Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Post by cheesedip1 »

I prefer when most of the harmonizing done is Mark instead of Myles harmonizing with himself.

This Side of Fate has good melody but I cant relate to the lyrics at all. Cant relate to The Last Hero lyrics either.

One Life is a nice song. Something different.

I actually like In The Deep, compared to some other people here.

Godspeed is one of the best songs on the record, hands down.

Native Son's chorus I actually really like.

Forever Falling is a nice song but the chorus is kinda weird.

Dying Light is pretty good.

Hearing the oh oh ohs on some of the choruses of the songs reminds me of Losing Patience.

Also with guitar solos I prefer quality over quantity.
Last edited by cheesedip1 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

I already have a story about this album being an awesome sound track for life:

Yesterday my friend and I went out to climb a mountain, which is already in winter-like conditions this time of year. The views were beautiful but the wind was intense - like, 40 mph in your face, enough to knock you off balance at times. Standing there, looking into the sun and surrounding peaks, leaning into the the challenge of the brutal wind, all I could hear in my head was "DO YOU FEEL ALIIIIIIIIIIVE?".

Yes Myles, yes I do :)

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

Also for the record, after Myles says “this much I know” in The Bitter End I scream “ALL ENDS WELL” and don’t feel ashamed at all
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

jeff wrote:
scarecrow wrote:I forget who said that One Life should segue into Wouldn't You Rather, but they were absolutely RIGHT. I extended One Life a bit and put them together and it sounds great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAKpx2Aaojw
This is how they do it live right? I feel like that's what Elvis wanted to do with the song but didn't want a situation similar with Come To Life where at the end it has the fade in to transition into Brand New Start, but if you were listening to the song and BNS wasn't next (like in shuffle or something) it would have a seemingly weird and not very fitting sound fading in, and instead he wanted the track to be its own contained song. (if that makes sense :D)
Except One Life isn't really meant to be listened to on its own. :shrug

I actually looped the beginning of One Life over the beginning of Wouldn't You Rather and it sounds like they were meant to go together. Not sure what happened.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Also, Away by Breaking Benjamin sounds like something Evansecence could sing.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

cheesedip1 wrote:Also, Away by Breaking Benjamin sounds like something Evansecence could sing.
As does Close to Heaven... but what does this have to do with AB, WTS, or anything that anybody else has said recently?

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

LosingPatience wrote:
austinjhnsn wrote:Agree that Losing Patience isn't that great at all.

This album rules and TLH drools.

all seriousness i will post a review soon, it has been great reading everyones thoughts! I love that we all seem to have different favorites and someones biggest dislike might be someone elses favorite.

TLH is a rock album this is a pop album. I prefer rock and TLH rocks. Like i have said many times nothing even comes close to TSOF or Cradle on this album. Im sure many Beeber fans might like this album though so if AB were trying to lure teen girls to their music this is the album to do it

I would hardly call an album that includes Indoctrination, Forever Falling, Walking on the Sky, Native Son and Clear Horizon a “pop” album.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

One Drew Remains wrote:I'm a big fan of Clear Horizon. As a matter of fact, (Ubik will appreciate this) when I was jogging to the album today the song has many parallels with the movie Blade Runner

Really dig into the lyrics, it's there (with Deckard and Rachael driving off into the green world at the end of the theatrical version.)

Not sure that Myles realizes he basically wrote a song about that relationship from a film. But it totally matches up.
Holy shit, Drew. And the start of Walking on the Sky sounds like Vangelis. And it's 2019. All adds up to Alter Bridge being canon in the Blade Runner universe.
For all of the hope that it brings...

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

TheEndisHere wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:I didn't think too fondly of Godspeed when I heard it at the Listening Party. I thought they jumped the shark and went too hard on the synths and keyboard effects. Now that I have the luxury of listening to it at home on replay, it is growing on me and it's a nice song that celebrates more of the life of a passed one as opposed to In Loving Memory and Blackbird where it reflects the more sorrowful and more tragic of losing someone.

On another note, I'm quite surprised on the amount of bands that's giving a shoutout to AB and the new album, looking through AB's Twitter page (and since this is release week, expect many retweets on their page). Naturally, Skillet and Shinedown is giving a shoutout due to the fact that they have been or is going on tour with AB, but bands like Disturbed, Adelitas Way, and even friken Steel Panther gave a shoutout for AB. AB's got a lot of bands that they are good friends with.
None of those bands surprise me. Adelita's Way has toured with AB and probably gained a few fans from them (I found out about AW from the fact that they toured with AB). AB toured with Disturbed. Steel Panther seems like a band that would appreciate the work of Tremonti and Myles on guitar. Now if a big band like Metallica gave a shout out that would be huge
I know Myles and Slash are band mates, but Slash’s Facebook/Twitter/Instagram publicised Walk The Sky this morning. Slash obviously has a huge following being a rock legend and a member of one of the biggest bands of the 80s/90s so thought that was good.

https://www.facebook.com/Slash/photos/a ... =3&sfns=mo

Fortress1988
Brand New Start

Post by Fortress1988 »

This album definitely blew me away..
Absolutely loved it .
One thing is for sure, I miss old ab Chorus.
Those Chorus used to be melodic and catchy, but since the last hero album, chorus are more complex and it takes multiple listen to actually get hold of chorus.
On current album best chorus definitely will be dying light, forever falling, tear us down.
Other chorus I just feel like Just vocal harmony making up for the rhymes.
But overall album rocked.
Loved the keyboard addition.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

I know someone said that Tear Us Apart reminds them of Sum 41 but for some reason I can't place it (something in the verses) reminds of some song off Third Eye Blind's self titled album. I just listened to the songs it could be and I don't know why I feel that way but I do. Anyone else hear it?

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

I happen to think the choruses are more catchy than ever haha.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

LosingPatience wrote:
austinjhnsn wrote:Agree that Losing Patience isn't that great at all.

This album rules and TLH drools.

all seriousness i will post a review soon, it has been great reading everyones thoughts! I love that we all seem to have different favorites and someones biggest dislike might be someone elses favorite.
TLH is a rock album this is a pop album. I prefer rock and TLH rocks. Like i have said many times nothing even comes close to TSOF or Cradle on this album. Im sure many Beeber fans might like this album though so if AB were trying to lure teen girls to their music this is the album to do it
A pop album? Dude you’re delusional. Do you also think Gojira is generic rock? I really hope this is a troll comment, because if it’s not you just discredited yourself of any rational opinion here.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

Didn't know if it has been posted on another thread but here's another review:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews ... sky/48173/
"Walk the Sky review by Alter Bridge
Posted 6 hours ago
travislausch
travislausch

Sound: 8
Lyrics: 9
Overall Impression: 8
Reviewer's score: 8.3 Superb
Users' score: 7.8 (9 votes)

Alter Bridge: Walk the Sky
Sound — 8
Alter Bridge have had a commanding position in the modern hard rock scene since the mid-2000s, and with as much success as they've had, they've largely stayed true to their formula through their entire career: good hard-rocking songs with simple melodies, good guitar riffs, Myles Kennedy's soaring vocals and Mark Tremonti's virtuosic guitar solos. Even though they've made mild attempts at experimentation here and there, giving them an almost prog-metal edge in certain spots, they've largely kept this confined to single tracks and never really did any more than dip their toes into it. On "Walk the Sky", the band's sixth album so far, a bevy of experiences from their main band, Tremonti's solo project, Kennedy's recent solo album and his stints as frontman for Slash's solo band have informed a band that's been around long enough to be considered "veterans" of the scene, and they promised a somewhat more left-field record for their newest effort.

Listening to the record as a whole, though, one finds that not much has changed in the fundamentals of how Alter Bridge crafts their sound, despite differences in the writing style, with Kennedy and Tremonti bringing largely completed songs to the table rather than collaborating more organically. The riffs, vocal melodies, and song structures are not going to be anything new to a long-time Alter Bridge fan. Where the real difference lies is in the production style, which sees the band expanding on their sound with the addition of layers of synths and other keyboard sounds. A lot of the time, it's very subtle and almost gets lost in the mix, but they made it obvious in places where it was needed, like the introductory track "One Life" where it's mostly only a lone synth accompanying Kennedy's vocals, or the track "Godspeed" which mixes Alter Bridge's usual style with an almost 80s synthwave aesthetic. Sometimes, it's barely even present at all, like the single "Wouldn't You Rather", which features an epic hard rock sound that could have just as easily fit on any of their other albums. Lower tunings (possibly even Tremonti digging deeper into exploring 7-string guitars as he did on the band's previous album "The Last Hero") also pop up all over the record, being most obvious on the track "In the Deep", one of the album's biggest riff highlights. As usual on an Alter Bridge album, the best tracks are usually the ones that display a greater range of dynamics and tonal shifts, and there are plenty of these kind of songs here, like "Indoctrination" bringing to the table a dark, doomy riff and one of the album's most bombastic choruses, and the Tremonti-sung "Forever Falling", combining a very melodic acoustic intro with one of the album's most thrashy metal riffs, and capping it off with a great melodic chorus and a great outro solo. The band's proggier explorations come in on the tracks "Walking on the Sky", which is one of the album's most melodic and "epic" with some great dynamic guitar parts and vocal interplay in the bridge, and the album's closing track "Dying Light", which is the longest on the record and comes about as close as any track on the album does to capturing the "Blackbird" vibe with its slightly more technical and melodic sound.

There's a lot to love about the sound on this album, but there are a few issues here and there, like the mixing job, which is rife with clipping distortion, and leaving some elements like Brian Marshall's bass and Scott Phillips' drums feeling a little buried. And while Alter Bridge's songwriting has always been great, one can't help but feel like 14 tracks at an hour long does make the record feel a bit like a slog to get through in one listening session. A few of the tracks on the album don't do anything so vastly different from the others that they'd be missed if they were skipped in favour of the highlights, and in a day and age where albums actually seem to be getting shorter once again (we can probably blame that on the resurgence of vinyl), having anything more than an hour of music, especially when the band leans so heavily on one particular style, seems like a bit much. That isn't to say any of the tracks on the album are bad, per se, but just like "The Last Hero", it's an exhausting listen if you're trying to get through it in one sitting.

Lyrics — 9
Alter Bridge has always done a great job of making the sentiments of their lyrics seem very heartfelt and a bit more genuine than a lot of other bands singing about the same topics, which often include depression, loss, love, and isolation. While the band is never really direct about the subjects of their songs, this makes a lot of their lyrical content a bit more widely relatable, but it never feels like the band is doing this at the expense of good poetry, with a particular favourite example being in the soaring, epic "Walking on the Sky": "You have wandered in the storm/Are you fearless anymore?/Though you don't need to escape/All these questions still remain/The question still remains/Do you feel alive/Tempting your fate on the line?/Pushing death to the fray?/Making one last great escape?". Even when the band waxes political, it never gets to the point of being direct about its targets or even really pushes an agenda, and one can really infer any meaning they want out of lines like this from "Pay no Mind": "Indifference, a lasting curse/Resilience, your blessing in disguise/The millions you stand to hurt/Still willing to stand right by your side/But time/It will unravel and expose/Us for the fools we are".

Vocally, Myles Kennedy remains on top of his game, his soaring voice undiminished by the ravages of time. If you've been a fan of his vocals since the band's first album, you'll hear no loss of skill or emotion on Myles' part. What is actually surprising on this album comes in the song "Falling Forever", where guitarist Mark Tremonti takes the lead vocal spot, and shows how much he has improved as a vocalist since the band's early days, with more practice at singing since starting his solo project starting to show when he steps up to the mic in Alter Bridge, holding his own quite admirably against Kennedy's chorus harmony vocals.

Overall Impression — 8
It's still the Alter Bridge we know and love, but just a little bit more mature, and featuring just a few more layers. The band has mentioned toying with the idea of bringing in a keyboardist to perform these songs live, but if that got people thinking this would be an album dripping with electronics, or a more proggy version of the band with synth solos and orchestral chord stabs, the truth is that this is just Alter Bridge with a few more synth pad layers here and there, nothing so fundamentally different from the band's usual style that long-time fans need to worry.

The band's songwriting and musicianship are still completely intact, and it's a real testament that after six full-length albums that they can still put out material that sounds as good as anything else in their discography. It isn't perfect, however, as the album is a tad overly long and there really didn't seem to be too many dramatic twists and turns from song to song: no real "ballad" tracks and while there are some very epic-sounding songs, none are quite as standout as "Blackbird" was on the album of the same name. It's all very standard-sounding fare for the band, nothing we haven't heard from them before, but overall that's not necessarily a bad thing. A little more variety or a couple of tracks being left off might have served the album well, but that doesn't mean there are any genuinely bad songs on "Walk the Sky", and I still feel confident recommending giving this album a listen. "

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Listened to each song a few times now. Really big fan of Falling Forever, Walking the Sky, The Bitter End and Tear Us Apart. I also enjoy Dying Light and In the Deep. Indoctrination and Godspeed have elements I like but don't do it for me overall. The rest I can leave with the exception of One Life, I'm really glad they tried an intro type track. I hope they continue to experiment with openers and closers. Overall, I think it's cool they tried a more synthy album to keep things fresh but I think they only landed it a handful of times. Maybe next album they'll try more clean tones.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Re: My passive aggressive TLH review

Post by austinjhnsn »

This album is much more consistent and diverse than TLH, by a long shot.

One Life:
Pretty awesome intro. I remember hearing it "live" a few weeks ago and feeling like it was very similar to Believe and Slip to The Void which are both great tunes. Not much else to say, Myles sounds great and I love the melody and vibe. I think this is a style they should expand upon. Sets up perfectly for WYR.
8/10

Wouldn't You Rather:
This is a good Alter Bridge jam, I love the bouncy riff, one of the best heavy moments on the album in my opinion. The bridge is pretty cool with the "all of these lessons part" leading into the solo. Not their best lead single but gave me higher hopes for the album than Show Me a Leader.
7.5/10

In The Deep:
I know a lot of people don't like this one because it is repetitive with the chorus, but I dig the chorus and the melodies on this track so I can look past it a bit. I love the "happy gallop" riff in the intro and its cool how its used in the chorus. Really awesome prechoruses. Honestly not much else to say since the song really is chorus-centered lol.
7.5/10

Godspeed:
That intro... nothing we have heard before from AB is anything like it. I had chills hearing the piano and synth leading into the cool Journey-esque intro. The harmonies in the prechorus make it one of my favorites on the album, such a beautiful melody! The chorus had to grow on me a bit but now I do quite enjoy it, and even then, the rest of the song does make up for it. After reading the story on the subject of the song on Facebook(Rockin' Wellness' page posted about it, take a look..) and listening to the bridge, it had so much more gravity. Also I really enjoy Flips playing in the bridge. Love this tribute and celebration of someone who seemed to be such a positive influence on many people.
8/10

Native Son:
It is quite jarring how the intro just gets rudely interrupted by that monster of a riff, but man does it work.. Killer riff, probably my favorite part of the song. Very similar structure to Wouldn't You Rather, but it doesn't do it quite as well. Im not entirely sold on the chorus and the whoa's in there do feel kinda out of place and remind me too much of why I disliked Losing Patience. I will say, the verse riffs are pretty damn sweet and the drums in the pre-chorus are killer.
6.5/10

Take The Crown:
Didn't like this one as much until I saw it live a few weeks ago. I think one highlight of the song for me is the bridge, the first part specifically with that "Egyptian/eastern" type of riff answering to the vocals. Chorus is pretty solid, do think it suffers from being a little convoluted to where they can't sing the whole thing live. The outro's little bluesy lick is my favorite part of the whole song! Still don't dig the "so sorry but you're going down" thing, kinda cheesy.
6.5/10

Indoctrination:
Man where do I start with this one. Reminded me of hearing "Spiders" by Slipknot for the first time with the drum intro and synth but once the guitar came in it became a whole different thing. The vibe this intro builds with Myles' eerie whisper vocals and creepy guitar in the background is carried throughout the whole song. That sludgy riff is so damn Alice in Chains, I love it. I think this is honestly one of the best choruses I've ever heard by Alter Bridge. 2nd half of the bridge is superb, super catchy but retains the vibe the song has set up, leading again into that amazing chorus. "Indoctrinated in the fireeee!" So. Damn. Good.
9/10

The Bitter End:
ABIII's follow-up summed up in one song. If All Hope Is Gone is Myles at his darkest, this is Myles at his happiest. Sure it's a tad cheesy, but it pulls it off. The intro initially lead me to believe this song was going to be much darker, but when the vocals came in, it kind of reminded me a little bit of something off of YOTT. That chorus soars. "But the joy I have found in the sweet here and now, it keeps me alive." There's no way that doesn't make you feel good on the inside. Really good melody in the bridge, "This much I know, somehow we'll be alright!" Great outro.
8/10

Pay No Mind:
Didn't like this one much at all at first honestly. Took some time away from it and listened again in context... It's a little better. The chorus has grown on me and the synth doesn't feel as jarring. It is different, and I commend them for making something so unlike what they've created before. I just don't think it will ever be a favorite of mine. It is better in the context of the album for sure.
6/10

Forever Falling:
If Pay No Mind had me worried, this song threw all of those worries off of a cliff. This song is perfect. Mark sounds the best he's ever sounded in those verses. I love the use of falsetto. The verses man... SO vibey. It's like Tremonti and Muse had a love child. What an ear worm that chorus is. But holy shit man... as if the song wasn't already good enough, the bridge brings it to a whole new level. It starts off great, but when it gets to "Bury the fool, the wretch and his habit died," its pure bliss. Dreamy vocals from the boys here. Amazing solo, and that outro had my jaw on the floor the first time I had heard it.
10/10

Clear Horizon:
At first it was overshadowed by the two killers its sandwiched between, but now that I've had time to digest those tracks, Im really finding this song to be one of my favorites on the album. I love the strings in the intro underneath Myles' vocals. The use of his lower register is welcomed with open arms. Awesome riff. The "choppy" guitars in the chorus complemented by the constant strumming of the higher notes is one the coolest parts of the song. Another great bridge. Was worried about the bridges from the prereleased tracks but the redeemed themselves with pretty much all of the rest of the album, especially the next track..
7.5/10

Walking on the Sky:
So for some reason, I didn't think much of this track the first time through. But once I got over how much I loved Forever Falling and Indoctrination, this one crept up on me. I think this might be tied for my favorite on the album now, and it is still getting better with every listen. The vibey nature of the intro, the wonderful harmonies from Myles and Mark in the verses all building to that BEAST of a chorus. "DO YOU FEEL A--ALIIIIIVE?" Hell yeah. but man, this song really shines its brightest during the bridge. Just read these lyrics. Listen to that melody:
"Here and now in the clouds
You have found your escape
For all you give its worth the risk
At least you live your own way!
"
That's some good shit.
10/10

Tear Us Apart:
Nice and uplifting. The verses remind me a bit of that one song Switchfoot was popular for, and I love it. Myles' stripped back vocals are so soothing, kind of wish it happened more on this album. Its not always necessary to have 40 of Myles on one track and this song proves that. This song is cheesy as shit as Im sure we've all established already, but not terribly cheesy. Not really too big on the chorus, but I don't hate it, its simple and its a nice contrast to some of the convoluted ones like Native Son. I like the drums leading into the last chorus. This song is aspects of My Champion and All Ends Well with a little bit of Outright mixed in. Not my least favorite cheesy AB song, that spot is taken by YWBR still. too much cheese there.
6.5/10

Dying Light:
Has the feel of an epic AB tune without taking it to the 7-8 minute mark. I don't know if that is a bad thing either. I think this song serves its purpose well in the amount of time we are given here. The intro is a good contrast to the uplifting feel of the track before it, and I love the droney guitars when the drums and bass kick in. Beautiful verses. This is another song where the prechorus really shines, its the perfect build to that... epic... chorus. the bridge is still weird with the stop and go thing. Kind of expected something more from the bridge with how this song was going, but its a nice little solo from Myles, do wish he had gotten more time to play there. Marks solo is pretty cool, didn't like it at first but I listen to it more and more and find that it tells a good story with the chord changes, and I can really appreciate that, it really flows well. Great conclusion to an amazing album.
8.5/10

Overall album rating: 117/140 = 83%

Do I wish this album had an epic? Absolutely. Do I think it suffers from not having one? Personally, not really, maybe just a little. I think the great songwriting, the cohesive-ness of the songs, and diversity on this album make up for it for the most part. This redeemed them from TLH for me. I know I'm hard on that album, and I don't hate it, but it really was disappointing and it hasn't grown on me much. I don't touch those songs much at all when listening to music in my free time and I wasn't addicted to the album when it came out. This album on the other hand, I can't stop listening to. There aren't really any songs that I can see myself skipping and I think the one album that I can see myself doing that on is Fortress. Am I saying this album is better than the first four albums? Not exactly. As it stands, its hard to say. Time will tell but Im very happy with where Alter Bridge has landed and have no worries for the next album, which isn't something I can say about TLH.
Thanks Timo!

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

This album most reminds me of ODR because of the more upbeat songs. There's a lot of mid-tempo anthems and simpler song structures here. I know AB got away from the post-grunge label before but this definitely seems like a return to it. Myles vocals seem also the clearest since ODR. Anyone else feel this is very ODR post grunge? I don't think it's a bad thing but that's how it sounds.

Jesterhead92
Bought The CDs

Post by Jesterhead92 »

I absolutely get ODR vibes scattered all through the album. Part of that might just be that theres less "metal-ish" tracks. Walking The Sky especially has some very ODR-esque riffing and soloing imo

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

Jesterhead92 wrote:I absolutely get ODR vibes scattered all through the album. Part of that might just be that theres less "metal-ish" tracks. Walking The Sky especially has some very ODR-esque riffing and soloing imo
Now I'm actually curious which album has more solos. Walk the sky has like 8ish, I think. I think ODR has 6.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

If I had to pick one moment that's the MVP of the album it's gotta be the Forever Falling chorus. A++ stuff.