Unpopular Opinions - Alter Bridge Edition

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Dan Dando
On The Rail

Re: Unpopular Opinions - Alter Bridge Edition

Post by Dan Dando »

Timotheus wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:25 pm
Dan Dando wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:00 pm
TenaciousBe wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:35 pm So apparently this is an unpopular opinion, but I thought Walk The Sky was an incredible album (as was The Last Hero), and there's nothing "filler" or "just okay" about either of those albums. I can't think of a single song I skip on either album.

Also unpopular - I'd love to see them get more political like they did with TLH. Go deep down the rabbit hole. Really go after the anti-vaxxers the way they did with climate change deniers on Writing on the Wall.
Nah, art shouldn't be about going after people.
Art should go after people if the person who's making the art feels personally obligated to do. That's literally what art is for. Expression.
Fair enough. Maybe I should have said something like... artists should be careful about going after ordinary human beings, especially when it concerns divisive subject matter.

For example, going after those who abuse children (The Unholy, SMKC) is very different to going after people who make different medical decisions.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Tremontis last album was the worst one he has done. None of the songs connect with me. It really feels like another run of the mill hard rock band. I expected them to continue in the way of ADM, being more progressive.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Dan Dando wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:47 pm
TenaciousBe wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:35 pm So apparently this is an unpopular opinion, but I thought Walk The Sky was an incredible album (as was The Last Hero), and there's nothing "filler" or "just okay" about either of those albums. I can't think of a single song I skip on either album.

Also unpopular - I'd love to see them get more political like they did with TLH. Go deep down the rabbit hole. Really go after the anti-vaxxers the way they did with climate change deniers on Writing on the Wall.
Art should go after people if the person who's making the art feels personally obligated to do. That's literally what art is for. Expression.
Fair enough. Maybe I should have said something like... artists should be careful about going after ordinary human beings, especially when it concerns divisive subject matter.

For example, going after those who abuse children (The Unholy, SMKC) is very different to going after people who make different medical decisions.
Facts.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

What about not-so-ordinary people who ignore science because it appeals to people they want a vote from?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

:yeahthat
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Timotheus wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:35 pm

What about not-so-ordinary people who ignore science because it appeals to people they want a vote from?
You'll have to be more specific, Timo.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

gbruin wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:07 pm

:yeahthat
Also yes. Alter Bridge (or any other band) doesn't owe it to their fans to be neutral on controversial topics lest they alienate some of their fanbase. Their songs are their place to express themselves, and if they feel so moved to push scientific findings (in the way they did with the aforementioned Wall) on other topics in other songs, that's their prerogative and they should do it. Now, I haven't actually heard any of the band members address the vaccination topic (for Covid or otherwise) directly, but given their support for the science behind climate change, and the overall lyrical tone of TLH, I have to figure they'd be behind the science on vaccines as well.

Now, if they don't feel so compelled to address it in song, that's their prerogative as well. But if they do, I'd like to see them do it and not shy away from it just to avoid upsetting some of their fans. I want to see them speak their mind and use their platform to do good.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Kreuger wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:39 am Tremontis last album was the worst one he has done. None of the songs connect with me. It really feels like another run of the mill hard rock band. I expected them to continue in the way of ADM, being more progressive.
I don't know if I'd say it's the worst, but I will say I expected more. It's a great album, on par with Cauterize/Dust, but I thought ADM was a huge step forward in terms of storytelling, musicianship, etc. MIT has some fantastic songs, but it feels like more of a "standard" Tremonti album, and I'd like to see continued growth and experimentation.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

TheLastHero
Bought The CDs

Post by TheLastHero »

There's a ton of people who wrote Google reviews for Walk The Sky and said that it was their best album yet.

Sorry but I just can't get behind this. It is definitely not their best.

Miro
Brand New Start

Post by Miro »

I don't know, but right now i feel like WTS is their best work for me so far, in terms of amount of songs that i really dig - even though i don't like Pay No Mind, which is one of their worst songs ever - there's awesome songs like beautifully rousing Godspeed, on AB unusual heavy piece Indoctrination, touching Falling Forever, orientally-scented Native Son, atmospheric Walking on the Sky, gorgeus Tear Us Apart,... almost no complains from my side :)

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

Miro wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:30 pm I don't know, but right now i feel like WTS is their best work for me so far, in terms of amount of songs that i really dig - even though i don't like Pay No Mind, which is one of their worst songs ever - there's awesome songs like beautifully rousing Godspeed, on AB unusual heavy piece Indoctrination, touching Falling Forever, orientally-scented Native Son, atmospheric Walking on the Sky, gorgeus Tear Us Apart,... almost no complains from my side :)
I personally agree with this. I think the album is magic from start to finish. Maybe it's because it came out during a critical time in my life but the whole album is really special to me.

Now for my opinion - Slash is draining Myles of his creativity and I want Myles to quit SMKC. The last three albums have been identical.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Merinda wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:57 am
Miro wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:30 pm I don't know, but right now i feel like WTS is their best work for me so far, in terms of amount of songs that i really dig - even though i don't like Pay No Mind, which is one of their worst songs ever - there's awesome songs like beautifully rousing Godspeed, on AB unusual heavy piece Indoctrination, touching Falling Forever, orientally-scented Native Son, atmospheric Walking on the Sky, gorgeus Tear Us Apart,... almost no complains from my side :)
I personally agree with this. I think the album is magic from start to finish. Maybe it's because it came out during a critical time in my life but the whole album is really special to me.

Now for my opinion - Slash is draining Myles of his creativity and I want Myles to quit SMKC. The last three albums have been identical.
This is the kind of hot take I was looking for. I think I agree. Things have grown a bit stale with Slash's output.

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

Crumbso wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:48 am

This is the kind of hot take I was looking for. I think I agree. Things have grown a bit stale with Slash's output.
I think so, it's really generic, basic rock and it's just not Myles. It doesn't feel as though it's from the heart like his solo stuff and AB tunes. It's bland. The first two were pretty good, as were Starlight and Back From Cali but at this point it's just the same exact formula over and over again.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Merinda wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:15 am
Crumbso wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:48 am

I think so, it's really generic, basic rock and it's just not Myles. It doesn't feel as though it's from the heart like his solo stuff and AB tunes. It's bland. The first two were pretty good, as were Starlight and Back From Cali but at this point it's just the same exact formula over and over again.
I loved seeing Slash and Myles when they were doing some back catalogue and GnR stuff. They're a great live band but they don't really have writing synergy that pops. Slash's best album post-GnR was that self-titled album, it had great variety and an awesome concept.

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

Crumbso wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:43 am I loved seeing Slash and Myles when they were doing some back catalogue and GnR stuff. They're a great live band but they don't really have writing synergy that pops. Slash's best album post-GnR was that self-titled album, it had great variety and an awesome concept.
I agree! The Slash album was excellent, the range of music was wider and the different vocalists made it so great. The little taste we had of Myles on there was all I needed honestly.

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

Contrary to this board’s opinion:

Losing Patience is a great song.

The Last Hero is their 2nd best album.

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

TenaciousBe wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:27 pm
Kreuger wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:39 am Tremontis last album was the worst one he has done. None of the songs connect with me. It really feels like another run of the mill hard rock band. I expected them to continue in the way of ADM, being more progressive.
I don't know if I'd say it's the worst, but I will say I expected more. It's a great album, on par with Cauterize/Dust, but I thought ADM was a huge step forward in terms of storytelling, musicianship, etc. MIT has some fantastic songs, but it feels like more of a "standard" Tremonti album, and I'd like to see continued growth and experimentation.
Disagreed with both of you. Next to Dust, MIT is his 2nd best album, esp with the two bonus tracks.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Crumbso wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:43 amThey're a great live band but they don't really have writing synergy that pops. Slash's best album post-GnR was that self-titled album, it had great variety and an awesome concept.
Agreed.
But I don't think they're ever gonna stop touring together. The Conspirators are more than likely here to stay.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

rscotta831 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:43 am Contrary to this board’s opinion:

Losing Patience is a great song.

The Last Hero is their 2nd best album.
Not contrary to this board member's opinion. ;)
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Yay!! A post from Min!! My highly popular opinion is that we need her back on the boards full time.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die