Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
MylesKennedy69
Brand New Start

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by MylesKennedy69 »

Dolo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:44 pm Not gonna comment on the song itself, but how are you liking the production guys? I personally can't hear a single thing and the whole mix is absolutely slammed, reminds me of my own mixes. The difference is, this dude does it professionally for the living.
That's just youtube compression. All of them sound terrible on youtube.

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

Dolo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:44 pm Not gonna comment on the song itself, but how are you liking the production guys? I personally can't hear a single thing and the whole mix is absolutely slammed, reminds me of my own mixes. The difference is, this dude does it professionally for the living.
Yeah, I think this song sounds worse than the others, but how can that happen if they are all from the same album??!?? I'm listening to P&K from the same 'single' and sounds much better, weird and sad.
Last edited by Whitebird on Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

I'll wait for the album, but judging by the reactions, is it fair to say it's one of the best opening tracks?

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Silvercreed wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:10 pm I'll wait for the album, but judging by the reactions, is it fair to say it's one of the best opening tracks?
I think the best opener will always be Achilles, with Slip being a firm second. I'd place this as third as far as album openers go, however, this is the best 4-minute banger the band has produced in a long time, possibly ever. This song, much more than Silver Tongue and Sin After Sin, has me hyped and ready for the record. Gahdayum.

iAmDavis
Brand New Start

Post by iAmDavis »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:16 pm
Silvercreed wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:10 pm I'll wait for the album, but judging by the reactions, is it fair to say it's one of the best opening tracks?
I think the best opener will always be Achilles, with Slip being a firm second. I'd place this as third as far as album openers go, however, this is the best 4-minute banger the band has produced in a long time, possibly ever. This song, much more than Silver Tongue and Sin After Sin, has me hyped and ready for the record. Gahdayum.
I might be committing a sin here, but....I'm actually contemplating whether this is better than Slip, and I LOVE Slip (top 5-7 AB song of all-time imo).

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

iAmDavis wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:31 pm
I might be committing a sin here, but....I'm actually contemplating whether this is better than Slip, and I LOVE Slip (top 5-7 AB song of all-time imo).
Yeah I'm going to say sin... for now. One of my favorite aspects of Slip is not just the pure awesomeness from the music, but it's really stood the test of time. If This Is War is still bangin' 6 months to a year from now, then I'll consider.

iAmDavis
Brand New Start

Post by iAmDavis »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:35 pm
iAmDavis wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:31 pm
Yeah I'm going to say sin... for now. One of my favorite aspects of Slip is not just the pure awesomeness from the music, but it's really stood the test of time. If This Is War is still bangin' 6 months to a year from now, then I'll consider.
I'm just a prisoner of the moment lol. I'm listening to Slip again because sometimes I forget just how good it really is. Definitely stands the test of time, and my comment was silly. :lol

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

A brood of vipers, they are scheming as the West winds blow
They are conspiring from below
A raging fire from the depths of hell, a wicked foe
Unleash the tiger, take control

It's time to decide
Do not play the fool

So fight for your life, can't you see what's coming?
Fight for your mind, this is war
Fight from inside and believe in something
Don't compromise who you are

An army of shadows, they are waiting for the battle call
Bloodthirsty demons of the mind
They will unravel, if you let them, everything you are
And storm the castle from inside

So open your eyes

Scheming, haunting, waiting, taunting
Taking every good man down

And fight for your life, can't you see what's coming?

rising_waters007
Brand New Start

Post by rising_waters007 »

benjoAB wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:50 pm A brood of vipers, they are scheming as the West winds blow
They are conspiring from below

It's time to decide
Do not play the fool

An army of shadows, they are waiting for the battle call
Bloodthirsty demons of the mind
They will unravel, if you let them, everything you are
And storm the castle from inside

So open your eyes

Scheming, haunting, waiting, taunting
Taking every good man down

And fight for your life, can't you see what's coming?
I was just going to comment and ask what y’all thought of the lyrical content. Just from reading this I’m hype for the song; I love lyrics like these. I think MK & MT do then really well.

And it sounds like the music matches how cool the lyrics are

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Well, I guess I'm getting the best of both worlds. I've studied so hard for the exam that I finally feel like I'm ready, AND I still get to listen to This Is War the minute it comes out.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

maximzub wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:58 pm Well, I guess I'm getting the best of both worlds. I've studied so hard for the exam that I finally feel like I'm ready, AND I still get to listen to This Is War the minute it comes out.
Enjoy, my friend.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Upon my first complete listen of This Is War, its nice to finally get a decent solo in a P&K song. Probably has my favorite chorus of the 4 released, and it surprises me that it wasn't the lead single. The bridge could have been extended with an instrumental section or even more lyrics to elevate the song more IMO. Its definitely a fast 4 minutes, It feels more like 3 :lol Its also missing some Mark harmonies.

But with this probably being the last pre-release track before next Friday, I feel I can also say I think that Pawns & Kings instant-grat tracks were all superior to Walk The Sky's for sure.

How I'd rank the P&K pre-releases now

Pawns & Kings
This Is War
Sin After Sin
Silver Tongue

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:15 am Upon my first complete listen of This Is War, its nice to finally get a decent solo in a P&K song. Probably has my favorite chorus of the 4 released, and it surprises me that it wasn't the lead single. The bridge could have been extended with an instrumental section or even more lyrics to elevate the song more IMO. Its definitely a fast 4 minutes, It feels more like 3 :lol Its also missing some Mark harmonies.

But with this probably being the last pre-release track before next Friday, I feel I can also say I think that Pawns & Kings instant-grat tracks were all superior to Walk The Sky's for sure.

How I'd rank the P&K pre-releases now

Pawns & Kings
This Is War
Sin After Sin
Silver Tongue
I second the rankings - no debate here.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

I wrote up a review of This Is War and tried to post it, but I got a 500 Internal Server Error. Why does this happen every time I want to write an important review? :slam
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Here's a condensed version of my review so I can get past the 500 error. I like the song by itself, but I don't think that as an album opener, it lives up to the last four. Still, it's better than Silver Tongue and Sin After Sin, and I'm definitely going to continue to enjoy it.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Not impressed by this song unfortunately. Don't understand at all why people rank it as Fortress-quality. For me nowhere near that qualification. For me least of the 4 releases so far. Maybe it has to grow on me...............................................

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Whitebird wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:08 pm
Yeah, I think this song sounds worse than the others, but how can that happen if they are all from the same album??!?? I'm listening to P&K from the same 'single' and sounds much better, weird and sad.
I think it all comes down to the nature of the song. Sin After Sin has more less dynamic parts with clean guitar tones where Flip is not going ham on the cymbals all the time so the mix is not as busy. But this one is full of heavy sections and it all just sounds oversaturated. I think Elvis would be great at producing less heavy music, he's just not good at mixing metal in my book.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

Initial reaction to This Is War after four listens - one on YouTube and three on SoundCloud (sounds better to me there). Intro guitar starts/stops reminds me of In The Deep. Myles' voice sounds super thin. I'm not crazy about his Slashy style over the last few albums. The guitar work in This Is War is my favorite so far. Some very cool little parts sprinkled in. I think Mark's solo is just okay - I grade his recent stuff next to Let That Be Us - which is insanely good. Overall I'd give the song a 6/10 and put it second on my rankings. Slip To The Void and Cry Of Achilles rank much higher as openers in my book.

Silver Tongue
This Is War
Pawns & Kings
Sin After Sin
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

The hype got to me. This is EASILY the best song released so far and should’ve been the lead single. Banger. I’m back on the hype train for this album

This is War
Sin After Sin
Silver Tongue
Pawns & Kings
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

GassMoney92
Brand New Start

Post by GassMoney92 »

This is War has lots of great little guitar things going on and is such a banger, but to me feels like the weakest and least memorable of the singles so far. Pawns and Kings had the epic breakdown, Silver Tongue has such a groovy chugging sound and interesting change for the chorus. Sin After Sin was slow and intense in an Alice In Chains way. I haven’t been able to stop replaying that one. This is War is very cool and isn’t bad at all by any means, but it doesn’t really stand out like the rest I’ve heard. Slip and Achilles are definitely in another realm as far as openers but this definitely blows past Wouldn’t You Rather at least. The production and sound clarity have been my favorite things about this new album so far, everything sounds really tight. I just consider this newest single to be a bit of a safe choice, nothing really pops out. And yes, the super high-pitched Slashy Myles in the chorus can get to be a bit too much. I love it though, but the other songs so far have all scratched a certain itch. This one just flys by so fast with a lot of noise.