Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Mister Gold
TABN.com Citizen

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by Mister Gold »

AB23 wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:Anyone else think The Other Side lyric is inspired by the Paris shootings? I think it might be.
Nah I think its just more or less a lyrical sequel to the conversation Myles and Mark had in WDTTW, personally. I don't think it was inspired by any current events. Could be just me though.
There's definitely a connection to religion in The Other Side, but the context it's presented in feels pretty different to how it's handled in WDTTW. The Other Side seems to delve into how some people do violent or terrible deeds because of differing religious views, while WDTTW is just a conversation on the matters of faith.
"Do you believe in destiny?"

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

It feels like it has a more sinister tone, but I don't think that it has to do with radical islamists or something. I actually think it, in a sense, sticks with the political tone as well as ties in religion to one major theme. Being ignorant about other's beliefs and ideologies is one way to halt progression, and it seems to me that the song is a darker, angry response to the people who refuse to listen to other's perspectives.

Mister Gold
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Mister Gold »

AB23 wrote:It feels like it has a more sinister tone, but I don't think that it has to do with radical islamists or something. I actually think it, in a sense, sticks with the political tone as well as ties in religion to one major theme. Being ignorant about other's beliefs and ideologies is one way to halt progression, and it seems to me that the song is a darker, angry response to the people who refuse to listen to other's perspectives.
I'd absolutely agree with you on that. It's not necessarily about terrorism. After all, I've seen fellow Christians say and do terrible things to/about others in my community in the name of Jesus Christ. The song can just as easily be about people in the Bible Belt who shame and condemn homosexuals or others with differing religious views as it can be about terrorism or radical Islamists.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

anguyen92 wrote: I honestly doubt that many metal communities is really willing to accept AB as a metal band (because, ewwww, they used to be Creed and are not brutal or flashy enough.......)
I think the main reason why I'll probably never consider AB to be metal is Myles' way of singing. It's just pure rock. Mark can shred all he wants but it won't be it.

Not saying it as an either good or bad thing, just an observation. Vocals are a huge part of what makes metal - metal.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Mister Gold
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Mister Gold »

Lotha wrote:
anguyen92 wrote: I honestly doubt that many metal communities is really willing to accept AB as a metal band (because, ewwww, they used to be Creed and are not brutal or flashy enough.......)
I think the main reason why I'll probably never consider AB to be metal is Myles' way of singing. It's just pure rock. Mark can shred all he wants but it won't be it.

Not saying it as an either good or bad thing, just an observation. Vocals are a huge part of what makes metal - metal.
I really can't wait to come back to this topic once the band releases the album officially. :lol

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Mister Gold wrote:
AB23 wrote:It feels like it has a more sinister tone, but I don't think that it has to do with radical islamists or something. I actually think it, in a sense, sticks with the political tone as well as ties in religion to one major theme. Being ignorant about other's beliefs and ideologies is one way to halt progression, and it seems to me that the song is a darker, angry response to the people who refuse to listen to other's perspectives.
I'd absolutely agree with you on that. It's not necessarily about terrorism. After all, I've seen fellow Christians say and do terrible things to/about others in my community in the name of Jesus Christ. The song can just as easily be about people in the Bible Belt who shame and condemn homosexuals or others with differing religious views as it can be about terrorism or radical Islamists.
I think it's quite a radical statement. If you interpret it like that it's basically saying all fundamentalists deserve to go to hell.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Timotheus wrote:
Mister Gold wrote:
I think it's quite a radical statement. If you interpret it like that it's basically saying all fundamentalists deserve to go to hell.
I mean, regardless of whether you think its about "the Paris incidents" and "Bible Belt Christians", you're talking about fundamentalists.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Ryan wrote:you're right, that's definitely Mark soloing...not sure why i put Myles.
Maybe you just had Myles on the brain :P :mkrules

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

AB23 wrote:
Timotheus wrote:
Mister Gold wrote:
I mean, regardless of whether you think its about "the Paris incidents" and "Bible Belt Christians", you're talking about fundamentalists.
Maybe I'm taking the "if" at the beginning of the chorus too literally, but it just seems a bit generalizing to me, considering there are plenty of fundamentalists that don't harm anybody.

I'd love to hear Myles talk about it in an interview.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

oh i'm not painting all fundamentalists in the world with a broad stroke. I'm just saying that I don't view Myles' lyrics as talking about fundamental islamists.

I just think he's combining the political ignorance theme of the album with a sinister sequel to Words. In other words, I don't really think he's targeting anyone here. I could be wrong, but I don't really get that vibe. Seems like he's just intentionally trying to be dark and moody without having any particular religions or incidents in mind.

Thundercats
Brand New Start

Post by Thundercats »

Yeah, I don't care who's singing.. metal is metal to me. Metal is about the instruments and the aggressiveness of them. It doesn't have to be some dude with a deep roar screaming, or double bass kicks every 10 seconds. Alter Bridge is a heavier band than many other standard heavy metal bands of the past and present. Modern metal has really skewed the perception of the genre. All that djent and screamo crap. Ben Burnley can scream with the best of them, but I dont consider Breaking Benjamin metal. Even with their super low tunings. Why? Because it doesn't have the soul that real metal has. Alter Bridge has all the elements of a great metal band. Mark's huge riffs and solos. Brian and Scotts punchy tight rhythm, and Myles brilliant vocal range. They remind me of an old school metal band like Sabbath but with more modern, heavier instrumentals. Myles voice on this record is insane.. I hope I'm not crossing a line by saying that. He has a very Dio-esque tone to his voice on this album. It's definitely higher pitched, but it has a lot of attitude and doesn't sound as nasally. This is all my opinion. I consider Alter Bridge to be a hard rock/metal band that is gravitating more and more toward metal. I agree with the poster above that we should re-visit this topic after the album is released because I think those on the fence about their classification may have their hands forced.

Sugar Blade
Bought The CDs

Post by Sugar Blade »

Interesting experiment: just try to put verse lyrics from Show me a Leader to Poison in my Veins.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Sugar Blade wrote:Interesting experiment: just try to put verse lyrics from Show me a Leader to Poison in my Veins.
Welcome to the forums, Sugar Blade!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

You know, compared to past AB album releases, I feel like getting 3 tracks released through iTunes before the album launch has to be some sort of miracle...

I've only listened to Poison In Your Veins twice so far, but I think it should've been the first single. Doesn't need a radio edit like SMAL did, and the chorus is catchier.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

Thundercats wrote:Yeah, I don't care who's singing.. metal is metal to me. Metal is about the instruments and the aggressiveness of them. It doesn't have to be some dude with a deep roar screaming, or double bass kicks every 10 seconds. Alter Bridge is a heavier band than many other standard heavy metal bands of the past and present. Modern metal has really skewed the perception of the genre. All that djent and screamo crap. Ben Burnley can scream with the best of them, but I dont consider Breaking Benjamin metal. Even with their super low tunings. Why? Because it doesn't have the soul that real metal has. Alter Bridge has all the elements of a great metal band. Mark's huge riffs and solos. Brian and Scotts punchy tight rhythm, and Myles brilliant vocal range. They remind me of an old school metal band like Sabbath but with more modern, heavier instrumentals. Myles voice on this record is insane.. I hope I'm not crossing a line by saying that. He has a very Dio-esque tone to his voice on this album. It's definitely higher pitched, but it has a lot of attitude and doesn't sound as nasally. This is all my opinion. I consider Alter Bridge to be a hard rock/metal band that is gravitating more and more toward metal. I agree with the poster above that we should re-visit this topic after the album is released because I think those on the fence about their classification may have their hands forced.

I like this post.

I really wish I could hear The Other Side. Just based on the snippet they played on Eddie Trunks show, it reminds me of Farther Than the Sun. Which is brutal.

Bridgethegap
Brand New Start

Post by Bridgethegap »

I have been a AB fan since the beginning. I feel like the more they evolve as a band they have no pun intended shed their skin. Myles and Mark are both guitar nerds and heavy metal guys at their core. While I feel for some of the fans who feel lost as they have evolved your either going to embrace the change or be disappointed. I was one of those people who loved Creed and at first I though ODR was a side of Mark and company that was new but at the same time I grew tired of a lot of the same basic riffs and drumming it encompassed sans a few songs on the album. The first time I heard blackbird I gravitated towards marks new guitar tone and Myles integration into the band. I struggled the first time I heard fortress but after several listens it grew on me and now IMO it is the best work they have collaboratively done. To me it's their appetite for destruction. I'm not going to get to in depth on TLH but I think it's going to be their second best work and the more you listen the more you will appreciate the work and depth of the arrangements, mixing and sound. I love what they are becoming as a band. To me Myles and Mark are guitar gods and I am so impressed with What I've heard so far. Songs like My Champion, The Other Side and Poison in my Vains are quintessential a rock/metal and like fortress it's hard hitting and very impressive. I think music is subjective but if you love Heavy rock/metal you'll be hard pressed to find a band better at it than AB.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:Again, its times like this where I always ask myself, "What is the AB sound? How can one truly define the music and sounds that Alter Bridge makes?" Again, I'm still searching for that answer after almost a decade.
See this question was answered for me on their first album. The AB sound is everything. It's:

Hard and Bluesy (Find the Real)
Upbeat and Energetic (One Day Remains)
Hopeful (Open Your Eyes)
Dark (Burn it Down)
Metal (Metalingus)
Emotional (Broken Wings)
Beautiful (In Loving Memory)
Melancholy (Down to My Last)
Heavy and in your face (Watch Your Words)
Introspective (Shed My Skin)
Desolate (The End is Here)

This band is capable of so much variety, and I think almost all of us on here have been aware of this since day 1 in 2004. Blackbird still had some variety, and then from there they tried dark, and like every comic book movie after The Dark Knight everyone thought that "dark" was the only appropriate direction for anything anymore. Life isn't all dark. It's ups and downs, and that's what AB did so well on ODR.
Great post.

----SMAL was pretty great but Poison is average at best. It's just way too bland. Maybe US audiences would like it, idk.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

slasherbridge wrote:
I like this post.

I really wish I could hear The Other Side. Just based on the snippet they played on Eddie Trunks show, it reminds me of Farther Than the Sun. Which is brutal.
Just to get your expectations straight. TOS is slow creepy heavy and not like FTTS fast(er) paced heavy.

As for the above, we Europeans all love some US stereotyping. :D There isn't even (hard) rock on normal radio in The Netherlands for example. The closest thing you hear will be Kings Of Leon.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

fix wrote:
slasherbridge wrote:
I like this post.

As for the above, we Europeans all love some US stereotyping. :D There isn't even (hard) rock on normal radio in The Netherlands for example. The closest thing you hear will be Kings Of Leon.
thank you. My point exactly. I'm tired of being quiet about it, because we've let it slide for so long that now people think its okay. Its not.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Radio is less of a thing in Europe when it comes to alternative music. When people mention radio in the US, I think it's mainly because of that. In the US, having that single is more important. When you play a song on the radio is has to be more catchy. Not because Americans are dumber than Europeans, but because the song will be exposed to a bigger audience that wants to listen to that type of music.

But yea, generalizing Americans is fun :)
AB23 wrote:oh i'm not painting all fundamentalists in the world with a broad stroke. I'm just saying that I don't view Myles' lyrics as talking about fundamental islamists.

I just think he's combining the political ignorance theme of the album with a sinister sequel to Words. In other words, I don't really think he's targeting anyone here. I could be wrong, but I don't really get that vibe. Seems like he's just intentionally trying to be dark and moody without having any particular religions or incidents in mind.
I think that's a pretty fair view on the song. With all the religious imagery I'm not sure if it's just about that, but it definitely fits the ignorance theme.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.