Pawns & Kings US and Toronto Winter Tour 2023 with Mammoth WVH and Red or Pistols at Dawn

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
maximzub
On The Rail

Re: Pawns & Kings US and Toronto Winter Tour 2023 with Mammoth WVH and Red or Pistols at Dawn

Post by maximzub »

No way. Mark Tremonti just announced a Meet & Greet in Chicago for the day after the show I'm going to. And it's free! I still have to talk to my parents about it, but we might just go.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Pawns & Kings US and Toronto Winter Tour 2023 with Mammoth WVH and Red or Pistols at Dawn

Post by MaraCarr »

maximzub wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:19 am
MaraCarr wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:41 pm
maximzub wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:21 am
MaraCarr wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:11 am
maximzub wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:25 pm Guys. They just announced a new tour in May with Sevendust. Yes!

Sadly, no Milwaukee or Madison in the list. I'll be the first to get tickets if they announce shows there.
Come on to Daytona. There is a phenomenal line up. Hotels are reasonable if you order in advance. Just drive it.
I have finals that week. Not really interested in seeing most of the other bands either.
Oh...Your finals are very important! Well maybe you will be able to drive to another show, get your band mates together and stay one night somewhere. Its always fun exploring a new city. :)
I think we'll wait for a Milwaukee/Madison/another Chicago show in the fall. Also, Carson isn't really that much into Alter Bridge. Ashton
maybe, but I don't think he'd wanna go see them live. My family, on the other hand...they love them. That's who I'm going with next week. I have a friend from college that would love to see Alter Bridge as well, but he's out of town that weekend, so he'll also have to wait until something closer gets announced.

Now, if Halestorm announces a show near us, and it's not in August, we're all going. My family and I will take Ashton with us. Big bonus if they finally start offering Meet & Greets because we soooo want to meet Lzzy! But if it's in August, I will seriously cry my eyes out because we will be in Serbia then.

The same thing above can be applied to Volbeat, except we likely won't get Meet & Greets because I'm not as excited to meet them as I am Halestorm.
I've been up front at a Halestorm show. It is absolutely WONDERFUL! Do it if you can! They are awesome!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

MaraCarr wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:07 pm
maximzub wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:19 am
MaraCarr wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:41 pm
maximzub wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:21 am
MaraCarr wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:11 am
maximzub wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:25 pm Guys. They just announced a new tour in May with Sevendust. Yes!

Sadly, no Milwaukee or Madison in the list. I'll be the first to get tickets if they announce shows there.
Come on to Daytona. There is a phenomenal line up. Hotels are reasonable if you order in advance. Just drive it.
I have finals that week. Not really interested in seeing most of the other bands either.
Oh...Your finals are very important! Well maybe you will be able to drive to another show, get your band mates together and stay one night somewhere. Its always fun exploring a new city. :)
I think we'll wait for a Milwaukee/Madison/another Chicago show in the fall. Also, Carson isn't really that much into Alter Bridge. Ashton
maybe, but I don't think he'd wanna go see them live. My family, on the other hand...they love them. That's who I'm going with next week. I have a friend from college that would love to see Alter Bridge as well, but he's out of town that weekend, so he'll also have to wait until something closer gets announced.

Now, if Halestorm announces a show near us, and it's not in August, we're all going. My family and I will take Ashton with us. Big bonus if they finally start offering Meet & Greets because we soooo want to meet Lzzy! But if it's in August, I will seriously cry my eyes out because we will be in Serbia then.

The same thing above can be applied to Volbeat, except we likely won't get Meet & Greets because I'm not as excited to meet them as I am Halestorm.
I've been up front at a Halestorm show. It is absolutely WONDERFUL! Do it if you can! They are awesome!
They sure are! Every member is awesome. Their interviews are always so fun to watch. They can be hit-or-miss with their music, but the "hits" are amazing. Love Bites (So Do I) is my favorite song from them, and I think Strange Girl is a PERFECT song (something I don't say lightly, as even my favorite songs have things I can complain about). They put on an amazing live show. And of course, Lzzy is the love of my life. 😍😍😍
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

If anybody noticed, Alter Bridge announced this morning that Mark Tremonti will be having a Meet & Greet at the Fret12 shop in Chicago the day after the Chicago show. It's free so we just reserved 3 spots. They say he will sign up to 2 personal items and anything that is bought at the store. My dad says I should bring my Tremonti PRS for him to sign.

Oh my god. I'm gonna meet my favorite musician of all time. I cannot believe it.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

maximzub wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:28 am If anybody noticed, Alter Bridge announced this morning that Mark Tremonti will be having a Meet & Greet at the Fret12 shop in Chicago the day after the Chicago show. It's free so we just reserved 3 spots. They say he will sign up to 2 personal items and anything that is bought at the store. My dad says I should bring my Tremonti PRS for him to sign.

Oh my god. I'm gonna meet my favorite musician of all time. I cannot believe it.
Enjoy it, Max. I still have my Ibanez Gio signed from the UK Fortress listening party competition (god I wish I had a better guitar back then :facepalm ). You'll probably get time to ask him one question and then have a photo with him, so have a think about the question you'd like to ask.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Crumbso wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:41 pm
maximzub wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:28 am If anybody noticed, Alter Bridge announced this morning that Mark Tremonti will be having a Meet & Greet at the Fret12 shop in Chicago the day after the Chicago show. It's free so we just reserved 3 spots. They say he will sign up to 2 personal items and anything that is bought at the store. My dad says I should bring my Tremonti PRS for him to sign.

Enjoy it, Max. I still have my Ibanez Gio signed from the UK Fortress listening party competition (god I wish I had a better guitar back then :facepalm ). You'll probably get time to ask him one question and then have a photo with him, so have a think about the question you'd like to ask.
One question. Hmm. I've spent some time thinking about questions I'd like to ask Lzzy Hale, my other top musician idol, but I don't think any of them would apply to Mark.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

maximzub wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:55 pm

One question. Hmm. I've spent some time thinking about questions I'd like to ask Lzzy Hale, my other top musician idol, but I don't think any of them would apply to Mark.
Also, you might find it easier to take the control cavity or trem cover off of the guitar and then take those along with you. Saves the guitar getting dinged up and is less awkward for Mark to sign. I took a gold paint pen with me so that he and Myles could use that.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Crumbso wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:02 pm

Also, you might find it easier to take the control cavity or trem cover off of the guitar and then take those along with you. Saves the guitar getting dinged up and is less awkward for Mark to sign. I took a gold paint pen with me so that he and Myles could use that.
The control cavity is one idea, but then it wouldn't be showing on the guitar when I play it. It does not have a tremolo cover on the back.

Last time I got a part of my guitar signed, I took the pickguard off of my Fender Strat. Because we didn't want the signatures to rub off, we bought a new pickguard for the guitar and framed the signed pickguard along with a couple pictures of the band (YU Grupa) signing it. Obviously, I can't do that this time because the PRS doesn't have a pickguard.

Again, since we don't want the signature to come off, we thought of getting a clear sticker to cover it. Maybe a good place for it would be somewhere around where Mark has his Dimebag sticker on his Dime guitar? I don't know. Also, what color marker would show the best on this color guitar? It's the one on the stand on the left throughout this video.

Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

maximzub wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:34 pm
Crumbso wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:02 pm

The control cavity is one idea, but then it wouldn't be showing on the guitar when I play it. It does not have a tremolo cover on the back.

Last time I got a part of my guitar signed, I took the pickguard off of my Fender Strat. Because we didn't want the signatures to rub off, we bought a new pickguard for the guitar and framed the signed pickguard along with a couple pictures of the band (YU Grupa) signing it. Obviously, I can't do that this time because the PRS doesn't have a pickguard.

Again, since we don't want the signature to come off, we thought of getting a clear sticker to cover it. Maybe a good place for it would be somewhere around where Mark has his Dimebag sticker on his Dime guitar? I don't know. Also, what color marker would show the best on this color guitar? It's the one on the stand on the left throughout this video.

I'd probably go with the gold paint pen, or maybe white. Black wouldn't show up well on the grey. It's a hard one in terms of protecting it when playing. Some kind of epoxy clearcoat applied with a stencil?

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Okay, I'm blank with ideas of questions to ask Mark. What do you guys think I should ask him?
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

maximzub wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:05 pm Okay, I'm blank with ideas of questions to ask Mark. What do you guys think I should ask him?
How did the Larry The Cable Guy collaboration come about?

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

maximzub wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:05 pm Okay, I'm blank with ideas of questions to ask Mark. What do you guys think I should ask him?
Mine was ridiculous. I asked Mark which song off of Fortress he enjoyed playing live the most... to which he replied, "I don't know, we haven't played them live yet." :facepalm :lol

What I meant was just which song is the most fun to play in terms of riffs etc but, in my flustered state, I added the word 'live'. :lol

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Today's the day! I hope they play This Is War or Dead Among The Living in the Pawns & Kings spot and not Sin After Sin.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

I returned home after driving almost four hours each way from Des Moines, Iowa to Prior Lake, Minnesota. Time for a nap after getting back to my hotel room last night around midnight. My full review with photos and video links will be in the concert reviews thread. Quick thoughts - live show #12 for me. By far the nicest place I've ever seen AB perform in. Largest crowd too - some said close to 2500 people. I think the guys were the most relaxed too.
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Well, it happened. I finally saw Alter Bridge live. And to top it off, today I got to meet Mark Tremonti, take pictures with him, and have him sign my guitar, jacket, and some posters. I'm gonna do an anguyen-style write-up pretty soon.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: No Andy, I doubt he asked about Sanderson.

Post by zazthespaz »

maximzub wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:06 pm Well, it happened. I finally saw Alter Bridge live. And to top it off, today I got to meet Mark Tremonti, take pictures with him, and have him sign my guitar, jacket, and some posters. I'm gonna do an anguyen-style write-up pretty soon.
Just catching up on the thread now - that's cool that you got to meet him one on one! What question(s) did you ask? It's difficult asking a good one without seeming like too much of an Alter Bridge nerd :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

On another note, one touch I did like after the show ended was while I was walking out of the building in Toronto, I heard some old laidback music and I thought, "This sounds like Sinatra." Checked Shazam and it turned out to be My Way. I pondered and thought, "This version I'm hearing is the one Mark sang for his Tremonti Sings Sinatra stuff, isn't it?" Apparently, setlist.fm did list it as the outro music in the Chicago show.

maximzub
On The Rail

"Why didn't you play This Is War last night, man? I was so hoping for it!"

Post by maximzub »

zazthespaz wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:12 pm
maximzub wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:06 pm Well, it happened. I finally saw Alter Bridge live. And to top it off, today I got to meet Mark Tremonti, take pictures with him, and have him sign my guitar, jacket, and some posters. I'm gonna do an anguyen-style write-up pretty soon.
Just catching up on the thread now - that's cool that you got to meet him one on one! What question(s) did you ask? It's difficult asking a good one without seeming like too much of an Alter Bridge nerd :lol
The Meet & Greet was scheduled to end at 2:30, but half the people in line still hadn't gotten to meet him by that time, so they extended it. But by then, they were clearly rushing it. So we didn't get much time to talk. I didn't really ask anything, on one hand because I wasn't really prepared and kinda felt nervous to say anything other than "nice to meet you" and "amazing show last night", and on the other hand because there really was no time. I'll include a video of the whole encounter in my write-up.
anguyen92 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:27 pm On another note, one touch I did like after the show ended was while I was walking out of the building in Toronto, I heard some old laidback music and I thought, "This sounds like Sinatra." Checked Shazam and it turned out to be My Way. I pondered and thought, "This version I'm hearing is the one Mark sang for his Tremonti Sings Sinatra stuff, isn't it?" Apparently, setlist.fm did list it as the outro music in the Chicago show.
I put that there because I recognized it as the outro music from last night. So they did that for the other shows? I'll make sure to put that in as well.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

All right, here's part 1 of my write-up about my Alter Bridge weekend.

To put things simply, I was very excited to finally be seeing my second favorite band. As for the openers, I wasn't too excited about Red, but Mammoth WVH was slowly becoming one of my favorite bands and I was looking forward to seeing them as well.

We left home at around 4:15. The drive was nothing special. Seeing all the traffic jams when we got closer to Chicago reminded me why I would never choose to live in a major city. Anyway, we were about to get to the parking lot that my mom had put in the GPS when my dad missed the turn. Oh well, the next turn led to another parking lot. Not a problem. We parked at around 6:00, ate a bowl of pasta with cheese quickly, and headed for the Riviera Theatre.

(Yes, I mentioned food. There's no other way to write like anguyen than to bring up what I ate.)

When we got there, I was astonished to see how many people were lined up outside the venue. Close to 2500 people is a lot more than I thought! Many were wearing Alter Bridge shirts, some Mammoth WVH, some other bands. (No Red shirts, I pointed out. A sign of something?) I was wearing my Alter Bridge shirt with the PRS guitar covered in their album covers and their signatures around the band logo. Anyway, the doors opened promptly at 6:30. When we got closer to the sign in front of the theater, we took some pictures in front of it. Somebody offered to take a picture of all three of us. Great.

The venue was very nice. The standing room includes three levels, and we found ourselves at the front of the second level. It actually was a perfect spot with a good view. Nice. The house music was some hard rock music with little screaming and cool drumming. Unfortunately, I couldn't Shazam it because the crowd talking was overpowering it. I wish I knew what it was because it might be something I want to listen to.

Red was scheduled to go on at 7:30, but the lights went down a little earlier at 7:25. Okay. This was probably going to be my least favorite part of the night.

1. Infidel - I had previously listened to Red's setlist a few times, but they had changed it since then. So I was ready for this to be the opener. I hadn't heard it before. Nice energy, but it didn't seem any different from the rest of the songs I had heard from them.

2. Death Of Me - I wasn't sure which song they were going to play next. I had seen two styles of setlists that week, one where they played this song second, and one where they played Let Go second. Well, they played this one and I knew it. It actually went pretty well and I enjoyed it. The backing tracks were not nearly as loud as I expected them to be, and they skipped the symphonic intro and outro, making it sound more live. That's a good thing.

3. Faceless - I wasn't expecting this one as I didn't see it on the setlists that week, but it had been played at almost every show before then, so I knew it. (I later found out that they had played it the day before in Prior Lake and that it was mistakenly not put in on setlist.fm.) I like it, actually. It's one of the songs that doesn't have as much of what I don't like about Red (symphonic and electronic elements). After this song, Michael introduced the band and talked about how to find them on social media ("The band Red", not "Red", as "Red" would lead to a lot of results about Taylor Swift).

4. Already Over - if you could say that I have a favorite song from a band that I don't particularly like, then I guess this is my favorite Red song. I knew most of the lyrics and was singing along most of the time. This was the first time that I noticed I was reaching notes comfortably that I usually struggled to reach when singing (G4 and G#4). Some girl walked up next to us and was recording the whole song (as well as many other full songs throughout the night), and she noticed me singing every word. More on her later.

5. Feed The Machine - it started with a drum backing track that was not in the tempo of the song, but closer to the tempo of Let It Burn, another song that they had been playing recently. Were they going to skip Feed The Machine? I hoped so as I really hate the song. Well, they didn't. Actually, I surprisingly enjoyed them playing it. It has an amazing riff but the rest of the song gets on my nerves so much.

6. Breathe Into Me - Michael talked a little bit about the band and thanked everybody for the good run with Alter Bridge. He also pointed out a kid in the crowd named Wyatt and dedicated this song to him. It was a great performance and again, they were dialing down the backing tracks.

Overall show thoughts - they are much better live than in the studio. I'm not surprised that I enjoyed watching them more than listening to their music. They were all getting a workout in, especially Michael who was running and jumping like crazy around the stage. And a funny moment at the end: the bassist picked up the drummer, threw him over his shoulder, and carried him off stage. Wow! Anyway, I don't think I'll be going back to this band anytime soon.

After that, it was a 20 minute break until Mammoth WVH went up. The house music was a little louder this time, so I could Shazam some of it. Them Bones by Alice In Chains was one of the songs. Cool. Another one was Night Prowler by AC/DC. An AC/DC song not in 4/4? Is that possible? Well, I thought it was one of their newer songs because I could hear a lot of autotune in the voice. But I guess it's not. It's actually from Highway To Hell.

During this time, my dad noticed that our friend Zach was in the crowd on the first level of the floor. Interesting. I texted him saying where we were to see if he might notice us, but I don't think people check their phones much at concerts. I certainly did—guilty, I know. I typed in Red's setlist and sent my friends a Snap of the backdrop of Mammoth WVH.

The lights went down and the band walked out. This was going to be an awesome set.

1. Mammoth - the first thing I noticed was that these guys were not nearly as energetic on stage as Red, but so what? I would rather hear great music than see some guys put on a show that's more like theater than live music. Anyway, it was a great performance. The band was matching Wolfgang's studio parts perfectly.

2. Mr. Ed - same thing for this song. Wolfgang's solo got some loud cheers. My mom seemed to particularly enjoy this one.

3. Epiphany - "It's funny because of my name, that I can't tell if you're booing me or saying 'Wolf!'" After some warming up of the crowd by Wolfgang, they launched into this song. He played keyboard for some parts of the song, but I don't think it was really audible. Something about the vocals: it seems like every time I go to a concert in a larger venue, the vocals seem thin. It was especially noticeable here. Wolfgang almost sounded like a little girl.

4. Stone - a slower song and I have to say that the mood died down a little here. Contrary to other slow songs that I dislike (Sin After Sin by Alter Bridge, Bombshell by Halestorm, etc.) where I like the intro and dislike the rest of the song, my favorite part of this song is the heavy bridge. What I didn't notice then but my dad did and brought it up the next day was that there were a lot of cheers for the guitar Wolfgang brought out. He asked if that happened to once be Eddie's guitar, and I just found out that it was. I think one of the strings was out of tune for most of the song.

5. Think It Over - Wolfgang started introducing it as a new song, before stopping himself because he realized that they weren't playing any new songs. But then he used this opportunity to announce that Mammoth II would be coming soon. Great news. So then he correctly introduced this song as his dad's favorite. I gotta say, I can agree with Eddie on this one. It's competing for my favorite along with You're To Blame. Great performance as well. Wolfgang hit all the high notes perfectly. This was the only one I knew all the words to and I was singing along for every second of it.

6. Distance - I told my mom that this was the one Wolfgang wrote in tribute to Eddie. I was surprised that he didn't mention this himself. Maybe it's just too much for him to think about right now. I think their performance of this song was a little off as the electric guitars cut through the acoustic guitar way too much. There wasn't the right blend between the two. The crowd reaction was great, though. He asked us to "bring out our lighters—no wait, nobody has those anymore!" So there were a lot of cell phone lighters, and SOME real lighters. Interesting!

7. You're To Blame - lots of energy for this song. Wolfgang's vocals and solo were perfect. Not sure what else to say about it.

8. Don't Back Down - Wolfgang introduced the band while Garrett played the intro drum beat. I can guess why the cheers were louder for Garrett than for the rest of the members, as he was a familiar face for any fans of Tremonti. Speaking of that, now I can say I've seen all current and former members of Tremonti on stage. (I saw Tremonti at Louder Than Life in 2021, and obviously now I've seen Wolfgang and Garrett as well.) Great performance, but I don't think it's a good choice for the closer song.

Overall show thoughts - the band plays Wolfgang's parts perfectly! I think this is a great band to see if you're looking for great music. The set sounded tight and it was a lot of fun. I would definitely go see them again.

Anyway, since I knew there was going to be at least a 20 minute break, I used this chance to go to the bathroom. During this time, I ran into previously mentioned Zach. We had a nice conversation. He was surprised to see me there, which I don't really understand as I'm pretty sure I've brought up Alter Bridge more than once in our conversations and he's seen me play Watch Over You acoustic.

As soon as I got back, I typed in the setlist for Mammoth WVH. The girl that was next to us for most of the night noticed this and asked me if I work for the bands. "No, why?" "Because I saw you typing in their setlist and you seem to know all the words to their songs." Well, okay. I guess I'm pleasantly surprised that someone thought I was something like that. But what would someone who works for the band be doing out in the crowd anyway? Whatever.

The Mammoth WVH backdrop was taken down and the Alter Bridge backdrop was set up. I sent a Snap of this to my friends again, with the caption "Alter Bridge. It's happening. IT'S HAPPENING." I got mixed reactions from this — a surprised face from one, "Have fun. Just so you know I'm extremely jealous" from another (who's also an Alter Bridge fan), and a jokey response from my best friend Ashton ("Sitting at home playing Fortnite. It's happening. IT'S HAPPENING.").

9:20 arrived and the lights went down. It was happening. My favorite musicians were about to walk out on stage.

1. Silver Tongue - the intro tape rolled and shortly after, the band walked out. I remember in what order: Brian, Myles, Mark, and Scott. And they were off. Myles's voice sounded strange just like the other voices had that night. They weren't as loud as I expected. I had brought earplugs but wasn't wearing them almost at all throughout the night. The performance of this song was tight, although Myles did a little bit of his talk-singing in one of the verses. But he really shone in the bridge.

2. Addicted To Pain - they went straight into this song. Yes. My favorite Alter Bridge song. Maybe it's just the fact that I was witnessing it in person, but it sounded much better than live recordings of the song I'd heard. It didn't sound empty when only Mark was playing guitar like it usually does on their live albums. Mark nailed the solo and Myles sang the line "sometimes it seems like nothing else matters" with the correct melody. I don't think I've ever heard him do that live. Definitely a highlight of the night.

3. Ghost Of Days Gone By - I expected this one. It's not one of my favorite ones, but it was a welcome change from the first two heavy songs. This was the first song where Mark sang backing vocals, and it was so refreshing to hear their two voices blending together. It was also the first song where Myles gave the crowd opportunities to sing, and I seized them all.

4. Broken Wings - I knew this was coming when Myles took off his guitar and didn't take another one. So far, they were playing all that I wanted them to play. It was great to hear this particular song live as it's the first Alter Bridge song I ever heard. Actually, it's the first thing I ever heard Mark play on. More crowd participation opportunities that I took, and I also harmonized with Myles during the verses.

The next song could have been one of a few choices, and I was hoping for This Is War or at least Dead Among The Living. They didn't hang this song into the next one, so I figured it was certainly not Dead Among The Living and it was unlikely to be This Is War. But since Mark didn't switch guitars, it wasn't Sin After Sin either. What a relief. It was probably going to be Holiday.

5. The Other Side - I forgot that this was an option. Nooooo. As soon as the vocal intro started playing from tape, my heart sank. So as I promised a while ago on this board that I would do if they played this song, I walked out.

I'm kidding! Of course I wouldn't walk out. There was still another hour of the show I wanted to see. So I stood through this song in misery. I couldn't even sing along because I barely knew the words. Strangely, my mom chose this song of all songs to go Facebook live during.

6. Burn It Down - I saw Mark's guitar tech had his Eb guitar out at the end of the previous song, so there was no chance they were going to play This Is War or Dead Among The Living. Oh well, I hoped they would grant my other wish and play Stay. Anyway, back to this song. Wow! I was really hoping to hear this one and I was glad to see it was a staple of the set for this tour. Mark nailed it as usual. Unfortunately, I could barely hear Myles's solo. But still, the role reversal was awesome and this song was probably one of my top two highlights of the night, even beating out some of my favorite songs by them.

7. Cry Of Achilles - my dad asked me to let him know when Watch Over You was going to be played so he could go Facebook live. And he asked me what song was next and I told him "Cry Of Achilles." "Whaaat?" The song title has become our inside joke because I played the song for him at some open mics back when he tore his Achilles tendon in the summer of 2021. Wow. This song was one I had been looking forward to seeing live for a long time, and they did not disappoint. As with Addicted To Pain, this sounded a lot better and less empty than live recordings I had heard. More crowd participation moments which I seized, and I also tried to harmonize with Myles for every harmony line that I could reach. I still couldn't hear Myles's solo, although I can hear it just fine in the video I took.

8. Sin After Sin - I elbowed my dad to get ready as Watch Over You was coming up. I wasn't paying attention to the fact that Myles was still wearing his PRS Tele. Wait a minute. What song could they be playing between Cry Of Achilles and Watch Over You? He announced that they had a new album out and they were going to play a song from it called Sin After Sin. Noooo. I was getting screwed over big time tonight. Well, I figured they were just going to skip the second Mark song later in the set. What a loss though; I would have taken This Is War and Stay over The Other Side and Sin After Sin in a heartbeat. I must admit, though, that I did enjoy this song more than I thought I would, even though it's not a good live song. It was during this song that I noticed a guy next to us was singing every word of every song and was on pitch. Very cool. The best moment during this song was when I leaned towards this guy to sing the line "I've seen your kind before" with him. Great.

9. Watch Over You - okay, now the acoustic break was coming. I saw the guitar tech with an acoustic guitar on stage, but Mark hesitated to leave then. So I was afraid they were going to skip Watch Over You and go straight to In Loving Memory. Fortunately, the guitar tech turned around and I could see it was Myles's guitar after all. So here we go. He was going to play the song that I was spamming every Alter Bridge related social media asking about during the European tour when they weren't playing it. Myles started off by talking about how he started playing ("coffee shops, weddings, cover bands…<he sings a line of Can't Touch This>"). Funny. Then he played the song. Honestly, the performance was nothing special compared to some of the other times he's played the song solo. Still, I was singing along with every note just like always. It helped that he's recently tuned the song down to the key I sing it in.

10. In Loving Memory - they sounded great with this song. There were a lot of chances for the crowd to sing, and I sang it loud and confidently because it's mostly in my range. I think the only thing I can complain about is that it was played way too fast.

11. Blackbird - while I believe most people had their crying moments during the previous two songs, it was actually this song that made me cry. I mean, it's one of the best songs of all time, one that could already make me cry just by listening to it, and I was watching its authors perform it right in front of me. I think the only other thing that can make me cry at a concert is whatever Lzzy Hale plays during her piano set with Halestorm (and I'm so looking forward to seeing that whenever I get a chance to see them live). I digress. They nailed this song and there was no sign of Myles altering the pronunciation of the lyrics. The solos were perfect. Brian played the correct bass line during the bridge. Myles changed the melody of the last "I hope you find your way" to something different, but not necessarily easier. Not a problem. Mark started the song with actual clean tones! I loved it and it was definitely the number one highlight of the night for me.

12. Stay - "Good news for me, we're gonna feature Mark again on this song." What? Were they gonna skip Pawns & Kings because they played Sin After Sin earlier? Please, no. I said earlier that I was hoping for this one, but not as an exchange for arguably the best song from the album and one of my favorite songs ever. Of course, that didn't stop me from enjoying this song. Mark actually attempted some of the high runs that he usually doesn't do live. And the crowd actually did raise their hands during the first line! Zaz…I'm talking to you. The "don't wait" was amazing each time as well. I think this is going to be a great crowd sing along in time.

13. Pawns & Kings - Hmm. Brian and Mark were changing guitars but Myles wasn't. What could they possibly be playing if not Isolation? Myles played the intro chord to this song. Yes! I wasn't being cheated out of this song after all. They played this song perfectly. I didn't expect it to sound this good live. Finally, a chorus I could sing. Interestingly, the guy next to us that had been singing every word to every song all night wasn't singing this song at all.

14. Isolation - okay, now the parts of the set that I was looking forward to were over. As much as I like the rest of the songs after Pawns & Kings, I still think my personal energy died down after that. Probably it was due to feeling "fulfilled", if you know what I mean. Of course, this song was still very enjoyable. Myles did change a lot of the vocal melodies, though. But he played the solo correctly! Usually he skips a couple beats and ends up having to do the bends at the end a few more times, but nope, this time he played it through with no mistakes. Overall, I don't think it's that good of a live song, but I understand that they have to play it because it's their only #1 single.

15. Metalingus - another song that I know they have to play due to its success in WWE, but not a good live song. I think every member gave it their all, though. Myles was a little late introducing Brian. They extended the bridge longer than I can remember them ever doing, giving us a chance to take a selfie with the band in the background and still not miss anything. Myles did the whole divide the crowd thing where he made the left side put up their hands and scream and then the same for the right side. He said at first that usually one side is more powerful than the other, but not this time, before prompting us to do it one more time. Then he remarked that this is probably the best crowd they've seen all tour. Well, if so, I'm glad we were part of that crowd! Another thing that I was surprised to see is that Myles sang "fraaaay" instead of "friiiii" once again. I don't think he's done that since The Last Hero tour. They ended the song and Mark left his guitar on his amp with the open C# power chord still ringing out. I looked at the time. 10:52. No chance they're going to play two encore songs. So we were going to miss Open Your Eyes just like a lot of other cities missed it during this tour.

16. Rise Today - they came out and thanked us once again for being a great crowd. Myles also thanked the opener bands and said they were looking forward to continuing their adventures with Mammoth WVH. (Wolfgang also said that he was both surprised and glad that Alter Bridge still wanted them to tour together after having spent so much time together in Europe and on the current US leg. Not sure when he said that though.) Then they played this song. Now I like this one less than the previous two, but I have to say this is a much better live song of the three. More crowd singalong moments. They extended the post-bridge section of the chorus more than I remember, probably to fill up the time they had left until the 11:00 curfew. It was a great time. They ended with a huge ending, and that was it. I watched them walk out, and then we too left. They played Mark's version of My Way over the speakers as everybody walked out.

Overall show thoughts - although clearly I have a few complaints, mostly about the setlist, it was still a great time. Something about this band pulls me into wanting to go see them again. I'll be first in line if they come to Milwaukee or Madison this fall, or even Chicago again. This certainly topped Godsmack as my favorite English-language rock concert. (My favorite rock concert overall was by YU Grupa, where I got to meet all the band members, and it's gonna take a lot to top that.)

So, to cap it off, I had an amazing time all night and I'm glad we went. Here's a supercut of all the videos I took at the concert. And this wasn't the end of my Alter Bridge weekend.

Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

Any chance we will get a revamped and refreshed set list for the 2nd leg of this tour? Or are we going to get the same thing as before? Would love to see some of the newer songs in the setlist like Fable or Last Man Standing.