What happened to the riffs?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Re: What happened to the riffs?

Post by TenaciousBe »

I do think the guys are trying hard to write more complicated, intricate music these days, challenging themselves as songwriters, and that may translate to less chunky/memorable riffs. That has its ups and downs, but they've gotta be left to do what feels right to them.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

There are some killer riffs sprinkled throughout TLH and WTS. Crows On A Wire, Native Son, The Other Side, Wouldn't You Rather!

Since the days of Torn and Ode to Fear, Cauterize and now Last Rites. Mark has been a riff machine for over two decades. I can't say I'm surprised that there's a pinch of stagnation on the past couple records.

The guys are so busy with so many bands and songs and irons in the fire, how neither Mark or Myles haven't burned out entirely is beyond me...

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

The sad thing with Mark is that my favorite riff of his, and yes, favorite riff... is apart of Tremonti and not Alter Bridge. And that song was released almost 5 years ago.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

AB4Lyfe wrote:The sad thing with Mark is that my favorite riff of his, and yes, favorite riff... is apart of Tremonti and not Alter Bridge. And that song was released almost 5 years ago.
Which song? I don't listen to Tremonti, so I'm curious.

I've only heard two or three songs that are constantly mentioned on here, and I forget their names now. I think one is called Dust?

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:The sad thing with Mark is that my favorite riff of his, and yes, favorite riff... is apart of Tremonti and not Alter Bridge. And that song was released almost 5 years ago.
Which song? I don't listen to Tremonti, so I'm curious.

I've only heard two or three songs that are constantly mentioned on here, and I forget their names now. I think one is called Dust?
The song is called My Last Mistake. There’s two great riffs on that track but the one I’m referring to is the rhythm guitar riff during the solo, and the outro riff. It was used in a Tremonti promo that I can’t find anywhere. Played such a small role in the song, but I fuck with that riff heavy.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

I agree TLH is majorly lacking in catchy riffs. There are riffs, but they’re a lot more subtle.

Walk the Sky is almost a return to form as far as I’m concerned. Plenty of good riffs there. In the Deep? Native Son? Indoctrination? Maybe there could be more, but it only takes 3 or 4 great songs to make an album for me.

TLH is indeed lacking in this regard, especially coming off of Cauterize and Dust. It just seemed to me like Tremonti burned himself out on his solo albums and didn’t have any riffs left. TLH has grown on me slowly and steadily though.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Mark seems to be back. That Thrown Further riff is killer.

Now, A World Away is a different story. What's the point in pounding the first two open strings over and over?
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
I'm in love with somebody...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

maximzub wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:24 pm Mark seems to be back. That Thrown Further riff is killer.

Now, A World Away is a different story. What's the point in pounding the first two open strings over and over?
See, I like Thrown Further as a song but I thought that that riff was pretty dumb - just a couple notes played up and down E harmonic minor.

A World Away is just an instance of him going a little bit sludgy and there is nothing wrong with that kind of riff, I just wish that the whole arrangement was more interesting.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Thrown further from your negativity noooooooooooooooow
Thanks Andy!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Micky wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:20 pm Thrown further from your negativity noooooooooooooooow
Thanks for your input. Very mature.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Dolo wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:49 pm
Micky wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:20 pm Thrown further from your negativity noooooooooooooooow
Thanks for your input. Very mature.
The attitude, Dolo, I can feel it
But I know that I don’t ever neeeeeed it, nooooooooo
Thanks Andy!