Walk the Sky Europe 2019 Tour w/ Shinedown and the Raven Age

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Re: Walk the Sky Europe 2019 Tour w/ Shinedown and the Raven Age

Post by AngusWolfe »

Although the O2 gig was ages ago now, I never managed to put my thoughts down about it, so why not now, as part of it has my thoughts on Shinedown as well.

Firstly, I didn't know Sevendust couldn't make it, and tbh, if I'd known The Raven Age were playing, I would have turned up earlier. Nothing against Sevendust, but they've never blown me away and I would have been more interested in hearing a band I don't know much about and learning about them. The three songs I heard from them were absolutely fantastic and I wish I had heard more.

Shinedown, again. This is the third time I've seen this band, and I never really wanted to. Once with AB on the tour with Halestorm, once supporting Iron Maiden, and now once again. tbh it felt like the same show to me. The same corny lines and "shake the hand of the guy next to you" crap every time. Shake it up dude. I listened to a bit of them when I was younger and I've never been a huge fan, but the one song that still pops in my head occasionally is "I Dare You" from yep, Us and Them. Otherwise I find them just a bit generic and uninspired. It is therefore very interesting that they did seem to get the crowd moving a bit more than Alter Bridge. A fair few people around me left (maybe just for the bar) and a few more really didn't seem in to Alter Bridge at all. I feel they should be big enough to do their own headline tour, even if it means that Alter Bridge would need to go back to a smaller venue. I'd rather be surrounded by guys who are there to see Alter Bridge rather than people who were just sticking around, especially as I know a couple of people who wanted tickets to the show but couldn't get them. The RAH shows were partly so fantastic because everybody there genuinely loved Alter Bridge. I don't hate Shinedown, but if AB or any other band I want to see tour with them again, I'll probably skip their set. I only watched this time because I was standing and wanted a decent spot for AB.

If it wasn't for the aforementioned RAH shows, this would have been the best Alter Bridge set I've seen live. They've upped the production game a lot, I think they sounded better than they ever have, the set list was solid (although I would have rather had Forever Falling over Waters Rising and probably The Bitter End over Godspeed, although I admit this may be unpopular. Words Darker Than Their Wings would have been cool, but I kind of like having it only played for the RAH and a couple of shows leading up to it as rehearsal. It adds to how special that song is. As somebody else said, Myles wasn't avoiding as many notes (Even in Metalingus, which was a bit of a mess last time I heard them play it) and they all seemed to be on top form. To think I was thinking of skipping this tour before Walk the Sky came out, how wrong I was. For a minute there I thought we had seen the peak of Alter Bridge, but maybe the Last Hero was only a speed bump after all.

MrsPog
Bought The CDs

Re: Walk the Sky Europe 2019 Tour w/ Shinedown and the Raven Age

Post by MrsPog »

So the speculation on here was right, AB are on the main stage at Download (Saturday) before Iron Maiden. I feel a day ticket coming on...