Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I like the main/intro riff more than anything else in the song. The verse riff and melody also sounded nice, though. Chorus is catchy but almost goes by too quick. Pre chorus might be the weakest part of the song for me but its not bad by any means. Bridge could have used more instrumental riffage time before the vocals kicked in. Song might not have needed a solo, which is fine, but the outro could have also been extended with more riffing and I would have been pleased with that. Mark needs to be featured as the backing vocalist more and more forward in the mix than just layers of Myles.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Not bad, I liked it more than Pawns and Kings after one listen. Not crazy about the chorus, feels more like something I’d hear out of the Conspirators, but the bridge is awesome
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I dig it.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

It's on Youtube now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T71TTf7ito8

Oddly enough, they turned the comments off for this song. They still have the comments up on PaK.

I didn't think this was that much worse than PaK tbh. I really liked the last chorus with the soft Myles voice. It's just another song though where they have a chorus that feels like it's building to something cool and then *wet fart*. In my head as I'm listening to the song, I can SENSE the chorus melody should be going somewhere and it's going to be epic, but then it just sorta... ends.

It's not a secret, I'm not a fan of the head thrashing stuff anymore. So obviously, songs like this aren't going to be my favorite. But I don't think it's any worse than any of those sorts of songs on previous albums.

Just not my cup of tea. Unfortunately this is the direction they've gone with the last few albums (seemingly further and further with each release), which is sorta why I stopped enjoying the music in that same order. But I don't think this song is a *BAD* song, I just think it's worse than their earlier stuff. Nothing wrong with that.

I can easily see an audience of people who would like this song among my friends. I don't think the song is great, but I feel like some of the criticism for it is a TAD overblown.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Yeah, this song fucking rips. The bridge is something else, favorite part of the song.

“This alliance built on fear and rage. Ends in violence if I have my way.” :headbang

MylesKennedy69
Brand New Start

Post by MylesKennedy69 »

Last edited by MylesKennedy69 on Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MylesKennedy69
Brand New Start

Post by MylesKennedy69 »

AB23 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:25 am It's on Youtube now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T71TTf7ito8

Oddly enough, they turned the comments off for this song. They still have the comments up on PaK.
This isn't the official upload. Youtube always automatically posts songs which become available as soon as they release. These are usually not recommended much (hence the very low view count). I’m sure the official upload will have comments enabled. For example, here's the automatic upload for P&K https://youtu.be/93QxTbHTrhM again no comments.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Very cool song. (despite the verses)
Might be best the chorus these guys have written in a while.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

It’s a good song. The chorus is great. This song doenst need a guitar solo.

Mixing doesn’t sound the best. I like the fast chorus but dislike the echo effect on the vocals.

I think for the outro they could have done some fast drumming and then abruptly ended the song instead of having a final chord ring out.

That’s how I felt about PAK. The ending of the song could have been better done.

I feel like this song has a theme of anger and frustration. Anger can be bad but it can also be good. For example, in a case where someone needs to stand up for themselves.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Yeah really cool song!

Just a shame about no solo in this case imo and no mark harmonies. I usually am fine with double Myles bit this one would sound great with some mark harmonies. TLH had plenty of mark harmonies idk why not anymore

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

Like others have said, this would have been perfect for some Mark backing vocals in the pre chorus and chorus mainly, happy with Myles leading in the intro by himself and also through the verses

Shoutout to flip as well, drumming sounding killer on these 2 tracks so far, long may it continue!

The bridge has me throwing back to The Uninvited!

Scotty
Brand New Start

Post by Scotty »

Don't know if it's been mentioned or brought up, but are the lyrics about the insurrection?

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Oh boy. Brace yourselves.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Scotty wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:32 am Don't know if it's been mentioned or brought up, but are the lyrics about the insurrection?
Crumbso wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:48 am Oh boy. Brace yourselves.
:lol

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

I listened to Silver Tongue three times first thing this morning on YouTube Music. Once on my phone speakers and then through two different sets of headphones. My much more expensive set with AptX HD detailed the thundering bass and Myles' voice is crystal clear. My work set sounded very muddy as some have commented. I love the riff that carries the song. Chorus is very memorable for me. The last minute is the best part of the song - I think scarecrow said it reminds him of The Uninvited and I agree. Also the tail end Myles wailing is almost exactly the same as Dying Light. I don't think the song needed a solo. Solid 8/10 for me. High repeat listen value in my book.
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I legit never notice if a song has a solo in the first few listens, maybe I'm getting old. Song's growing on me though! Solid banger.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Thierry
Bought The CDs

Post by Thierry »

I absolutely love Pawns & Kings. Silver Tongue sounds too generic for me. It's the same formula as always. Rehashing of the lyrics as well. Again "blame" is part of a song. Starts to sound old to me.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

I'm really digging Silver Tongue! I think the song is tight enough to not necessarily need a guitar solo. That main riff is THICC! The first chorus does seem to end really abruptly but it fits. The chorus itself rocks! It almost sounds like Myles is singing "truth of the crime" instead of "tooth" like it was written in the teaser...

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

The tracklist release thing had the lyrics as "truth of a crime", and to be fair I have no idea what "tooth of a crime" would mean.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Ubik wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:22 am The tracklist release thing had the lyrics as "truth of a crime", and to be fair I have no idea what "tooth of a crime" would mean.
Wonder if it’s a nod of sorts to this…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tooth_of_Crime