The 4th Album - FORTRESS - Discuss The Album Here!

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Veno
Brand New Start

Re: The 4th Album

Post by Veno »

Well, AB already makes music they think we want to hear. In multiple interviews they say things like; "for this type of music", "safe radio songs", "to much for radio", ect. So they already make music based on the type of band they've classified themselves as. I think a lot of us want them to stop doing that. Stop making radio songs, stop playing it safe, be more creative and not so rigid. So the point of them being "them" that's what we want!!! Not to be confined to what they think they have to make - because they already do that.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly, don't know why they even bother caring about radio airplay when they have Creed. You don't have to be a radio band to be popular...

Also agree about the overdubs & effects on Myles vocals. Time for a new producer to be honest, unfortunately they will probably go with him again since they feel comfortable with him. No hate on elvis, sometimes bands just need to change it up.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Yeah. Maybe they should try Rick Rubin...
No, fuck Rick Rubin! They should try with Don Gilmore, Butch Vig, Nick Raskulinecz or Johnny K. I'd love to see 'em working with Johnny K.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Veno wrote:
Well, AB already makes music they think we want to hear. In multiple interviews they say things like; "for this type of music", "safe radio songs", "to much for radio", ect. So they already make music based on the type of band they've classified themselves as. I think a lot of us want them to stop doing that. Stop making radio songs, stop playing it safe, be more creative and not so rigid. So the point of them being "them" that's what we want!!! Not to be confined to what they think they have to make - because they already do that.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly, don't know why they even bother caring about radio airplay when they have Creed. You don't have to be a radio band to be popular...

Also agree about the overdubs & effects on Myles vocals. Time for a new producer to be honest, unfortunately they will probably go with him again since they feel comfortable with him. No hate on elvis, sometimes bands just need to change it up.
You see thats the problem... I think the guys get a really wrong picture about how their music is being liked by fans and critics, and some fans or critics just don't understand thats it just music at the end of the day... Most of Creed was not radio friendly... They were made to believe that they were... Most of AB was not metal/technical, they were made to believe they were... All in all, I don't think they guys should choose to be artistic with one band while ignoring another.. If they are in it for really being artists, do the right thing with both the bands and make some killer music... I don't see how Mark goes on claiming "oh yeah, AB, my more artistic band".. its a load of crap cuz 15 yeats back he was saying the same thing about Creed... Both AB and Creed are great with different potentials, I don't see the harm in the guys giving good time to each band and really being creative with each when they easily can.... I really really don't believe that the guys think ABIII was their best work yet, cuz in my opinion it was very average.. Same with full circle, they said this album was the best Creed album yet..... how could they claim something like that?
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

Dayviewer
Isolated

Post by Dayviewer »

Them Bones wrote: I really really don't believe that the guys think ABIII was their best work yet, cuz in my opinion it was very average.. Same with full circle, they said this album was the best Creed album yet..... how could they claim something like that?
You really think fans would buy it if they said ''Our new album is very average'' or ''This album is not the best we've done'' ? :lol
Formerly known as Benjami

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

/\

The point is... Make a good/great album and then Hype it.... If you make a great album, all the people who matter are gonna appreciate it, and most of them might just end up buying it... Its hypocritical saying that you are being the most creative when you actually are making the most commercial music of your entire career.... And fans who are just gonna buy it and agree with the band when they say "its the greatest album ever", when it actually isn't, are just fanboys.. they aren't in it for music... hype is what biebers need..

sumanth
Brand New Start

Post by sumanth »

Give Myles a good break before starting work on this album. He's easily one of the most consistent singers I've seen but even his voice just appears to be a bit strained with all the constant touring. Give him a break and I think it'll do his voice and the album a lot of good.
Nick Raskulinecz would be an interesting choice for a producer. I was listening to the new Rush album and it sounds fantastic. It would be good to see AB team up with him. The bands he's worked with definitely seem to be more creative while working with him.

Decay

Post by Decay »

:yeahthat

Dan Kyte
Brand New Start

Post by Dan Kyte »

Forgive this rather random post, guys and girls. But one of my favourite musicians, Ryan Bingham, once said about one of his records.. "This album isn't perfect but it's the best album I'm capable of making right now" - or words to that effect - I've always liked that quote... and I try to keep it in mind whenever I listen to my favourite musicians. Artists don't set out or intend to.. underwhelm and disappoint us. They are just making the best thing they can do.. right now. There's no need to harbour too much negativity if certain expectations of the band and their music aren't met. I really do think that the guys put their heart and soul into everything they do, and they are giving 100 percent.. for us. They aren't perfect, but the guys are still growing and learning, I mean.. AB3 was only their third album. So for those who may have been disappointed with AB3 - I think it's worth sticking with Myles, Mark, Brian and Flip.. because if anyone can address those disappointments with future material, it's these guys :)
"I heard someone say recently, 'No shit, no roses.' I thought that was interesting because, you know, you've got to fertilize them in something. I think we're all being fertilized with our own shit and we can choose to grow into fucking amazing people from it." - Glen Hansard (The Frames/The Swell Season)

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

sumanth wrote:Give Myles a good break before starting work on this album. He's easily one of the most consistent singers I've seen but even his voice just appears to be a bit strained with all the constant touring. Give him a break and I think it'll do his voice and the album a lot of good.
Nick Raskulinecz would be an interesting choice for a producer. I was listening to the new Rush album and it sounds fantastic. It would be good to see AB team up with him. The bands he's worked with definitely seem to be more creative while working with him.
Yeah, I think Alter Bridge needs someone like Nick Raskulinecz. I've read in interviews how much he was willing to push Rush to experiment and try new things. If he has the guts to do that with a legendary band like Rush, he should certainly be able to do it with Alter Bridge and goodness knows they need a little pushing.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

I really really don't believe that the guys think ABIII was their best work yet, cuz in my opinion it was very average..
See it's things like this that's my main problem with the type of criticisms people make of bands. "I don't like this stuff... therefore the people that wrote it obviously can't like it either so must be selling out / phoning it in / going with the crowd / whatever". People don't like the music and (hopefully) manage to express that without being insulting and make criticisms about the things that make them not like it, fair enough. Then they go ahead and try to invent motivations or thought processes for the artists behind the music to fit their opinions of the music. "Oh, they're obviously changing their sound just to try to appeal to younger people... why don't they do what they really want (by which I mean what I really want to hear)?"

I'd like for the members of Alter Bridge to know that they can do whatever they want with the music and most people probably wouldn't be put off, but the sad fact is if they continue to make music in a way you don't like (whether it's the production, not being progressive enough, being too melodic or being too heavy, or whatever else), the most likely truth is that is just what they want to do and what they think is the best album they could put out at that moment, and it obviously just isn't what you like. It might be more difficult to just say "This artist's idea of the good music to put out just isn't what I'd consider good" rather than imagine that they really share your opinions and would want to put out the album you want, but were held back by producers, fear of pushing boundaries, lack of criticism etc., but there's every indication that the music Tremonti and the rest of Alter Bridge make is just the music they want to make and in their opinion is the best.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Well OK that's all fine and dandy but we have to express more than "Hurrah" and "Boo". I don't think they're gonna read your post and mop their brow with relief that they can make albums the way they want to. Nothing wrong with speculating on reasons and stating preferences for direction. Alter Bridge don't need defending.

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

Crumbso wrote:Well OK that's all fine and dandy but we have to express more than "Hurrah" and "Boo". I don't think they're gonna read your post and mop their brow with relief that they can make albums the way they want to. Nothing wrong with speculating on reasons and stating preferences for direction. Alter Bridge don't need defending.
I don't expect anyone to change the way they post because of me complaining any more than people complaining about what Alter Bridge do with their music expect them to change because of it, but I'm as free to express my opinion. And I'm not trying to defend Alter Bridge - if anything I'd say if you think a musician is making bad music you can just blame them for it rather than assuming they recognise their output as being bad as well and actually want to make music you think is good but are held back by other factors. I suppose I get speculation about how they ended up making music a certain way (I do the same thing I'm sure), but as far as I'm concerned anything along the lines of "I think this album is bad so the band must think so too" is just ridiculous reasoning.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

RuRo.. you make me laugh...

aight... AB3... not my favorite album.. agreed... A lot of people love it here... the band loves it too.. But.............. Is it really their best work ever as they claim? really??? its not just a matter of personal tastes...

And.. I really think the guys are changing their sound so they could please people a.k.a fan boys.. its not very hard to see you know.. with the kind of music they are putting out... its good, but far from great.. its so bloody overhyped all of it... it sounds like songs are being written just to make a goddamn album and put it out... it sounds much more commercial now than ever... and if anybody can't see that.... then hey, you shouldn't have a problem listening to bieber's music..

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

More commercial than ever? How about Open Your Eyes? Mark's always written catchy music that fits well on the radio. Doesn't bother me.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

RuRo wrote:
Crumbso wrote:Well OK that's all fine and dandy but we have to express more than "Hurrah" and "Boo". I don't think they're gonna read your post and mop their brow with relief that they can make albums the way they want to. Nothing wrong with speculating on reasons and stating preferences for direction. Alter Bridge don't need defending.
I don't expect anyone to change the way they post because of me complaining any more than people complaining about what Alter Bridge do with their music expect them to change because of it, but I'm as free to express my opinion. And I'm not trying to defend Alter Bridge - if anything I'd say if you think a musician is making bad music you can just blame them for it rather than assuming they recognise their output as being bad as well and actually want to make music you think is good but are held back by other factors. I suppose I get speculation about how they ended up making music a certain way (I do the same thing I'm sure), but as far as I'm concerned anything along the lines of "I think this album is bad so the band must think so too" is just ridiculous reasoning.
I actually agree with you there. Anyone that thinks as such is plainly just deluded.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Them Bones wrote:snip

and if anybody can't see that.... then hey, you shouldn't have a problem listening to bieber's music..
Heh, real solid argument you have there.
For all of the hope that it brings...

artistbittner
Brand New Start

Post by artistbittner »

So, having read all the posts in this thread, I have come to the conclusion that yes, AB probably needs a different producer. I think Myles means well, but the lyrics on ABIII all seemed the same, and I missed Mark's songwriting. The dark vibe was ok, since I was also going through a similarly dark period where I lost my faith in people, and in the ability of good things to happen to me. That was a phase, and I think ABIII suits that moody interval we all experience.

Yes, I could deal with more uplifting songs in the vein of ODR for ABIV. One occasional dark gritty metal (Blackbird) is fine, but ABIII seemed to max out on those. Also, the sound editing from oh so soft to jamming was way too abrupt. I had to always adjust my volume button, or lose my hearing. Someone mentioned clipping. Yeah. It was jarring, especially on songs like Isolation.

Of the songs on ABIII, I eventually thought the best ones were Show Me A Sign, I Know It Hurts, Breathe Again, and Words Darker Than Their Wings. The thing I really missed on this album were the trademark Tremonti instrumental guitar solos. The only ones I really heard break through the din were in the four I mentioned, and on the B-side Never Born To Follow.... The existing solos fit inside the context of each song, yes, but they seemed rushed, as if there was always "this driving need" to return to the chorus. I could barely hear Marshall at all on ABIII. ( I could hear him very well on ODR and BB). Was it just me, or was Myles was having a hard time singing on the third album? He seemed so much more relaxed vocally on ODR, and BB. It seemed to me, that they made up for his hard time singing, by making Myles voice all echo-y, and I really got tired of that. Stapp relies on that echo-y thing very, very heavily, so it was most reminiscent of Creed. If you are going to have several voices singing, let them harmonize all at the same time. Don't do the bleeding over, echo-thing on every single line. Ick. The drumming could have used more variety, as several people mentioned earlier. Whether this is related to Flip not practicing as he "calls it," or too many songs with the same structuring, it does feel repetitive.

In terms of the band being progressive, it is hard to know what to point at for innovation, because progress means different things to different people. I personally want more uplifting words to hum along to; I need to hear Marshall's bass line; I definitely want more, non-rushed Tremonti guitar solo instrumentals. And Myles needs songs that let him breathe while singing.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

It's not necessarily that they need to become a band in the "Progressive" genre (Whatever the hell that means these days?!>! They all sound like a mishmash of Pink Porcupine Theater now anyway) I just wish they'd be happy to lean on instrumental passages a bit more. Some longer quiet passages would make the more metal/hard rockin' parts have much more impact.

They should play to all their strengths individually. Myles has the soul and bluesyness. Mark has the metal shreddyness. Myles sounds incredible as just himself. Mark has a great voice that he could push for some heavier parts (unfortunately he didn't seem to do so on "All I Was", so much potential). Just stretch out and relax a little more. Spend some time and see what happens. That would make me happy.

They are doing just fine though, they've gotten a better critical rep with every new album.

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

Decay wrote:
Yeah. Maybe they should try Rick Rubin...
No, fuck Rick Rubin! They should try with Don Gilmore, Butch Vig, Nick Raskulinecz or Johnny K. I'd love to see 'em working with Johnny K.
I will personally offer up a testicle to have Butch Vig do the next AB album. It will never happen, though.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Have you offered him such a deal? You never know until you try. Be proactive!
For all of the hope that it brings...