Fortress... A Disappointment?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Alter Bridge 23
Bought The CDs

Re: Fortress... A Disappointment?

Post by Alter Bridge 23 »

phatnonphatness wrote:I think one distinction that should be made is the expectations that some people had with this album. Personally, I didn't buy any of the hype, didn't read any track descriptions or even song titles, only gave the previews a few listens and wasn't all that impressed with Addicted to Pain. So I listened to the whole album twice with virtually no expectations before forming any opinions and it was a truly great experience.
I hadn't visited here in ages and the only info I got on the album was on facebook. I'm not that impressed. A couple of songs are good and most of them have good parts but overall I am still let down by the album even after a few listens. I didn't think ABIII was all that great as well. Solid album but not amazing.

joey78
TABN.com Citizen

Post by joey78 »

BennyWhatever wrote:I think they tried to make those changes in ABIII but failed.
On AB3 they tried to get heavy and still make a record like Blackbird. I feel a lot of the heavy riffs on AB3 were just pointless like the riff before the solo in GOGDB, and Wonderful Life got heavy towards the end, totally not required.
NytestrykerZ wrote: Add 'All Ends Well' and I'm with you. That chorus took an okay song and made it one of my favorite AB songs.
All Ends Well is the step-brother of "Life Must Go On"

I'm kinda happy with the record. It's a little more heavy than I wanted, but I think AB and Mark in particular needed to scratch that itch. The next record may continue in the same vein but after that they will go back to the BB sound. Everything comes full circle.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

Alter Bridge 23 wrote:
phatnonphatness wrote:I think one distinction that should be made is the expectations that some people had with this album. Personally, I didn't buy any of the hype, didn't read any track descriptions or even song titles, only gave the previews a few listens and wasn't all that impressed with Addicted to Pain. So I listened to the whole album twice with virtually no expectations before forming any opinions and it was a truly great experience.
I hadn't visited here in ages and the only info I got on the album was on facebook. I'm not that impressed. A couple of songs are good and most of them have good parts but overall I am still let down by the album even after a few listens. I didn't think ABIII was all that great as well. Solid album but not amazing.
Just to build on that, and I don't mean this to discredit you, Phatnonphatness (amazing username =D), but I was on here getting all of the updates I could and I listened to everything and I love the album. I honestly think that the album just didn't strike a chord with some people and they didn't enjoy it. The bottom line is simply that some didn't like what they heard and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Alteredge
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Alteredge »

For me i just dont want alterbridge to make black bird or odr again..

love this metal and progressive sound and dont expect they will come down to rock..
no way they will keep getting high :headbang :headbang :headbang

Bman2112
Brand New Start

Post by Bman2112 »

What really makes me scratch my head is that some fans were rating songs off Fortress in their top 5 ever AB songs. I can understand maybe one, at a push 2, but all of them........ this is 'fan-boyism' (is that a word)? at it worst.

This is a band that has given us recognised fan (not just mine) classics in Open Your Eyes, Metalingus, In Loving Memory, Broken Wings, Blackbird, Come to Life, Watch over You, Rise Today, Brand New Start, Ghost of days gone by, Wonderful life...... READ THAT LIST AGAIN......

So some people think there are 5 songs off the new album better than those listed above...... I can't help but shake my head. Sure, as I have said i think there are 4 excellent songs off the album but even my favourite isn't close to being in my top 5 ever AB songs.

I think someone was making the point that the album is overall very 'solid', but it just doesn't have a lot of 'classic' moments that One Day Remains has and also Blackbird. We can all argue about AB3, however i think it's a pretty solid effort personally.....yes a bit samey, but pretty solid.

Just to clarify my stance here. I absolutely sit on the side of the fence where the 'disappointed' fans sit, which is why i'm only posting in this part of the forum. Do i hate the album? Absolutely not! I think 67% of the album (8/12) songs are either excellent or good. It's just i was expecting so much more from a band that has given us the recognised 'classics' listed above and even more so after i heard Cry of Achilles for the first time.

If i were to do an all time AB playlist i would only have Cry of Achillis, Addicted to Pain, Calm the Fire and All Ends Well on it. That's a very poor return for a new album.

I'll keep trying this album. I need to 'get' the 4 songs i do not like.... Waters Rising, Bleed it Dry, Fortress and Farther than the Sun. Once i 'get' these (which i'm sure is possible), then this album takes on a very different complexion.

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

Inconquerable wrote:
Alter Bridge 23 wrote: I hadn't visited here in ages and the only info I got on the album was on facebook. I'm not that impressed. A couple of songs are good and most of them have good parts but overall I am still let down by the album even after a few listens. I didn't think ABIII was all that great as well. Solid album but not amazing.
Just to build on that, and I don't mean this to discredit you, Phatnonphatness (amazing username =D), but I was on here getting all of the updates I could and I listened to everything and I love the album. I honestly think that the album just didn't strike a chord with some people and they didn't enjoy it. The bottom line is simply that some didn't like what they heard and there's nothing wrong with that at all.
Just to clarify I didn't mean that people who did x like the album, and people who did y did not like the album. I'm just saying that for me, the listening experience was enhanced by having little information about the album. I'm sure others did the same, which may help explain a bit of the over-the-top positive reception to those who are disappointed.

Alter Bridge 23
Bought The CDs

Post by Alter Bridge 23 »

Bman2112 wrote:What really makes me scratch my head is that some fans were rating songs off Fortress in their top 5 ever AB songs. I can understand maybe one, at a push 2, but all of them........ this is 'fan-boyism' (is that a word)? at it worst.

This is a band that has given us recognised fan (not just mine) classics in Open Your Eyes, Metalingus, In Loving Memory, Broken Wings, Blackbird, Come to Life, Watch over You, Rise Today, Brand New Start, Ghost of days gone by, Wonderful life...... READ THAT LIST AGAIN......

So some people think there are 5 songs off the new album better than those listed above...... I can't help but shake my head. Sure, as I have said i think there are 4 excellent songs off the album but even my favourite isn't close to being in my top 5 ever AB songs.

I think someone was making the point that the album is overall very 'solid', but it just doesn't have a lot of 'classic' moments that One Day Remains has and also Blackbird. We can all argue about AB3, however i think it's a pretty solid effort personally.....yes a bit samey, but pretty solid.

Just to clarify my stance here. I absolutely sit on the side of the fence where the 'disappointed' fans sit, which is why i'm only posting in this part of the forum. Do i hate the album? Absolutely not! I think 67% of the album (8/12) songs are either excellent or good. It's just i was expecting so much more from a band that has given us the recognised 'classics' listed above and even more so after i heard Cry of Achilles for the first time.

If i were to do an all time AB playlist i would only have Cry of Achillis, Addicted to Pain, Calm the Fire and All Ends Well on it. That's a very poor return for a new album.

I'll keep trying this album. I need to 'get' the 4 songs i do not like.... Waters Rising, Bleed it Dry, Fortress and Farther than the Sun. Once i 'get' these (which i'm sure is possible), then this album takes on a very different complexion.

I agree with almost all of this post. I don't think I would add any of these songs to my top 10 AB songs of all time yet. MAYBE Cry of Achilles. It's a decent CD but most of the songs sound alike and the mixing is so bad you don't even hear much guitar very clearly other than in solos and such.

Only part I disagree with of your post is Bleed it Dry is one of my favorites on the CD. But it is bland in a lot of places it just has cool parts in it. Same goes for Fortress. Cool parts but overall is meh.

Does anyone actually think Cry of Achilles is better than Blackbird the song? I don't think it's even close.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Why is it 'Fanboy-ism' if someone prefers songs of Fortress instead of songs you personally believe to be their best work? When did you become the authority on everyone else's opinion?

I get that people don't like Fortress but some of you are coming accross offended at the sight of people enjoying it more than ODR's and BB. Why does it irk you so?

TREMONSTER
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TREMONSTER »

:yeahthat
*Courtesy of Alter Bridge Bangladesh Facebook

julio
Isolated

Post by julio »

I will say I find it annoying how myle's sings "belong" and "be gone" in Farther Than The Sun

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I don't think anything tops Blackbird the song. Blackbird the album? Yeah. Fortress is more consistent and has more high points than ODR. It's a little more consistent than Blackbird, if not containing a song as mind blowing as Blackbird. It's definitely more consistent and has many more high points than AB III.

So far I'd say Fortress is the most complete album they've created while having several high points throughout and barely any filler.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Bman2112 wrote:This is a band that has given us recognised fan (not just mine) classics in Open Your Eyes, Metalingus, In Loving Memory, Broken Wings, Blackbird, Come to Life, Watch over You, Rise Today, Brand New Start, Ghost of days gone by, Wonderful life...... READ THAT LIST AGAIN......

I have no qualms in saying that I think there are a good few songs on Fortress that are vastly superior to some of the songs you mentioned there.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Bman2112 wrote:What really makes me scratch my head is that some fans were rating songs off Fortress in their top 5 ever AB songs. I can understand maybe one, at a push 2, but all of them........ this is 'fan-boyism' (is that a word)? at it worst.

Dude, it's not 'fanboyism' to put some songs from Fortress in your top five. It's not a crime to think some of the stuff from Fortress is better than a lot of the stuff they've done in the past. I happen to have Calm the Fire and Cry of Achilles in my top five list now. Out of all the songs you listed, only Blackbird and Brand New Start are top five material for me. Criticism is one thing, but now you're just being kind of an arrogant shit.
Last edited by Arctic on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

joey78
TABN.com Citizen

Post by joey78 »

Why doesn't Farther than the Sun get mentioned ? Brutal Riff going on during the verses.

and someone mentioned there was a lack of soaring choruses on this record ? Almost 10 songs on Fortress have soaring choruses.

The only songs that kinda fall short for me are Waters Rising and Fortress.

Cry of Achilles is good but not as good as they hyped it up to be.

And fanboyism ? well not sure you could call it that but yeah putting 5 songs in your all time AB favorites IS a bit much ..but it will change once the novelty wears off.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

It's a bit much TO YOU. That's your opinion. And no, I really don't think it will change.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Some people said the choruses didn't live up to the rest of the songs. But somehow EVERY time I listened to ANY Fortress song the chorus of that song stick in my head. I'll be getting coffee en whistle Calm The Fire or Fortress. I don't get the critique haha!

Waters Rising may be the exception but that haunting bridge/outro riff sticks just as hard! Love the vibe of that song... Man, I can't help but like this album! But it's very different (except for maybe 2/3 songs) from what I'm used to hearing/expected from AB! Most obvious on Cry Of Achilles and Calm The Fire.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

joey78 wrote:but it will change once the novelty wears off.
Not necessarily, man. Some people know a good thing when they see/hear it, you know? I wouldn't put five songs from Fortress in my all time top-five but I honestly think I could squeeze two in there and for a band that already has over 40 songs I think that's pretty impressive. Sometimes, sure, you can put something higher in your estimation because it's new and fresh and whatnot - so I wouldn't be surprised if ratings of 9 and 10 fall by a couple of numbers for one or two people. But I'll be very surprised if a ton of people drastically change their tune with this record. I was on the boards during the release of AB3 (albeit under a different name) and I just think the vibe around that time isn't comparable to now. Back then.. people were obviously excited for the new music but very few people put it on an un-realistic pedestal after they heard it. It was mostly more along the lines of.. "So happy to hear some new Alter Bridge." or "It's a good album - here are some of my favourites." and.. so on.. and so forth. The excitement of now is very different in my opinion.

AndrewW500
Brand New Start

Post by AndrewW500 »

All I will say, is that you know it's a damn good album if you are worried about being disappointed when going back and listening to ABIII, Blackbird and ODR after Fortress.

Bman2112
Brand New Start

Post by Bman2112 »

Arctic wrote:

Dude, it's not 'fanboyism' to put some songs from Fortress in your top five. It's not a crime to think some of the stuff from Fortress is better than a lot of the stuff they've done in the past. I happen to have Calm the Fire and Cry of Achilles in my top five list now. Out of all the songs you listed, only Blackbird and Brand New Start are top five material for me. Criticism is one thing, but now you're just being kind of an arrogant shit.

OK I'll bite.....

You're still not reading some of my other points about how the album is 'overall' very good, but doesn't have the stand out moments that the other albums have. I couldn't give a toss if you think Water's Rising is the best song they've ever written (not that you do)...... I'll just crack on knowing that In Loving Memory and Metalingus are vastly superior songs, and 3 yrs from now, will still be revered as being such.

You may well be right in saying Cry and Calm will be fan favourites for yrs to come - i agree with that, they are the best two songs on the album. I just (stupidly) thought that we'd get 7-8 songs of that quality.

And yes, my personal opinion is that when i read some people having ALL Fortress songs in their top 5 i just have to laugh. That's typically what you get when maybe you're young (and again, not saying you are) and are over-excited by a new release. I used to do that quite a bit when i was young. A favourite band of mine would release an album and for 2 weeks I'd think it's the best music they've ever done (I'm talking about a band called Rush here, and TBH anything from the early 90's from them doesn't get close to their early 80's output). But i still did it, probably through excitement.

So, sorry if i'm being an arrogant shit......I'm just voicing an opinion in an as constructive way as possible, knowing that people like you will 'have a pop' at me because they think it's a direct attack on people that have a different opinion. No-one can win this argument for the time being. Maybe in 3 months we'll agree when i suddenly rate the album 9/10. :dance

For the final time, it's a good album.......just not what 'I' was expecting. :cheers

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

OK I'll bite.....
But you're the one baiting everyone....
I'll just crack on knowing that In Loving Memory and Metalingus are vastly superior songs, and 3 yrs from now, will still be revered as being such.
But you don't 'know' that. You don't even know the difference between opinion and fact so how can you see into the future?
And yes, my personal opinion is that when i read some people having ALL Fortress songs in their top 5 i just have to laugh.
Why is that funny? Again, you're so offended by someone preferring Fortress to your beloved ODR's. Why? I can't fathom why you care so deeply and feel the need to set everyone straight with what they 'should' be preferring. It makes no sense.
That's typically what you get when maybe you're young (and again, not saying you are) and are over-excited by a new release.
What's the age limit on a valid opinion? I'm 26, am I mature enough to form an opinion or do I still need you to sculpt me one?
So, sorry if i'm being an arrogant shit
I don't think you're arrogant but you are being a bit of a dick. People have voiced their disappointment in a civilised way, you've essentially degraded the quality of the thread with your overly hostile Ill founded comments.

Don't get so wound up because people like the new album better than their previous work. It shouldn't bother you.