Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Alter Bridge - VII

Post by Timotheus »

anguyen92 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:21 pm It's been so long......
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I think my favourite part of the new record build-up is always the cover art reveal. I remember being so disappointed seeing the art for The Last Hero. I still dislike that big head going off to the right. Ha!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: Alter Bridge - VIItress

Post by Ubik »

The Board reveal is always a big day, though has lost some of its magic since they've been so stingy with teasing the working titles.

y
f
hilles
For all of the hope that it brings...

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I’m glad we still get to hype up a new Alter Bridge record in the works…simultaneously feels like yesterday and also 100 years ago that I was getting pumped up for Blackbird on here. Can’t wait.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Dan Dando wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:25 pm I think my favourite part of the new record build-up is always the cover art reveal. I remember being so disappointed seeing the art for The Last Hero. I still dislike that big head going off to the right. Ha!
I like it… it was fitting for the moment for me! I was going through A Lot. …Tough Breakup! 😊 The music helped me hold it together after the breakup, so for me personally it was meaningful!

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

MaraCarr wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:27 pm
Dan Dando wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:25 pm I think my favourite part of the new record build-up is always the cover art reveal. I remember being so disappointed seeing the art for The Last Hero. I still dislike that big head going off to the right. Ha!
I like it… it was fitting for the moment for me! I was going through A Lot. …Tough Breakup! 😊 The music helped me hold it together after the breakup, so for me personally it was meaningful!
Well I appreciate it a little more now :cheers

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The cover art reveal for Fortress will always be a classic.

"Not only that but it looks like they easily could have used PAINT to do it! I think they know that the cover is underwhelming. This was done on purpose PEOPLE!" - a guy defending the artwork.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

*Tries to remember if that was me* :shifty

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Ubik wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:05 am *Tries to remember if that was me* :shifty
Nope, you were throwing Portal 2 theories around with zaz!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Timotheus wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:47 am
Ubik wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:05 am *Tries to remember if that was me* :shifty
If I had to choose between Portal 3 and AB VII, I would choose Portal 3, by the way. Simply for a little variety.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: what if Portal 3 IS AB VII??

Post by Ubik »

I guess that checks out... wait, zaz in the AB section?!

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: The bass is a lie.

Post by zazthespaz »

Ubik wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:12 pm
I guess that checks out... wait, zaz in the AB section?!
Have you tried Portal Reloaded? Pretty cool using time as another portal.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I'm excited, of course, but I'm also a little trepidatious. I don't think the well is running dry for these guys any time soon, but at the same time, we're 7 albums in now. How long can they go and still put out elite-level records rather that sounding derivative and formulaic? I think that's my main hesitation with the latest Tremonti record - it's still good, I enjoy it, but it feels like a "standard" Tremonti album. It sort of feels like what would happen if you put all his other albums into a computer and told a bot to create a new album from it. And I guess that's what every band does? Basically? But I don't know, I'm just scared. Someone hold me.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

TenaciousBe wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:02 pm I'm excited, of course, but I'm also a little trepidatious. I don't think the well is running dry for these guys any time soon, but at the same time, we're 7 albums in now. How long can they go and still put out elite-level records rather that sounding derivative and formulaic? I think that's my main hesitation with the latest Tremonti record - it's still good, I enjoy it, but it feels like a "standard" Tremonti album. It sort of feels like what would happen if you put all his other albums into a computer and told a bot to create a new album from it. And I guess that's what every band does? Basically? But I don't know, I'm just scared. Someone hold me.
I feel exactly like you

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Marching In Time is SO good, I feel like Mark is totally reinvigorated and I can't wait to hear what they've cooked up. And Ides Of March had some gems too. I'm just hoping for more Mark vocals, maybe some time signature curveballs, and lyrics more in the WTS vein than TLH.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

TenaciousBe wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:02 pm I'm excited, of course, but I'm also a little trepidatious. I don't think the well is running dry for these guys any time soon, but at the same time, we're 7 albums in now. How long can they go and still put out elite-level records rather that sounding derivative and formulaic? I think that's my main hesitation with the latest Tremonti record - it's still good, I enjoy it, but it feels like a "standard" Tremonti album. It sort of feels like what would happen if you put all his other albums into a computer and told a bot to create a new album from it. And I guess that's what every band does? Basically? But I don't know, I'm just scared. Someone hold me.
I'm with you there. If you stick with any process for long enough, you'll just end up putting out similar results with diminishing returns. The same is true of relationships, business and any other creative endeavour.

There is room and, I feel, a necessity to do things a little differently for the band to gain a new lease of life. It's all good stuff but the first few Tremonti records felt so good because it was something new and exciting for Mark and Co. Marching in Time is very good but it's very 'comfortable' and feels a little more like A Dying Machine part two to me.

There are highlights on each AB record since Fortress, but that was the last time I was truly overjoyed and excited to hear new AB material, because we were still in the unknown. Right now, I know exactly what to expect from an AB record, minus a tweak to style here or there.

These are great musicians and songwriters than are being a little overshadowed by time constraints and heavy-handed production. They put so much effort into keeping the live show pure and free of playback (an extreme rarity for an arena band - when I saw Shinedown support them, the comparison was stark. Shinedown felt like a pop show with some heavy guitars) but then their records don't showcase that feel at all.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

chtimixeur wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:56 am I stand by what I said 4 years ago.
chtimixeur wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:41 am Work with a producer who will push you to do new things.
Don't bring any riff, and write full songs in a room, as a band.
Take risks.
But they never listen to constructive criticiscm, and still think Elvis is fantastic, so why even bother?
Joe Satriani did this once and it resulted in his own personal least liked album of his career. I don't think it's too hot either. Some people just don't write this way.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Dan Dando wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:40 pm
MaraCarr wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:27 pm
Well I appreciate it a little more now :cheers
I really loved him..I actually had heart pains when we broke up….he looks just like the guy in the artwork. I had tix to that concert. He stood me up… other major issues happened as well. Anyway, we parted ways. I appreciate everything he taught me. I mean that in a positive way! I think we taught each other a lot!
“CHEERS”

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

davidstvz wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:03 pm
chtimixeur wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:56 am I stand by what I said 4 years ago.
chtimixeur wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:41 am Work with a producer who will push you to do new things.
Don't bring any riff, and write full songs in a room, as a band.
Take risks.
But they never listen to constructive criticiscm, and still think Elvis is fantastic, so why even bother?
Joe Satriani did this once and it resulted in his own personal least liked album of his career. I don't think it's too hot either. Some people just don't write this way.
Which Satriani album are you talking about?
His electronic album in 2000 or his bluesy self-titled one in 1995?
He worked with Led Zeppelin's producer on the latter, and even though the sessions were a bit of a mess, the end result was probably my favourite album of his (and I know a lot of fans love it too). He reached new heights with this self-titled album, and since then, he's pretty much released the same album again and again. I still enjoy whatever he releases, but it never clicks with me like the 1995 album did. Why? Because he went out of his comfort zone, and you can clearly hear it.

Let's also talk about Metallica for a minute.
During the 80's, they pretty much wrote like Mark, and built songs out of parts. Those albums were amazing, but in 1988, you could tell they were starting to repeat themselves.
The Load and Reload albums showed another side of them : the songs had fewer riffs and were more organic. The band took a chance during these sessions, and it didn't always pay off. But as far as I'm concerned, these were the most ambitious and original albums of their career.
They weren't afraid of taking chances, when 99% of other bands in their situation would have released Black Album clones again and again until the end of their career.
That's the difference between the AC/DC's and Metallica's of their world. I love both those bands, but I can totally live without AC/DC's output after Back in Black.

TLDR: I think Mark could release an amazing and unexpected album if he let loose and stopped following these rigid rules he's set for himself 15 years ago. Until he stops working with Elvis, we'll never know what he's really capable of.
Last edited by chtimixeur on Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

TenaciousBe wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:02 pm I'm excited, of course, but I'm also a little trepidatious. I don't think the well is running dry for these guys any time soon, but at the same time, we're 7 albums in now. How long can they go and still put out elite-level records rather that sounding derivative and formulaic?
I'm not gonna repeat myself a lot because we've just had an almost identical discussion in the Stapp thread but it feels like the well dried out around The Last Hero to be honest and the last 'elite-level record' came around ABIII/Fortress-ish days. They desperately need to experiment and probably try out a different producer - but yeah, as we've seen it's Elvis all over again.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp