Underrated Alter Bridge Appreciation Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Inconquerable
Rise Today

Underrated Alter Bridge Appreciation Thread

Post by Inconquerable »

I've been thinking about this for probably the last couple of weeks, particularly when it comes to Home from AB III. Alter Bridge has a lot of big, obvious fan favourite songs, but they also have a lot of other songs that A) don't get played live, and B) don't get discussed as often as perhaps they should. So this is a thread to give appreciation to the more underrated Alter Bridge songs.

Like I said I've really found myself digging Home the last few weeks. It's in a tough position on the album, especially if you listen to all 17 songs all the way through. It doesn't have the big long notes like Breathe Again, Words Darker Than Their Wings, and Never Born To Follow, and it doesn't pack the metal punch that Isolation does. Having said that though, I think it's a really great song, especially considering it's the shortest song to come out of the AB III sessions. The vocals and melodies are great, it has a cool dark tone to it, and it has a really tasty guitar solo at the end.

What are you favourite underrated Alter Bridge songs?

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Underrated Alter Bridge Appreciation Thread

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Apparently no one here likes The Uninvited, so I'm going to give that one some love right now.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Apparently no one here likes The Uninvited, so I'm going to give that one some love right now.
I do! :headbang :mtrocks :mkrules Great song in every aspect of it! :cloud9

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Apparently no one here likes The Uninvited, so I'm going to give that one some love right now.
I came across a lot of people who liked The Univited around the times of the release of Fortress. I quite enjoy it as well, but I wish they'd gone with this Toolish groove a little bit further.

Show Me a Sign gets a lot of backlash here, but I love that tune.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I think Writing on the Wall deserves waaaaay more love. Particularly compared to Crows on a Wire, which I can really take or leave. It just has such a great groove to it.

If we're talking b sides as well - Outright is in my top half of AB songs easily.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

I agree that Show me a Sign, The Uninvited and Writing on the Wall are quite underrated, I love them all. I would add Wayward One.

Honestly... most of their songs are underrated.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: Break the cycle, Gus!

Post by Inconquerable »

I loved The Uninvited as soon as I heard it, I remember posting here thinking that it would be a sleeper favourite for the fans and that once all of the hype died down, people would realize how great it is. Also Wayward One is severely underrated, probably my second favourite song from Blackbird.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I feel like it’s hard to pick an underrated song on this site because there’s a pocket of people that like about any given song here lol, but if you aren’t talking with die hard fans I would consider Life Must Go On as an underrated song that I love. It doesn’t get played live when I thought it would have been really good in the acoustic part of the show.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Life Must Go On and I actually like Losing Patience.
Thanks Andy!

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: I continued the circle, Gladys!

Post by zazthespaz »

I heard a leak of The Uninvited before the album was released and I think because of that, it's always been a favorite of mine.

I don't feel like Poison In Your Veins gets enough attention. I might be wrong but I could stand to see that at more shows.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

From Each album:
ODR: Down To My Last
BB: Um this album I find gets the praise where deserved for most songs. Huge hits but the rest don't wow me despite being super consistent
AB III: Life Must Go On
Fortress: All Ends Well
TLH: Poison In Your Veins and You Will Be Remembered
WTS: The Bitter End

I'm a sucker for power ballads so these choices don't surprise me.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

For all the songs that get grief, I really like Coming Home.

Shed My Skin is probably a top 5 AB song for me.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

I've always liked Show Me A Sign. It took me a long time to appreciate Still Remains! That song has one of the nastiest riffs Mark has ever written.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

gbruin wrote:For all the songs that get grief, I really like Coming Home.

Shed My Skin is probably a top 5 AB song for me.
God, I love Coming Home so much

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Couer d' line and the damage done are two of my favorite AB songs and are also b-side if I'm correct.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

nagpo wrote:Couer d' line and the damage done are two of my favorite AB songs and are also b-side if I'm correct.
Coeur D'Alene is not a b-side, but yeah, this song kicks ass.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

One Day Remains is a huge favorite of mine, and it’s honestly pretty unique compared to everything else. The pure energy from the first note to the very end is amazing. Some others I think are under appreciated are Buried Alive, All Ends Well, and My Champion.

I was actually down on MC when it was first released, but it’s grown on me massively lately, and has a top tier solo.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Arctic wrote:One Day Remains is a huge favorite of mine, and it’s honestly pretty unique compared to everything else. The pure energy from the first note to the very end is amazing. Some others I think are under appreciated are Buried Alive, All Ends Well, and My Champion.

I was actually down on MC when it was first released, but it’s grown on me massively lately, and has a top tier solo.
I want to like My Champion more than I do, but it gets lost in the mixing/arrangement. The chorus isn't really any louder (in an anthemic sense) than that of its verses, and Myles gets two whole lines in the song where he's not harmonizing with himself. Not to mention the hot, harsh mix of everything.

Basically, if it was a song on ODR, it would have sounded absolutely lovely in comparison. Lessen the instrumentation on the verses, let Myles sing by himself (and only one of himself) for most of it, if not all of it... and I think you have a lovely inclusion as it deserved to be, albeit a bit corny lyrically.

I made my cases for Buried Alive and All Ends Well in the Battle of the Tracks threads or whatever it was called, but those are very high on my lists. One thing I said about Buried Alive is I made a custom chart for it on Guitar Hero, and it combines as probably one of the more fun AB songs you could play on that thing.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

ODR is probably still my #1 all-time AB song

Post by gbruin »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Arctic wrote:One Day Remains is a huge favorite of mine, and it’s honestly pretty unique compared to everything else. The pure energy from the first note to the very end is amazing. Some others I think are under appreciated are Buried Alive, All Ends Well, and My Champion.

I want to like My Champion more than I do, but it gets lost in the mixing/arrangement. The chorus isn't really any louder (in an anthemic sense) than that of its verses, and Myles gets two whole lines in the song where he's not harmonizing with himself. Not to mention the hot, harsh mix of everything.

Basically, if it was a song on ODR, it would have sounded absolutely lovely in comparison. Lessen the instrumentation on the verses, let Myles sing by himself (and only one of himself) for most of it, if not all of it... and I think you have a lovely inclusion as it deserved to be, albeit a bit corny lyrically.
^^ This

There are a lot of recent AB songs that I would looooooooove to hear in a more stripped down ODR-style mix. These guys are such incredible musicians. Don't bury them in layers.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

gbruin wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:

^^ This

There are a lot of recent AB songs that I would looooooooove to hear in a more stripped down ODR-style mix. These guys are such incredible musicians. Don't bury them in layers.
I agree, and with Brian's bass more highlighted!
I don't know if it's just my ears, but I think that in all studio albums, most of the time, his bass is low/buried in the mix, which is a shame.