Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
axlar
Site Admin

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by axlar »

nagpo and scarecrow: play nice...
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I personally wouldn't want it with their current sound. If it was recorded back in the day, I'm pretty certain it would have been released.

I'm hoping that the next song will be a good straight-ahead banger with a fantastic heavy riff and a good hook in the chorus.

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

The guys from Lost In Vegas have done a very positive reaction to Pawns & Kings:

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

CrowsOnAWire wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:31 am The guys from Lost In Vegas have done a very positive reaction to Pawns & Kings:
Aww yiss. These guys should boost this album a fair bit. They have a huge audience and their reactions seem very genuine.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Crumbso wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:50 am
CrowsOnAWire wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:31 am The guys from Lost In Vegas have done a very positive reaction to Pawns & Kings:
Aww yiss. These guys should boost this album a fair bit. They have a huge audience and their reactions seem very genuine.
Not so sure about that. They do have a lot of subscribers but their view counts are all over the place. I think this is because most folks only watch reaction videos that feature artists they already like.

Edit - Glad they dig the tune though. Didn’t want to sound too negative :lol

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Dan Dando wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:24 am
Crumbso wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:50 am
Not so sure about that. They do have a lot of subscribers but their view counts are all over the place. I think this is because most folks only watch reaction videos that feature artists they already like.

Edit - Glad they dig the tune though. Didn’t want to sound too negative :lol
positive press is positive press but i don't believe any single youtube channel, critic, etc. alone has the power to move the needle on this kind of stuff (except under extraordinary circumstances)

they're all nice little pushes though that add up

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

axlar wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:34 am nagpo and scarecrow: play nice...
afaik the topic at hand is the new album, not an 18-year-old song that was never recorded :shrug

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

yeah, this lost in vegas video is giving me a new appreciation for myles' (figuratively and literally) powerful vocals on this track

and really, credit to elvis for bringing that out - he seems to be THE guy to be able do that at this point, although i'm sure not being a mere hired gun adds to the motivation for myles in ab

couldn't be more different from his vox on the latest slash album, and i'm thankful for that

zazthespaz
Kumar

Post by zazthespaz »

scarecrow wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:40 pm
afaik the topic at hand is the new album, not an 18-year-old song that was never recorded :shrug
If you really have that much of a problem with the conversation going off on a tangent, feel free to use the report button instead of devolving the conversation with comments like:
scarecrow wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:12 pm [...]

if it is, this band and these musicians - they owe you nothing, despite what you might think
which are completely unnecessary and make bad assumptions ("despite what you might think" - you don't know what they're thinking).

This goes for everyone - we used to have a good community here who would be active in between album releases, but then the mood shifted sour a few years back and people started making rude and unnecessary comments, so people started leaving/showing up only for album announcement talk. This can be a fun place, but we all need to think about what we type, if it's necessary, and what the outcome of those words will be.

Please DM me with any comments/questions/arguments about this post. Otherwise, let's get back to album talk!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

At times PAK seems to have lots of parts with singing.

It’s not always possible but it’s nice when songs have moments to breathe a little (like part of the song marching in time right before the chorus where it’s just an instrumental guitar thing).

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

zazthespaz wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:56 pm
scarecrow wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:40 pm
If you really have that much of a problem with the conversation going off on a tangent, feel free to use the report button instead of devolving the conversation with comments like:
scarecrow wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:12 pm [...]

if it is, this band and these musicians - they owe you nothing, despite what you might think
which are completely unnecessary and make bad assumptions ("despite what you might think" - you don't know what they're thinking).

This goes for everyone - we used to have a good community here who would be active in between album releases, but then the mood shifted sour a few years back and people started making rude and unnecessary comments, so people started leaving/showing up only for album announcement talk. This can be a fun place, but we all need to think about what we type, if it's necessary, and what the outcome of those words will be.

Please DM me with any comments/questions/arguments about this post. Otherwise, let's get back to album talk!
things used to get really heated back in the day - circa 2007 and before that

what happens currently is nothing in comparison imo

but yes, back to 'pawns & kings'

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

Thanx y'all :)

also, Lost in Vegas: "They altered the bridge..." :facepalm :lol
"Sing it, Stijn!"

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

It's pretty weird reading some of the comments under the Lost in Vegas video. Some of them are quite conflicting. 'There's too much going on' - it's a 6:16 track where the verse chord progression repeats all the way throughout the song, the chorus happens 3 times and the only exception is the extended breakdown - that's too much for people nowadays? I mean it's not like your typical 2:30 pop track with a two chord vamp but I guess you expect something different if you listen to a AB track.
On the other hand you get 'This song is incredibly monotonous' and I wonder if thr guy even listened to the same track. P&K is probably one of the more dynamic AB songs.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Tbf, the YouTube version of PAK isn’t the best quality. The CD version would be better.

Maybe we should make more songs with just 2 choruses like Slip to the Void. That way the whole 3 chorus thing doesn’t seem so monotonous.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

I guess nowadays it's tough on people when a song uses more than 5 different words in their lyrics?! :lol
"Sing it, Stijn!"

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

cheesedip1 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:40 am Maybe we should make more songs with just 2 choruses like Slip to the Void. That way the whole 3 chorus thing doesn’t seem so monotonous.
I actually like writing this way. Unless the chorus is really fantastic and I want to showcase it more.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

as a burgeoning songwriter i am a little jealous of the transition into the chorus and the chorus itself

that's the good stuff

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Must admit the song is growing on me fast !
Nice !
So much better compared to all on the previous 2 albums.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

August 2nd