Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AHart96
Rise Today

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by AHart96 »

A big factor for me is the difference in vocal melodies and their memorability. There are so many from the ODR-Fortress era that you can’t help but sing along to and that get stuck in your head, whereas those are fewer in number over the last couple of albums. At least in my opinion
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

Good point AHart96. I listened to an acoustic recording of Brand New Start from early 2007 that I had stored on my old laptop and it brought me to tears. The melody of that song has lasted through the years and is a favorite that I come back to time and time again.
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

AHart96 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:50 pm A big factor for me is the difference in vocal melodies and their memorability. There are so many from the ODR-Fortress era that you can’t help but sing along to and that get stuck in your head, whereas those are fewer in number over the last couple of albums. At least in my opinion
So true ! Could not say it better !

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

AHart96 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:50 pm A big factor for me is the difference in vocal melodies and their memorability. There are so many from the ODR-Fortress era that you can’t help but sing along to and that get stuck in your head, whereas those are fewer in number over the last couple of albums. At least in my opinion
The ironic thing about this is that the best example I can think of of a memorable AB chorus over the past two albums, is Stay. And people hate Stay. :lol

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:11 pm The ironic thing about this is that the best example I can think of of a memorable AB chorus over the past two albums, is Stay. And people hate Stay. :lol
It took a few listens before Stay hooked itself into my brain, but when it did, it hit hard!

I for one am not people! Stay is so sweet and cheerful, I can't help but love it.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

UninvitedZero wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:37 am
AB4Lyfe wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:11 pm The ironic thing about this is that the best example I can think of of a memorable AB chorus over the past two albums, is Stay. And people hate Stay. :lol
It took a few listens before Stay hooked itself into my brain, but when it did, it hit hard!

I for one am not people! Stay is so sweet and cheerful, I can't help but love it.
Yeah, Stay is a great song. Whatever it is that people aren't liking about it, certainly isn't translated to my tastes.
Schulzy wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:57 pm Good point AHart96. I listened to an acoustic recording of Brand New Start from early 2007 that I had stored on my old laptop and it brought me to tears. The melody of that song has lasted through the years and is a favorite that I come back to time and time again.
I find this so interesting, because to me Brand New Start has one of the dullest melodies on the Blackbird album.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

VigilantSteve wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:50 am
UninvitedZero wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:37 am

Yeah, Stay is a great song. Whatever it is that people aren't liking about it, certainly isn't translated to my tastes.
Schulzy wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:57 pm Good point AHart96. I listened to an acoustic recording of Brand New Start from early 2007 that I had stored on my old laptop and it brought me to tears. The melody of that song has lasted through the years and is a favorite that I come back to time and time again.
I find this so interesting, because to me Brand New Start has one of the dullest melodies on the Blackbird album.
That's what I love about AB. Different songs impact people in different ways.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Schulzy wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:09 pm That's what I love about AB. Different songs impact people in different ways.
Absolutely. Part of what makes them so great.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I think Stay doesn't hit for some because of the lyrical content - at least the way the song opens. You know the song is going to be cheesy as fuck. "Hold your hands up high and throw 'em in the air" for example. A lyric like that to *open* a song from a more hard rock & metal band is usually a bit cheesy & cringe.

However, the song begins to soar once you get past that and get toward the hook. But for some, the bad taste of that opening lyric makes the hook less impactful when it rolls around because they're already slightly disengaged.

Speaking very generally here - this is just what I've noticed watching different reactions.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

My issue with the Stay chorus is quite the opposite. I don't think it's memorable at all. The hook is basically one long note with a harmony over it, which is their go-to formula for many new songs.

It doesn't sound bad, and it's great that you guys like that sound (truly is, that's no sarcasm), but in a song I already find pretty cheesy, it doesn't excite me that much.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Does anybody remember that Alter Bridge was doing a prize giveaway (15 golden chess piece pendants) to their top 15 fan art/fan covers with the hashtag #pawnsandkings?

Well, I just won one.

:crazy :dance
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

maximzub wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:41 am Does anybody remember that Alter Bridge was doing a prize giveaway (15 golden chess piece pendants) to their top 15 fan art/fan covers with the hashtag #pawnsandkings?

Well, I just won one.

Congrats! :rockon

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

maximzub wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:41 am Does anybody remember that Alter Bridge was doing a prize giveaway (15 golden chess piece pendants) to their top 15 fan art/fan covers with the hashtag #pawnsandkings?

Well, I just won one.

Oh you have to show it to us!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Whitebird wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:37 pm

Well, I just won one.

Oh you have to show it to us!
They haven't mailed it to me yet, but I got a text from a manager at Napalm Records this morning.

This is what I entered into the contest.

Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Did Andy send in a smiley face?

Post by zazthespaz »

Nice! Congrats Max - post a picture when you et it!

Anyone else enter that contest?

Edit: *not a typo - I got 500 errors until I removed the "g" from "get". I still cannot add the g back in even after these edits. :shrug
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Re: Did Andy send in a smiley face?

Post by Dan Dando »

zazthespaz wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:54 pm Nice! Congrats Max - post a picture when you et it!

Edit: *not a typo - I got 500 errors until I removed the "g" from "get". I still cannot add the g back in even after these edits. :shrug
Ghats geally geird :D

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: gonna be mad if this gets a 500 error

Post by zazthespaz »

Dan Dando wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:19 pm
zazthespaz wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:54 pm Nice! Congrats Max - post a picture when you et it!

Ghats geally geird :D
Show off :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

It would be so nice if AB releases the making of their albums, like a 1 hour 'documentary' of the process of every song and all of that, like the Blackbird one but longer, I love those footages

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, there was a 45 min. documentary when they discussed the creation process of the Fortress album in the album's Sound & and the Story to accompany the guitar lessons of the songs.

That's something I feel like they could have done on the regular.

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

anguyen92 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:00 pm Well, there was a 45 min. documentary when they discussed the creation process of the Fortress album in the album's Sound & and the Story to accompany the guitar lessons of the songs.

That's something I feel like they could have done on the regular.
Oh you're riiiight, I forgot about that one