Walk The Sky Superlatives!

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Inconquerable
Rise Today

Walk The Sky Superlatives!

Post by Inconquerable »

I had this idea for a thread for a little while, and with the tour now over until May, I thought we could all talk about our favourite parts of Walk the Sky songs since we’ve had a few months to digest it.

Also sign up for Indoctrination Mafia if you want to pass the time playing a game with us in General Discussion!

So I came up with the categories below. Basically you can copy and paste this list and fill in each of the categories and add some comments if you want, like nominating people for superlatives in high school (mine never did that, come on, Canada get with the program). If anyone has ideas for other categories, throw them in!

Code: Select all

1. Best Riff - 
2. Best Verse - 
3. Best Chorus - 
4. Best Bridge - 
5. Best Guitar Solo - 
6. Best Drum Moment - 
7. Best Bass Moment - 
8. Best Vocal Moment - 
9. Song Most Likely To Get Stuck In Your Head - 
10. Best Pre-Release Single - 
11. Best Overall Song - 
12. Song You’re Most Likely To Skip - 
13. Song You Want AB To Play Live the Most - 
14. Song You Would Pick To Play for Someone Not Already A Fan - 
15. Favourite Trio of Songs (all in album order) - 
16. Song You Want To Hear Another Band Cover (and name the band) - 
And go!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Walk The Sky Superlatives!

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

1. Best Riff - Forever Falling Main
2. Best Verse - Dying Light
3. Best Chorus - Walking On The Sky
4. Best Bridge - Walking On The Sky
5. Best Guitar Solo - Dying Light
6. Best Drum Moment - Forever Falling
7. Best Bass Moment - Indoctrination
8. Best Vocal Moment - The Bitter End
9. Song Most Likely To Get Stuck In Your Head - Forever Falling
10. Best Pre-Release Single - Dying Light
11. Best Overall Song - Forever Falling
12. Song You’re Most Likely To Skip - In The Deep
13. Song You Want AB To Play Live the Most - Walking On The Sky
14. Song You Would Pick To Play for Someone Not Already A Fan - Wouldn't You Rather
15. Favourite Trio of Songs (all in album order) - Forever Falling, Clear Horizon, Walking On The Sky,
16. Song You Want To Hear Another Band Cover (and name the band) - Forever Falling (Tremonti)

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

1. Best Riff - Native Son (heavy intro). My favourite riffs are ones that I can say out loud obnoxiously, and this so good, particularly with the high pitched DA-DA-DA! DA! DA!
2. Best Verse - Walking on the Sky. I think this is one of their strongest albums for verses so it was hard to pick, but this one is special to me for the theme as much as how great it sounds, which is really great (best harmony on the album for me as well)
3. Best Chorus - Walking on the Sky. This is easier because it's JUST A BANGER
4. Best Bridge - For the sake of it I'm gonna go leftfield and say In the Deep because I don't wanna pick Walking on the Sky for everything...
5. Best Guitar Solo - ...Yeah it's Walking on the Sky.
6. Best Drum Moment - Native Son intro again. It's literally just hitting a drum a few times very loudly but sometimes that's all you really want in life.
7. Best Bass Moment - The segue into the second Dying Light verse is goooood, and extra nice because I can actually hear it clearly.
8. Best Vocal Moment - All of One Life.
9. Song Most Likely To Get Stuck In Your Head - Godspeed.
10. Best Pre-Release Single - I only listened to Wouldn't You Rather and Take the Crown, and I loooove Take the Crown.
11. Best Overall Song - Walking on the Sky.
12. Song You’re Most Likely To Skip - The Bitter End. Nice, but I can skip it.
13. Song You Want AB To Play Live the Most - THE GOD DAMN TITLE TRACK OF THE ALBUM THEY'RE TOURING
14. Song You Would Pick To Play for Someone Not Already A Fan - I mean if I played them Walking on the Sky and they didn't like it, what is the point of this person, but also Take the Crown because it's just a bunch of fun and you can imagine Mark dancing when he sings "just like we've always done before". Or at least I can, and do.
15. Favourite Trio of Songs (all in album order) - Forever Falling, Clear Horizon, Walking on the Sky
16. Song You Want To Hear Another Band Cover (and name the band) - Indoctrination (Soundgarden :( )
For all of the hope that it brings...

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: RIP Chris & Layne. <3

Post by Inconquerable »

Ubik wrote:16. Song You Want To Hear Another Band Cover (and name the band) - Indoctrination (Soundgarden :( )
This hit me hard. =(

1. Best Riff - Indoctrination's main riff. I'm a big Layne Staley era Alice In Chains fan and this gave me Dirt vibes. I'd love for them to do a few more songs with riffs like this one.
2. Best Verse - Godspeed, I really like the riff playing behind the vocal melody. Really cool mix of sounds on this one.
3. Best Chorus - Walking on the Sky. So much energy in that chorus.
4. Best Bridge - I really like the bridge in The Bitter End. It's nothing overly complicated, but I think it all sounds really good together. The vocal melody in particular stands out to me here.
5. Best Guitar Solo - Walking On the Sky again.
6. Best Drum Moment - Agreeing with Ubik here, the drumming on the Native Son intro once the whole band kicks in is really cool. I also like the drum fills in the pre-choruses on Native Son. This is probably Flip's best song on the album for me.
7. Best Bass Moment - I'm bad at picking out bass a lot of the time, so this is tricky for me. I think I'll pick Pay No Mind, he fills in a quiet moment between the "we pay no mind" part of the chorus and the "when the last man falls" part of the chorus, and I like that a lot.
8. Best Vocal Moment - The Forever Falling chorus stands out here, the harmony with Myles and Mark here is really good, and I love the lyrics here as well. I also really like the vocal melody on the verses of Tear Us Apart. And the vocals on the Walking On the Sky chorus too, but Forever Falling just edges it out (like Ubik, because I don't want to keep picking the same song).
9. Song Most Likely To Get Stuck In Your Head - Going with Indoctrination again, that intro plays on loops in my head a lot.
10. Best Pre-Release Single - This might be surprising, but I'm going with In the Deep here with Dying Light a very close second. I think In the Deep is actually a really good song, and if it hadn't been released before the album, it might get more attention.
11. Best Overall Song - Walking On the Sky, I can't say enough good things about this song.
12. Song You’re Most Likely To Skip - I still don't skip songs (except One Life occasionally, which I really like but sometimes I just want to get right into the full songs), but Take the Crown would probably be the one I'd pick here.
13. Song You Want AB To Play Live the Most - Walking On the Sky.
14. Song You Would Pick To Play for Someone Not Already A Fan - I'm horrible at this, I never pick the right song. Maybe Native Son? I think it's a good pick for heavy music fans.
15. Favourite Trio of Songs (all in album order) - Forever Falling, Clear Horizon, and Walking On the Sky.
16. Song You Want To Hear Another Band Cover (and name the band) - Indoctrination covered by Alice In Chains and/or Soundgarden would be super cool. I'd like to hear Big Wreck get their hands on Dying Light too.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Inconquerable wrote:I had this idea for a thread for a little while, and with the tour now over until May, I thought we could all talk about our favourite parts of Walk the Sky songs since we’ve had a few months to digest it.

Also sign up for Indoctrination Mafia if you want to pass the time playing a game with us in General Discussion!

So I came up with the categories below. Basically you can copy and paste this list and fill in each of the categories and add some comments if you want, like nominating people for superlatives in high school (mine never did that, come on, Canada get with the program). If anyone has ideas for other categories, throw them in!

Code: Select all

1. Best Riff - 
2. Best Verse - 
3. Best Chorus - 
4. Best Bridge - 
5. Best Guitar Solo - 
6. Best Drum Moment - 
7. Best Bass Moment - 
8. Best Vocal Moment - 
9. Song Most Likely To Get Stuck In Your Head - 
10. Best Pre-Release Single - 
11. Best Overall Song -