Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

https://digital.abcaudio.com/news/mark- ... ain-burner

Alter Bridge will be channeling Avril Lavigne in at least one way with their next album.

Speaking with ABC Audio, guitarist Mark Tremonti describes the upcoming effort as a "very complicated record."

"There's a lot of stuff going on," Tremonti says. "There's a lot of information to take in."

The shredder adds that working on the album "made our brains hurt."

"A lot of these songs, they're not just verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus, they're, like, 15 different parts that you gotta memorize," Tremonti explains. "It's definitely a brain-burner, at first."

Alter Bridge's most recent album is 2019's Walk the Sky, which, at least relative to the rest of the band's discography, was a brighter, more upbeat listening experience. This new record, Tremonti laughs, is "not that."

"I was just talking to [frontman] Myles [Kennedy] the other day, he's finalizing a lot of lyrics, and he's, like, 'Yeah, it's kind of a dark record,'" Tremonti shares. "I had brought in a song that was more of an uplifting tune for the record, and [Kennedy's], like, 'Yeah, thank god we have this one, because most of it's kinda dark...we don't want everybody to be depressed.'"

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Well, now we're talking.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Dark, heavy and complex, Mark says?
Let's! Fucking! Go!

This makes me think we could be in store for a decent blend of ABIII and Last Hero vibes... Dark and complicated with the one bright spot of hopefulness buried amidst the brooding? I'm sold already!

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

UninvitedZero wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:21 pm Dark, heavy and complex, Mark says?
Let's! Fucking! Go!

This makes me think we could be in store for a decent blend of ABIII and Last Hero vibes... Dark and complicated with the one bright spot of hopefulness buried amidst the brooding? I'm sold already!
Sign me up for that! Also sounds like we might get some songs with less than standard song structures, which is also great to hear.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I hope they mean that the songs explore darker emotional territory (Words Darker, Ghost of Days Gone By etc). I'm fearful that it'll just end up being Myles singing about how dark and messed up he feels the world is (Show Me a Leader, Writing on the Wall etc). I know people like the latter but I think Myles is better at the former.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Oh, fuck yes. Sign me up for dark AB. Now i'm even more stoked!

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

I wouldn't even mind a decent mix of both deeply personal songs and angry political tracks if that's how Mark and Myles are truly feeling in their writing!
It sounds like we're in for a heavy, proggy riff-fest! This could be AB's "...And Justice For All" and I'm all for it!

...On another, slightly selfish and critical note:
I really feel we NEED some behind the scenes goodies on this record cycle! Studio footage or track-by-track commentary or something. I need to know the boys still enjoy making Alter Bridge records and they aren't just doing it as a contract obligation... Maybe 2022 is just flying by but it seems like the guys write and record at lightning speed just to get through it to tour until it's solo album time again in a couple years... Maybe I was just spoiled early on as a fan during the Fortress days with the attention it got ahead of release? Maybe I'm just impatient and it's still hella early? But it seems those days of crazy hype are gone...
As far as the music itself goes, the excitement is already bubbling up!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

C'mon...throw the fans a bone!

Post by gbruin »

Ubik wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:03 pm Woooo! That usually means everything's in the can bar backing vocals and possibly solos.

No board at all this cycle :(
Man, that was so much chaotic fun whenever we got glimpses of the board and the working titles and guessing what style a song was and if Mark was singing or where MK was playing solos. Stuff like that really got the hype train running.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Sounds great!
"A lot of these songs, they're not just verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus, they're, like, 15 different parts that you gotta memorize," Tremonti explains. "It's definitely a brain-burner, at first."
This line intrigues me the most. He never mentions the words "heavy", "epic" or "proggy".

But that Avril Lavigne part went over my head :D was that explained somewhere?

Edit (16 minutes later): Oh... "Complicated"... Right.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

I like what I read !
Dark AB is the far better AB !

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

UninvitedZero wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:08 pm It sounds like we're in for a heavy, proggy riff-fest! This could be AB's "...And Justice For All" and I'm all for it!
I'd be cautious about hyping it up for yourself too much based on Mark's remarks. I mean, I remember him saying that Walk The Sky was kind of like a John Carpenter movie.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Dan Dando wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:38 am
UninvitedZero wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:08 pm It sounds like we're in for a heavy, proggy riff-fest! This could be AB's "...And Justice For All" and I'm all for it!
I'd be cautious about hyping it up for yourself too much based on Mark's remarks. I mean, I remember him saying that Walk The Sky was kind of like a John Carpenter movie.
That's a very good point. They called each and every of the last 3 albums 'progressive'.
That got me very excited and disappointed at the same time. It's cool that they're branching out but having 15 different parts in 5-minute song is just bad songwriting.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I'm all about the dark vibes - let me be a moody little bitch with some AB.

Edit: first time posting here in what feels like forever, what's up y'all :peace

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

UninvitedZero wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:21 pm This makes me think we could be in store for a decent blend of ABIII and Last Hero vibes.

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:43 pm "A lot of these songs, they're not just verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus, they're, like, 15 different parts that you gotta memorize," Tremonti explains. "It's definitely a brain-burner, at first."

Sounds like more Fortress and The Last Hero title track epics coming.

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

UninvitedZero wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:08 pm This could be AB's "...And Justice For All" and I'm all for it!
So Brian Marshall has been “mixed” out? Yikes.

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

Dolo wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:58 am "A lot of these songs, they're not just verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus, they're, like, 15 different parts that you gotta memorize," Tremonti explains. "It's definitely a brain-burner, at first."

That got me very excited and disappointed at the same time. It's cool that they're branching out but having 15 different parts in 5-minute song is just bad songwriting.
Could be wrong, but that’s not how I took Mark’s comment. I know he said “a lot” but I took it as there’s two or three 6-7 minute epics that caused “a lot” of brain burn.

Let’s face it…there weren’t any 6-7 minute epics on Walk The Sky, so IMO, they’re going to make up for that omission this go-round…in style.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

So AB is covering Avril Lavigne? SWEET!
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Slip To The Void!…

Post by MaraCarr »

I’m so Happy! :)

gbruin
MEGLADONG

It's way past your curfew, btw...

Post by gbruin »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:32 pm I'm all about the dark vibes - let me be a moody little bitch with some AB.

Edit: first time posting here in what feels like forever, what's up y'all :peace
Welcome home, Lyfe! :wave
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die