Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
maximzub
On The Rail

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by maximzub »

VigilantSteve wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:56 am
Dolo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:23 am
Crumbso wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:50 am I keep getting the intro to Sin After Sin confused with the intro to Trust by Megadeth. That drum pattern is so similar :lol :

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Is there another AB tune that starts with a drum groove other than Metalingus? We Don't Care At All comes to mind as well.
Zero? I can't remember for sure as I haven't listened to the song in quite some time...though I think it is more of a drum fill than a groove.
Break Me Down and Zero start with drum fills, not grooves.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

TenaciousBe wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:18 am I do have to say this - my previous reactions to the songs happened as I'd listened to them individually. Each one coming out a few weeks apart, I tend to just listen once or twice and put it away so I don't wear those songs out before the album is released. Well, last night at work, I put the 3 new songs on and they really do feel more cohesive and hit harder as a group of songs rather than individual outings.

I'm sufficiently excited for the full album now. BRING IT TO ME.
Just did this 3 times.

Think this could be a special record. Counting down the days til October 14th.

Edit - Think Sin After Sin is my favorite of the three. Just hits harder and connects more especially with some things in my life at the moment. Then I’d go Pawns & Kings, Silver Tongue.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

I'm just waiting for the Mark written songs. So far, all of the riffs and solos I've heard are Myles-driven riffs and songs.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

pokefan_4 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:17 am I'm just waiting for the Mark written songs. So far, all of the riffs and solos I've heard are Myles-driven riffs and songs.
Lol Sin After Sin is a Mark song.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

I keep giving Sin After Sin more chances and listens but it fails to impress me. It feels like it's missing something....or several things. I've been going back through my old computer files and massive AB collection. Find The Real is a classic example of what I love about the band. Thundering riff, memorable uplifting lyrics, fantastic Myles low singing and long held notes, Mark's background vocals, Brian's beautiful bass groove during the "well I'll trade these lies" part, and scorching Mark solo with warmth and feeling. Sin After Sin is just relentless pounding, and borderline shrill. I realize how much the band has transitioned since 2004 but I miss the sound from the first three albums. It's good to revisit them every new album cycle though.
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Schulzy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:53 am I keep giving Sin After Sin more chances and listens but it fails to impress me. It feels like it's missing something....or several things. I've been going back through my old computer files and massive AB collection. Find The Real is a classic example of what I love about the band. Thundering riff, memorable uplifting lyrics, fantastic Myles low singing and long held notes, Mark's background vocals, Brian's beautiful bass groove during the "well I'll trade these lies" part, and scorching Mark solo with warmth and feeling. Sin After Sin is just relentless pounding, and borderline shrill. I realize how much the band has transitioned since 2004 but I miss the sound from the first three albums. It's good to revisit them every new album cycle though.
Interesting. I took a deep dive into Alter Bridge's catalog last night and listened to them for almost 4 hours straight. I was trying to pick up all the nuances of their production and the Myles/Mark team songwriting (that's why I intentionally left out One Day Remains even though it's one of my favorite albums). I found it really interesting to pick apart all the little details of their last two albums. I still think all the albums have a great sound and that reminds me why Alter Bridge is my second favorite band.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

GassMoney92
Brand New Start

Post by GassMoney92 »

After listening to Sin After Sin then switching back to a song like Pay No Mind, I can’t help but notice the massive difference in production quality. There’s no depth or clarity at all. I never really thought much of it until Dolby Atmos and spatial audio became a thing. Listening to something like Gojira’s newest album on headphones and then putting on Walk The Sky is pretty rough. I’m just really impressed by what they’ve done with these new singles and I’m honestly so hyped to hear the rest.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

How would everyone feel if they progressed to where they do like Mastodon and Mark and Myles just sing different parts of every song, like Words? I personally would love that.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

GassMoney92 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:57 am After listening to Sin After Sin then switching back to a song like Pay No Mind, I can’t help but notice the massive difference in production quality. There’s no depth or clarity at all. I never really thought much of it until Dolby Atmos and spatial audio became a thing. Listening to something like Gojira’s newest album on headphones and then putting on Walk The Sky is pretty rough. I’m just really impressed by what they’ve done with these new singles and I’m honestly so hyped to hear the rest.
Yeah it’s shocking haha.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

joshuabeau wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:45 am
pokefan_4 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:17 am I'm just waiting for the Mark written songs. So far, all of the riffs and solos I've heard are Myles-driven riffs and songs.
Lol Sin After Sin is a Mark song.
That's really shocking to hear. Because the riff feels like a Myles riff and the small solo pieces near the end are clearly Myles playing his Tele style PRS or some sort of single coil style guitar.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

joshuabeau wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:18 pm How would everyone feel if they progressed to where they do like Mastodon and Mark and Myles just sing different parts of every song, like Words? I personally would love that.
I would also love that :yeahthat

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Sin After Sin drum intro reminded me of Voodoo by Godsmack, but I can see Megadeth as well.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

New song sounds different than what they usually do.

Trenthetfield
Brand New Start

Post by Trenthetfield »

Probably heard Sin after Sin 7-8 times now, and while I don't dislike it, its certainly not grabbed me like the other 2. Pawns and Kings was instant for me, Silver Tongue I came round after 4-5 listens, but this is taking a while. The lack of a memorable hook I think is the problem I'm finding with it. If you asked me to sing/hum any part of it in 12 hours time, I'd have no clue where to start as I won't remember any of it! The tail end of the main riff sounds Tool-esque to me, not necessarily a bad thing normally, but overall it's just not hitting the spot. It's not good when I finish a song and think that when I see them in 3 months time that could be a toilet break song (it's an age thing!)! I also thought that it sounds like an end of the album song - I'm so pleased that P&K is there instead!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

After a few more listens the song has grown even more on me.

I do agree with people who think it takes too long or that it's too much of the same. If they'd just broken down the song after the bridge, and jammed a bit over the drum/bass intro towards some kind of climax, that would've been a more memorable and fitting conclusion to me.

I really like the current outro though. I know people don't like the lack of a real guitar solo, but I really enjoy that part.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Great new interview with Myles here, touching on some new songs (Fable, This Is War, Dead Among The Living) in the first 7 minutes.

Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

This is a really interesting song, but it is my least favorite of the 3 so far. Love the overall vibe and the chugging of the main riff, but the higher legato stuff after that throws me off. I think it will grow on me over time though.

Really surprised to see how hard a time people are having picking out where Mark is singing. I hear him a ton on Silver Tongue and Sin After Sin and it GREAT! Best they've used him in a long time - but I agree with what someone said about them moving towards a Mastodon style of sharing vocal time. They could absolutely pull that off.

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

WaywardOne wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:25 pm This is a really interesting song, but it is my least favorite of the 3 so far. Love the overall vibe and the chugging of the main riff, but the higher legato stuff after that throws me off. I think it will grow on me over time though.

Really surprised to see how hard a time people are having picking out where Mark is singing. I hear him a ton on Silver Tongue and Sin After Sin and it GREAT! Best they've used him in a long time - but I agree with what someone said about them moving towards a Mastodon style of sharing vocal time. They could absolutely pull that off.
Silver Tongue it’s all Myles on vocals

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Just wait until they perform it live, you'll see. Guarantee you the secondary vocals in the chorus are Mark.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

WaywardOne wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:08 pm Just wait until they perform it live, you'll see. Guarantee you the secondary vocals in the chorus are Mark.
Just because Mark could sing it live doesn't mean he recorded it in the studio.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!