Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
merces
Brand New Start

Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by merces »

From @bmarshall73 AB 7” is coming…🆎🎸🤘
Whoho, let the speculation begin!

I'll start, I really hope on some more accoustic stuff, and of course, 3 epics :peace

Edited by admin to reflect the album name in the title

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Alter Bridge - VII

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I hope for AB VII we get
- 12 to 14 songs
- 2 to 3 Epics (7-8 mins long)
- 70+ mins runtime
- More moments in songs where Mark is featured on lead vocals like the bridge in Peace Is Broken
- Another Water's Rising/Words/Forever Falling type song
- More backing vocals from Mark and higher in the mix/less use of Myles backing vocals
- A moment in a song or songs where Brian and Flip get to shine
- Lots of solos from Mark and Myles and a longer solo from each of them (40 seconds plus)
- Myles gets a lead solo/main solo on a song, maybe a flashy one or a bluesy one
- Mark and Myles do another Blackbird-style/FTTS-style solo tradeoff
- Heavier riffs/songs (like how Fortress was chock-full of them)
- Finger picked/clean intros and parts
- Longer drawn out bridges with lyrics instead of short instrumental ones
- More vocal range from Myles (more low-sung sections like in SMAS and more high notes moments like Words more falsetto moments like CTF)
- No songs under 4 mins, more songs in the 5 mins range.
- More use of acoustic elements in songs /Guitar FX and pedals
- At least one Ballad, two maximum.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Give us a proper, filler-free, 45-50-minute album with 9-10 tracks that you actually sit down to write; focus on less material but make it rock-solid this time. Write down the formula beforehand - 2 more dynamic, riffy singles, a slow minor ballad, a mid-tempo major ballad, 3 more epic tunes and 2 experimental ones (like One Life or Found (TDM). Drop all the conventions, experiment with tones, different instruments, try out new, weird guitar effects. Let Brian and Flip jam out a little bit, you'll probably be surprised what grooves they are capable of coming up with. Keep Myles away from all the nasality, let him work on the melodies a little harder. Let Mark and Myles sing harmonies just like on ODR. Experiment with the song structure a bit, not only in the epics.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

I really don’t care how many tracks and how long. Songwriting like the first four albums please !

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Michael "Elvis" Baskette can produce, but bring on another producer for audio engineering purposes please.

And I'm definitely in line with Dolo regarding less songs with more quality and epicness. I don't necessarily need anything experimental per se, but I'll take it if so.

I don't want Myles Kennedy harmonizing with himself seventeen times over. One Myles, let Mark harmonize here and there, but one Myles as often as possible. He doesn't always have to sing the highest of highs, either. He has absolutely beautiful verses where he gets lower or mid register. Although I don't love Shed My Skin as a complete song, the opening thirty seconds or so is completely mesmerizing and a sound from this band that I would kill to hear again.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Honestly after the last few years, I'm just gonna take what they give me :lol
For all of the hope that it brings...

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I wonder if they'll keep playing around with some synth sounds on this album.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

Ubik wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:45 pm Honestly after the last few years, I'm just gonna take what they give me :lol
Yep, I see no need to make demands on these guys. That's why they're one of my favorite bands. Just let them deliver whatever it is they feel like makes a good AB7 album.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I want either a lengthy instrumental or them to do a double album that covers all dynamics.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I simply want an album with good music.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I'd love to see them include a banger cover song. Something that could really hit some hardcore mainstream crossover appeal, the way Disturbed did with Sound of Silence. In those early years when they were doing covers in the live shows to fill out the time, they nailed it every damn time. Whole Lotta Rosie, Sweet Emotion, Kashmir, Rock and Roll, Highway Star... I mean, I've been hoping for them to do a covers EP a la Halestorm, but I doubt they have time with their schedules. But having at least one on an album could be huge.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I stand by what I said 4 years ago.
chtimixeur wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:41 am Work with a producer who will push you to do new things.
Don't bring any riff, and write full songs in a room, as a band.
Take risks.
But they never listen to constructive criticiscm, and still think Elvis is fantastic, so why even bother?

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I would like them to write material together as a band but mark doesn't really do that and has said he never has. I would like them to continue down that path of Walk The Sky and NOT The last hero

TTournier
White Knuckled

Post by TTournier »

Over 15 tunes demoed already..
I saw some comments on how folks wish they would "write together like they used to", the method never really changed. They have always brought ideas in as demos and then riff on them together to make sure everyone gets their stamp on it. From there, the tune makes it or it doesn't.. that comes down to Elvis's call and they will let me fight for one as well (thats how clear horizon made WTS). Walk the Sky was the first time that they came with fuller demos just because you can do that now with a MacBook but they all still got worked over together as a band. Tunes that people think are Marks are actually Myles' and tunes people thought were Myles' are actually Marks.. Native Son, thats MK. Pay No Mind, thats Tremonti.. Dying Light, that was born in studio.

We all meet up in a week, will spend the next 3 weeks in pre-pro and writing with tracking starting at the end of April.

So far, the vibe is heavy. there is two tunes over over seven minutes long, two tunes built for radio and the rest seems to be the next evolution of the band. I cant wait to hear what it sounds like with the full band on these doing what they do best. Each guy really has "a thing" that they do so is so awesome... looking forward to it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Awesome, thanks so much for the update! 3 weeks of pre-pro is longer than they had on WTS if I'm remembering correctly? (EDIT - looks like it was maybe 11 days for WTS)

Get those wheels rolling on the hype train woooooooooooo
Last edited by Ubik on Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

More heavy stuff like Fortress and The Last Hero, but not dark like AB III.

Some heartwarming ballads like on One Day Remains.

At least one real epic (6-7 min) but not too many of them like on The Last Hero.

No nasally singing from Myles.

Scale back on the synths.

More Myles guitar solos.

If Myles is going to harmonize with himself, don't do way too many layers like on Walk The Sky.

No overtly political lyrics.

The solos shouldn't always be at the end of the songs like on Marching In Time.

That's what I want from Alter Bridge VII.

EDIT because I didn't see that the one and only Tim Tournier has joined the chat!
TTournier wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:45 am Over 15 tunes demoed already..
I saw some comments on how folks wish they would "write together like they used to", the method never really changed. They have always brought ideas in as demos and then riff on them together to make sure everyone gets their stamp on it. From there, the tune makes it or it doesn't.. that comes down to Elvis's call and they will let me fight for one as well (thats how clear horizon made WTS). Walk the Sky was the first time that they came with fuller demos just because you can do that now with a MacBook but they all still got worked over together as a band. Tunes that people think are Marks are actually Myles' and tunes people thought were Myles' are actually Marks.. Native Son, thats MK. Pay No Mind, thats Tremonti.. Dying Light, that was born in studio.

We all meet up in a week, will spend the next 3 weeks in pre-pro and writing with tracking starting at the end of April.

So far, the vibe is heavy. there is two tunes over over seven minutes long, two tunes built for radio and the rest seems to be the next evolution of the band. I cant wait to hear what it sounds like with the full band on these doing what they do best. Each guy really has "a thing" that they do so is so awesome... looking forward to it.
We can't wait either! Sounds like a really good album in the works!

Also, maybe now I should thank you for getting my favorite song from Walk The Sky on the album in the first place?
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
I'm in love with somebody...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

TTournier wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:45 am Over 15 tunes demoed already..

This post has me really excited to hear what they're coming up with!

Also, thanks so much for pulling for Clear Horizon, Tim. That was my favorite song on the last album!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Sounds awesome, looking forward to hearing what they come up with!

Hoping both 7 minute songs make the cut :D
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Andy92 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:01 pm Sounds awesome, looking forward to hearing what they come up with!

As a single 14 minute song :shifty

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Ubik wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:54 pm
Andy92 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:01 pm Sounds awesome, looking forward to hearing what they come up with!

As a single 14 minute song :shifty