Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

gbruin wrote:Been there, done that with the login expiration. Here's another solution if find you've been timed out after you hit submit...just click the back arrow on your browser. It will take you back to your edit page so you can copy your post, then you can just paste it after you log back in.
Not if you did the Quick Reply option like I often do. It all erases.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Totally random but I just realized this: Take The Crown outro = Cauterize outro. Not a bad thing!

jeff
Brand New Start

Post by jeff »

scarecrow wrote:
jeff wrote:
scarecrow wrote:I forget who said that One Life should segue into Wouldn't You Rather, but they were absolutely RIGHT. I extended One Life a bit and put them together and it sounds great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAKpx2Aaojw
This is how they do it live right? I feel like that's what Elvis wanted to do with the song but didn't want a situation similar with Come To Life where at the end it has the fade in to transition into Brand New Start, but if you were listening to the song and BNS wasn't next (like in shuffle or something) it would have a seemingly weird and not very fitting sound fading in, and instead he wanted the track to be its own contained song. (if that makes sense :D)
Except One Life isn't really meant to be listened to on its own. :shrug

I actually looped the beginning of One Life over the beginning of Wouldn't You Rather and it sounds like they were meant to go together. Not sure what happened.
After a few weeks of listens to the album, I've come to the conclusion that I actually think One Life and Wouldn't You Rather sound better with the space in between them rather than having the former fade into the latter. It just sounds better to me. Do you still think the crossfade sounds better?

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

jeff wrote:After a few weeks of listens to the album, I've come to the conclusion that I actually think One Life and Wouldn't You Rather sound better with the space in between them rather than having the former fade into the latter. It just sounds better to me. Do you still think the crossfade sounds better?
If you ask Ubik, then the answer is "neither." It's all about One Life + Clear Horizon, baby! :dance

jeff
Brand New Start

Post by jeff »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
jeff wrote:After a few weeks of listens to the album, I've come to the conclusion that I actually think One Life and Wouldn't You Rather sound better with the space in between them rather than having the former fade into the latter. It just sounds better to me. Do you still think the crossfade sounds better?
If you ask Ubik, then the answer is "neither." It's all about One Life + Clear Horizon, baby! :dance
I'll give it a listen later asnd see if they're right :D currently on a Tremonti binge and listening to the Cauterize album right now

jailman
Bought The CDs

Post by jailman »

jeff wrote:
scarecrow wrote:
jeff wrote:
scarecrow wrote:I forget who said that One Life should segue into Wouldn't You Rather, but they were absolutely RIGHT. I extended One Life a bit and put them together and it sounds great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAKpx2Aaojw
This is how they do it live right? I feel like that's what Elvis wanted to do with the song but didn't want a situation similar with Come To Life where at the end it has the fade in to transition into Brand New Start, but if you were listening to the song and BNS wasn't next (like in shuffle or something) it would have a seemingly weird and not very fitting sound fading in, and instead he wanted the track to be its own contained song. (if that makes sense :D)
Except One Life isn't really meant to be listened to on its own. :shrug

I actually looped the beginning of One Life over the beginning of Wouldn't You Rather and it sounds like they were meant to go together. Not sure what happened.
After a few weeks of listens to the album, I've come to the conclusion that I actually think One Life and Wouldn't You Rather sound better with the space in between them rather than having the former fade into the latter. It just sounds better to me. Do you still think the crossfade sounds better?
agreed. I like it the way it is. One Life is cool.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

8.5/10

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Random thought: what if the album ended at "Walking on the Sky"?

Someone mentioned that song would serve as a great closer, which I agree with. That would leave "Tear us Apart" as a b-side, which would be wholly appropriate, IMO. We would probably appreciate it more, while understanding why the band decided to cut it from the album.

That would also leave "Dying Light" as a b-side, which I'm sure most would consider criminal. But how cool would it be if "Dying Light" was this hidden gem that we didn't hear until later? Kind of like how "Solace" was locked away for so long after ODR's release. Inevitably people would complain, asking why it was left off of the album while "The Bitter End" or [insert other song the person doesn't like] was included. I just think it would be really cool if the band had another ace up their sleeves, blowing us away when it finally dropped. And Walk the Sky would still be a great—and arguably more concise—album if it ended at the twelfth track.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

There are remnants of Walking on the Sky that make it feel like an album closer, but I can’t possibly see Dying Light become a B-side. Don’t know why Solace was ever one either. Your point has merit and still technically keeps Dying Light at the end, but as I have contemplated certain track rearrangements before, this wasn’t necessarily one of the ones I considered changing.

Speaking of Walking on the Sky, I always thought the chorus said: “Do you feel her alive?” instead of just “Do you fee-uhl alive?” I liked thinking of characterizing the sky as a female (as we do with cars and certain elements of nature).

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

It would make more sense moving Dying Light to be around song 7-8 and move everything else down one spot imo now that you mention Walking on the Sky as the closer idea.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Yeah there's no way they'd ever hold back such a strong track. I'm more enamored with the idea of them doing so; since their music is so consistently good, they could probably afford to pull tricks like that.
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Speaking of Walking on the Sky, I always thought the chorus said: “Do you feel her alive?” instead of just “Do you fee-uhl alive?” I liked thinking of characterizing the sky as a female (as we do with cars and certain elements of nature).
Plausible given "her" could be referring to the girl on the cover, ascending upwards to walk the sky.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

WaywardOne wrote:Totally random but I just realized this: Take The Crown outro = Cauterize outro. Not a bad thing!
Can't say I agree.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Kreuger wrote:
WaywardOne wrote:Totally random but I just realized this: Take The Crown outro = Cauterize outro. Not a bad thing!
Can't say I agree.
I can understand the association and instrumentally they might be similar, but the Cauterize outro has a very different feeling than the TTC one. Walk Away by Sevendust is the comparison that immediately popped up in my mind when I first listened to the Cauterize outro.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Blackbird wrote:
Kreuger wrote:
Can't say I agree.
I can understand the association and instrumentally they might be similar, but the Cauterize outro has a very different feeling than the TTC one. Walk Away by Sevendust is the comparison that immediately popped up in my mind when I first listened to the Cauterize outro.
YES, I always thought the same on that, though there's a bit more going on with the Cauterize outro.

Thierry
Bought The CDs

Post by Thierry »

Great album. Not better than Fortress but almost as good. I’m still listening to it on a daily basis. Lots of standout songs. Way more solid than Last Hero which has a fair amount of filler songs.

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

Just listened to this potential One Life into Clear Horizon. I think it works quite well.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Here is an interview Myles gave in Warsaw. Billie Eilish is the best female vocalist right now in his opinion.
https://youtu.be/ptzP0hGzuqw

abw1987
Blood Machines

Yes I used a word from "Blackbird"

Post by abw1987 »

Fun fact: it takes exactly one Walk the Sky listen-through to unfurl an artificial Christmas tree and decorate it with string lights.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Umm...no reason. Just a question...Because there aren't any b-sides.

Post by gbruin »

abw1987 wrote:Fun fact: it takes exactly one Walk the Sky listen-through to unfurl an artificial Christmas tree and decorate it with string lights.
Does that include the obligatory annual berating with multiple readjustments when the tree is 0.37 degrees out of plumb in the y-axis?
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: Umm...no reason. Just a question...Because there aren't any b-sides.

Post by abw1987 »

gbruin wrote:
abw1987 wrote:Fun fact: it takes exactly one Walk the Sky listen-through to unfurl an artificial Christmas tree and decorate it with string lights.
Does that include the obligatory annual berating with multiple readjustments when the tree is 0.37 degrees out of plumb in the y-axis?
Yes, and the upper-half restringing when you realize the final light strand is slightly too short to make it all the way to the top, but adding yet another string would be way too long.