Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: ABV named "The Last Hero"

Post by Timotheus »

You haven't even heard the song yet. I'd rather have a politically relevant song in stead of another song about how we can't deny that past is gone and we must have faith.

I doubt they'd write a song about the elections radical enough to alienate fans.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Timotheus wrote:You haven't even heard the song yet. I'd rather have a politically relevant song in stead of another song about how we can't deny that past is gone and we must have faith.

I doubt they'd write a song about the elections radical enough to alienate fans.
Maybe he's ultra prescient and Island of Fools was about the EU referendum. "Dreams of Brexit are a toxic mirage/From massive cockwombles like Nigel Farage".

Cradle to the Grave is about the fiscal problems faced by the welfare state.
For all of the hope that it brings...

abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: YEAH... THAT

Post by abw1987 »

Crumbso wrote:The Blackbird era prevalence of the live set I always took as them having a lack of time to rehearse the newer songs and/or develop a different live set flow. It's like they know how a show goes using those songs and they haven't had enough time with all these different projects to really focus on it.
:yeahthat Y'all will recall that Blackbird was the band's last album before the Creed reunion, Slash, and Tremonti. The Blackbird songs are comfortable for the guys, and the crowds react well to them, so I doubt they feel much pressure to rehearse all the rare tracks given their limited bandwidth.
Ubik wrote:
Vaux wrote:I will say that I was a little disappointed to hear that any songs will be about the elections.
I don't think he meant he'd be referring to it explicitly, more that he was using it as inspiration to write on broader themes of leadership and heroism, which has been an interest of Myles for years already.
:yeahthat I certainly didn't notice any specific references to presidential candidates or particular campaign-related events. I think the commentary is more general: the divisiveness, the tumult, the feelings of lost hope, etc.

On and I totally agree with Fish Tacos's thoughts regarding "Never Wrong" :X.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Timotheus wrote:I'd rather have a politically relevant song in stead of another song about how we can't deny that past is gone and we must have faith.
Lmao

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Fuck what people think they should write. A band always sounds better writing whatever gets their juices going.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, when writing they should never have to worry about the fans they might lose.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Timotheus wrote:I doubt they'd write a song about the elections radical enough to alienate fans.
That's a shame. I'd love a tune about Donald Trump getting his hands on the nuclear codes and then the ensuing apocalypse. That wouldn't alienate anybody, would it? :D Any photoshop wizards fancy putting Trump's face on Tremonti's Cauterise/Dust artwork?

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Rawr

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Dan Dando wrote:
Timotheus wrote:I doubt they'd write a song about the elections radical enough to alienate fans.
That's a shame. I'd love a tune about Donald Trump getting his hands on the nuclear codes and then the ensuing apocalypse. That wouldn't alienate anybody, would it? :D Any photoshop wizards fancy putting Trump's face on Tremonti's Cauterise/Dust artwork?
Or a song about Trump saying something stupid and racist and their being outlast because of it

Wait, that happens already

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Timotheus wrote:Yea, when writing they should never have to worry about the fans they might lose.
Honestly, artists who care more about their own art than anything else really shouldn't. Opeth has been a good example of late. A lot of fans didn't like their last album and the band didn't really care. At the end of the day, musicians have to be happy with what they're doing instead of worrying about pleasing a bunch of people.

There is another side to this though. If you're really concerned about ticket/album sales and radio play, you have to be pretty aware of what you're writing. I think it comes down to what kind of band you want to be, and every band has different priorities to some degree.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

The band have always included themes and lyrical content that is contextual to current worldwide situations and happenings. Just because they don't directly say it; they write from the perspective of those who feel certain ways towards the current state of things..

.. If that makes sense..

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I remember some absolute meltdowns when Rise Today was first released :lol
For all of the hope that it brings...

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

I loved Rise Today.. That second verse always got me excited

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Ubik wrote:
Maybe he's ultra prescient and Island of Fools was about the EU referendum. "Dreams of Brexit are a toxic mirage/From massive cockwombles like Nigel Farage".
QOTY material for me right there good sir :D
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Andy92 wrote:
Timotheus wrote:Yea, when writing they should never have to worry about the fans they might lose.
Honestly, artists who care more about their own art than anything else really shouldn't.
I think Steven Wilson is another example of an artist caring about their art more than what fans want. Each album has a change of direction, yet he gets more and more critical acclaim with every album he releases. If he wanted to give the fans what they wanted he would have reunited Porcupine Tree by now. The plus side of this is that the fans are largely happy for Steven to write whatever the hell he wants. I wish AB were a bit more like that in that respect. I recall interviews prior to Fortress being released where Myles was saying how they think they've got everything that the fans would want on the album, and I think that kind of mindset can hold them back.

Bob_BleedItDry
Neon Impossible

Post by Bob_BleedItDry »

Wow you should write reviews for a living
AllC392Was wrote:* REVIEW TIME*

ALTER BRIDGE - THE LAST HERO

I won't do a song by song review because I can barely remember anyof it and I was on the rail so I couldn't hear too much detail.

1. I love the intro to the first track of the album. Its about a minute of per heavy instrumentals. I really liked the chorus too. There is a bit of a pause in the middle of the chorus that is very different from what we are used too.

2. 2nd song was eh to me

3. 1 song sounded like a pop song from the 90's that I can't recall. But it was dead on.

4. Like I said its a lot of detail that I couldn't remember from 1 times listening through but honestly they all sounded the same after awhile...

5. Myles sings higher than he ever has. He was hitten them high notes

6. Mark seems to have evolved with his solos. He surprised me a few times.

7. Myles has more solos on this record too. He has those jazzy stuff but also is a speed demon on some of those.

8. That one epic that they have was eh.

Right now I'm gonna give it a 6/10... It was just way to much detail at once and there wasn't a song that made me say holy shit! So.. I'm sure it'll be my favorite album at some point but I wasn't wowed.

luke62
White Knuckled

Post by luke62 »

Vaux wrote:I will say that I was a little disappointed to hear that any songs will be about the elections. I know AB has always kind of had that "let's all change the world!" type of anthem, which is fine. But I just can't handle any more bands getting into politics. No matter your view, I don't want to hear you singing about how terrible Trump is or how terrible Clinton is. I don't want to hear your dumb shit about gay rights or black lives matter or anything else. You are turning off your fans with that crap. Keep the shit to yourself and play fun songs. I pretty much don't even consider myself a Pearl Jam fan anymore because of all their political crap.
I agree. I don't mind the themes and all. Just don't beat me over the head with it. I think some bands get too deep into political causes that they forget there could be a large number of fans who disagree with them. Unless that's your jam, people will turn away from it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ It's not like AB is going to outright mention any specific names or mention any polarizing views to the ground. Jim mentioned it, but they are pretty subtle about certain lyrics, and it's not they are asking you to agree or disagree with these views.
Jim wrote:The band have always included themes and lyrical content that is contextual to current worldwide situations and happenings. Just because they don't directly say it; they write from the perspective of those who feel certain ways towards the current state of things..

.. If that makes sense..
Calm The Fire is certainly a song that relates very very well in light of recent events.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

BSC wrote:
Andy92 wrote:
Honestly, artists who care more about their own art than anything else really shouldn't.
I think Steven Wilson is another example of an artist caring about their art more than what fans want. Each album has a change of direction, yet he gets more and more critical acclaim with every album he releases. If he wanted to give the fans what they wanted he would have reunited Porcupine Tree by now. The plus side of this is that the fans are largely happy for Steven to write whatever the hell he wants. I wish AB were a bit more like that in that respect. I recall interviews prior to Fortress being released where Myles was saying how they think they've got everything that the fans would want on the album, and I think that kind of mindset can hold them back.
He's another one that crossed my mind when I was thinking about that. I agree that I think it can affect an artist's creativity in some way, but I guess it depends on the artist.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Guys, this has been on facebook for 30 minutes now. Stop slacking ;)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.