Battle Of The Track Numbers: Track 12

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!

BOTTN: Track 12

Poll ended at Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:24 am

Save Me
No votes
White Knuckles
8%
Coeur d'Alene
5%
Fortress
76%
Island Of Fools
5%
Walking On The Sky
5%

Total votes: 37

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: Battle Of The Track Numbers: Track 12

Post by anguyen92 »

I don't think Breathe, Solance, and Cruel sun would be associated with The Last Hero or ODR since the track is not listed on either albums, but the O2 Arena Live CD. Never Born to Follow and We Don't Care At All would probably be associated on their respective albums since they were released on AB III and Blackbird (just in different regions).

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

anguyen92 wrote:I don't think Breathe, Solance, and Cruel sun would be associated with The Last Hero or ODR since the track is not listed on either albums, but the O2 Arena Live CD. Never Born to Follow and We Don't Care At All would probably be associated on their respective albums since they were released on AB III and Blackbird (just in different regions).
I was mostly wondering because of our 2016 threads, where Breathe seems to have fallen in as a "Track 15" item. Also, since those Solace and Cruel Son were released on the O2 CD, I was thinking "maybe we now consider it ODR canon?"

By the way, Never Born to Follow was not a part of our competition thing last time (EDIT: I think We Don't Care at All actually was, so I guess I shouldn't have mentioned it heh.

I never expected On My Way Now to actually be on one of these since that song has (to our knowledge) never been recorded, and definitely hasn't been released. Just thought I'd throw it into the ring.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Just asking out of future reference: are any of the following songs going to be considered for ranking down the line?

Solace
Cruel Sun
On My Way Now
Never Born to Follow
We Don’t Care At All

And not that it would likely change much, but will Breathe still be associated with TLH instead of ODR?
I'll try to map these songs to the albums that were released during the time they were recorded. So Breathe, for example, will indeed be assigned to ODR.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Makes sense. I'd be curious to see what order you come up with! It already made sense to have "Save Me" as the first ODR b-side option, as it was released well before any others. Some of the international ones might be trickier.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

abw1987 wrote:Makes sense. I'd be curious to see what order you come up with! It already made sense to have "Save Me" as the first ODR b-side option, as it was released well before any others. Some of the international ones might be trickier.
I say he has one of four options. Either do it by O2 Rarities album order, Wikipedia listing order, chronological release order (which would have a tie with two of them), or alphabetically. Most points lead to this order:

13. Breathe
14. Cruel Sun
15. Solace

And there may not be a reason I guess to put We Don't Care at All on this, since it would be the only existing Track 17. Maybe we can just vote for approval or disapproval, "Yes" or "No." :lol

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:And there may not be a reason I guess to put We Don't Care at All on this, since it would be the only existing Track 17. Maybe we can just vote for approval or disapproval, "Yes" or "No." :lol
According to Wikipedia, BB has 16 songs. So Track 16 is WDCAA. The only album to have 17 is AB3 with NBTF being #17.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:And there may not be a reason I guess to put We Don't Care at All on this, since it would be the only existing Track 17. Maybe we can just vote for approval or disapproval, "Yes" or "No." :lol
According to Wikipedia, BB has 16 songs. So Track 16 is WDCAA. The only album to have 17 is AB3 with NBTF being #17.
Excuse me, I stated the wrong title. Didn't even pay attention to which was which there. My bad.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

NBTF simply got a def win last time - this year will be no different.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

This one was hard. I like them all - even Save Me with when will it eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeend!. White Knuckles got my vote - just a killer crunchy song. Island of Fools is my favorite off of The Last Hero. Fortress obviously features the tremendous alternating solos of Myles and Mark. Walking on The Sky is very distinctive in this group. Couer d'Alene has one of my favorite riffs of all time.
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

I voted for Walking On The Sky. I don't like the other songs very much.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
abw1987 wrote:Makes sense. I'd be curious to see what order you come up with! It already made sense to have "Save Me" as the first ODR b-side option, as it was released well before any others. Some of the international ones might be trickier.
I say he has one of four options. Either do it by O2 Rarities album order, Wikipedia listing order, chronological release order (which would have a tie with two of them), or alphabetically. Most points lead to this order:

13. Breathe
14. Cruel Sun
15. Solace
Upon thinking about it further, my second suggestion would be:

13. Cruel Sun
14. Solace
15. Breathe

That way, whether somebody thinks of "Breathe" to belong to ODR or TLH, that way it is still in the 15th track ranking regardless.

In fact, can you please do it this way? I'm developing a spreadsheet for us to be able to rank tracks and albums by placing, and it will take a lot of reworking if we do anything else but this (sorta).
Last edited by MuffinMcFluffin on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

I'm out. I can't choose on this one.

Edit: OK I'm going with the majority on this one. Fortress is one of their absolute best to me.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Voted White Knuckles because I love that song but I think Fortress deserves this one.

Love Save Me though.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I think to stay true to the spirit of the battle of the track numbers, they should be ordered just as they were ordered on the album, and wherever that causes a conflict, in order of release. So for ODR, it would be Save Me, Breathe, Cruel Son, Solace.

The trickier ones will be Blackbird and AB III, since there were different bonus tracks depending on the region. (E.g., We Don't Care at All and The Damage Done were both track 14 on different releases.) Curious to see what OP is thinking for these!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I'd argue for even greater purity and only have the stuff that made the album. That way the order isn't arbitrary and every track number has a contest, otherwise an ABIII b side is uncontested at track 17 which is kinda silly.
For all of the hope that it brings...

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Fair point!

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Winner: Fortress

... and this result is actually really surprising. Last time, Island of Fools won this battle, with Fortress following very closely behind. This year, Island of Fools only got 2 (!) votes. Probably the biggest difference compared to last iteration so far.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Wow, that's amazing. Shows how much weight the freshness factor can have. No contest this time though!

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Blackbird wrote:Winner: Fortress

... and this result is actually really surprising. Last time, Island of Fools won this battle, with Fortress following very closely behind. This year, Island of Fools only got 2 (!) votes. Probably the biggest difference compared to last iteration so far.
Fortress only had a slight edge over Island of Fools for me.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto