AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AB23
Still Remains

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by AB23 »

Ya, One Life is a winner. That's the direction I wish they'd go with a lot of their songs. They can still have the heavy, head-banging shit, but that sound of music perfectly compliments Myle's voice. I also believe that it provides a bit more room for creativity, especially with the level of production that AB now sits.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

It's hard to make out the lyrics of One Life especially once the crowd started cheering. It sounds like a nice opening especially into the bang that is Wouldn't you Rather's intro. I like the sound but need to listen in person (Wednesday here we come) or from the album to be able to have a better opinion

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

So, per this new interview - https://nytimespost.com/alter-bridge-fi ... ing-album/ - Pay No Mind is actually about the subprime mortgage bubble via The Big Short.
For all of the hope that it brings...

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

That's pretty funny, given how everyone thought it was political, despite the band's insistence that it wasn't. Of course everyone thought it was directed at their opposing political party. Reading the lyrics, it very clearly fits the subprime mortgage crisis story.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

How exactly is the subprime mortgage crisis not political? It's not a "fuck your side of the political spectrum" kind of song, I agree, but you can't discuss the crisis and what caused it, without bringing up politics.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Well I agree that most people will have a politically-informed opinion of what caused the crisis, who's to blame, etc. But the crisis itself is more of just a historical event – i.e., this is what happened, here's who benefited, here's who was harmed, and so on. And it's not as if the crisis was a grand scheme of either political party. I think most objective observers would find complicity on all ends of the political spectra.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

So on "In the Deep"'s lyrics, after reading that Myles was influenced by Eastern Philosophy and thinking about the verses I realized that the song is about meditation:
"I am still as the moment I hold in my hand
I can't let go
Here and now, time and space, the illusion so grand
And then I know
Every breath leads the way
My escape it is never far
When I fall in the deep with you
I see that heaven's never far
Let it wash over me
The truth I seek, let it lift my heavy heart
So alive, every rise, every fall brings me back
To where I must go
All that I'll ever need is this moment to get me by"

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

That is a damn good theory.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

So just my guess on themes for the album: Walk the Sky is an answer to ABIII in that in AB3 Myles had lost his faith in Christianity but now in WTS Myles has found peace of mind in "following his bliss" (if anyone is unfamiliar with Joseph Campbell, I suggest watching or reading Hero with a Thousand faces) of music, living in the moment, and has picked up some meditation and form of maybe secular Buddhism (I read somewhere about songs being about Enlightenment/ Nirvana, and the mindfulness). Maybe Myles just opened his mind up to new perspectives and no longer inhabits the dark spaces of AB3.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

We also got to account for the fact that Year of the Tiger can be perceived as a prequel to AB III since the events that happened on that album caused that general reflection of the themes of lost of faith in AB III and Walk the Sky is the "conclusion" regarding this journey? Just fascinating on how they can all tie together.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

anguyen92 wrote:We also got to account for the fact that Year of the Tiger can be perceived as a prequel to AB III since the events that happened on that album caused that general reflection of the themes of lost of faith in AB III and Walk the Sky is the "conclusion" regarding this journey? Just fascinating on how they can all tie together.
Almost like a trilogy :eek

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

WaywardOne wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:We also got to account for the fact that Year of the Tiger can be perceived as a prequel to AB III since the events that happened on that album caused that general reflection of the themes of lost of faith in AB III and Walk the Sky is the "conclusion" regarding this journey? Just fascinating on how they can all tie together.
Almost like a trilogy :eek
So in 5 years, when they inevitably do the soft reboot, that's when we get the Grasshopper Apocalypse, right?

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

New single coming next week according to a new interview of Mark

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

DarkKnight12 wrote:New single coming next week according to a new interview of Mark
Can you link to the interview?

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Chris Smyth: What can fans expect at the show and how do you feel about starting off the new tour?

Mark Tremonti: Great! You know, we’ve had two shows so far [at the time of this interview]. We did the listing party in Orlando and last night Raleigh, but our Skillet shows are going to have a larger production than we’ve ever had, and we are just going to start introducing more and more new songs off the new record. So right now, we’re playing four new tracks from Walk the Sky, and there’s a new great track coming out in the next week or so, so we’ll start playing that as well.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

It could actually even be out Tomorrow! The interview took place on the 21 September, which was last Saturday..

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

5 singles would be ridiculous in my opinion, only leaves 8 unheard songs on the album (if you count One Life that is). That said, inject the song into my veins NOW it'll make waiting for the 18th easier
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

I think that's the state of music now anyway, tbh. Singles are preferred, because It's singles that get on the radio and Spotify playlists. A lot of bands will do albums very rarely but a single every few months or so.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

5 singles isn't the worst thing in the world... If I remember correctly, Nickelback's All The Right Reasons record had 8 singles when all was said and done... 8 out of 11 tracks...

New Alter Bridge is always welcome in my book and I'll most likely still have the entire album on repeat for weeks like A Dying Machine!

I hope the new single is Forever Falling... And I wonder what color the woman's dress will be?