What is your favorite AB album?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: What is your favorite AB album?

Post by NytestrykerZ »

One Days Remains by a mile. Stronger songwriting, better riffs, better leads, better vocals, more groove, more open space, less alt-metal... I could go on.

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

Blackbird easily. The decision after that is a little closer but I'd probably say

Blackbird > AB III > One Day Remains

Blackbird not only contains their absolute best songs, but apart from just a couple of duds (Before Tomorrow Comes, Rise Today, Break Me Down) the rest are all so good it's hard to pick which are the standouts.

One Day Remains is great and is obviously the album that I got into them with, but when Blackbird came out it surpassed it. It has a lot of classic songs on it and my least favourite song from it is better than my least favourite songs from Blackbird or AB III. But then again, those do have far more songs (including bonus tracks) so it makes sense they have one or two weaker songs. My favourite song from ODR these days is The End Is Here, a fantastic and underrated song on this album (which is surprising even though ODR is overrated).

Unlike some people here I have no problem with AB III, I like every song on it and my least favourite is probably Wonderful Life. Slip To The Void ranks among their very best songs and the rest of the album after that is entirely solid (even Breathe Again turns out very well). And the weakest tracks on ODR may be ahead of one or two tracks on AB III, but I feel like the majority of the album is stronger than a good chunk of ODR, and while ODR has several great songs I usually find myself favouring AB III when comparing them.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Blackbird.
It was released when my Alter Bridge "fan-ism" was at its strongest, and also the same week my father died. Not only does it contain the single most important song to me in my life "Blackbird"; it is jam packed with their best riffs, solos and melodies. I love every song on the record and love the feeling i get when remembering every other time I've listened to those songs. The stand out moment for Blackbird was "Coming Home".. When I first heard that song; I knew they had taken a huge step into the "big rock" genre..

Love it. Love it.

JamesPB
Brand New Start

Post by JamesPB »

I don't necessarily think any of the albums are worse than the others, I just think it's a case of them being different. That being said, One Day Remains is my favourite of their studio albums.

Will
Still Remains

Post by Will »

AB IV
PHOTOSHOPPING IS FOR SCHMUCKS

luke62
White Knuckled

Post by luke62 »

After being on board from the start, I'm leaning towards Blackbird.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

One Day Remains all the way.

ODR : 10/10
BB : 8/10
ABIII : 6.5/10
NytestrykerZ wrote:One Days Remains by a mile. Stronger songwriting, better riffs, better leads, better vocals, more groove, more open space, less alt-metal... I could go on.
:bow

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

One Day Remains, definitely. When Blackbird came out, I quickly thought it was my favourite, but after the novelty of new music wore off, ODR still stood up as a stronger showcase to me. The novelty of AB III for me wore off even faster than Blackbird.

With that said, One Day Remains was the album that I discovered Alter Bridge with, so I think I may find it hard to separate the album, objectively, from that feeling I got from discovering new music without any preconceived notions of what it would sound like. Whereas with Blackbird and AB III, I had actual expectations that were likely a little too high.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

NytestrykerZ wrote:One Days Remains by a mile. Stronger songwriting, better riffs, better leads, better vocals, more groove, more open space, less alt-metal... I could go on.
:yeahthat

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Oh man! Look at all the love for ODR!!! :cloud9

It's funny because I see so many people talking about how they wished Myles had a greater hand in songwriting and arrangement. But then ODR often emerges as the favorite, and obviously that album was basically entirely written by Mark.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

It's tough, I think One Day Remains is a far more consistent album with there being very few, if any moments that I don't like. Whereas, both ABIII and Blackbird have some songs that are better than anything on One Day Remains, as well as some that are worse than anything on it.

If I trimmed those two albums down to my 11 favourites they'd probably come out on top against One Day Remains, with ABIII edging it to the win (I might even prefer Blackbird if allowed to include b-sides in the 11, but that's getting far too theoretical).
For all of the hope that it brings...

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Huge battle between ABIII and BB for me. If I could placed Ties That Bind, Come to Life, Brand New Start, Buried Alive, Rise Today, Blackbird, Wayward One, Slip to The Void, Isolation, All Hope is Gone, I Know it Hurts and Show Me a Sign on the one disk, then it would be the greatest album. ODR is pretty close, but I prefer the heavier side of AB, nonetheless Open Your Eyes is a classic song that brought me into AB, besides that I can't live without listening to Burn it Down, The End is Here and Find the Real very often.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

abw1987 wrote:Oh man! Look at all the love for ODR!!! :cloud9

It's funny because I see so many people talking about how they wished Myles had a greater hand in songwriting and arrangement. But then ODR often emerges as the favorite, and obviously that album was basically entirely written by Mark.
I've always preferred Mark's writing to Myles' personally.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:I like Watch Your Words a lot. LOVE the vocals. Raw, powerful, emotive and beautiful all mixed into one.

That one isn't a fan favorite, but I really like it. Then again I love literally every second of ODR.

One Day Remains is my favourite album as well. Not a single bad song in it... Great vocals, riffs, lyrics,songwriting... great everything. Even the heavier tunes.. I like Find The Real, Metallingus , ODR better than any other heavy song that AB has done.... The album was not monotonous unlike bb and III.. Blackbird And AB3 seem forced to me except a couple of songs... BB and III have a very synthetic vibe that I can't overlook..

Watch your words is one of my favorites..... not trying to start anything here... but I think watch your words is a song that fits Creed perfectly.. Its the last song by Tremonti that I think sounds like the classic creed.. The song could have easily been on My Own Prison or Human Clay.... Good mid tempo heavy riffs and a melancholy... and great vocals by Myles.... miss that kinda stuff...
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Them Bones wrote:Watch your words is one of my favorites..... not trying to start anything here... but I think watch your words is a song that fits Creed perfectly.. Its the last song by Tremonti that I think sounds like the classic creed.. The song could have easily been on My Own Prison or Human Clay.... Good mid tempo heavy riffs and a melancholy... and great vocals by Myles.... miss that kinda stuff...
I've always thought Watch Your Words kinda sounded like Metallica's Sad but True.
Af for the Creed similarity, I sometimes wonder how Stapp would have sounded on songs like Broken Wings, Open Your Eyes, In Loving Memory and especially Down to my Last and The End is Here. With his own lyrics and and with his then great voice, Stapp could have turned those songs into amazing Creed tunes.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, Stapp was very unlucky.. Those songs could've become classic Creed songs..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

chtimixeur wrote: I've always thought Watch Your Words kinda sounded like Metallica's Sad but True.
Af for the Creed similarity, I sometimes wonder how Stapp would have sounded on songs like Broken Wings, Open Your Eyes, In Loving Memory and especially Down to my Last and The End is Here. With his own lyrics and and with his then great voice, Stapp could have turned those songs into amazing Creed tunes.
Agreed with the Metallica impression.
Unfortunately the idea of Scott Stapp singing Broken Wings is a bit beyond me.

My vote goes for Blackbird.
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------
Past shows: Alter Bridge 10.11 NL, Kensington 11.11 NL, Alter Bridge 16.11 PL
Future shows: Kensington 15.02 DE, Kensington 17.02 PL, Rival Sons 18.02 PL

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Lol the idea of Stapp singing any AB song gives me a headache.

Myles' voice adapting over time has a big impact on my opinions too.. The warm, deeper tones in ODR are much more appealing to us as hard rock fans, we dont tend to go for the shriller, more piercing tones that he has since adapted working with Slash.. Shame really, but i think Blackbird was where his voice was strongest and most "in the AB groove" as they were on a real roll at that time.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

One Day Remains

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Jim wrote:Lol the idea of Stapp singing any AB song gives me a headache.
I'm not making this up
Well “Before the Remains” that was our first record to get back out there [as Alter Bridge], and I think a lot of the songs were on the Creed backburner for a while – there were new songs written but some of them date back to that Creed era.
Brian Marshall, 2012
http://www.therockpit.net/2012-Articles ... ckpit.html