Unpopular Opinions - Alter Bridge Edition

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Unpopular Opinions - Alter Bridge Edition

Post by VigilantSteve »

I would definitely put WDCAA at very near the bottom of my list of AB songs.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

It's weird how Blackbird's b-sides are so different:
New Way to Live - a god-tier song in my book
The Damage Done - a cool song with a badass harmonized guitar solo
We Don't Care at All - pretty much at the bottom of my list of AB songs too
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Dolo wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:52 am It's weird how Blackbird's b-sides are so different:
New Way to Live - a god-tier song in my book
The Damage Done - a cool song with a badass harmonized guitar solo
We Don't Care at All - pretty much at the bottom of my list of AB songs too
Definitely agree with this 100%. It's a crime that New Way to Live is relegated to a B-Side.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

It's like I don't even know you people. Crikey.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

Not really sure if this is unpopular, but I really really enjoy Brian’s and Scott’s interviews.

iAmDavis
Brand New Start

Post by iAmDavis »

Mine is that My Champion is their corniest and one of their worst songs. I just cannot listen to it. Insta-skip.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

iAmDavis wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:02 pm Mine is that My Champion is their corniest and one of their worst songs. I just cannot listen to it. Insta-skip.
:yeahthat

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

iAmDavis wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:02 pm Mine is that My Champion is their corniest and one of their worst songs. I just cannot listen to it. Insta-skip.
I usually dislike AB's songs like this but something about My Champion is great. The chord sequences during the solo section are great.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

Here's my knee-jerk reaction of the year. Sin After Sin may go down as my least favorite AB song ever. Even topping You Will Be Remembered. Regardless I've still pre-ordered the album and will be seeing the band live in February. Hoping that there are some mind and mood changing songs left on P&K.
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Schulzy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:29 am Here's my knee-jerk reaction of the year. Sin After Sin may go down as my least favorite AB song ever. Even topping You Will Be Remembered. Regardless I've still pre-ordered the album and will be seeing the band live in February. Hoping that there are some mind and mood changing songs left on P&K.
You're not alone.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Crumbso wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:09 pm
I usually dislike AB's songs like this but something about My Champion is great. The chord sequences during the solo section are great.
You know, the first time I heard My Champion, my jaw dropped. How could my favorite band write something so corny and lame? But the longer it was around, the more it grew on me. And one day, bam, it just clicked, and now it's one of my favorite songs they've ever done. Like a modern-day Don't Stop Believin'.

My advice is to just power through, don't insta-skip, just give it a shot and see what happens. :)
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

TenaciousBe wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:28 pm
You know, the first time I heard My Champion, my jaw dropped. How could my favorite band write something so corny and lame? But the longer it was around, the more it grew on me. And one day, bam, it just clicked, and now it's one of my favorite songs they've ever done. Like a modern-day Don't Stop Believin'.

My advice is to just power through, don't insta-skip, just give it a shot and see what happens. :)
That almost exactly describes my own experience. :lol

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

TenaciousBe wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:28 pm

I don't want to defend the song, but are the lyrics of "All Ends Well" any less corny? This song kinda invented the cheesy-happy-Myles song category imo. All Ends Well, My Champion, Tear Us Apart. I hope this list will not be continued on the new album.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Mr. Slash wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:36 pm I don't want to defend the song, but are the lyrics of "All Ends Well" any less corny? This song kinda invented the cheesy-happy-Myles song category imo. All Ends Well, My Champion, Tear Us Apart. I hope this list will not be continued on the new album.
Absolutely. Kinda shows you that the corniness progressed on the later albums as we didn't experience that degree of cringe in 2004-2010.

As for the unpopular opinions: the fact that people went nuts when Silver Tongue got released and that the same people talked shit about Pawns & Kings and Sin After Sin reveals that the average AB fan is happy with the most watered down, catchy, alternative metal, radio friendly sound and is not really open-minded when AB is trying out something else, trying not to write the same record over and over again. Kinda sad, but to be expected tbh.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Dolo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:03 pm
Mr. Slash wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:36 pm I don't want to defend the song, but are the lyrics of "All Ends Well" any less corny? This song kinda invented the cheesy-happy-Myles song category imo. All Ends Well, My Champion, Tear Us Apart. I hope this list will not be continued on the new album.
Absolutely. Kinda shows you that the corniness progressed on the later albums as we didn't experience that degree of cringe in 2004-2010.

As for the unpopular opinions: the fact that people went nuts when Silver Tongue got released and that the same people talked shit about Pawns & Kings and Sin After Sin reveals that the average AB fan is happy with the most watered down, catchy, alternative metal, radio friendly sound and is not really open-minded when AB is trying out something else, trying not to write the same record over and over again. Kinda sad, but to be expected tbh.
How dare anybody diss Pawns & Kings.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

Dolo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:03 pm

I agree with you about the corny lyrics that started to appear on the more recent albums. I for one do like the lyrics of All Ends Well but Myles started to get screechy on the "if you believe" sections. As for your second point, Silver Tongue clicks for me while the other two singles do not. I gave Pawns & Kings and Sin After Sin many chances and did not dismiss them lightly. I don't consider myself an average AB fan having purchased everything they put out, watching countless live videos and interviews, and seeing them live a dozen times since 2007. I like the more adventurous side of AB and consider songs like Cry of Achilles, Calm The Fire, Fortress, The Last Hero, and Walking on The Sky to be some of their best. At this stage I feel like I have a pretty strong sense of what I like and don't when it comes to music and can state why - melody, lyrics, vocals, instruments, etc. I'm not going to fall into the crowd of "they never put out a bad song" or " this album is going to be a masterpiece". As far as I'm concerned they have two of them in Blackbird and Fortress, but those albums are not without their mediocre moments - Rise Today, Break Me Down, Lover, and All Ends Well. I only like about half of The Last Hero and Walk The Sky. There's a reason I don't follow bands like Shinedown, Three Days Grace, or Incubus anymore. I don't want to see that happen to AB.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Schulzy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:04 pmAt this stage I feel like I have a pretty strong sense of what I like and don't when it comes to music and can state why - melody, lyrics, vocals, instruments, etc. I'm not going to fall into the crowd of "they never put out a bad song" or " this album is going to be a masterpiece". As far as I'm concerned they have two of them in Blackbird and Fortress, but those albums are not without their mediocre moments - Rise Today, Break Me Down, Lover, and All Ends Well. I only like about half of The Last Hero and Walk The Sky. There's a reason I don't follow bands like Shinedown, Three Days Grace, or Incubus anymore. I don't want to see that happen to AB.
Well, at some point, we, as fans, has to come to the point where it's a me issue rather than a band issue on why we are not fans of certain bands anymore. I'm still going to stick with AB no matter what (call me a fanboy, whatever. I can't help it that I'm still having fun listening and following this band after 15 years and other people don't. That's on the other people).

I used to be a fan of the Shinedowns and the Skillets, and there comes a juncture where that's not the case due to various reasons (although I like a fair amount of Shinedown's Planet Zero album). I fell out of liking Daughtry on a larger level, but now I like them again and they delivered a concert of the year show in my views, and it helped that they had Tremonti open for them. I can't envision myself not being a huge fan of AB after all they gave and that's even after going through listening through The Last Hero (which is still a great album, but the production issues makes really hard to want to relisten to it again).

Bottom line, people can't force others or themselves to want to be fans of certain bands, but it would be nice to have an atmosphere where people do not denigrate others for liking something that they personally don't like.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

anguyen92 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:32 pm
Schulzy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:04 pmAt this stage I feel like I have a pretty strong sense of what I like and don't when it comes to music and can state why - melody, lyrics, vocals, instruments, etc. I'm not going to fall into the crowd of "they never put out a bad song" or " this album is going to be a masterpiece". As far as I'm concerned they have two of them in Blackbird and Fortress, but those albums are not without their mediocre moments - Rise Today, Break Me Down, Lover, and All Ends Well. I only like about half of The Last Hero and Walk The Sky. There's a reason I don't follow bands like Shinedown, Three Days Grace, or Incubus anymore. I don't want to see that happen to AB.
Well, at some point, we, as fans, has to come to the point where it's a me issue rather than a band issue on why we are not fans of certain bands anymore. I'm still going to stick with AB no matter what (call me a fanboy, whatever. I can't help it that I'm still having fun listening and following this band after 15 years and other people don't. That's on the other people).

I used to be a fan of the Shinedowns and the Skillets, and there comes a juncture where that's not the case due to various reasons (although I like a fair amount of Shinedown's Planet Zero album). I fell out of liking Daughtry on a larger level, but now I like them again and they delivered a concert of the year show in my views, and it helped that they had Tremonti open for them. I can't envision myself not being a huge fan of AB after all they gave and that's even after going through listening through The Last Hero (which is still a great album, but the production issues makes really hard to want to relisten to it again).

Bottom line, people can't force others or themselves to want to be fans of certain bands, but it would be nice to have an atmosphere where people do not denigrate others for liking something that they personally don't like.
I appreciate your thoughts and viewpoint but I am going to disagree with you on a few things. I think a band has a lot to do with whether their fan base continues to follow them or drop off. Yes, the individual can make their own decision but I think it is influenced by what the music sounds like and how it impacts the listener on another level - emotionally, lyrically, etc. Band member behavior also has a lot to do with it. For example, I loved Shinedown's first two albums. As time went by the sound and lyrics changed - more pop influenced. I remember watching Brent Smith lip sync live performances over and over. That drove me further away. The same thing happened with Daughtry for me - loved the first three albums and then felt a strong dropoff - less rock influenced. Dearly Beloved restored my interest as I thought it was a huge return to form - musically, lyrically, and vocally. I've commented when The Last Hero came out how exhausting it was to listen to that album. It just sounded different to me. Lyrically the songs just didn't resonate like they had on the first four albums. I didn't find myself singing them as often or having a hard time remembering how they went. When Walk The Sky came out it was more of the same for me and I sense that on Pawns & Kings too. I certainly don't want to make anybody feel bad for liking songs or come across as overly critical. I feel like I've stated what I like and dislike about each new single so far - lyrically and musically. I'm glad that other fans of the band and members here enjoy the new singles so much because I feel like AB has the capability to connect on different levels. Sadly, I was hoping for more.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Im in the camp where Im usually supportive of bands even if I dont like all of their output. Just my thoughts.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

cheesedip1 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:20 pm Im in the camp where Im usually supportive of bands even if I dont like all of their output. Just my thoughts.
I am too, except for Bon Jovi. When they started getting really against my political views, I lost a lot of respect for them.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!