Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Post by Mr. Slash »

VigilantSteve wrote:
scarecrow wrote:I think I'm finally ready to give grades. Heads up: I can be a little harsh - I was a Tomatometer-approved film critic for the past 7 years! Overall I quite like the album.

One Life: 3.5 / 5
Wouldn't You Rather: 4 / 5
In The Deep: 3 / 5
Godspeed: 3.5 / 5
Native Son: 3.5 / 5
Take The Crown: 4 / 5
Indoctrination: 3 / 5
The Bitter End: 4 / 5
Pay No Mind: 4.5 / 5
Forever Falling: 5 / 5
Clear Horizon: 2.5 / 5
Walking On The Sky: 4 / 5
Tear Us Apart: 2.5 / 5
Dying Light: 3.5 / 5

Average score: 3.6, which if I used my film rating system would be squarely in the "good" category!
Wow...you dislike Clear Horizon that much? I would put it in my top 2 of the album with Forever Falling.
same here

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

I've been having trouble getting into Clear Horizon as well. Something about that chorus sounds all Slash and The Conspirators

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

UninvitedZero wrote:I've been having trouble getting into Clear Horizon as well. Something about that chorus sounds all Slash and The Conspirators
The chorus is what puts the song over the top for me! Though I also love the dotted 8th note delay stuff at the beginning, as well as the pre-chorus and bridge. Just a great song top to bottom, IMO. I think it's one of the most musically interesting songs they've ever written.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Yes. It's different for them. I love the chorus. Sounds like AB to me.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

Mr. Slash wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:
scarecrow wrote:I think I'm finally ready to give grades. Heads up: I can be a little harsh - I was a Tomatometer-approved film critic for the past 7 years! Overall I quite like the album.

One Life: 3.5 / 5
Wouldn't You Rather: 4 / 5
In The Deep: 3 / 5
Godspeed: 3.5 / 5
Native Son: 3.5 / 5
Take The Crown: 4 / 5
Indoctrination: 3 / 5
The Bitter End: 4 / 5
Pay No Mind: 4.5 / 5
Forever Falling: 5 / 5
Clear Horizon: 2.5 / 5
Walking On The Sky: 4 / 5
Tear Us Apart: 2.5 / 5
Dying Light: 3.5 / 5

Average score: 3.6, which if I used my film rating system would be squarely in the "good" category!
Wow...you dislike Clear Horizon that much? I would put it in my top 2 of the album with Forever Falling.
same here
This too. First hearing those two songs (Forever Falling and Clear Horizon) they were instant standouts.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

1. Periphery-like intro guitar
2. Minute long intro
3. The moment when the riff kicks in :)

Yeah is a favorite of mine.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

AB4Lyfe wrote:1. Periphery-like intro guitar
2. Minute long intro

Hmm...maybe I should check out some Periphery

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

UninvitedZero wrote:I've been having trouble getting into Clear Horizon as well. Something about that chorus sounds all Slash and The Conspirators
That super catchy chorus and the woahs are very Slash/MK/Conspirators to me too, but I like it a lot. That catchiness makes it an easy one to listen to.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

I love Myles vocals on the prechorus in Clear Horizon. Grungy lower end stuff almost like something off Blackbird. The only thing I don't like is the TLH like vocals (can't place which song) at the beginning of the bridge ("Pure escape" bit).

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

I just find it kind of boring. Someone said Myles didn't want it on the album and Tim had to convince him to include it?

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I feel like I'm contrary to everybody with this record. Everyone seems to love it but I don't. Majority seem to dislike Clear Horizon but I love it. The same with Forever Falling, there have been people comparing it to the likes of Blackbird - it's not even in my top 10 on the new album.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

scarecrow wrote:
I just find it kind of boring. Someone said Myles didn't want it on the album and Tim had to convince him to include it?
Props to Tim if that's true. It's one of the best songs on the album.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

VigilantSteve wrote:
2. Minute long intro

Listen to Satellites by Periphery. It’s fucking amazing. Or Lune.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:
2. Minute long intro

Noted. I will definitely do this.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Lune is really good. Glad Clear Horizon is getting some love. It's the first tune I really connected to (especially with the Blade Runner similarities, but maybe that's just me.)
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

scarecrow wrote:
I saw it on the Ao12 Facebook page. Someone commented saying they really liked Clear Horizons and Tim commented telling that story about having to fight for it lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Sugar Blade
Bought The CDs

Post by Sugar Blade »

After listening album for two more times, I want to give an advice for those who are still struggling with this record: listen it with a volume slightly above the middle and take a walk during the process. Personally I always listen to music on the highest volume, but Walk The Sky sounds almost unlistenable with this approach.

You will hear more details and you won't suffer from tinnitus after the playthrough, but also you will hear that something is wrong with the recording of the instruments (I noticed the same thing on The Last Hero record) and also there is some stange thing that I only can describe as the sonic analogue of white mist that some people see when they don't feel well that I can hear during the whole record.

As for the songs, I still don't "feel" them and can't connect to anything except Dying Light. I still can't differentiate most of the songs, but after lowering the volume a few more moments that I liked popped up - I didn't even noticed that Myles did a fry-growl during one of the songs at the first listen.

Lower the volume. Thank me later.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Not a bad song on this record

Best line on the record might be "And then the days they ran out"

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Sugar Blade wrote:After listening album for two more times, I want to give an advice for those who are still struggling with this record: listen it with a volume slightly above the middle and take a walk during the process. Personally I always listen to music on the highest volume, but Walk The Sky sounds almost unlistenable with this approach.

You will hear more details and you won't suffer from tinnitus after the playthrough, but also you will hear that something is wrong with the recording of the instruments (I noticed the same thing on The Last Hero record) and also there is some stange thing that I only can describe as the sonic analogue of white mist that some people see when they don't feel well that I can hear during the whole record.

As for the songs, I still don't "feel" them and can't connect to anything except Dying Light. I still can't differentiate most of the songs, but after lowering the volume a few more moments that I liked popped up - I didn't even noticed that Myles did a fry-growl during one of the songs at the first listen.

Lower the volume. Thank me later.
Thank you! This is what I've been saying lately on multiple threads, but no one has really commented back on it. The production for AB really shines when you listen in a lower volume than the typical person would listen to. I've listened to music in headphones full blast since I was a teenager in 2001. Old habits die hard, but I decided to listen to AB on a lower than normal volume recently, and I noticed I was hearing Marks harmonies and little intricacies I never noticed in my years if listening to AB. Seriously, listen at a lower volume if you have complaints about the mix.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:
2. Minute long intro

Wow, thanks for the suggestion, I always thought Periphery was too harsh vocally for me but those two songs are amazing. Sounds very much like A Day To Remember meets Skyharbor to me.