AB V

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Re: AB V

Post by slasherbridge »

Yes. Yes you are.

It is my least favorite song on the album, but it's still awesome to my ears.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

slasherbridge wrote:It is my least favorite song on the album, but it's still awesome to my ears.
But, but... that bridge!!!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I loved it when Myles used his full voice to go to the higher notes. The notes he hits in songs like Summergirl aren't as high as those in Breathe Again, but the intensity is so much bigger.

I thought in 2007-2008, he used a perfect mix of his "old" and his "new" voice, especially live.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

Potential track name on AB V: Scream of Odysseus

sam1oq
Brand New Start

Post by sam1oq »

I'd love AB get more progressive, or "experimental" as others like to call it. A few ideas would be longer songs, less standard song structures (verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus), less mid tempo songs and Mark adding the cookie monster vocals to his repertoire.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I'm going to digress on the cookie monster vocals. They are not that kind of band to pull that off, always emphasizing on the melody on the vocals. I wouldn't like it.

sam1oq
Brand New Start

Post by sam1oq »

I think that a roar here and there would be pretty nice. Like how Benjamin Burnley sometimes roared in Breaking Benjamin, but then better. I don't think a whole verse or chorus should have a cookie monster, at most one or two sentences. That might give a little shock and a nice bunch of extra power to songs. You could use it as an introduction to a big/epic instrumental section or for a song for example. It works great as an introduction to something in general if you use it right.

Cookie monster vocals can also go with melody. There is a genre called Melodic Death Metal in case you didn't know. Again, I don't want AB to go full cookie monster, but a few roars here and there could certainly work. Especially in the more aggressive songs.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Mr. Slash wrote: Not really. I mean the verses of Cry A River are rather agressive but it's not the same distorted sounding Myles that I loved on BB and every album before.
Since we are talking about Cry A River: Am I the only one who thinks that the chorus totally destroys the song?
Destroys is probably too strong a term for me, but it does stop it from getting off the ground whenever I listen to it. Everything else is so interesting, then the chorus just goes bleh.
For all of the hope that it brings...

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

I think it's a solid chorus. It's definitely one of the weakest on the album, but I don't think they've ever had a "bad" chorus.

Cariocawlad
Bought The CDs

Post by Cariocawlad »

Alterbridge should do a double progressive album...not Tremonti!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I'm always for AB doing a double-album, but I don't want it to be a fully prog album though.

Here are my thoughts on it, back during the Tremonti writing sessions.
Maybe, Mark can save the double-disc idea for the next AB album. Maybe they (AB) can attempt to go Physical Graffiti and have that huge collection of range of musical styles. Just a random thought there.
I mean I'm for them doing strange and weird things and write longer pieces and trying new stuff out with songs like Calm the Fire and Fortress. That said, I would be a tad unsatisfied if they didn't do that other stuff like the high-energy radio singles, the ballads, etc. because they just do that stuff better than any other contemporary band, imo.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I'd rather have them focus on 10-12 songs. Quality >quantity. There aren't many bands that can pull of double-albums anyway.

Now if there's really a concept and they stand behind it from the beginning of the process, it would be another story, but I don't really see something like that happen. They'd probably write 20 songs and afterwords randomly decide that they're gonna release all the songs on 2 discs.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Cry of Achilles is how I like AB's proggy side. As long as they keep the 'rawness' that makes AB AB it's okay for me. AB's one of the few hard rock bands I can stand, because there are soooo many watered-down, commercial sounding, slick and unoriginal bands in the genre. AB is one of the few bands that can do a mid-tempo song without falling into those 'pits', and is right on the right point between metal and hard rock. I think that's why Europe likes AB.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Timotheus wrote:I'd rather have them focus on 10-12 songs. Quality >quantity. There aren't many bands that can pull of double-albums anyway.
This is very true. The last Conspirators record has 15 tracks but none of them got me excited. Should they had focused on 10-12 and worked on them they would have done it better.

AB is still capable of writing unique, great tracks, CoA and Fortress are the best examples but I don't think they are ever going to move completely into expermental area (I'm not using the word "progressive" cause some people here are gonna freak out, lol). It would be great if ABV could have 10 tracks 3-4 being in the same vein as CoA or Fortress.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I dunno why people keep referring to AB songs as progressive. Blackbird, Cry of Achilles, and Fortress are all longer songs so they have no choice other than to break the 3 chorus mold but just because they're not following the stencil doesn't mean the additional content is necessarily progressive.

To me, it takes more than a delta in song structure. If they were doing odd pairings like a bass / drum duet solo, going silent for all but the voice for an intro or bridge, using swells in a unique way like one of the songs on the upcoming Tremonti album(s), trying out a crazy pedal circuit, or one of a dozen other things, I might consider that progressive but the way they use the additional time on their longer tracks is just standard AB awesomesauce to me.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Well put. I totally agree.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

Progressive radio rock. :lol

I would say for the style they play though, yeah they are totally progressive. Obviously not stacked up to other actual "progressive" bands.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

slasherbridge wrote:Progressive radio rock. :lol

I would say for the style they play though, yeah they are totally progressive. Obviously not stacked up to other actual "progressive" bands.
Yeah, that's probably as good as you can describe them. The thing is what bands fits that bill along with them? Other than Sevendust, maybe, I have no clue.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

I wouldn't even lump Sevendust in with them. I've tried getting into them and haven't had much luck.

There's something different about AB.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

anguyen92 wrote:The thing is what about bands fits that bill along with them?
Apparently any band if you count Sevendust to be one of them. No offense to Sevendust, I like them.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.