Underrated Alter Bridge Appreciation Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Underrated Alter Bridge Appreciation Thread

Post by MidnightToker »

Fallout. Would love to hear it live

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Among 30-40 of their other songs...

Post by zazthespaz »

MidnightToker wrote:Fallout. Would love to hear it live
I like how this is such an underrated song that my mind went straight to the MF4 album instead of the song :lol It really is a good one though, would love to hear it live too!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Damn, the vocals on that are just so amazing

Post by gbruin »

zazthespaz wrote:
MidnightToker wrote:Fallout. Would love to hear it live
I like how this is such an underrated song that my mind went straight to the MF4 album instead of the song :lol It really is a good one though, would love to hear it live too!
Same for me. Fallout is my favorite MF4 song. Love the AB song, too.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

Break Me Down

I genuinely thought the dislike for this song was an inside joke or meme amongst Alter Bridge fans when I first found out about it. I've seen a lot of people usually listing it as their least favorite Alter Bridge song and it utterly baffles me. I think all of Blackbird is perfect but I just can't comprehend how Break Me Down is dismissed as generic when Rise Today, Buried Alive and One by One aren't much different structurally. I always loved the lyrics to this song too. Very empowering during training for PD.

Its not so much underrated but I always thought New Way to Live would have been a better closer to Blackbird than Wayward One. Brand New Start, Blackbird (song) and New Way to Live all have themes of change and turning a new leaf. It always felt like an unofficial trilogy to me. Alter Bridge's equivalent to Don't Cry, November Rain and Estranged.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Devil Inside You wrote:Break Me Down

I genuinely thought the dislike for this song was an inside joke or meme amongst Alter Bridge fans when I first found out about it. I've seen a lot of people usually listing it as their least favorite Alter Bridge song and it utterly baffles me. I think all of Blackbird is perfect but I just can't comprehend how Break Me Down is dismissed as generic when Rise Today, Buried Alive and One by One aren't much different structurally. I always loved the lyrics to this song too. Very empowering during training for PD.

Its not so much underrated but I always thought New Way to Live would have been a better closer to Blackbird than Wayward One. Brand New Start, Blackbird (song) and New Way to Live all have themes of change and turning a new leaf. It always felt like an unofficial trilogy to me. Alter Bridge's equivalent to Don't Cry, November Rain and Estranged.
To be fair most fans also find Rise Today and One By One pretty generic lol (I personally like Buried Alive a lot but it’s heavier and has a nice solo).

Break Me Down probably doesn’t warrant being “the bad song on Blackbird.” But I would group it in the bottom songs of the album, along with One By One and Rise Today actually.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

mtshaw3
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mtshaw3 »

New Way to Live has been a favorite of mine since its release and I wish it was more respected as an all-timer. I know it's a B-Side, but it shouldn't have been and it should be a staple in the live shows.

I've been an AB fan since the beginning, so I feel most of the underrated stuff is the older stuff... Down to My Last and Shed My Skin are 2 more that just didn't get the rotation and play in live shows after BB and AB3 were out. It's a shame too, because both of those songs are amazing in my book and always seem to hold up well when people are choosing their favorites off of each album.
Huge thanks to Andy! Love my new sig!

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: knowing me I’m probably hearing a word wrong

Post by zazthespaz »

mtshaw3 wrote:New Way to Live has been a favorite of mine since its release and I wish it was more respected as an all-timer. I know it's a B-Side, but it shouldn't have been and it should be a staple in the live shows.

I've been an AB fan since the beginning, so I feel most of the underrated stuff is the older stuff... Down to My Last and Shed My Skin are 2 more that just didn't get the rotation and play in live shows after BB and AB3 were out. It's a shame too, because both of those songs are amazing in my book and always seem to hold up well when people are choosing their favorites off of each album.
All of this. NWTL gets stuck in my head from time to time. I love the line “Will you ever survive all the monsters of the mind where all is wrong?”
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Lover.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

How The Damage Done doesn't get more attention is beyond me. In fact, all the Blackbird B-sides could happily take the place of other songs on the album.

Mainstream underrated AB tracks though? The Writing on the Wall gets unfairly slated I think. It's a banger. Cry a River is better than moist wood have you believe as well, it just needs a few plays to reveal itself.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Crumbso wrote:How The Damage Done doesn't get more attention is beyond me. In fact, all the Blackbird B-sides could happily take the place of other songs on the album.

Mainstream underrated AB tracks though? The Writing on the Wall gets unfairly slated I think. It's a banger. Cry a River is better than moist wood have you believe as well, it just needs a few plays to reveal itself.
Oi oi.
For all of the hope that it brings...

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Crumbso wrote:How The Damage Done doesn't get more attention is beyond me. In fact, all the Blackbird B-sides could happily take the place of other songs on the album.
They were on fire during those Blackbird sessions and just had too much good material. It's a nice problem to have if you're a professional musician!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Ubik wrote:

Oi oi.
:lol Even my autocorrect gets a bit excited about AB.

Whelp. I can't change that now! It's been quoted Haha.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Hey, Denise...

Post by gbruin »

Crumbso wrote:
Ubik wrote:

Oi oi.
:lol Even my autocorrect gets a bit excited about AB.

Whelp. I can't change that now! It's been quoted Haha.
I wondered if that was maybe a a voice-to-text thing. It's a great tool and it also makes for some magnificent errors. :lol

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

To be fair, most things are better than moist wood.... especially underrated AB songs.

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

I'm going to use this link to name the most underappreciated ones because it's the most accurate list of songs played live...

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/alter-bridge-53d687cd.html

One Day Remains

"The End Is Here" only because it hasn't been part of their rotation in a long time. Was a massive tune off Live at the Royal Albert Hall, which I'll admit made me a first-time fan of this song. It's been played 84 times and comes in ranked as their 28th most played song.

"Watch Your Words" It's not really a fav of mine any longer, but it was def a regular part of my AB rotation 10+ years ago. It's been played 64 times and comes in ranked as their 36th most played song.

Blackbird

"Coming Home" Awesome song. It's been played 55 times and comes in ranked as their 37th most played song.

"The Damage Done" has to take the cake here. IMO, their very best B-side. It's never been played.

ABIII - One of my Top 2 fav AB albums. I think this has so far been the album with the most collective underappreciated ones. Sooooo many here.

"Still Remains" Powerful song. Easily one of my Top 10 fav AB cuts. It's been played 34 times and comes in ranked as their 43rd most played song.

"Make It Right" Right on the heels of "Still Remains," another incredible cut. Only been played ONCE! "Shame of it all"... appropriate words there.

"Show Me A Sign" Awesome dark song. First time I heard the album, this one stood out as a Top 3. As others have noted, an underappreciated one. Only been played TWICE!

"Fallout" Someone mentioned this one too. Has NEVER been played! Unbelievable.

"Coeur d' Alene" Another mentioned one. Awesome song about a lake Myles visits. It's been played 27 times and comes in ranked as their 46th most played song.

"Home" OP brought this up. Very good B-side.

"Never Born To Follow" Love this B-side too. Super catchy chorus.

Fortress

"Calm The Fire" First time I heard the album, this one stood out as a Top 3. Still does. IMO, it should be a staple at every concert. It's been played 18 times and comes in ranked as their 53rd most played song.

"Fortress" Phenomenal song. Best version was off Live at the Royal Albert Hall. It's been played 33 times and comes in ranked as their 44th most played song.

The Last Hero - My fav AB album. The most underappreciated AB album. Gets wayyyyy too much undeserved heat. Yes there are a few slightly similar sounding songs. Yes the CD sound is brickwalled. Get it on vinyl. SOOOO much better. It sounds so much better on vinyl, I just purchased the other 4 albums on vinyl & The Live At The O2 Arena + Rarities for the B-Sides. Thank you dear Lord Jesus this was the album they performed at the Royal Albert Hall. They absolutely freaking nailed it.

"The Writing On The Wall" Others have mentioned this one. I cannot stress how awesome this song is. It's been played 83 times and comes in ranked as their 29th most played song.

"Poison In Your Veins" Another mentioned one. Great catchy chorus. It's been played 8 times and comes in ranked as their 63rd most played song.

"Losing Patience" Don't get the flack over this one. Another awesome catchy chorus with Tremonti's outstanding backup vocals. Criminally underrated. Only thing it's missing is a solo (which became common practice on Walk The Sky). Has NEVER been played!

"Crows On A Wire" This song just drips with heavy metal. Verse, Bridge, Chorus, Solo. It's perfect in every single facet. It's been played 83 times and comes in ranked as their 29th most played song. This live version FREAKING rules! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgpfYMo9WUw

"Twilight" Super underrated cut. Outstanding chorus and solo. Has NEVER been played!

"Island Of Fools" One of my favs on my first listen. Should have made the Royal Albert Hall setlist. Would have sounded even better with an orchestra. It's been played 27 times and comes in ranked as their 46th most played song.

"The Last Hero" What else can be said about the title track? Start to finish an epic song. Tremonti crunches Metallica-ish at the end of the solo. Great selection on the Royal Albert Hall. It's been played 17 times and comes in ranked as their 55th most played song.

"Symphony Of Agony (The Last of Our Kind)" Very good B-Side headbanger. Has a "Still Remains" rhythm guitar feel to it.

Walk The Sky

"Native Son" One of my Top 2 WTS cuts. This one may not be underappreciated anymore. But it def was when the album hit. It had to grow for some. When I saw AB on their first U.S. leg in October 2019, they had not played it once yet. By the time I saw them on their 2nd leg, it had been played 25 times in just 4 months time! It's been played 30 times and comes in ranked as their 45th most played song.

"The Bitter End" Almost left it off the list, but someone mentioned it. Kind of a guilty pleasure as it's got the feel of a power ballad. Not surprised it hasn't been played. But not a bad song.

"Clear Horizon" Fav song on the first listen of the album. Still is. Has NEVER been played!

"Walking On The Sky" This one sneaks up on you like a nightstalker. Lullaby beginning, then the hunt, the kill and finally an all-out assault.
Last edited by rscotta831 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

rscotta831 wrote: "Calm The Fire" First time I heard the album, this one stood out as a Top 3. Still does. IMO, it should be a staple at every concert. It's been played 18 times and comes in ranked as their 53rd most played song.
I'm convinced this should have been the album opener and if that was the case it would be played far more than Cry Of Achilles

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

The Dissident wrote:
rscotta831 wrote: "Calm The Fire" First time I heard the album, this one stood out as a Top 3. Still does. IMO, it should be a staple at every concert. It's been played 18 times and comes in ranked as their 53rd most played song.
I'm convinced this should have been the album opener and if that was the case it would be played far more than Cry Of Achilles
Very good point. It would no doubt be a staple if it had been Track 1. I was disappointed it wasn't a Royal Albert Hall track. Perfect opportunity to vault it into AB legendary status. The song is perfectly ripe for it.

It's difficult to imagine at Track 7/8 that Cry Of Achilles would get buried like Calm The Fire did. No way it would have had the same effect as being Track 1, but I do believe over a very short period of time, it would have surfaced as a staple as many of AB's has at Track 7/8 (Blackbird & Waters Rising).

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I'm happy with Fortress the way it is, the one I think could really benefit from a rejigging is The Last Hero. Show Me a Leader is a decent opener and I've always loved Writing on the Wall, but that's not an opinion shared by all. Whereas, Island of Fools is a straight up monster. Should've been the lead single and track 2 - willing to die on a hill for this. The band for some reason have never realised its greatness.
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

You're lucky he even posted for you bastards...LEAVE UBIK ALONE!

Post by gbruin »

Ubik wrote:I'm happy with Fortress the way it is, the one I think could really benefit from a rejigging is The Last Hero. Show Me a Leader is a decent opener and I've always loved Writing on the Wall, but that's not an opinion shared by all. Whereas, Island of Fools is a straight up monster. Should've been the lead single and track 2 - willing to die on a hill for this. The band for some reason have never realised its greatness.
100% agree on Island of Fools in that #2 (Come To Life, Isolation, Addicted To Pain) spot on the album.

I will defend that hill for you.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Re: You're lucky he even posted for you bastards...LEAVE UBIK ALONE!

Post by AB4Lyfe »

gbruin wrote:
Ubik wrote:I'm happy with Fortress the way it is, the one I think could really benefit from a rejigging is The Last Hero. Show Me a Leader is a decent opener and I've always loved Writing on the Wall, but that's not an opinion shared by all. Whereas, Island of Fools is a straight up monster. Should've been the lead single and track 2 - willing to die on a hill for this. The band for some reason have never realised its greatness.
100% agree on Island of Fools in that #2 (Come To Life, Isolation, Addicted To Pain) spot on the album.

I will defend that hill for you.
If I remember correctly, I think one of the band members said something about that song either being a pain to play, or they just didn’t like the way it was written. Can anyone remember that or find a source? Can’t remember off the top of my head.

That being said, I agree. Better single choice than SMAL, the guitar work is great!