Walk The Sky 2.0

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
gbruin
MEGLADONG

And regressive fits America so well these days

Post by gbruin »

New Alter Bridge is always welcome. I like the return to a heavier grittier sound, though maybe just because it's something different and not necessarily that it's inherently preferred.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

nagpo
On The Rail

Re: Walk The Sky 2.0

Post by nagpo »

okay just listened to it twice. I liked the music but in no way should this be monikered as "walk the sky 2.0". It doesn't sound anything like the songs on walk the sky. There was no synth. This is not in any way a continuation of that albums spirit, I think that's fair to say. But I liked the guitars, the riff.

However, everything else I either disliked or couldn't care which way or the other about it. I think Myles has kind of hit a wall lyrically. He is lyrically a parody of himself at this point. How many times is he going to write on a wall? How many times are we going to get vague political commentary? By the way, if you're going to do that kind of lyrical content just go all out and be brazen with it otherwise the lyrics just don't make sense. The vocal melody was just okay at best, the pre chorus parts were awful however. And so was the bridge.

I wouldn't say this is another feather in the cap for the AB crew, like their last record was. This belongs on TLH, which also has most of their poorer songs on it. I kind of question AB's identity as a band sometimes. They change with every record but never was it, for me, that the quality of the music got worse up until TLH. and then WTS came out and it was awesome and now THIS is kind of a regression back to TLH levels of crap. As a fan of most of their catalogue, I would rather have them not have released this song. I don't see how it helps their legacy. Why scrap together something to attach to a EP live record if it's not going to be good. I don't see how anyone with their experience could listen to this and think this is up there with blackbird, crows on a wire, words darker than their wings, etc. Even their other b-sides are better. It's a forgettable song, I don't even want to download it, nonetheless buy it. Cruel Sun is better than this. I'm sure I'll get 10 replies on how im wrong but whatever. I think Mark should write the lyrics from now on. His lyrics and melody's on his las solo record was better than this.

6/10. It got the six for the good guitars. The songs didn't even give brian or flip time to shine

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Yeah, I didn't like it either. There is literally nothing about it that stands out, and even the guitars that people on here are positive about are incredibly stock. Once again they are trying this edgy, bluesy, heavy vibe that WTS is full of and that's something that other bands like Black Stone Cherry or Shinedown seem to be doing nowadays - why should AB be going this way as well. A song of this quality should not be a 'single', it's on par with the of likes Break Me Down, Twilight or Watch Your Words.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

This isn't an Alter Bridge song.
This is a Tremonti instrumental with Conspirators vocals.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

chtimixeur wrote:This isn't an Alter Bridge song.
Kinda agree.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Sugar Blade
Bought The CDs

Post by Sugar Blade »

Sounds like some wrestler's/wrestling PPV theme to me. The only cool part is that sinister descending vocals.

I feel at this point that their modern rock/post-grunge roots is holding them back a lot.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Man you're all a bunch of whiners.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Kreuger wrote:Man you're all a bunch of whiners.
I'm glad you like it. I wish I could enjoy everything my favourite artists put on. But at least let me have my own say.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Dolo wrote:
Kreuger wrote:Man you're all a bunch of whiners.
I'm glad you like it. I wish I could enjoy everything my favourite artists put on. But at least let me have my own say.
:cheers

mirko.volpon
Bought The CDs

Post by mirko.volpon »

There is a pic of back cover ep ?

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

I'm enjoying this new Alice in Chains song featuring Myles Kennedy.

Well... It's a cool, simple song but nothing memorable (it doesn't have to be). At least, it sounds better than WTS and TLH but still overproduced a bit.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

chtimixeur wrote:This isn't an Alter Bridge song.
sorry to say that you nailed it

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

No, nowhere near ADM-song quality
Decent song though, nothing special

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

On repeated listens I still think it's pretty good.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Crumbso wrote:On repeated listens I still think it's pretty good.
Yup. Went in expecting a nice b-side, that's what I got.
For all of the hope that it brings...

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

New song sucks. Why release a “new” song that sucks?

What happened to the Alter Bridge that made ODR, blackbird, and ABIII?

I like less than most of Alter Bridge post those albums. Don’t know what they did with their sound or why they felt the need to get all progressive but I am not a fan at all. Sorry.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

austin. wrote:New song sucks. Why release a “new” song that sucks?

What happened to the Alter Bridge that made ODR, blackbird, and ABIII?

I like less than most of Alter Bridge post those albums. Don’t know what they did with their sound or why they felt the need to get all progressive but I am not a fan at all. Sorry.
What do you mean by progressive? Do you mean myles' lyrics politically or something like prog-rock?

In regards to their sound changing, i guess both myles and tremonti have wanted to change their sound with every album. I agree with you mostly. musically, after fortress they've been hit or miss in my opinion. i think a lot of it is that they spread themselves thin with various projects and they also dont write songs together. "hey bro imma email you my riffs".

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I think AB changed their sound because I think they feel like they could be more than just a band that's in the graveyard of bands that gets plays only on Sirius XM Turbo. They are also talented enough to comfortably shift gears and not feel out of place when that 00s Post-Grunge sound was becoming outdated. Seriously, I always question how AB has survived to be where they are now compared to other bands like Saliva, Default, 12 Stones, Drowning Pool, etc. where no one really knows or really cares of what's happening to them nowadays

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

austin. wrote:Sorry.
Apology accepted.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I have a question for you guys about Myles' vocal style that song. On some words, he either has a nasal voice (e.g. "nothing" at 3:55), and on some other ones, he pronounces words in a weird way ("us all" at 0:32, "now" at 1:39). Do you enjoy when he sings like that? To me, that's pretty offputting, and if I recall correctly, he usually uses that vocal style on Slash albums, not on AB's.
Silvercreed wrote:At least, it sounds better than WTS and TLH.
I respectfully disagree. For me, it sounds just as bad as TLH, WTS and the Tremonti records.
The echo on vocals, the lack of bass, the bad guitar tone, the insane compression... :slam
Also, I can't exactly explain what it is exactly, but I feel some frequencies are missing. Don't ask me if it's high/medium/low frequencies, but I can feel something's lacking in their sound.

Out of the top tier bands I know, Alter Bridge is by far the one with the worst sounding records. I don't know why they do that to themselves, again and again. I understand that they don't want to sound like Creed, but that doesn't mean your music has to sound terrible. There are plenty of talented producers out there that would bring some new life to their music.
austin. wrote:New song sucks.
I also disagree with that statement.
Alter Bridge's music is sometimes underwhelming for fans, but aside from Godspeed, I can't think of a song that genuinely sucks. Some are better than others, but I think I can enjoy all of them. I even started liking Break Me Down and We Don't Care at All recently. :eek