Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by scarecrow »

GassMoney92 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:59 pm I’m impressed by how much Pawns and Kings has climbed their top songs on Apple Music. This is War, Silver Tongue, Sin After Sin, Holiday, and Dead Among the Living are all consecutively after Blackbird. You have to scroll quite a ways to find anything off Walk The Sky.
That's because it's new. :S

GassMoney92
Brand New Start

Post by GassMoney92 »

scarecrow wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:34 pm
GassMoney92 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:59 pm I’m impressed by how much Pawns and Kings has climbed their top songs on Apple Music. This is War, Silver Tongue, Sin After Sin, Holiday, and Dead Among the Living are all consecutively after Blackbird. You have to scroll quite a ways to find anything off Walk The Sky.
That's because it's new. :S
Well, yes of course. But if I remember correctly, I don’t think TLH or WTS ever made it that high in their top songs even when they were fresh. I could be wrong, but either way it’s good to see so many positive reviews and reactions so far! :cheers

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

The above caused me to have a look at the relative figures on Spotify out of interest, but the most eye-popping thing for me was that Island of Fools has a freakishly high number of plays compared to the rest of TLH - only Show Me a Leader and My Champion have more, which were both released prior to the album. Anyone know if it got used anywhere? I know it's a low-key masterpiece of a track but that can't be the only reason.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ubik wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:38 pm The above caused me to have a look at the relative figures on Spotify out of interest, but the most eye-popping thing for me was that Island of Fools has a freakishly high number of plays compared to the rest of TLH - only Show Me a Leader and My Champion have more, which were both released prior to the album. Anyone know if it got used anywhere? I know it's a low-key masterpiece of a track but that can't be the only reason.
It’s about the best song on the album but that is odd with it not being a single.

Maybe it got added to some hard rock playlists on Spotify or something back when the album first came out.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Oh wow. Island of Fools is the 3rd most played song on Spotify in The Last Hero album with 8.6 million plays. Even The Other Side, with it being played on WWE TV, and that was a regular track in their live sets during the tour has only 6.0 million plays.

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

Andy92 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:49 pm
Ubik wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:38 pm The above caused me to have a look at the relative figures on Spotify out of interest, but the most eye-popping thing for me was that Island of Fools has a freakishly high number of plays compared to the rest of TLH - only Show Me a Leader and My Champion have more, which were both released prior to the album. Anyone know if it got used anywhere? I know it's a low-key masterpiece of a track but that can't be the only reason.
Maybe it got added to some hard rock playlists on Spotify or something back when the album first came out.
Yes, that's actually the reason.

Thomz87
Bought The CDs

Post by Thomz87 »

Pawns and Kings hits second place in the overall album charts here in Switzerland! Wohooooo :peace :rockon :D

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

I really liked this interview. More insightful than any I've seen so far on this run.

The only problem is, if they play The Other Side in Chicago, I'm walking out.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

maximzub wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:52 am

I really liked this interview. More insightful than any I've seen so far on this run.

Even if it's the opening song...?

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Silvercreed wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:40 pm

I'm not actually going to, I'm just going to stand there in misery while they play that song.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Ok, took me awhile but obligatory commentary on Fable:
  • It's so freaking cool when he sings "like a phoenix rising..." that the notes descend and then ascend. No way that wasn't intentional, really nice touch.
  • How good does Flip sound on this song?? :cloud9
  • So unfortunate that his voice is layered in the beginning. When that section repeats after the solos, they keep his voice organic and it sounds infinitely better. It's like they went out of their way to show us the difference within the same song and we're all like "yeah, we know..." :crazy

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

WaywardOne wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:39 pm
  • So unfortunate that his voice is layered in the beginning. When that section repeats after the solos, they keep his voice organic and it sounds infinitely better. It's like they went out of their way to show us the difference within the same song and we're all like "yeah, we know..." :crazy
Could have been a prime moment to have Mark do the lower harmony part in the beginning? I can sort of see why the harmony is there but 'double Myles' is often a less is more thing.

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

maximzub wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:19 pm

I'm not actually going to, I'm just going to stand there in misery while they play that song.
Why exactly the extreme dislike of The Other Side? :wtf just because you don't like the song itself or are there other reasons (like the lyrics fo ex.)?

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

maximzub wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:19 pm

This is extremely weird lmao. What’s wrong with The Other Side? I don’t actively hate any AB song, but they’ve certainly done worse than that one.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Mr.Vlado wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:49 am Why exactly the extreme dislike of The Other Side? :wtf just because you don't like the song itself or are there other reasons (like the lyrics fo ex.)?
Arctic wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:50 am This is extremely weird lmao. What’s wrong with The Other Side? I don’t actively hate any AB song, but they’ve certainly done worse than that one.
There's really nothing good about the music. It just drags along and there's no solo or anything to save it. And the chorus, with the way the riff goes under it, grinds against my ears. The way Myles whisper-sings in the verses (and the bridge, if I remember correctly) is also creepy.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

You just described all of the things I like about the song, lol.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

maximzub wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:36 am There's really nothing good about the music. It just drags along and there's no solo or anything to save it. And the chorus, with the way the riff goes under it, grinds against my ears. The way Myles whisper-sings in the verses (and the bridge, if I remember correctly) is also creepy.
That's the whole point of the song. The song would not be any better if it had a solo. It's supposed to be slow. It's supposed to sound creepy. It's supposed to be dark. That's why it works and that's why Edge picked this song to change up his theme song from Metalingus for a brief period.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

One of the biggest flaws on The Last Hero is that most songs are not consistently good or bad. It could have a good verse but the chorus would not be as good, or the other way around. The songs often felt disjointed. The Other Side in my opinion is one of the exceptions on that album. Fantastic song from front to back.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

The Other Side is probably one of the first symptoms of AB using this bluesy-slugdy low-tuned formula which a couple songs has had ever since and I'm not a big fan of it... but I would never walk out of a show if they played it lol
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Dolo wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:32 pm The Other Side is probably one of the first symptoms of AB using this bluesy-slugdy low-tuned formula which a couple songs has had ever since and I'm not a big fan of it... but I would never walk out of a show if they played it lol
Yeah, obviously I was joking about the walking out part. But I share the same opinion as you do about their slow, sludgy stuff.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!