Unpopular Opinions - Alter Bridge Edition

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Unpopular Opinions - Alter Bridge Edition

Post by cheesedip1 »

I agree with Dan Dando. ODY album just has better songs overall compared to BB. So basically the opposite viewpoint that Timo has.

And I agree with BSC that BB album is a bit overrated. Theres too much filler and some of the songs have weak choruses.

Of course i do also think all 3 bonus tracks from BB and AB3 are solid. Kind of like how the Sound of Madness album by shinedown has bonus tracks that are better than some of the songs on the album.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

I've been having the feeling lately that Calm The Fire and Cry Of Achilles should have been swapped in the Fortress tracklisting...

1. Calm The Fire
2. Addicted To Pain
3. Bleed It Dry
4. Lover
5. The Uninvited
6. Peace Is Broken
7. Cry Of Achilles
8. Waters Rising
9. Farther Than The Sun
10. Cry A River
11. All Ends Well
12. Fortress

I honestly wouldn't change a damn thing about Fortress but the record could have sounded just as great opening with that delicate Calm The Fire acoustic intro!
Then Cry Of Achilles and Waters Rising would make a killer 1-2 punch!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Just did a fresh reread of this thread and stumbled upon some intersting discussions.
TenaciousBe wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:22 pm Now, if they don't feel so compelled to address it in song, that's their prerogative as well. But if they do, I'd like to see them do it and not shy away from it just to avoid upsetting some of their fans. I want to see them speak their mind and use their platform to do good.
Nope. Music should not have the potential to hurt people. That could be detrimental to the size of your fan base.

Also saw some people that disliked Marching In Time, and I honestly have to say it and A Dying Machine are actually much better than the first three Tremonti albums. All I Was is okay, Cauterize and Dust are not really.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

cheesedip1 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:17 am I agree with Dan Dando. ODY album just has better songs overall compared to BB. So basically the opposite viewpoint that Timo has.
I never compared ODR to Blackbird, but okay.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Nope. Music should not have the potential to hurt people. That could be detrimental to the size of your fan base.
God, imagine how boring music would be if all artists thought this way.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Timotheus wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:11 pm
None of the music I listen to has lyrics that are written to hurt people. Not even Alter Bridge. Sure, they have songs directed to the second person and saying negative things, but it's all abstract.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

UninvitedZero wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:31 am I've been having the feeling lately that Calm The Fire and Cry Of Achilles should have been swapped in the Fortress tracklisting...

1. Calm The Fire
2. Addicted To Pain
3. Bleed It Dry
4. Lover
5. The Uninvited
6. Peace Is Broken
7. Cry Of Achilles
8. Waters Rising
9. Farther Than The Sun
10. Cry A River
11. All Ends Well
12. Fortress

I honestly wouldn't change a damn thing about Fortress but the record could have sounded just as great opening with that delicate Calm The Fire acoustic intro!
Then Cry Of Achilles and Waters Rising would make a killer 1-2 punch!
Calm the Fire, would have made an absolutely amazing album opener.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

maximzub wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:46 am
None of the music I listen to has lyrics that are written to hurt people. Not even Alter Bridge. Sure, they have songs directed to the second person and saying negative things, but it's all abstract.
Couldn't disagree harder I'm afraid. Positive music is fantastic but negative, protest and political music has a long and rich history that serves an important place in society. I think it's lame if artists are stifling their expression because it's not toeing the line. It could be an important and resonant message that helps people. What if Billie Holiday decided not to release Strange Fruit because it might (and flippin' well did) upset some people?

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Crumbso wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:45 am
Couldn't disagree harder I'm afraid. Positive music is fantastic but negative, protest and political music has a long and rich history that serves an important place in society. I think it's lame if artists are stifling their expression because it's not toeing the line. It could be an important and resonant message that helps people. What if Billie Holiday decided not to release Strange Fruit because it might (and flippin' well did) upset some people?
Strange Fruit is an anti-lynching song. Everybody would agree that lynching is wrong. It's not the same if Alter Bridge (or anybody) were to release a song that condems anti-vaxxers, because they're not wrong about anything.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

maximzub wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:39 am
Strange Fruit is an anti-lynching song. Everybody would agree that lynching is wrong. It's not the same if Alter Bridge (or anybody) were to release a song that condems anti-vaxxers, because they're not wrong about anything.
That's an easy thing to say decades later. Now everybody (hopefully) agrees lynching people of another race is wrong. When this song was released, this was very much so not the case. Check out this guy for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_J._Anslinger. Do a ctrl + F on Billie Holiday on that page. That song very much divided the audience, and even had people walking out the door during her performances.
Last edited by Timotheus on Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Given that vaccination is something that has saved an untold number of lives, I would be comfortable describing ant-vaxxers as wrong.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

maximzub wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:39 am
At the time of release, lynching was a reality and it was seen as just and right by a shockingly large amount of people. There are loads of great songs that upset people. Rock the Kasbah, Killing in the Name of, Between the Wars, What's Going On, Paper Planes, Zombie, Tamp the Dirt Down, Sunday Bloody Sunday.... hell, even Born in the USA are all fantastic protest songs with sometimes negative and very pointed lyrics that upset people when they came out.

I'm not saying that you have to necessarily like or groove with it. I'm just saying I disagree that music should never have the potential to hurt or upset people. In my opinion, an art form that always ignores the problems and pertinent issues of the day as a matter of course is one that is bereft of value.

Here's a link about Strange Fruit: https://www.biography.com/news/billie-h ... e%20night.
Last edited by Crumbso on Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Triple response :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Timotheus wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:08 am Triple response :D
Oops. Didn't mean to dogpile.

I will say, however, that Myles is not always the best at being political in his lyrics. He's too non-specific in his lyrics and it comes of as a little too generic when actually personally relating the issue he's singing about could give the songs more emotional resonance.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Also just realised I wrote "ant-vaxxers". What is this, a vaccination centre for ants?!
For all of the hope that it brings...

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Ubik wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:06 am Given that vaccination is something that has saved an untold number of lives, I would be comfortable describing ant-vaxxers as wrong.
Sure, the old ones may have saved lives. But now, the pharmaceutical companies are making new vaccines for diseases that aren't really that bad just so they can make money. And then they want to make them mandatory for everyone. At least let us have a choice, man. And don't hate us for making a different choice than you might make.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

maximzub wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:09 am
Ubik wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:06 am Given that vaccination is something that has saved an untold number of lives, I would be comfortable describing ant-vaxxers as wrong.
Sure, the old ones may have saved lives. But now, the pharmaceutical companies are making new vaccines for diseases that aren't really that bad just so they can make money. And then they want to make them mandatory for everyone. At least let us have a choice, man. And don't hate us for making a different choice than you might make.
Now come on. Ants are a very big problem when you're trying to have a picnic. It's a nightmare when the cake just starts to walk off the blanket.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Crumbso wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:41 am
Now come on. Ants are a very big problem when you're trying to have a picnic. It's a nightmare when the cake just starts to walk off the blanket.
Ants?

THE SYMPHONY OF AGONY PLAYS ON....
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

If Myles had a whiff of right wing in him, I highly doubt there’d be many folks on this forum expressing a wish to hear him get political. So I wonder if some just fancy hearing their own beliefs bellowed right back at them :D

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

God forbid they make a vaccine for a disease that’s killed over 6 million people.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.