Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by Ubik »

Would like that a lot. Anyone able to listen to the whole ep? - https://planetradio.co.uk/planet-rock/s ... 195205248/ - I would but I'm getting an error.
For all of the hope that it brings...

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Whole thing is on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/So9K-iEmRmg

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

From the interview -

“At this point, Myles loves playing guitar solos, and I love singing,” he continued. “So we like to do each other's roles, because I think he doesn't feel the pressure as a guitar player because he's known as a singer; I don't feel the pressure as a singer because I'm known as a guitar player. So we liked filling the other person's role. It's fun.”

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

joshuabeau wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:12 pm “At this point, Myles loves playing guitar solos, and I love singing,” he continued. “So we like to do each other's roles, because I think he doesn't feel the pressure as a guitar player because he's known as a singer; I don't feel the pressure as a singer because I'm known as a guitar player. So we liked filling the other person's role. It's fun.”
I'm not sure if this is really anything new. He's not saying anything specific about the new songs. He's just saying that sometimes Myles plays solos and sometimes he does lead vocals, which has been the case for awhile. Myles played lead guitar as early as Blackbird and Mark did lead vocals on WDTTW on ABIII, and then more so on Waters Rising the next album.

If Mark said something like "I'm singing lead vocals on half the new album," that would be huge news. But I think he's just saying that they're continuing with the dynamic of switching things around on occasion.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

maximzub wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:04 pm From Guitar World:
Tremonti elaborated by saying he and Kennedy swapped roles more regularly while recording Pawns & Kings, with Kennedy taking on more solo action and Tremonti handling more vocals.
Wait, what? This is big news!
Whoa! That's hype worthy! More shared vocal songs like Words Darker Than Their Wings, Peace Is Broken and Forever Falling?! Yes please!

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

MidnightToker wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:10 pm
PascalM wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:49 am All sounds pretty similar to when they were releasing WTS to me (Myles being the one with the heavy riffs, and Elvis' being excited if I remember correctly).

Only difference is that I feel like there were more indications on what it was going to sound like (synth/keyboard sounds and John Carpenter references). But maybe that this kind of info was released closer to the release date and I am just being impatient
That's the main thing missing for me this time around: some indication of the sound.

I remember during AB III, one of Elvis' guys (Jef?) tweeting about how "Wonderful Life" was a special heartfelt song, so we sort of knew we had that ballad coming long before we heard it.

On Fortress, I remember them describing in a magazine interview how they had a longer epic-type song ala Blackbird and the working title was "Ritual" or something. It ended up being the title track.

With The Last Hero, Myles made it clear ahead of time that he was heavily influenced by the 2016 election cycle. He talked about it when "Show Me a Leader" was released. So we had an indication of lyrical themes on the album.

This time around, really nothing comparable to those sorts of details we used to get. All we know is the new album is "complicated" musically and that Elvis really likes it.
Ehhhhh, disagree there. We know a good bit. In addition to what you said there was also an interview where Mark said the album is very dark, to the point where Mark brought in a more uplifting song and Myles was glad he did as the album might be too depressing otherwise. There's also been multiple mentions of not just complexity, but also it being somewhat angry music.

Mark also said he sings lead vocals on one song, and Tim said they wrote at least 2 songs that were both 7+ minutes long. Not sure if either of these or the Mark lead vocals song made the album though. They wrote 14 (7 from Mark and 7 from Myles) but only 12 made it. So they cut 1 song from each.

But point is, we know more than you think lol.

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

MidnightToker wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:10 pm This time around, really nothing comparable to those sorts of details we used to get.
I’ll say it again…it was very telling with the pic of Mark holding the track list with the track titles cropped out.

The lack of disclosing any definite/confirmed details has been intentional and I love it. It’s what I grew up with in the 80s. We had no choice but to wait for the entire album’s details and tracks until we put the record, cassette or CD into our player for the first time. And IMO, it made the overall album experience the way it should be. I recall numerous times anxiously driving to the mall, buying the cassette or CD and immediately loading it into my car stereo player and listening to the album in the mall parking lot from start to finish, not knowing a single detail about the album until that moment.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

rscotta831 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:59 am
MidnightToker wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:10 pm This time around, really nothing comparable to those sorts of details we used to get.
I’ll say it again…it was very telling with the pic of Mark holding the track list with the track titles cropped out.

The lack of disclosing any definite/confirmed details has been intentional and I love it. It’s what I grew up with in the 80s. We had no choice but to wait for the entire album’s details and tracks until we put the record, cassette or CD into our player for the first time. And IMO, it made the overall album experience the way it should be. I recall numerous times anxiously driving to the mall, buying the cassette or CD and immediately loading it into my car stereo player and listening to the album in the mall parking lot from start to finish, not knowing a single detail about the album until that moment.
Where was this pic posted?

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

yeah, i was born in the mid 80s so didn't have the exact same experience but i prefer this method of promotion

mystery is good !!

plus, the old ways of the music industry (meaning at least the last 2-3 decades) are on their way out anyway
Last edited by scarecrow on Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I vote that we lock this thread until we get something concrete :lol

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Dan Dando wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:48 pm I vote that we lock this thread until we get something concrete :lol
they have a new album in the can that's being released in a few months! that's pretty concrete! :P

Red_D
Brand New Start

Post by Red_D »

DarkKnight12 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:28 pm

Mark put it on his Instagram & I posted it on this thread…….its back on page 17 👍

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

DarkKnight12 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:28 pm

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

I know it's not realistic, but I'd honestly be content if they released nothing at all before the album comes out as a whole. It's not like there's any doubt that I'm going to buy the album when it comes out, so less temptation for me to listen to the singles beforehand is a good thing. I think I'd like to experience the entire album front to back without hearing anything at all prior to that first listen.

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

VigilantSteve wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:48 am I know it's not realistic, but I'd honestly be content if they released nothing at all before the album comes out as a whole. It's not like there's any doubt that I'm going to buy the album when it comes out, so less temptation for me to listen to the singles beforehand is a good thing. I think I'd like to experience the entire album front to back without hearing anything at all prior to that first listen.
I wouldn't mind not having any singles before the album release either. But the one thing I always really look forward to is the official album announcement with the press release, which usually includes quotes and other info about how the songs came together musically, what some of the lyrics are inspired by, etc. I really dig those kinds of things to get excited about the record, same with podcast and magazine interviews, etc. It's a way of building hype without actually hearing anything.

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

VigilantSteve wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:48 am I know it's not realistic, but I'd honestly be content if they released nothing at all before the album comes out as a whole. It's not like there's any doubt that I'm going to buy the album when it comes out, so less temptation for me to listen to the singles beforehand is a good thing. I think I'd like to experience the entire album front to back without hearing anything at all prior to that first listen.
Bingo. Same here. Like someone else mentioned, I would like to attempt to abstain from listening to the early single releases, but doubt I could resist the temptation because I’m subscribed to their youtube channel. I’m going to see the notification on my phone. I guess I can unsubscribe till 10/14/22.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

anyone is free to join my 'not listening to anything before the album comes out' support group lmao

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

In my opinion that strategy works best if you don’t post updates about when you’re in the studio. Tool did more of a surprise release for their last album but after the long wait and status of the band, it was gonna perform well enough without a hype train.

I think most bands would benefit from having at least one single get a few weeks of radio play before release. I know FM isn’t worth much for that now but SiriusXM is a decent landing spot. Also having it added to the new release playlists/spotlights on Spotify and Apple Music can be helpful I’d imagine.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

MylesKennedy69
Brand New Start

Post by MylesKennedy69 »

Guess it's not this friday :(

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Alter Bridge - VII

Post by MaraCarr »

Dan Dando wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:59 pm
Ubik wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:54 pm
Andy92 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:01 pm Sounds awesome, looking forward to hearing what they come up with!

Hoping both 7 minute songs make the cut :D
As a single 14 minute song :shifty
He said ... 14 minutes. :wtf
If you will look... I said 14 minutes before 14 minutes was an Alter Bridge... 14 minutes. 14 minutes is something we should all pay attention to. :yeahthat

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfpFNRO_hGY[/YouTube]What if there were three 7 minute songs...7.7.7...? OMG...It would be the first in HISTORY. They would make album history. (21)

I think they did it. 777. They did it! That would be phenomenal for deep fans. OMG...Only AB could pull this off. I'm so excited! :peace
I am such a dreamer. I can honestly say of all bands in this world. I would love to see them do 777! It would be earth shattering.

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwgQyJ_uzg[/YouTube]

Yes....AB triple 7.

YASS!