Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Alter Bridge - VII

Post by WaywardOne »

Yes! Thank you so much for checking in and giving us the us the update, Tim! We always appreciate your giving us the scoop. Love what we're hearing so far, it's getting more excited than usual!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Damn I really need some new AB in life

Post by gbruin »

TTournier wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:45 am Over 15 tunes demoed already..
I saw some comments on how folks wish they would "write together like they used to", the method never really changed. They have always brought ideas in as demos and then riff on them together to make sure everyone gets their stamp on it. From there, the tune makes it or it doesn't.. that comes down to Elvis's call and they will let me fight for one as well (thats how clear horizon made WTS). Walk the Sky was the first time that they came with fuller demos just because you can do that now with a MacBook but they all still got worked over together as a band. Tunes that people think are Marks are actually Myles' and tunes people thought were Myles' are actually Marks.. Native Son, thats MK. Pay No Mind, thats Tremonti.. Dying Light, that was born in studio.

We all meet up in a week, will spend the next 3 weeks in pre-pro and writing with tracking starting at the end of April.

So far, the vibe is heavy. there is two tunes over over seven minutes long, two tunes built for radio and the rest seems to be the next evolution of the band. I cant wait to hear what it sounds like with the full band on these doing what they do best. Each guy really has "a thing" that they do so is so awesome... looking forward to it.
Ah, some good good news. This is most welcome. :)
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Thanks for the update. :bow
TTournier wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:45 amI saw some comments on how folks wish they would "write together like they used to"
Did anyone say it here?
I, and a couple other guys, just wish they finally did it for a whole album, because it would create a new creative dynamic between the four of them.

TTournier wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:45 amDying Light, that was born in studio.
And, for me, it was the highlight of the album. That solo is probably one of my favourite ones by Mark, ever.

TTournier wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:45 am that comes down to Elvis's call and they will let me fight for one as well (thats how clear horizon made WTS).
Well, you certainly have some influence, and I just hope you'll try and convince them to focus more on the dynamics of the album.
The Last Hero and Walk the Sky both sounded really bad (way too much distortion overall), and I can't think of another top tier band that allows that to happen again and again.
Also, compressing the heck out of everything is a waste of time in the streaming era, since Spotify and the other streaming companies won't allow your music to be significantly louder than the other bands', so why keep on doing it?
Elvis did an alright job on Fortress, and I'd be a happy man if AB VII sounded just as good. Fingers crossed.
Good luck to the band for those sessions! :wave

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

TTournier wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:45 am...
Thanks Tim! Sounds like a logical continuation from Walk The Sky. Hoping there's enough 'new' on this album to make it stand on its own. Like Blackbird was really different from ODR and Creed, and Fortress was another departure from Blackbird and AB III.

Walk The Sky did have its own sound though, with the synths. Did that album mark a new AB era? Because in my head it still belongs somewhat grouped together with Fortress and The Last Hero. Maybe if there were more synth heavy songs like Pay No Mind, Godspeed and Dying Light (which are three of the best songs on the album) I'd be able to detach it from the other two.

Still really appreciate the risks and methods they used on Walk The Sky. More of that please!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

give me all the synths, please

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

i know mark has mentioned john carpenter as an influence on multiple occasions. oh how i wish they'd collaborate. on music, a video, something. i think that'd be a boon for ab. john is a LEGEND and has worked with other artists before (like gunship on a song i believe mark has specifically mentioned). how cool would that be??

a person can dream, haha.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

If they don't have a song where Myles does a jazzy little breakdown with Mark doing some crooning over the top, what are they even doing. Like Bleed it Dry just with extra pizzazz.
For all of the hope that it brings...

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: or, maybe it won't!

Post by zazthespaz »

Ubik wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:28 pm If they don't have a song where Myles does a jazzy little breakdown with Mark doing some crooning over the top, what are they even doing. Like Bleed it Dry just with extra pizzazz.
:lol I was wondering if they'd incorporate Mark's Sinatra sound into the next record. Could be kind of fun for them to find a way to mix Sinatra and distorted guitars...
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

My list is now very short these days:
- New producer or recording/mixing method
- Way way way less overdubs
- Harmonies always being done by Mark rather than double-Myles
- Shorter album (45 mins or so)
Last edited by Crumbso on Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Crumbso wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:02 am My list is now very short these days:
- Shorter album (45 mins or so0
i never say never anymore but elvis is their guy. period. it is what it is. if it's any consolation, i think walk the sky and marching in time were steps in the right direction, sonically speaking.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

personally i'm hoping for more musical experimentation and more abstract lyrics. writing lyrics is HARD. extremely difficult. so i don't blame myles for leaning on cliches here and there. but i think more ambiguity and less reliance on platitudes would make a world of difference for the band going forward.

again, i don't want to be an armchair qb. the band operates at a very high level already. but there's still untapped potential there musically and lyrically, i think.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

I would love if this album doesn't get too heavy needlessly, they have heavy songs that sounds pretty good but there are others that I'm not so fan of like 'Island of Fools' or 'Native Son' for example, I would love if they can give us those well written AB songs like 'The Last Hero' or 'Cry of Achilles'.

'Pay No Mind' it's on my top 3 songs of Walk The Sky so I have no problem at all with them experimenting with synths again if that's what it is they use on it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I would like to hear a return to the ODR sound with Myle's high pitched Ooo's

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

scarecrow wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:14 pm
Crumbso wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:02 am My list is now very short these days:
- Shorter album (45 mins or so0
i never say never anymore but elvis is their guy. period. it is what it is. if it's any consolation, i think walk the sky and marching in time were steps in the right direction, sonically speaking.
I know. After 15-odd years, I'm under no illusions as to the liklihood of it actually happening but I stand firm that it needs to be done. They're on diminishing returns of the same recipe. I thought that Walk the Sky was a garbled mess sonically but Marching in Time was ok (stupidly loud bass drum notwithstanding).

AustinH22
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by AustinH22 »

8)

MylesKennedy69
Brand New Start

Post by MylesKennedy69 »

Since everyone has been posting their wishes for ABVII I'll join in:
I have utmost faith in the boys releasing an incredible album no matter what direction they decide to take it. All I wish for is that they take their time with it to produce something special rather than rush it to meet the 3-year deadline in spite of their various side projects (honestly believe WTS just needed another couple months of them noodling for it to be up there with Blackbird, AB3 and Fortress). Also, I hope Elvis gives us Marching in Time rather than WTS.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Dan Dando wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:59 pm
Ubik wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:54 pm
Andy92 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:01 pm Sounds awesome, looking forward to hearing what they come up with!

Hoping both 7 minute songs make the cut :D
As a single 14 minute song :shifty

14 minutes….
I like it! :)

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

ABVII is being worked on.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Hype! Nothing like the leadup to a new AB album!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.