The meaning of each Alter Bridge song

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Kreuger
White Knuckled

Re: The meaning of each Alter Bridge song

Post by Kreuger »

New Way to Live is the song about Brian's alcoholism.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

So Burn it Down was written about the movie Salton Sea, Down to my last if memory is serving me correctly is how Creed were treated by the press and the hate they got when they got big.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Thanks to everyone.
I've updated the original post, and added a couple of new quotes here and there.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

I'm certain that The Bitter End is about re-framing your existence as a person.

Acknowledging/accepting our mortality, no longer worrying about existential things outside of our control, and finding meaning/enjoyment in whatever we feel gives us purpose in life.

I think Myles may have mentioned this somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find where. If I do I'll edit the post and link it.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

@RevenantGB: thanks :)

I've added some old quotes from the ODR era, by the way.
If other members have theories or direct quotes from interviews, feel free to share them. ;)

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

chtimixeur wrote:
3. Open your Eyes
cheesedip1's interpretation: it's about either people in the world coming together as people, "we are all one" kind of thing. To paraphrase, Mark basically said "it's about you and your closest group of friends, whatever happens to you in life whatever things you go through, you and your closest friends, you're gonna make it through (through life)".

Mark said that quote in an interview from the ListenIn.org website, back in the day. I think I got the name right but I may have it
wrong. It was a website that hosted band interviews, and the bands would briefly discuss certain meanings of certain songs. I'm not sure if it's still around. They used to have a Youtube channel with some of the interviews.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I found the website and the Youtube channel, but couldn't find old school Mark interviews. There's just one about his first solo record.
If anyone has those old interviews, please send me a pm, I'll transcribe them.

By the way, I've updated the original post quite a bit. It's getting harder and harder to find new quotes.
This topic about Fortress song meanings seems quite helpful, but I haven't read it all yet:
http://www.thealterbridgenation.com/for ... f=8&t=1593

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

"16. On my Way Now"

Maybe in bizaro land where this was actually recorded and released.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Carry on

Post by zazthespaz »

Bumping this thread cause I wanna promote it on Facebook and I think it's a good thread to be on the front page of AB related.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Nice!
I've made a few updates over the last couple of months, by the way.

hardkase73
Brand New Start

Post by hardkase73 »

This is a really cool thread - thanks! Any thoughts about adding Pawns & Kings content to it?

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I know they'll never cop to it publicly because they don't want to alienate half of their fanbase, but Silver Tongue is clearly about Trump and the Jan. 6 insurrection.

Quote from Myles: "This is a theme I’ve touched on a few times in the past because it fascinates me. It’s about a charismatic figure who’s capable of seducing people with what he says. This figure knows he won’t be held accountable because he talks others into doing things and taking the fall."

Clearly about Trump.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

TenaciousBe wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:26 am I know they'll never cop to it publicly because they don't want to alienate half of their fanbase, but Silver Tongue is clearly about Trump and the Jan. 6 insurrection.

Quote from Myles: "This is a theme I’ve touched on a few times in the past because it fascinates me. It’s about a charismatic figure who’s capable of seducing people with what he says. This figure knows he won’t be held accountable because he talks others into doing things and taking the fall."

Clearly about Trump.
I believe there is also another interview where he mentions have watching documentaries on cults having been inspiration for this song.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Jhenrid wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:27 am I believe there is also another interview where he mentions have watching documentaries on cults having been inspiration for this song.
You're thinking about Indoctrination:
7. Indoctrination
Direct Quote from Myles: "It is about a really bad cult leader. Where it came from was actually a Netflix documentary I saw about a cult leader."
Source: https://rollingstoneindia.com/alter-bri ... interview/
Translated Quote from Mark: "it talks about a guru who attracts people and brainwashes them."
Source: http://www.radiometal.com/article/alter ... age,349308
There is no doubt in my mind that Silver Tongue is about January 6.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

chtimixeur wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:47 pm There is no doubt in my mind that Silver Tongue is about January 6.
You're probably right. I respect Myles and the band for not making a big song and dance out of it though. There's some bands/artists out there that would have spoken about it in interviews non-stop, made a music video full of Jan 6 imagery etc. I'm reminded of The Killers and the music video they made a few years ago, back when hand wringing about the US border was the cool thing to do.