Battle Of The Track Numbers: Track 09

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!

BOTTN: Track 09

Poll ended at Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:59 pm

Watch Your Words
5%
One By One
3%
Show Me A Sign
39%
Farther Than The Sun
18%
You Will Be Remembered
No votes
Pay No Mind
34%

Total votes: 38

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Re: Battle Of The Track Numbers: Track 09

Post by One Drew Remains »

Yeah. It's neck and neck with WR for me too.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Buffon
Bought The CDs

Post by Buffon »

Farther Than The Sun is miles better than Calm the Fire.

Could have gone with any of the first four here, they're all solid songs without being top-tier. You Will Be Remembered deserves to end with zero votes

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

FTTS and Cry A River are the bottom two. That’s all. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. :lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Pay No Mind is better than anything on Fortress. Change my mind.
Thanks Andy!

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Lol. If it wasn't for the chorus, I wouldn't like Pay No Mind much. Very middle of the road for me.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Looking at the Battle of the Tracks ahead. #12 is so cruel. All of the songs on that slot (except for ODR since it doesn't have an official track 12) could easily make a top five track of their respective albums and we got to pick only one to win this bout when these offerings in track 9 are middle of the road kind of tracks?

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Micky wrote:Pay No Mind is better than anything on Fortress. Change my mind.
:no :mope
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Oooh. A tie currently. The excitement. I wonder who'll come in 2nd place :lol (just joshing!)

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

One Drew Remains wrote:Lol. If it wasn't for the chorus, I wouldn't like Pay No Mind much. Very middle of the road for me.
It just makes me wonder if I would like the chorus to Pay No Mind if they harmonized Myles with himself or with Mark from its start. It's the only chorus on Walk the Sky that does not have harmonizing throughout the whole chorus.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

This battle reminds me of track 5. At first glance none of them seem to stand out, but upon further thought there are some great songs in this bunch, making them very tough to rank!

I'll give this one to Show me a Sign, by a hair. Such an underrated song, I really think it's one of the quintessential AB III tracks both in sound and theme. It honestly feels like the moment Myles lost his faith, captured in a song. And as a bonus, it has one of Alter Bridge's classiest outros.

As for the rest:
Pay No Mind – I might be rating this #2 out of novelty, but the main groove is just so infectious.
One By One – criminally underrated. A fairly straightforward song, but the chorus gives me chills every time, especially given the subject matter.
Watch Your Words – I hate to put this at #4 because I love this song. A unique structure that mixes the very concepts of verse/chorus/bridge, and riffs as chuggy as can be.
Farther Than The Sun – another I hate to rank so low. Live, it's one of my favorites. Such a headbanger! The recorded version stands out less to me amidst the rest of AB's catalogue, but the melodies are catchy and the back-to-back Myles/Mark solos are fantastic.
You Will Be Remembered – I'm fine ranking this one last :lol

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

As an anti-patriotic German who thinks that national pride is a relict of the past, I'm really happy to see YWBR performing so badly here and to read that many posts stating that it's definitely the bottom choice.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Blackbird wrote:As an anti-patriotic German who thinks that national pride is a relict of the past, I'm really happy to see YWBR performing so badly here and to read that many posts stating that it's definitely the bottom choice.
Eh, my dislike of the song has little to do with the subject matter and more to do with the song being completely musically bland.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

VigilantSteve wrote:
Blackbird wrote:As an anti-patriotic German who thinks that national pride is a relict of the past, I'm really happy to see YWBR performing so badly here and to read that many posts stating that it's definitely the bottom choice.
Eh, my dislike of the song has little to do with the subject matter and more to do with the song being completely musically bland.
That's totally fine. I'm happy enough that people don't like the song better because of the lyrics even though it sucks musically.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Yeah, it's very generic. Should have been a b side
Altered:

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I too am less bothered by the lyrical theme and more by the cheese factor. The uplifting ballad music paired with the "you will be remembered" line is just a tad over the top for me. Plus some of Myles's harmonies are comically high. :lol

@Blackbird: if it helps put you more at ease with the lyrics, it's not necessarily about remembering fallen military servicemen. In the video below, Myles describes how the song fits in with the overall theme of heroes on TLH, and could be interpreted as commemorating any hero—such as first responders (i.e., firemen, police, EMT, etc.)—not just troops.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

Pay No Mind without a doubt

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Watch Your Words has always been one of their most underrated tracks. That opening riff is just nasty and heavy and I love it! That one gets my vote (with honorable mention to Pay No Mind for being similarly awesome).
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Winner: Show Me A Sign

... thankfully! This one was a battle I was really afraid about because of how controversial SMAS is received in the AB community.

Not being biased, of course. Never!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Wait. Show Me A Sign is a controversial track? How so? Sure, it's probably one of their most darkest songs in their catalog, but I don't see how it would rile someone up.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Very few people have claimed to like it on here, and it never clicked live according to Mark.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp