The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AB23
Still Remains

Re: The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

Post by AB23 »

you are really adamant about stating your dislike for Blackbird for some reason.

Mister Gold
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Mister Gold »

AB23 wrote:you are really adamant about stating your dislike for Blackbird for some reason.
The band can only play that album live so many times before it drives the fans crazy... :lol :P

(I kid, I kid)
"Do you believe in destiny?"

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Raven wrote: I skip 5 songs on Blackbird and honestly if it wasn't for the title song and Brand New Start it would easily be my least fav AB album
Interesting!!

I love how wide spread everyone's opinions are here! It's healthy to have differing views on music, if we all liked the same things it would be boring

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Mister Gold wrote:
AB23 wrote:you are really adamant about stating your dislike for Blackbird for some reason.
The band can only play that album live so many times before it drives the fans crazy... :lol :P

(I kid, I kid)
they certainly do play it a lot. I wish they'd play more ODR songs.

The fact that they only play like 2 or 3 songs from ABIII live kind of tells me what the band thinks of it though. If I recall correctly, the band has openly acknowledged (from Fortress interviews) that they think that they slacked off a bit when making ABIII. And I think to many people, it shows.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Mister Gold wrote:...some babbling about AB focusing on pleasing everyone...
Only read your comment now, but I agree with you. But that could also have to do with the fact that the proggy/metal direction is what I love the most about AB. :)

I will give Fates Warning - Theories of Flight some goods listens! Sounds great so far, so thanks for recommending that. The production of that album is something Elvis could learn a thing or two from. ;)

Mister Gold
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Mister Gold »

AB23 wrote:
Mister Gold wrote:

(I kid, I kid)
they certainly do play it a lot. I wish they'd play more ODR songs.

The fact that they only play like 2 or 3 songs from ABIII live kind of tells me what the band thinks of it though. If I recall correctly, the band has openly acknowledged (from Fortress interviews) that they think that they slacked off a bit when making ABIII. And I think to many people, it shows.
Mhmm. They did indeed mention that they felt they slipped with ABIII. However I really wish they played more Fortress songs live too.

I'm very curious to see how they handle presenting The Last Hero in a live format in the next year or so. I really hope they at least take the time to mix up their setlist some more. Balance out the representation of their catalogue a bit more evenly.
Last edited by Mister Gold on Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I admit I love BB so much partly due to nostalgia. I was 15 when it was released and I can remember hyping it up on the board with everyone else, dissecting all the previews and leaked snippets. Even the drama with that guy who hated Rise Today was fun. Blackbird is still my favorite song, and the album has some of their best guitar work, but a good chunk of my love for it is the massive nostalgia I feel when I listen to it, I'll admit. Fortress might be better in reality.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Ya ODR and Blackbird came at a confusing time in my life and I think that they both helped me through a lot.

No AB album, including Fortress which is one I rather liked, will ever come close to the meaning those have for me. Burn it Down has been one of the most helpful songs I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. I love it in every way, and i thank god that it exists.

Electricladyland
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Electricladyland »

Mister Gold wrote:
Mhmm. They did indeed mention that they felt they slipped with ABIII.
....to the Void....

Mister Gold
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Mister Gold »

fix wrote:
Mister Gold wrote:...some babbling about AB focusing on pleasing everyone...
Only read your comment now, but I agree with you. But that could also have to do with the fact that the proggy/metal direction is what I love the most about AB. :)

I will give Fates Warning - Theories of Flight some goods listens! Sounds great so far, so thanks for recommending that. The production of that album is something Elvis could learn a thing or two from. ;)
lmao I'm glad that I was able to get at least one person to check that album out! It's a masterpiece imo and I think it's tragic that most folks will pass by the year without ever hearing about it. I find it fascinating to compare The Last Hero with Theories of Flight, because I think both bands and albums share some interesting similarities.

While The Last Hero is generally about the various sorts of heroes we have in our lives (the military, political leaders, our parents, etc), Theories of Flight is primarily about an approaching change in someone's life and how we reflect on the places we've been before in our pasts. It's extremely thought-provoking stuff. Seven Stars, for example, is about the lead singer Ray Alder's relationship with his newly wedded wife and his decision to move from the US over to Spain to be with her. It's a lot more nuanced than the typical love song.

In case anyone else is interested, I'll go ahead and post their music video for Seven Stars here.

Electricladyland wrote:
Mister Gold wrote:
Mhmm. They did indeed mention that they felt they slipped with ABIII.
....to the Void....
Ayyyyyyyyy :humina :rockon

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

Electricladyland wrote:
Mister Gold wrote:Mhmm. They did indeed mention that they felt they slipped with ABIII.
....to the Void....
*ba dum tish*
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

schlep.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

Ok so after a few more listens today, I am going to change my ranking to a 9.5. I am truly adoring this album so much. To me it has everything I have loved about the previous 4 albums, all rolled in to one masterpiece.
A few said here I must hit upon though; Myles' voice has always been nasally, and in a good way too. By far my favourite living vocalist. How are people suddenly only just noticing this now? It is the type of voice he has and he sound no different now than he sounded in The Mayfield Four.
Also, to those saying this is like ABIII and only people who like that album will like this. ABIII has been my least fav AB album since first listen and still remains in that spot.

1. One Day Remains
2. Fortress
3. Blackbird/The Last Hero
4. ABIII.5 (Always have to go with .5 as Never Born To Follow is my fave song from those sessions)
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I will say that even if it's not a masterpiece overall, it did give us four songs that are worthy of an 'all time AB songs' list. This Side of Fate, The Last Hero, Island of Fools, and Cradle to the Grave are all as good as anything they've ever done, imo.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Nah haha. His voice is pretty noticeably different than the way it sounded with ODR and Mayfield Four.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Arctic wrote:I will say that even if it's not a masterpiece overall, it did give us four songs that are worthy of an 'all time AB songs' list. This Side of Fate, The Last Hero, Island of Fools, and Cradle to the Grave are all as good as anything they've ever done, imo.
Yup.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Mister Gold
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Mister Gold »

Arctic wrote:I will say that even if it's not a masterpiece overall, it did give us four songs that are worthy of an 'all time AB songs' list. This Side of Fate, The Last Hero, Island of Fools, and Cradle to the Grave are all as good as anything they've ever done, imo.
Absolutely. The fact that Crows on a Wire was the favorite among the mods here astounds me, given how incredible those four songs all are. :lol But then again, everyone's got an opinion!

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Arctic wrote:This Side of Fate, The Last Hero, Island of Fools, and Cradle to the Grave are all as good as anything they've ever done, imo.
Add The Other Side to that list and we are in agreement. Those are the top songs for me on first few listens. It's almost a shame I listened to TOS when it came out last week (or actually, because of the mistake release, two weeks ago). It would have had a nice impact on first listen.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Yeah, Crows was one of the weakest on the album in my opinion, was surprised by the reviews it got.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

Arctic wrote:I admit I love BB so much partly due to nostalgia. I was 15 when it was released and I can remember hyping it up on the board with everyone else, dissecting all the previews and leaked snippets. Even the drama with that guy who hated Rise Today was fun. Blackbird is still my favorite song, and the album has some of their best guitar work, but a good chunk of my love for it is the massive nostalgia I feel when I listen to it, I'll admit. Fortress might be better in reality.
It is the same deal with me and ODR. I know deep down that both Blackbird and Fortress are better albums. But I was there through all the ODR build up and then when it dropped and saw them live for the first time too, that whole period was just so amazing and as soon as the opening notes of Find The Real drop I am back there and loving it!
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.