Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
MylesKennedy69
Brand New Start

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by MylesKennedy69 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTqN0nh7Avk&t=70s
Alter Bridge - Pawns & Kings (Official Video)

It's out!!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Loving the video. I'm guessing they're gonna do a full video featuring the members for the catchy radio single maybe?

Looking forward seeing everybody's reactions! Also YouTube channels like Lost in Vegas.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Goodness, I really love this song.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Well that truly is a much better approach than releasing Addicted To Pain the 4th time in a row as a lead single!

Really cool song. It kinda has the colour of WTS (album) but also a lot of elements which remind me of Fortress. The style is great, the song is really interesting. I was nearly a little annoyed by Myles's vocals on WTS, but this time his voice sounds great. The transition between the chorus and the bridge was quite weird. Basically because there was none.

(I believe that the video director doesn't know too much about chess opening tho)
Last edited by Mr. Slash on Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

I am definitely enjoying the song so far. Interesting choice for a single, but honestly it seems that this isn't even the "epic" of the album being that it's the 3rd longest song. Sin after Sin has been described as proggy and Fable of the Silent Son is the longest song of their career if I'm not mistaken. These 2 I'm eager to hear!
While I am not a big production expert, at first listen it does seem better than their last few albums as others have said. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

If I'm not mistaken, that is a Myles solo followed immediately by a Mark solo.

Too early to form opinions but that heavy instrumental break is awesome. Love that.

Mullet151
Brand New Start

Post by Mullet151 »

Crumbso wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:48 pm If I'm not mistaken, that is a Myles solo followed immediately by a Mark solo.

Too early to form opinions but that heavy instrumental break is awesome. Love that.
Yeah I think that is right. You can hear the tone shift at 4:16 for a quick 10 second Mark run.

Definitely got last hero vibes through the first 2/3 of the song meets a dying light as the cousin. Loving this song though. I was a little unsure the first couple min with the lack of any major driving riff which was my complaint with most of WTS but they kicked up 20 levels with the post chorus section through the rest of the song. :mkrules :mtrocks

Red_D
Brand New Start

Post by Red_D »

Wow so much to love about this song, definitely recommend listening to it with good headphones especially for the part when the guitars are bouncing between right & left, also got goosebumps from when Myles started singing “The last shall be first, give it time, if in the end we’re still alive” what a great line that is :rockon

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Ok so my thought is...

This song fucks.

I'm so glad they went a different route and chose to release a track like this as their lead single. The band isn't fucking around, time to mix things up, change the formula, and cement themselves as rock legends.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

I don't think people quite understand how hard it is to write a song like this one. There are SO many elements to this song. It's not your typical intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/outro that you hear in almost every rock song these days. This song is dynamic as hell. It has a Fortress vibe to it for sure, and that's awesome, because that is one of their best albums to-date.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:14 pm This song fucks.
Yes, it fucking does. :headbang

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

I've always felt they should release a full video rather than just a lyric video for the first single, provided if maximum hype is the goal. Regardless, this is getting better with each listen for me. An AB lead single has not had me this excited since Fortress.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

RevenantGB wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:43 pm I've always felt they should release a full video rather than just a lyric video for the first single, provided if maximum hype is the goal. Regardless, this is getting better with each listen for me. An AB lead single has not had me this excited since Fortress.
I'd tend to agree - I just bet that touring schedules got in the way maybe?

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

There's no copy/paste bullshit. It flows. Heavy, melodic and uplighting. This is Alter Bridge.

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

Fantastic first release from this album. Idk if the is the "radio" single but this is a banger and catchy as hell. This song is also mixed well, definitely better than anything from TLH and WTS. Based on how the other songs sound this could be my favorite mixed record along with Fortress.

This is also my favorite artwork and color scheme. Damn, October 14th can't come soon enough! White marble vinyl and the flag preordered!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Love it. You can tell the song definitely works as an album closer but it’s great on its own. Musically sounds like a mix between the Fortress era and Walk The Sky which works really well. I always loved Isolation but this might be my favorite of all their lead singles.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Andy92 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:09 pm Love it. You can tell the song definitely works as an album closer but it’s great on its own. Musically sounds like a mix between the Fortress era and Walk The Sky which works really well. I always loved Isolation but this might be my favorite of all their lead singles.
I thought the same. It's the single I've been waiting for them to release for 10 years - doesn't fit their normal mold, more representative of the strengths of the band vs your average 3-4 minute banger.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Maybe the band decided to just get together in a room and jam for once.

Okay so I just listened to the song. First listen.

I assumed the song was going to be faster but honestly I don’t know what to think about the song after 1 listen only.

Will listen to it more.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

cheesedip1 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:33 pm Maybe the band decided to just get together in a room and jam for once.

Okay so I just listened to the song. First listen.

I assumed the song was going to be faster but honestly I don’t know what to think about the song after 1 listen only.

Will listen to it more.
Did you catch that there's two different solos in the bridge? ;)

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

Cool that on the cover of the album they have the band born date on the left side of the bridge and the release date of the album on the right side of the bridge. I hope it doesn't signal THE END.. but just a path to where they are now.

Still trying to find the blackbird in the album cover art.... nothing yet.