WDTTW live?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
ThravRande
Burn It Down

Re: An opinion, but a good opinion

Post by ThravRande »

It's the best.
Myles Kennedy wrote:I think you're as sharp as.... whatever's sharp.

austin.
On The Rail

Re: WDTTW live?

Post by austin. »

Bands make their money playing shows.... why bother to record a song you can't and never will do live? Pointless. Anyone can do anything in the studio...

Shit storm, here we go.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Anyone can do anything in the studio...
Don't get me wrong, autotune and shit like that will take you so far, but if you haven't got the range you won't be able to magically achieve the words notes just because you're in the studio. I like listening to the CD's, I don't just listen to live performances. In fact, the majority of the time I'm listening to the recorded shit so I don't think it's a reason not to record your best notes on your best day. Just because you can't do it day in day out doesn't mean it's worthless recording it. I get where you're coming from, but I don't agree with it necessarily. With that approach Guns n Roses wouldn't have had any music cos Axl sure as hell can't sing his shit like he does in the studio. I enjoy watching him try in the early years though, he has heart but he loses his voice rapidly during the set.

I'd hate for them not to have recorded appetite just because he couldn't sing it studio perfect every night.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Anyone who's seen Myles live doing the Guns stuff shouldn't be in much doubt that he can reach that note outside of the studio.

He's probably more worried about forgetting all the lyrics.
For all of the hope that it brings...

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Forgetting the lyrics? He really doesn't have that much to remember compare to the others. Mark sings a lot of it. His verses are really short. I think it's the notes throughout the song and at the end

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Heh, was just a little joking reference to some talk in the Myles forum recently.
For all of the hope that it brings...

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Except when I record.

Post by zazthespaz »

austin. wrote:Bands make their money playing shows.... why bother to record a song you can't and never will do live? Pointless. Anyone can do anything in the studio...

Shit storm, here we go.
I agree with that to an extent, but I remember saying that to a very muscially talented friend a couple of years ago and he said one of the benefits to a recording studio is the ability to do things that you can't do live. So while I'd prefer a band record something they can replicate without a problem, some pretty amazing stuff has come out of going against that grain.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Personally, I think Myles is probably exhausted. His voice to me, doesn' t sound the same and I feel like maybe that high note at the end will strain his vocal chords even more than they may possibly already be.
Thanks Andy!

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Of course he's exhausted.. Has been for years. But he's a work horse and carries on, he cant not. Guitarists and drummers can go months and years as normal as it isnt an actual interior organ being used every night.. He's wearing down his ability every night he sings.. But he cant get away from it.. So he carries on

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Agree with Jim, he has to keep going. Vocal chords aren't organs though :p

Der_Metzgermeister
Loyal Follower

Post by Der_Metzgermeister »

Bohemian Rhapsody - best song ever, almost impossible to play live in its entirity. It's in two different keys, so I'm told.

As for Words, it was the biggest solo show of their careers as Alter Bridge so far, and it was being recorded. If they didn't feel it was ready to play on the biggest show they've had, I don't blame them much for backing out of it. It's a kick in the balls after the build up, but I'd rather they kicked the left nut by not playing it than kicking both plums by playing it badly.

I don't agree that a band has to play every song they write live, I went to an Iron Maiden gig in the UK on the A Matter Of Life and Death tour, and they played the album front to back for the first half of the show. That was really boring by the end, and the biggest cheer of the night came when they broke into The Evil That Men Do.