The politics of Pawns & Kings

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
zazthespaz
Kumar

The politics of Pawns & Kings

Post by zazthespaz »

As said in the Pawns and Kings thread, please use this thread to discuss the politics behind Pawns and Kings. If there is a political post in the original P&K thread you want to reply to, please copy and paste the quote into this thread, and reply here.

Obviously, please follow all board rules - no name calling/disrespect towards fellow members. The mod team reserves the right to delete posts and/or lock the thread at any time, especially if things get heated. If you find yourself getting into political discourse with just one other member, please move the discussion into a PM (private message). If you find yourself referring to some legal precedent, action, event, claim, etc., please link to an article or website that backs up what you’re saying to avoid any “he said/she said”.

Remember, at the end of the day, we’re all just AB fans and here to celebrate a shared love of their music!
:headbang :mtrocks :mkrules
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The politics of Pawns & Kings

Post by scarecrow »

this post, my goodness :facepalm
scalthom wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:31 am
TenaciousBe wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:37 pm Me sitting back watching Trump fanboys poop themselves over Silver Tongue like...
How’s inflation under Biden working out for you. At least Marshall is conservative! Wonder how he feels about Myles TDS.
do we *know* brian is a conservative? i believe he was a long time ago. could still be but i don't know that. (perhaps someone here does.) michael tremonti definitely is which i find to be the more interesting dynamic.

and someone not liking trump doesn't mean they support biden. it's this divisive two-party bullshit that's killing us.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I think it's a bit mad to expect artists not to mention issues that clearly affect their lives and that clearly matter to them. Myles doesn't name check anyone and the ideals mentioned are pretty generic.

People have different opinions to you. Get the heck over it :P

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Crumbso wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:04 pm I think it's a bit mad to expect artists not to mention issues that clearly affect their lives and that clearly matter to them. Myles doesn't name check anyone and the ideals mentioned are pretty generic.

People have different opinions to you. Get the heck over it :P
yeah the 'shut and dribble' thing is bullshit

artists and athletes and other famous folks are people too and they get to have opinions and use their platform to express them

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Another thing that I feel like is relevant to this topic is where does AB's largest fanbase reside in? Europe and the UK. I think NA politics does not really relate to that area as much, although, there could be certain issues that everyone in the world can relate to as well and some things that AB feels the need to express in their own ways. Let's not try to make AB's songs as a platform to turn it into pro/anti whoever is in office. The important issues out there still remains the same regardless of whose in office anyway from anywhere.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I promise you, January 6th was just as alarming to people over here in Europe.
For all of the hope that it brings...

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Ubik wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:13 pm I promise you, January 6th was just as alarming to people over here in Europe.
I think what's honestly even more alarming to me is how many supporters he still has. It's not just the fringes. There's a real chance he could at least win the party's nomination again.

(Again, I'm not a Biden guy. His presidency has been a mixed bag and that's being generous. I was a Bernie supporter.)

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

That's the thing. A United States of America where the democratic process has failed is one that all of the West is affected by. The USA spent the entirety of the post-war period deeply embedding itself into Western Europe and the destabilisation would be immense and potentially catastrophic to us.

Trump has also served as a template for would-be authoritarian leaders over here too. This undermining of democratic trust has all followed on from 2015 onwards and the catalyst was Donald Trump.

January 6th was shocking for all those reasons above and I feel that this band is entirely entitled to share their feelings on it, especially considering that it was not done in a vitriolic way towards everyday people and is still up for interpretation.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

The US has a winner takes all, two party system. Might not be the best way to run an election.

And Trump supporters would be well advised to actually use common sense. What they do instead is to just say someone
has TDS everytime Trump gets criticized about something. How about possibly consider the fact that maybe Trump did
or got something wrong?

The thing about Trump is that he is good at acting crappy but in a way that disguises it so that after the fact he can go "oh you were reading in too much" or "you dont know what youre talking about, youre blowing it out of proportion". Its so insidious. Not sure if gaslighting is the right word here, but he does something in the same ballpark for sure.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

cheesedip1 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:00 pm The US has a winner takes all, two party system. Might not be the best way to run an election.

And Trump supporters would be well advised to actually use common sense. What they do instead is to just say someone
has TDS everytime Trump gets criticized about something. How about possibly consider the fact that maybe Trump did
or got something wrong?

The thing about Trump is that he is good at acting crappy but in a way that disguises it so that after the fact he can go "oh you were reading in too much" or "you dont know what youre talking about, youre blowing it out of proportion". Its so insidious. Not sure if gaslighting is the right word here, but he does something in the same ballpark for sure.
I was raised by a sociopath, something I didn't come to terms with until just before he died last year. The Trump years were very triggering for me for this reason. Just even the similarities in their mannerisms. Ugh.

I'm okay now though. Therapy is great!

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Bro if you genuinely care THAT much about the politics in a song that you think less of a band or its fellow fans because of it, you need a long look in the mirror. If something is physically harmful, we can talk about it.

But this? Get a grip. I'm not talking to anyone in particular, btw. If the shoe fits, get a grip. "I don't necessarily agree with the song's lyrics entirely, but hey, the song rocks!" and move on.

Feel free to express your own opinions (non harmful ones). But it feels really strange to judge a band off of it.

I don't think Kid Rock's music sucks any less because I disagree with him. Believe me, his music sucks enough on its own.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

People always bitch about Myle's lyrics and think that he should write only for them. I remember someone complaining about this line when AB3 came out:

How many times have you cut only to feel the pain?

'Ermagurd, so emo. Myles is just trying to be edgy. Why can't he just sing about uplifting things'

Knob heads :facepalm

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: These mod boots feel weird.

Post by zazthespaz »

I removed several posts from this thread that were not relevant to Pawns & Kings. Please only use this thread to talk about politics as they relate to the album - if you want to discuss politics outside of the album, please create a thread in the General Discussion forum to do so. Thank you.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

It feels like Sin After Sin is sort of a sequel to / continuation from The Writing on the Wall, which was clearly a diss track on Trump. And after Silver Tongue and P&K, this is shaping up to be a very TLH-esque dark, heavy, angry, political album (even though they love to tread that line of ambiguity with the lyrics). As much as I loved Walk The Sky, I am ready for angry AB with a clear, precise message throughout the album.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

I love how ‘we’ are talking about AB being political and in every interview I’ve heard Myles talk about the lyrics it’s about personal things and struggles. Like Sin after Sin he wrote about his own sins or ‘mistakes’.
They do make lyrics deliberately ambiguous, but it’s just funny to me that people interpret this as political or some other critique on society.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

fix wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:37 pm I love how ‘we’ are talking about AB being political and in every interview I’ve heard Myles talk about the lyrics it’s about personal things and struggles. Like Sin after Sin he wrote about his own sins or ‘mistakes’.
They do make lyrics deliberately ambiguous, but it’s just funny to me that people interpret this as political or some other critique on society.
I get you, but it’s hard not to see their latest song as political with lyrics like these,

As you adorn your crown of thorns
And play the pure messiah
Your flock will come to know the beast you are
I've seen your kind before, oh-oh

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: "Take the Crown is about t-ball." Yeah, right.

Post by zazthespaz »

fix wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:37 pm I love how ‘we’ are talking about AB being political and in every interview I’ve heard Myles talk about the lyrics it’s about personal things and struggles. Like Sin after Sin he wrote about his own sins or ‘mistakes’.
It's marketing - if they came out and said "This is a politically charged song, 'X' is a(n) (bunch of) idiot(s)," their album sales would tank. It's better to leave it ambiguous and let people read between the lines. (At least until they have the millions of dollars and secure financial future to speak their minds i.e. Dee Snider, Ted Nugent, etc.)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

"Sitting in my ivory tower
Invincible to fall
Some would say my final hour
As you scale the wall"
and
"This alliance built on fear and rage
Ends in violence if I have my way"

- Very literally a description of Trump sending his minions to "scale the wall" of the Capitol on Jan. 6.

"I swear to god, I'll find a way
To prove I still belong
I'd rather watch it burn away
Than say that I was wrong"

- Also a very literal description of Trump denying losing the election ("prove I still belong"), and how he's still falsely claiming he won the election over 2 years later.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

TenaciousBe wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:14 pm "Sitting in my ivory tower
Invincible to fall
Some would say my final hour
As you scale the wall"
and
"This alliance built on fear and rage
Ends in violence if I have my way"

- Very literally a description of Trump sending his minions to "scale the wall" of the Capitol on Jan. 6.

"I swear to god, I'll find a way
To prove I still belong
I'd rather watch it burn away
Than say that I was wrong"

- Also a very literal description of Trump denying losing the election ("prove I still belong"), and how he's still falsely claiming he won the election over 2 years later.
Yeah. I’ve said the only way the song meaning can be more clear is if they called it Insurrection and I believe that.

Hard to see the song mean anything else once you come to this realization.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Last edited by Dan Dando on Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.