Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Dan Dando
On The Rail

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by Dan Dando »

DarkKnight12 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:32 am
Dan Dando wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:45 am
DarkKnight12 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:04 am Maybe not for every major artist, as Harry Styles new album only had one song released prior to the album release for example
Styles is a bit different. Teenage girls will buy any old thing he puts out.
Fair enough. However I recommend his 2 latest albums. They’re actually really good and not totally destined to « teenage girls »
Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that he isn't talented. It's just that he's not someone who needs to really promote a record because of his One Direction roots.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Dan Dando wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:32 am
DarkKnight12 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:32 am
Dan Dando wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:45 am
DarkKnight12 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:04 am Maybe not for every major artist, as Harry Styles new album only had one song released prior to the album release for example
Styles is a bit different. Teenage girls will buy any old thing he puts out.
Fair enough. However I recommend his 2 latest albums. They’re actually really good and not totally destined to « teenage girls »
Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that he isn't talented. It's just that he's not someone who needs to really promote a record because of his One Direction roots.
I don't agree. Every artist needs promoting. It's just when Harry Styles releases a single, it becomes such a monster hit and is everywhere on the radio. That's not only because of his One Direction Roots, but also because he (and his team) writes fantastic pop singles.

I think it's a momentum thing. When Muse released the first single for their new album, it was a statement and there was real excitement. Now two singles later everybody's kind of over it. I'm sure there's a formula to it and it will sell fine, but I feel like if they'd released the album one week after that first single, it would've had more momentum and more coverage.

For bands like Alter Bridge I think it's not really about releasing the most radio friendly song, but about releasing the song that will give them the best media coverage online. The radio friendly song can always be released later.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Timotheus wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:58 am I don't agree. Every artist needs promoting. It's just when Harry Styles releases a single, it becomes such a monster hit and is everywhere on the radio. That's not only because of his One Direction Roots, but also because he (and his team) writes fantastic pop singles.
You know as well as I do that Harry Styles would still have monster hits even if he was releasing rubbish.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Dan Dando wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:36 am
Timotheus wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:58 am I don't agree. Every artist needs promoting. It's just when Harry Styles releases a single, it becomes such a monster hit and is everywhere on the radio. That's not only because of his One Direction Roots, but also because he (and his team) writes fantastic pop singles.
You know as well as I do that Harry Styles would still have monster hits even if he was releasing rubbish.
I don't think so. I don't think he'd have been to successfully release three solo albums if the music wasn't good. His persona outside of music (fashion, ex-teen idol,...) helps, but it goes both ways.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Timotheus wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:02 pm
Dan Dando wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:36 am
I don't think so. I don't think he'd have been to successfully release three solo albums if the music wasn't good. His persona outside of music (fashion, ex-teen idol,...) helps, but it goes both ways.
I doubt we'll come to much agreement on this, so I'll stop waffling on before someone moans that we've gone off topic :lol

All good though :D

I wonder if AB will film anything over the next year or two. Crazy to think that Royal Albert Hall was back in 2017.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Another Royal Albert hall concert would be amazing !!

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

DarkKnight12 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:17 pm Another Royal Albert hall concert would be amazing !!
Even if it was without the orchestra, I'm in favor of this! And with a brand new set of rare/new tunes!

Show Me A Sign
Island Of Fools
Wayward One
Cradle To The Grave
Dying Light
Walking On The Sky
Life Must Go On

Trenthetfield
Brand New Start

Post by Trenthetfield »

I'd love them to play RAH again - and reconvene with Parallax.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Dan Dando wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:23 pm All good though :D
:cheers
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Red_D
Brand New Start

Post by Red_D »

UninvitedZero wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:55 pm
DarkKnight12 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:17 pm Another Royal Albert hall concert would be amazing !!
Even if it was without the orchestra, I'm in favor of this! And with a brand new set of rare/new tunes!

Show Me A Sign
Island Of Fools
Wayward One
Cradle To The Grave
Dying Light
Walking On The Sky
Life Must Go On
I always thought Calm the Fire would sound awesome with an orchestra so add that one to the list & lets hope they can play RAH again one day :cheers

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:27 pm Dying Light

all released before the record
You’re right. Dying Light released Oct 3rd, 2019. Album released Oct 18, 2019. Forgot about that one.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

at 36 idc about singles or radio play

will wait to hear the album in full

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

Red_D wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:08 pm I always thought Calm the Fire would sound awesome with an orchestra so add that one to the list & lets hope they can play RAH again one day :cheers
BOOM!!! Exactly what I said when I first heard the entire concert. Calm The Fire would have been perfect!

Never understood why that song never received its due.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

rscotta831 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:26 am Calm The Fire

Never understood why that song never received its due.
I know it's liked by others but the chorus doesn't do much for me. Never been a fan of the way Myles sings certain parts of it (need, obscene).

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Red_D wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:08 pm

Show Me A Sign
Island Of Fools
Wayward One
Cradle To The Grave
Dying Light
Walking On The Sky
Life Must Go On
I always thought Calm the Fire would sound awesome with an orchestra so add that one to the list & lets hope they can play RAH again one day :cheers

Goddamn it how did I forget Calm The Fire?! That song opening an RAH/orchestra show would be positively spellbinding!

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Calm the fire is maybe in my top 3 AB song. Me wishing to hear it live and with an orchestra is an understatement !

Red_D
Brand New Start

Post by Red_D »

UninvitedZero wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:33 pm
Red_D wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:08 pm

Show Me A Sign
Island Of Fools
Wayward One
Cradle To The Grave
Dying Light
Walking On The Sky
Life Must Go On

Goddamn it how did I forget Calm The Fire?! That song opening an RAH/orchestra show would be positively spellbinding!
Yup Myles singing the intro with the orchestra doing their thing behind him :eek

Add in a couple of extra songs from the upcoming album as well & it looks like we have a setlist ready for another RAH show 🤣

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

If Tim Tournier still reads this thread, any chance we can get a little update or even just a nugget of info about a song or two? Appreciate all you do Tim.

Red_D
Brand New Start

Post by Red_D »

MidnightToker wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:23 pm If Tim Tournier still reads this thread, any chance we can get a little update or even just a nugget of info about a song or two? Appreciate all you do Tim.
I think the Walk The Sky announcement happened around mid June time so hopefully over the next few weeks we get the track list, album artwork etc…..I really hope so anyway, can’t wait to get some more info on this one :rockon

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

Red_D wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:37 am
MidnightToker wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:23 pm If Tim Tournier still reads this thread, any chance we can get a little update or even just a nugget of info about a song or two? Appreciate all you do Tim.
I think the Walk The Sky announcement happened around mid June time so hopefully over the next few weeks we get the track list, album artwork etc…..I really hope so anyway, can’t wait to get some more info on this one :rockon
It should definitely be within the next few weeks.

WTS released 10/18 and the track listing/cover art reveal was 6/14. And this album is slated to release 10/14 so I imagine we're very close!

https://www.loudersound.com/news/alter- ... tour-dates