Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by TenaciousBe »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:34 pm I think Stay doesn't hit for some because of the lyrical content - at least the way the song opens. You know the song is going to be cheesy as fuck. "Hold your hands up high and throw 'em in the air" for example. A lyric like that to *open* a song from a more hard rock & metal band is usually a bit cheesy & cringe.

However, the song begins to soar once you get past that and get toward the hook. But for some, the bad taste of that opening lyric makes the hook less impactful when it rolls around because they're already slightly disengaged.

Speaking very generally here - this is just what I've noticed watching different reactions.
You know what? The first time I listened to My Champion, I shook my head and buried my face in my hands. How could my favorite band write something so incredibly cheesy? But.... it grew on me. Until one day, I realized, this might be one of my favorite songs they ever did. I'm hoping the same thing happens with Stay, for others. I loved it from first listen. :cloud9
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

TenaciousBe wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:08 pm ...How could my favorite band write something so incredibly cheesy? But.... it grew on me. Until one day, I realized, this might be one of my favorite songs they ever did...
Well... your'e in Wisconsin or from Wisconsin or near Wisconsin right? So you ought to be cheesy! *ba dum tish*
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

We're over 30 days from the album release. What's everyone's thoughts now that we've had some time for everything to sink in?

For me personally: Holiday grew on me, but only slightly. Simply because the lyrics talk about needing a holiday, and I really need one. :lol

Outside of that - think my initial impressions of the record are largely the same - kind of just wishing there was... more. You know? Or at least that there were less pre-releases so more to listen to on the backend after the release. Makes me heavily consider NOT listening to pre-releases and simply only listening to the first single and then waiting.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

The new songs AB played on the opening night of their tour…

Pawns and Kings, Silver Tongue, This is War, Sin After Sin

Three weeks and 12 shows later, these are the new songs AB have played during their whole tour so far…

Pawns and Kings, Silver Tongue, This is War, Sin After Sin

Tim, if you’re around and happen to see this post, what’s going on like? :lol

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:34 pm Outside of that - think my initial impressions of the record are largely the same - kind of just wishing there was... more. You know? Or at least that there were less pre-releases so more to listen to on the backend after the release. Makes me heavily consider NOT listening to pre-releases and simply only listening to the first single and then waiting.
I get where you’re coming from. I think, out of all of AB’s records, this one has faded from my thoughts and listening habits the fastest. There’s a good chance that’s down to getting almost half the record prior to release day.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Dan Dando wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:23 pm
AB4Lyfe wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:34 pm Outside of that - think my initial impressions of the record are largely the same - kind of just wishing there was... more. You know? Or at least that there were less pre-releases so more to listen to on the backend after the release. Makes me heavily consider NOT listening to pre-releases and simply only listening to the first single and then waiting.
I get where you’re coming from. I think, out of all of AB’s records, this one has faded from my thoughts and listening habits the fastest. There’s a good chance that’s down to getting almost half the record prior to release day.
I'm kind of in the same boat. I binge records HEAVY when they come out - like I was blasting A Dying Machine for 3-4 months straight. But here... I find myself already in need of something new. Not because of the music quality (I really like the record, more than Walk the Sky and Last Hero) but because there's less songs for me to go through from the release (6).

Might have mentioned it before - but with 10 songs on the record, I think pre-releases should have been limited to 2 max. But that's just my opinion, no data to back that just sentiment.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:50 pm I'm kind of in the same boat. I binge records HEAVY when they come out - like I was blasting A Dying Machine for 3-4 months straight. But here... I find myself already in need of something new. Not because of the music quality (I really like the record, more than Walk the Sky and Last Hero) but because there's less songs for me to go through from the release (6).
I can agree that the album ended up feeling kinda empty because of having so many pre-releases. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying the songs on it.

I just took a look at my most listened albums of the past two weeks:
3. Volbeat - Servant Of The Mind
2. Alter Bridge - Pawns & Kings
1. Headroom Karma - Into The Vortex

All are albums that recently came out. So I think I also binge albums that are recent. The thing is, most of the reason why these are my top listened albums these days is because of a few songs. I've listened to This Is War, Dead Among The Living, Stay, and Pawns & Kings every day during these past two weeks. Does that mean I enjoy the album as a whole more than any others? Nope, it just means I'm enjoying those particular songs right now.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2UHFfk ... baa1f74117

Around 22:35 they say that the music video they made is for 'Holiday'.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Smart choice.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

Dolo wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:39 pm https://open.spotify.com/episode/2UHFfk ... baa1f74117

Can't help but laugh, "Myles just released his third album with Slash Titled 4". SMH

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Jhenrid wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:50 pm
Dolo wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:39 pm https://open.spotify.com/episode/2UHFfk ... baa1f74117

Can't help but laugh, "Myles just released his third album with Slash Titled 4". SMH
Yeah, initially I had no idea what he was talking about to be honest. I also kinda wish they stopped bringing Sinatra project up in AB interviews, it's been beaten to death at this point.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

Niceeeeeeeeeeee

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:34 pm We're over 30 days from the album release. What's everyone's thoughts now that we've had some time for everything to sink in?

For me personally: Holiday grew on me, but only slightly. Simply because the lyrics talk about needing a holiday, and I really need one. :lol

Outside of that - think my initial impressions of the record are largely the same - kind of just wishing there was... more. You know? Or at least that there were less pre-releases so more to listen to on the backend after the release. Makes me heavily consider NOT listening to pre-releases and simply only listening to the first single and then waiting.
Given a bit of distance and some hype disappearing. I think this is a very good album with some truly brilliant highlights. I maintain that the final four songs are just some of the best stuff they've ever put out and Fable really does sit in the top 5 AB songs for me.

It starts well and flags in the middle a little but there are some great things in there. Solos are lacking in length and perhaps inspiration. This really is putting AB back on the right track though. It's more consistent and less overwhelming than TLH and WtS.

It'll sit well as a good record in their discog I believe, if not ever considered truly top tier. I know I'll be listening to that last 4-song run till the end of time.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Crumbso wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:42 am
AB4Lyfe wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:34 pm We're over 30 days from the album release. What's everyone's thoughts now that we've had some time for everything to sink in?

Given a bit of distance and some hype disappearing. I think this is a very good album with some truly brilliant highlights. I maintain that the final four songs are just some of the best stuff they've ever put out and Fable really does sit in the top 5 AB songs for me.

It starts well and flags in the middle a little but there are some great things in there. Solos are lacking in length and perhaps inspiration. This really is putting AB back on the right track though. It's more consistent and less overwhelming than TLH and WtS.

It'll sit well as a good record in their discog I believe, if not ever considered truly top tier. I know I'll be listening to that last 4-song run till the end of time.
The 4 songs I've been listening to over and over from this record aren't the last four songs, actually. They are This Is War, Dead Among The Living, Stay, and Pawns & Kings.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Good question...I do like P&K more as a whole now than I did right after release day, and I avoided listening to the singles when they were released, so all the songs were basically brand new to me. Stay has gotten a little bit better in my mind and Holiday is still hard to listen to (and I'm bummed that's what they chose to make a video for), but all the rest of the album sounds really good as I've gotten more familiar with the lyrics and riffs and little nuances here and there. But overall, the album hasn't overwhelmed me the way the first 4 did when I played them nonstop for weeks without them getting old. By contrast, I'm listening to 3 other albums that came out at the same time - Queensrÿche, Avantasia, and Nothing More - quite a bit more. When I open the music app on my phone, I find myself preferring to play those albums. It kind of makes me sad.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

My opinion of the album is right where it was after the first few listens - solid, with a few standout songs. This is War, Fable, and Dead Among the Living are some of my favorite tracks since the Fortress album, while I’ve come to appreciate songs like P&K and Silver Tongue more than I did when they were first released as singles. A step in the right direction after the last two albums, but not quite up to the same quality as ODR through Fortress.
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/whats- ... 1_vSiZkrK4

'Silver Tongue' is nominated for the best guitar riff of 2022. Are we talking about the intro chug or the main riff?

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Dolo wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:35 pm https://www.guitarworld.com/news/whats- ... 1_vSiZkrK4

'Silver Tongue' is nominated for the best guitar riff of 2022. Are we talking about the intro chug or the main riff?
Probably the main riff.

Fun fact: Tremonti's "Now And Forever", of all songs, won last year's poll.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Just got a text that my chess piece finally shipped. Thank you Alter Bridge for the birthday present!
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Dolo wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:35 pm https://www.guitarworld.com/news/whats- ... 1_vSiZkrK4

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/th ... fs-of-2022

Look what just won best riff of 2022....
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!