Forever Falling: AB's best work since Blackbird title track?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Forever Falling: AB's best work since Blackbird title track?

Post by scarecrow »

abw1987 wrote:Yes you told me so, but you were wrong! :dance
It will become one of their most beloved songs!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

I'm really late to this thread. I see two topics being discussed: how Forever Falling is (not) the best Alter Bridge song since Blackbird, and how similar Isolation and Crows On A Wire are.

There are quite a few songs that members of this forum hyped me up for, only for me to be disappointed after hearing them: Life Must Go On, Island Of Fools, Forever Falling, and Walking On The Sky. Also, Calm The Fire is getting a lot more attention than I believe it should be. It's just opinions.

Mark's singing almost doesn't sound like himself on Forever Falling (or Godspeed, now that I think of it). There's no epic chorus. The whole song seems kinda bland.

This was an excerpt from a conversation on The Random Alter Bridge Thread:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:15 pm
maximzub wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:03 pmMark actually sounds really "not like himself" in that song. Musically, I don't find it any more special than a lot of their epics. That's why I disagree with people calling the song as their best work since Blackbird.
Noooo no no no no. If someone is saying that, they're high. "Walking on the sky" kind of high.

See what I mean?

////////////////

Just because two songs sound really similar to each other doesn't mean one is really bad. If the first one (e.g. Isolation) worked well, then creating a similar song (e.g. Crows On A Wire) would appeal to fans the same way. And judging by their live sets (both in 2017, when The Last Hero phase was dying down, and 2019, when they almost completely ignored The Last Hero), Crows On A Wire is still something they play for the audiences, because it works.

As for personal opinions, I like both songs. In my Top 5 Alter Bridge songs, Crows On A Wire is #5 and Isolation is #4. It's also similar to two songs from my favorite band Volbeat. The song Lola Montez was a huge hit when they first released it in 2013, and a song similar to it, The Bliss, was also a moderate hit when released in 2016. The Bliss is my all-time favorite Volbeat song, and Lola Montez is right behind it. I just like the kind of song that Lola Montez and The Bliss, and Isolation and Crows On A Wire, are.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

I love Forever Falling, I still remember how good I felt the first time I heard that song, but personally I think it has one of AB's worst bridges ever, when it comes to that point I usually change the song.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Blackbirddd wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:53 pm I love Forever Falling, I still remember how good I felt the first time I heard that song, but personally I think it has one of AB's worst bridges ever, when it comes to that point I usually change the song.
I don't hate the bridge, but it does fall short of the rest of the song which is all close to perfect (when that chorus hits...). Wonder if they could've developed the outro bit for it instead, but I'm sure they probably tried something along those lines and weren't feeling it.
For all of the hope that it brings...

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

Forever Falling is finally growing on me (I only picked up the album late last year). I felt like the opening was exotic and good but then the song didn’t live up to it. The opening riff makes for an awkward chorus in my opinion. But to each his own.

I love Isolation (mostly because of the opening riff, but Brian’s bass sound in the chorus is also really awesome). I can’t say I ever made any connection to Crows on the Wire. Someone above said Crows sounds very “by the numbers” and I’d have to agree.

Overall I’m really liking Walk the Sky. I didn’t love The Last Hero. It continues to slowly grow on me but it’s my least favorite AB album for sure. I do love “The Writing on the Wall” though. Any song that makes great use of a bell is always A+ in my book.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

davidstvz wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:39 pm Overall I’m really liking Walk the Sky. I didn’t love The Last Hero. It continues to slowly grow on me but it’s my least favorite AB album for sure. I do love “The Writing on the Wall” though. Any song that makes great use of a bell is always A+ in my book.
Walk The Sky just sounds really strange. Tunings, production, atmosphere, the use of synths.... From that album I only listen to Native Son, Godspeed, Clear Horizon, and the live version of Wouldn't You Rather. Lots of creepy songs. Forever Falling and Walking On The Sky didn't nearly live up to my expectations. In The Deep, Indoctrination, and Pay No Mind scare me. Dying Light is not the same kind of epic like their older epic songs. I don't remember Take The Crown leaving any kind of lasting impression on me.

The Last Hero, on the other hand, is solid. Crows On A Wire and The Writing On The Wall are top 10 for me, and Show Me A Leader, Cradle To The Grave, and The Last Hero are also really good. Island Of Fools was underwhelming first time I heard it, so maybe if I listen to it again while paying more attention, it might start to grow on me. My Champion, on the other hand, exceeded my expectations. This Side Of Fate was another disappointment. It's just really creepy. I never liked The Other Side, and there's nothing special about Poison In Your Veins.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

maximzub wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:12 pm
davidstvz wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:39 pm Overall I’m really liking Walk the Sky. I didn’t love The Last Hero. It continues to slowly grow on me but it’s my least favorite AB album for sure. I do love “The Writing on the Wall” though. Any song that makes great use of a bell is always A+ in my book.
Walk The Sky just sounds really strange. Tunings, production, atmosphere, the use of synths.... From that album I only listen to Native Son, Godspeed, Clear Horizon, and the live version of Wouldn't You Rather. Lots of creepy songs. Forever Falling and Walking On The Sky didn't nearly live up to my expectations. In The Deep, Indoctrination, and Pay No Mind scare me. Dying Light is not the same kind of epic like their older epic songs. I don't remember Take The Crown leaving any kind of lasting impression on me.

The Last Hero, on the other hand, is solid. Crows On A Wire and The Writing On The Wall are top 10 for me, and Show Me A Leader, Cradle To The Grave, and The Last Hero are also really good. Island Of Fools was underwhelming first time I heard it, so maybe if I listen to it again while paying more attention, it might start to grow on me. My Champion, on the other hand, exceeded my expectations. This Side Of Fate was another disappointment. It's just really creepy. I never liked The Other Side, and there's nothing special about Poison In Your Veins.
The Last Hero gets better and better for me. I think what really throws me is that I don't like the opening track that much. I like it more now, but I still don't like that chorus much (musically or lyrically), especially compared to the openers on the previous 3 albums. I don't see what else they could have opened with though.

I do agree that Walk the Sky as a dark album overall, though I'm not sure how In the Deep is dark musically or lyrically. I think the openers One Life and Wouldn't You Rather sound much darker. I would have opened with In the Deep... it has a really dramatic intro that would have been perfect for starting an album. Even so, I've always loved dark songs personally. Indoctrination is definitely dark. I'd say Native Son is as well actually.

And I don't mind the use of synths. It reminds me of Iron Maiden's Seventh Son (similar color scheme for the cover art too). They also got flack for using synths more prominently but it helps to get the creative juices flowing later in the career I think. And except for the intro to Godspeed and Walking on the Sky, it's not dominant or anything. The rest of the songs still work entirely without the synths.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

davidstvz wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:15 pm
maximzub wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:12 pm

The Last Hero gets better and better for me. I think what really throws me is that I don't like the opening track that much. I like it more now, but I still don't like that chorus much (musically or lyrically), especially compared to the openers on the previous 3 albums. I don't see what else they could have opened with though.

I do agree that Walk the Sky as a dark album overall, though I'm not sure how In the Deep is dark musically or lyrically. I think the openers One Life and Wouldn't You Rather sound much darker. I would have opened with In the Deep... it has a really dramatic intro that would have been perfect for starting an album. Even so, I've always loved dark songs personally. Indoctrination is definitely dark. I'd say Native Son is as well actually.

And I don't mind the use of synths. It reminds me of Iron Maiden's Seventh Son (similar color scheme for the cover art too). They also got flack for using synths more prominently but it helps to get the creative juices flowing later in the career I think. And except for the intro to Godspeed and Walking on the Sky, it's not dominant or anything. The rest of the songs still work entirely without the synths.
You're right about Show Me A Leader being a weak opener, but I don't know what else could have been.

The One Life/Wouldn't You Rather opener combination doesn't work well either, but none of the songs are really epic openers. The closest to a good opener probably would be Clear Horizon. Maybe paired with a One Life style intro, but in the key of D minor.

That In The Deep intro haunts me.

And synth is very dominant in the intro of Pay No Mind.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

I forgot about Pay No Mind. Yes that’s some heavy synth as well. It sounds so cool though! I wonder if some of the synth is actually the electro harmonic micro synth guitar (or bass) pedal. I’m not sure what kind of sounds you can get from it exactly but they definitely use them according to interviews I’ve read.

I love the intro to in the deep. The song name makes me think of water and so does the riff. It’s controlled chaos.

When you say a song is creepy you mean words or music? Or the combination?

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

davidstvz wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:48 pm When you say a song is creepy you mean words or music? Or the combination?
It's usually music. I listened to This Side Of Fate for the first time today and the chord progression (G F# E Eb C#) doesn't sit well with me. Sometimes there are exceptions where the lyrics scare me as well, like Lover. Or The Judas Kiss by Metallica.

I've only listened to In The Deep in its entirety once, and I remember it not sitting well with me. I heard the intro a few times since, and I didn't like it. Just now I skimmed through the song, and it reminded me that the chorus melody didn't really sit well with me either.

I also don't like the "sludginess" of Indoctrination. The drums don't even sound natural in the beginning. And I wish the solo wasn't a ripoff of The Writing On The Wall, because that's an awesome song with an awesome solo.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

So, to answer the title of this threat : no, off course not ! Stupid question. Never heard of the ABIII and Fortress albums ? So much tracks on those albums that exceed everything on TLH and WTS. Complete different league.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Please, it's not that stupid of a question. I, for one, love Forever Falling. Is it better than Blackbird? Not really, but I see it as another great strong song from them that's pretty much in the upper echelons of AB songs (including the best songs from Fortress).
Last edited by anguyen92 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's really in the bottom 10 songs AB have made. Even Waters Rising is better, and that's in my bottom 3-4 of Fortress for me.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.