Battle Of The Track Numbers: Track 06

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!

BOTTN: Track 06

Poll ended at Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:41 am

Broken Wings
44%
Before Tomorrow Comes
21%
Make It Right
No votes
Peace Is Broken
13%
Cradle To The Grave
21%
Take The Crown
3%

Total votes: 39

jailman
Bought The CDs

Re: Battle Of The Track Numbers: Track 06

Post by jailman »

Blackbird wrote:Track 05 Winner: Metalingus (One Day Remains)

The Last Blackbird Fortress Remains The Sky III.5
(that name is even more ridiculous than last time.)

01. Cry Of Achilles
02. Isolation
03. Ghost Of Days Gone By
04. Lover
05. Metalingus
06. -
07. -
08. -
09. -
10. -
11. -
12. -
13. -
14. -
15. -
16. -
17. -
wow. terrible result. I like 3 songs better than Metalingus there.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

anguyen92 wrote:Well, the public that voted has spoken and that's how they feel. Deal with it.
Yeah, still an iffy system though. When all is said and done, only first-place votes are considered. It's the best we can do, but it's not an ultimate end-all/be-all with it either. A point system with ranking them would have fit more appropriately if we had a way of measuring that and everyone ranked theirs.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Man, Broken Wings seems SUPER overrated to me. It’s not even one of my favorites from that album. I know a lot of people love Cradle as well, but I don’t like it as much.

Gotta give my vote to Before Tomorrow Comes. I remember back in the day, Universal released previews of like 3 songs and BTC was one of them, and I absolutely loved it. The beautifully melodic guitars, especially in the intro, are fantastic, and it’s one of the handful of songs that always gives me a pleasant feeling of nostalgia when I play it.

Before Tomorrow Comes
Cradle To the Grave
Make It Right
Broken Wings
Take the Crown
Peace Is Broken

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Another tough one but I'm going to follow my gut and choose "Cradle to the Grave". The entire song is just so beautiful. Somber yet powerful. I'm all for the overwrought melodrama mentioned above. :lol

"Broken Wings" would be a close second. My mind again goes back to the ODR previews that were released on AB's website leading up to the album's release. I remember it included a bit of the verse, whose dark sound I immediately loved, but then the brighter sounding chorus hit and blew me away. I had a tough time rating CttG above BW but in hindsight, BW is just a tad straightforward to make first place. Still, it will always have a special place in my heart.

The next few are difficult to rank against each other as well but I'll go with "Take The Crown" third. Its riffs and verse melody are very strong, though the first part of the bridge is a letdown for me.

In fourth place I'd put "Peace Is Broken". A massively underappreciated song full of awesome riffs and a forceful bridge.

"Before Tomorrow Comes" takes fifth place for me. It just never clicked as one of my favorites, although I recognize it's a positive and uplifting song full of great melodies, and special mention to Mark's "wah" backing vocals. A great inclusion in any live set as well.

"Make It Right" is a distant last place for me. Some of AB's weakest melodies IMO.

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

Broken Wings.

Before Tomorrow Comes is 2nd

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Winner: Broken Wings

... with a huge lead over BTC and Cradle who share the second place. Once again, WTS doesn't get much love here - I'm curious whether we'll even end up with a single one of its songs in the final list.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I think it could take track 11. I’d have to think about it vs. The End Is Here, but I’d probably vote Clear Horizon for that one. I already think Native Son should have won track 5.

I also just looked at track 9, it seems to be a historically weak track number for AB. I’d honestly vote Pay No Mind over the rest.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

oh man poor make it right
Thanks Timo!

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

It’s strange, I don’t get the hate for Make It Right. I didn’t like it a ton when the album came out, but I’ve been listening to it lately and it’s pretty damn good. Nice solo too.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Arctic wrote:It’s strange, I don’t get the hate for Make It Right. I didn’t like it a ton when the album came out, but I’ve been listening to it lately and it’s pretty damn good. Nice solo too.
The riff is the inferior little brother of that in Words Darker Than Their Wings. The first time you hear it, it ain't bad. Then Words comes up, and you're like: "What was that silly other one that tried to be like it?"

It's a good song throughout, and that chorus is building: "Into the fire you fall..." and then it falls flat on its face after that. It's short and anticlimactic. I'm still in the camp that a perfect song with a weak chorus is not a good song indeed, and that a chorus can save any craptacular song's verses at any point as well.

My favorite kinds of songs, which I'll mention by the Track 08 thread, are ones that obviously have stellar parts everywhere, but also where even pre-choruses are pretty good on their own to stand as choruses, then you find out there is still another chorus that is right before it. In the case of Alter Bridge, I'm thinking of a song like Down To My Last (another example would be Breath by Breaking Benjamin).

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Peace is Broken is a Top 10 AB song, criminally underrated. Cradle to the Grave is a bottom 10-15 AB song, criminally overrated. I’ll go and hide now :shifty
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

AHart96 wrote:Peace is Broken is a Top 10 AB song, criminally underrated. Cradle to the Grave is a bottom 10-15 AB song, criminally overrated. I’ll go and hide now :shifty
i completely agree with you

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Can mods change their vote?

Post by zazthespaz »

AHart96 wrote:Peace is Broken is a Top 10 AB song, criminally underrated. Cradle to the Grave is a bottom 10-15 AB song, criminally overrated. I’ll go and hide now :shifty
Don't agree on CttG but you're right about Peace... kinda regretting my vote now :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

Broken Wings
Cradle to the Grave
Before Tomorrow Comes
Take the Crown
Peace is Broken
Make it right

jailman
Bought The CDs

Post by jailman »

I'll say Take the Corwn here. Damn good song. Broken Wings second.