Walk The Sky Production Quality.

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: The Chinese Democracy way of album making! Tinker until it's overproduced!

Post by Inconquerable »

Yeah project files sorry! I do have the data files, but you're probably right that the computer can't find them, even though they're all in a folder with the project file. =P

Do you know of any way to fix that by chance? I haven't really looked into it truthfully, and I've saved all of the songs as MP3s anyway (and I have the old computer that they were done on), but it might be fun to go back in and mess with them.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Chinese Democracy way of album making! Tinker until it's overproduced!

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Inconquerable wrote:Yeah project files sorry! I do have the data files, but you're probably right that the computer can't find them, even though they're all in a folder with the project file. =P

Do you know of any way to fix that by chance? I haven't really looked into it truthfully, and I've saved all of the songs as MP3s anyway (and I have the old computer that they were done on), but it might be fun to go back in and mess with them.
Yeah man, I can't say that I know. Every project you save comes in folders with a bunch of project data (that has a subfolder titled e00, and then subfolders titled d00, d01, etc, and then they have things within those).

It's likely if those are missing that you probably can't retrieve them again, but I don't know too much about that.

littledreamer
Brand New Start

Re: Walk The Sky Production Quality.

Post by littledreamer »

So a couple of weeks or so after my last EQ job, personal version 5.2, I have to say- for me- I have freaking knocked this one out of the park. It's open, the bass kick that DROVE ME INSANE is tight and controlled, I can hear the actually bassline, Mark's solos and guitar work suddenly are meaty and clear, and Myles vocals are soaring without being sharp! Someone should really try my eq/compress job that I posted a few pages back, and see for yourself- then love it or rip me a new one for being lost- I don't care, but you should at least try one song. Proves Elvis is lost at producing when I can do this. I've enjoyed WTS more in the last few weeks that anytime since release.

I feel I've freed the music to shine for what it should've been in the first place. Try it! If I wasn't concerned about legalities of file sharing, I'd share directly, but alas that's not going to happen. However, I've shared the eq files again, pop them into Audacity, do the compression part(usually makes things worse- makes this soar, don't really know why), and you're gold.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

I'm using it, and I surely enjoy it. Thanks!

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Matt Heafy from Trivium recently about talked the producers he's worked with, and here's what he had to say about Elvis, with whom he worked in 2015:

(it starts around the 39:33 mark)

Basically, he's saying that the producer put them in a box and set somes rules about the musical direction of the album.
Let's stay over here in that area.
So, in a way, he's telling the exact opposite of what Mark and Myles usually say about Elvis' positive influence on the band's music.
Last edited by chtimixeur on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Very interesting. Great find. I think in a way that Matt, while feeling the opposite about the influence, is also saying the same thing that Mark and Myles say about the process. Mark and Myles like the rigid direction and structure that Elvis provides (they always talk about "checking the boxes" so they must have a preconceived idea of what they want), while Matt clearly likes the result when the process is more organic without trying to fit into some template.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

gbruin wrote:Very interesting. Great find. I think in a way that Matt, while feeling the opposite about the influence, is also saying the same thing that Mark and Myles say about the process. Mark and Myles like the rigid direction and structure that Elvis provides (they always talk about "checking the boxes" so they must have a preconceived idea of what they want), while Matt clearly likes the result when the process is more organic without trying to fit into some template.
I think this is along the lines of the difference between the two. Trivium has a few albums that aren’t as cookie-cutter compared to what Silence in the Snow was. I’m not saying Alter Bridge is all cookie-cutter, but they’re pretty formula based compared to a Trivium record like Shogun.

Mark and Myles tend to treat Elvis like a 5th band member who can directly influence the songs. Matt probably likes his producers to make the albums sound good without limiting his input.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

If I remember correctly, Evlis also wanted to replace the drummer, because he wasn't good enough in the studio.

After working with Elvis, Trivium hired Josh Wilbur, and man did it make a difference. It felt like they were finally unleashed creatively, and their next two albums were wery well received by the fans and critics.
I feel the same thing could happen with Alter Bridge if they finally stepped out of their comfort zone and finally worked with someone else who has no preconceptions about they're supposed to sound like.

Sugar Blade
Bought The CDs

Post by Sugar Blade »

The should totally release remixed/remastered versions of their previous albums when they turn 20 in 2024.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Sugar Blade wrote:The should totally release remixed/remastered versions of their previous albums when they turn 20 in 2024.
Sadly, if they did that then ODR and BB would be butchered.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Sugar Blade wrote:The should totally release remixed/remastered versions of their previous albums when they turn 20 in 2024.
That's true and sad.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

That will never happen, because it would mean Elvis didn't do a good job in the first place.
There is no way they will ever diss him like that.
Too bad for the fans.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

George wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
That's true and sad.
I never particularly found Blackbird's mix to be all that great. It's a bit... closed in. Certainly dated to that period of 00s production techniques.

ODR is a tad more old-school in sound.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Crumbso wrote:
George wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
That's true and sad.
I never particularly found Blackbird's mix to be all that great. It's a bit... closed in. Certainly dated to that period of 00s production techniques.

As much as I agree with this, it still has the closest feel to ODR, and is significantly better than what they would do with it now given how their albums sound.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Crumbso wrote:
George wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
That's true and sad.

As much as I agree with this, it still has the closest feel to ODR, and is significantly better than what they would do with it now given how their albums sound.
I can agree with that, with the proviso that, somehow, Fortress sounded great to me. Maybe a touch brittle in the high-end but overall fairly clean.

ABIII and WTS are fundamentally ok but way too dense in the arrangement and TLH is just a brick-walled mess.

The best thing AB could do is to release the stems of all the albums. I would adore the chance to do my own mix of all this material. EQ individual instruments, strip out some unnecessary dubs, push focus on certain grooves etc. I'd pay good money for that chance.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

We haven't been buried alive

Post by gbruin »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Crumbso wrote:
George wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
That's true and sad.

Yeah. That plus Myles vocals and Mark's clean tone back then...those things were so pure.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

ODR is the greatest in my opinion.

Best guitar tone of Mark's career.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: ODR riff would just be a legato string

Post by zazthespaz »

I'm curious what would happen if they remastered ODR or BB with Elvis at the helm. I wonder if having side by side comparisons would make AB hear how muddy Elvis makes things sound.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Didn't Elvis produce BB? That one does not sound that bad.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Dolo wrote:Didn't Elvis produce BB? That one does not sound that bad.
He did. Could be improved a little though. I don't think it has aged as well as ODR.