Battle Of The Track Numbers: Track 13

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!

BOTTN: Track 13

Poll ended at Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:04 pm

Breathe
3%
Wayward One
15%
Life Must Go On
15%
Never Say Die/Outright
No votes
The Last Hero
68%
Tear Us Apart
No votes

Total votes: 34

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Battle Of The Track Numbers: Track 13

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

I love the chorus, especially since it has that "Bond" element to it. The rest of the song is great, too. It has that relentlessness since it jumps from the proverbial word "go."

And then I love, love the entire bridge section from the end of the second chorus, onward through the solo.

I just think that it's a great song. I do wish, however, that if listened in sequence with Show Me a Leader -> This Side of Fate -> The Last Hero had a little more connective tissue to it. I get how it plays a bit of plot development and can have thematic ties, but from one to the next doesn't exactly give me a bookend trilogy kind of feel. I guess that's why they have all of the other songs in between in their actual album order, but given what they were going for it would have been cool to really hit that home on that next level.

Regardless, TLH it is, far and away. Wayward One is a great gem on BB, though. Life Must Go On is also just so intricate in its opening guitar riff. I finally figured out what I was hearing when I learned to play the song on guitar, and it took me forever to then discover that it's the same thing that is played to fit the chorus (essentially). It's very neat.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Got busy for a few days and missed voting on this one but it looks like my vote for TLH would only have given it an even stronger lead.

I'm surprised at the variety of opinions in here about TLH! To me it is truly one of AB's next-level epics, and overall it flows great. Sure there are lots of parts pieced together, but together they create an almost symphonic feel.

Shame I can't vote for Wayward here. I think Crumbso summed it up perfectly:
Crumbso wrote:Wayward One - Unsung hero of a song. Haunting verses, beautiful chorus, classically inspired bridge, fantastic solo.
Breathe is also special to me. I'll never forget the feeling I got when I first heard it... 14 years or however long it was since it had actually been recorded. It transported me back in time to the ODR days: Mark's clean tone, Myles's raw voice, and production that breathes. (Funny that the song title perfectly describes its sound.)

The Last Hero
Wayward One
Breathe
Life Must Go On
Tear Us Apart
Never Say Die

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Winner: The Last Hero