moody sounding guitar work in this song. Had an eeriness to it that I liked.
10. Fallout - I remember trying to interpret the lyrics to this song for the AB III lyrics thread at the old BB. Ryan corrected me when the southern voice in my head thought "a far" was "a fire." lol
11. Breathe Again - "In the silence of my heart, there is a distant call. It beckons me to stand apart." Similar to Before Tomorrow Comes, this is a lyric that keeps me progressing in life.
12. Coeur D'Alene - I started looking up pictures of this lake once the song title was announced, and it quickly became a place I'd love to visit someday. Hopefully I'll be able to make a vacation out of it sometime.
13. Life Must Go On - Lyrically, this song hit home with me more than any of the others on AB III. I think this is the most emotional AB song for me besides In Loving Memory.
14. Words Darker Than Their Wings - I remember all of us crashing Roadrunner's site trying to get the early MP3 of this track. Hearing Mark's lead vocals for the first time was one of my favorite AB moments, and Myles' note at the end is still unbelievable.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

1828 of your posts count for shit next to that man, epic.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Lol thanks dude. Cool thread idea!

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Will get around to doing mine ASAP, i hope more people post like you did.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Agreed, fantastic post! And great thread, Jimbo. I don't want to rush through it so I'll do mine another day when I don't have to leave for work soon.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I'm working on mine :lol I'm halfway Blackbird, but don't have time atm.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Ya dont have to answer to every song by the way, amazing that Andy did. But ya can only put next to one song if you want

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Good thread, Jim!
One Day Remains, first.

1. Find The Real - The first AB song I ever heard, and I loved it immediately. That drum roll start, the heavy tone, the harmonics, then Myles voice - perfect music. Now the song means tons for its lyrics about overcoming a dark past and focusing on what's important. "I wanna love, I wanna feel, find peace, find the real". That's life now. And that theme gets repeated throughout the album.
2. One Day Remains - The second AB song I heard, and it was even better than the first. The CD insert opens to a poster of the album cover with these lyrics, and I framed it and it is beside my bed, so it's the first thing I see when I get up. Such an honest song: life can be shitty, but don't give up. Believe.
3. Open Your Eyes - The third AB song...ok, you get it. More reminders to leave an ugly past behind. "Looking back I clearly see what it is that's killing me". I love the sing along Myles does with this live.
4. Burn It Down - More warnings, and more hope "Discover the dusk of your day has reached its dawn".
5. Metalingus - Similar message to ODR, but I think the message gets lost by the incredible music. Flip's drumming is great. Love Marks harmonics and slides in the chorus. Myles last note in the bridge! The crushing outro. So damn good.
6. Broken Wings - Really chilling tone in this song, similar message to FTR. We can all relate to the suffering that the song describes, "On skinned knees I'm bleeding...I gotta find that meaning".
7. In Loving Memory - Just after I was given this album , I went to 4 funerals in a month. None were super personal, but the song made sense. I get chills thinking of Mark and this song on Live From Amsterdam.
8. Down To My Last - Another song about the struggle with things that bring you down that finishes with a great line that gives a solution, "You were always the only to help me see that to love is to shine. In your world I'm blind". That's you, D. I love guitar solos that mirror the melody the way this one does, too.
9. Watch Your Words - The main riff sounds like Metallica's Sad But True. I love when AB gets heavy like this. More answers to the problems, "I prefer to find a ceiling to this hate of mine"
10. Shed My Skin - Word for word, this song is what I was living at the time this album came to me. I saw a few rising suns back then. And the title was the answer to finding some peace today.
11. The End Is Here - Good title for the last song, right? One more reminder to keep looking for what is real, what matters. Really underrated song, too. This rips.

This album is so personal for me. My brother gave it to me when I was spending my time chasing the wrong priorities and wasting what was really important and right in front of me. The incredible music got me hooked and made me listen to the words that were exactly what I needed to hear when nothing else was getting through. It was the light in the dark and it made all the difference. I can't imagine anything else meaning to me what One Day Remains does.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Thankyou for sharing that brother

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Great explanations, Greg. :cheers

And dammit, every time I think about this thread, or come across it, I don't really have the time to devote to it. Soon!
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

So am I gonna be the dick that says it should be evoke and not provoke?
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Macca wrote:So am I gonna be the dick that says it should be evoke and not provoke?
I guess you are. :lol

Paddy35
Brand New Start

Post by Paddy35 »

EVERY Alter Bridge song is very important for me. Their lyrics help me to get out from hard situation and sometimes I found answer in their brilliant music. For example: Watch Over You means to me that girl I loved and she don't care about my broken heart but I must go on (It's in the song "Life Must Go On" too)...I found in their lyrics life situation every of us. Everybody can find yourself in their lyrics.
"We all fall sometimes you're not the first, but I know it hurts, yeah I know it hurts. In the end you'll find what you deserve. Still I konw it hurts, yeah I know ith hurts."

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I would do this but it would take too long. I have more than a paragraph to say about 60% of the songs

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Then do one at a time, AB23. I like your ideas around here, and I'd look forward to your opinions on the songs. Heck, Timo's been working on his for 5 months. You're both on AB album time schedules. ;)

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I think I might cry!

alterchris
TABN.com Citizen

Post by alterchris »

I'll shorten my story as much as possible so as not to lose interest. See below:

3. Open Your Eyes - Heard this song back in 2005 and thought "who the hell is this? They rock!". That's when I found Alter Bridge. Liked them a lot and somehow lost touch as I was going to school full-time & working full-time so I brain dumped almost anything that wasn't school related. I know...what a shame! What a shitty fan I was at the time! :facepalm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackbird
1. Ties That Bind - This is where it all starts for me. I had lost touch and heard this song playing Guitar Hero while deployed to Afghanistan during the Summer of 2011...yep that's right...Guitar Hero lol. Immediately bought the song on Amazon and did research on this record which was then 3 years old at the time.

I immediately ordered the CD and had it shipped to Afghanistan where I eagerly awaited it. Once it arrived I listened to every song probably 50 times or more in a 2-day span. I studied the lyrics to every song and just absorbed every bit of this album. Being in Afghanistan was such an intense part of my life and I felt that the Blackbird album described me to a T at that time. All of the emotions I felt were wrapped up in this album.

Even upon my return home which was a great part of my life, I continued to listen to the album every single day. Songs like Brand New Start I felt described my fresh beginning back home again whereas songs like One by One reminded me of my recent, yet intense past. My second day back I went out and purchased One Day Remains and ABIII. I also purchased tickets to the Carnival of Madness tour and made vacation plans around this tour just to see Alter Bridge live lol - what a great show! I even dragged my daughter to the show and she is now one of Alter Bridge's biggest fans! :yes

I now listen to all 3 albums religiously and daily; however, the Blackbird album was and still is pure gold to me. I've listened to the Blackbird album every single day for 2 years straight now and it hasn't gotten old...I don't think it ever will. :rockon

Thanks for reading

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

alterchris wrote:I'll shorten my story as much as possible so as not to lose interest. See below:

3. Open Your Eyes - Heard this song back in 2005 and thought "who the hell is this? They rock!". That's when I found Alter Bridge. Liked them a lot and somehow lost touch as I was going to school full-time & working full-time so I brain dumped almost anything that wasn't school related. I know...what a shame! What a shitty fan I was at the time! :facepalm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackbird
1. Ties That Bind - This is where it all starts for me. I had lost touch and heard this song playing Guitar Hero while deployed to Afghanistan during the Summer of 2011...yep that's right...Guitar Hero lol. Immediately bought the song on Amazon and did research on this record which was then 3 years old at the time.

I immediately ordered the CD and had it shipped to Afghanistan where I eagerly awaited it. Once it arrived I listened to every song probably 50 times or more in a 2-day span. I studied the lyrics to every song and just absorbed every bit of this album. Being in Afghanistan was such an intense part of my life and I felt that the Blackbird album described me to a T at that time. All of the emotions I felt were wrapped up in this album.

Even upon my return home which was a great part of my life, I continued to listen to the album every single day. Songs like Brand New Start I felt described my fresh beginning back home again whereas songs like One by One reminded me of my recent, yet intense past. My second day back I went out and purchased One Day Remains and ABIII. I also purchased tickets to the Carnival of Madness tour and made vacation plans around this tour just to see Alter Bridge live lol - what a great show! I even dragged my daughter to the show and she is now one of Alter Bridge's biggest fans! :yes

I now listen to all 3 albums religiously and daily; however, the Blackbird album was and still is pure gold to me. I've listened to the Blackbird album every single day for 2 years straight now and it hasn't gotten old...I don't think it ever will. :rockon

Thanks for reading
Awesome story dude. And major thanks for your military service as well.