The Fortress Reviews Thread - press reviews & early listens

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
axlar
Site Admin

Re: The Fortress Reviews Thread - All Album Reviews Go Here

Post by axlar »

That's what I wrote too I think. Slowest song on the album. ;)
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I was just kinda confused when you said there wasn't really a song like Watch Over You on it, but I'm just reading too much into things lol.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

We've sort of come to expect an ILM/WOY/WL type song to be on every album. In a way it's kind of refreshing that they haven't followed that formula this time, purely because they haven 't followed a formula haha. I like that there seems to be a lot of feeling in the song choices, like Myles not taking lead because he wasn't connecting instead of just doing it anyway. Some real thought has gone in.

MylesKennedyIsGod
White Knuckled

Post by MylesKennedyIsGod »

DonHarry wrote:We've sort of come to expect an ILM/WOY/WL type song to be on every album. In a way it's kind of refreshing that they haven't followed that formula this time, purely because they haven 't followed a formula haha. I like that there seems to be a lot of feeling in the song choices, like Myles not taking lead because he wasn't connecting instead of just doing it anyway. Some real thought has gone in.
:yeahthat EXACTLY what i've been thinking as i've been listening to the last 3 albums in anticipation of Fortress....I will always stand by it: Alter Bridge is by 'far and away' :mkrules (sorry, i had to) the most diverse rock band out there
Thanks DonHarry!

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Thanks axlar (Stijn, apparently... as a dutch AB fan, I think I know who you are :D) for the 'review'! You're one lucky guy! :)

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

alterchris wrote:
AB23 wrote:I'm 100% sure I'll like most of the music, but I agree. Blackbird and ODR is alter bridge. I'm fine with then trying to advance and progress like every band does, but I don't think gradually getting heavier every album is the right way to achieve that
EXACTLY - going heavier is not necessarily progression unless for some strange reason that's what they're trying to achieve. These guys are already so great at what they do. I'm hoping they didn't go too far astray
I don't think you guys should worry. I may be inclined toward their heavier side but everything seemed completely natural. Melody was still felt like the major priority.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

Hi fix, welcome to the board. And i guess people tend to reckognise me :) Would I reckognise you?
"Sing it, Stijn!"

Decay

Post by Decay »

I really hope ''Calm The Fire'' won't let me down. I don't like the Muse thing (I don't like Muse, at all).

Therefromthestart04
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Therefromthestart04 »

To everyone worried about new Album there is no need to worry this album tears it up from the start all the boys bring there A game trust me you will love it its heavy but still got that AB sound ,lyrics are as always meaningful i left the party blown away by what i heard i dont like hype but this album is the best yet and ive been there since 2004. what shocked me was Brian and Flips playing they are a tour -de force on this album. 6 weeks and counting :)

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

Post by LadyJuliaJoanne »

Therefromthestart04 wrote:To everyone worried about new Album there is no need to worry this album tears it up from the start all the boys bring there A game trust me you will love it its heavy but still got that AB sound ,lyrics are as always meaningful i left the party blown away by what i heard i dont like hype but this album is the best yet and ive been there since 2004. what shocked me was Brian and Flips playing they are a tour -de force on this album. 6 weeks and counting :)
So glad to hear that. Can't wait for the album. I'm super excited.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

So am I, and absolutely not worried if it's the heaviest thing they've done yet. Being a long-time fan of Sonata Arctica, I'm used to MUCH more radical changes between albums (anyone who knows the band will know what I mean :D ) And also being a long-time metalhead, for me AB can't go wrong with heavy so bring it on ^^ Judging by these reviews I think I'll love the album a lot (except for the Muse-y song probably. Dislike Muse very much.)
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Decay

Post by Decay »

Lotha wrote:So am I, and absolutely not worried if it's the heaviest thing they've done yet. Being a long-time fan of Sonata Arctica, I'm used to MUCH more radical changes between albums (anyone who knows the band will know what I mean :D ) And also being a long-time metalhead, for me AB can't go wrong with heavy so bring it on ^^ Judging by these reviews I think I'll love the album a lot (except for the Muse-y song probably. Dislike Muse very much.)
:yeahthat

Jack_The_Riffer
Bought The CDs

Post by Jack_The_Riffer »

BRING ON THE METAL

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

Lotha wrote:Judging by these reviews I think I'll love the album a lot (except for the Muse-y song probably. Dislike Muse very much.)
Only the intro has the Muse feel.. the rest of the song very much sounds like true Alter Bridge as it should!
"Sing it, Stijn!"

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

axlar wrote:
Lotha wrote:Judging by these reviews I think I'll love the album a lot (except for the Muse-y song probably. Dislike Muse very much.)
Only the intro has the Muse feel.. the rest of the song very much sounds like true Alter Bridge as it should!
Well, that's good :D
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

axlar wrote:Hi fix, welcome to the board. And i guess people tend to reckognise me :) Would I reckognise you?
Nope! Haha! Haven't been a very dedicated fan like yourself so... But I enjoy AB so much that I wanted to be part of the hype here haha!

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

Welcome aboard anyways! :)
"Sing it, Stijn!"

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I can't lie, that they've gone heavy and away from the mid paced strummy stuff is such good news for me. If they've managed to combine the consistency of One Day Remains with the high points of Blackbird and ABIII, this gon' be good.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Nicklord
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Nicklord »

I don't understand that thing about Muse. Guitar sounds something like this?
0:05-0:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsapab5LwcY
or is just overall feel?

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

@Nick, if I recall correctly the intro doesn't use guitars, it's vocal only.. might have been something I should have added in my review.. lol...
"Sing it, Stijn!"