Pawns & Kings – post release reactions & user reviews

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Pawns & Kings – post release reactions & user reviews

Post by fix »

CrowsOnAWire wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:16 pm This is AB’s strongest album since Fortress (which is their best album IMO).

The standout tracks to me are This is War, Fable, Last Man Standing and Pawns & Kings. All of these I’d rate at 10/10.

The next tranche I’d rate between 7.5 and 9/10 - Silver Tongue, Dead Amongst the Living, Sin after Sin.

I’d then put Stay at a solid 7/10.

Seasons of Promise at 6/10 and Holiday at 5/10.

Last Man Standing is the surprise song for me. It has such a killer, moody vibe. I love the bridge melody and then the solos top it off. Really hope it becomes a staple in their live set.
Change Stay to a 2/10 and we are in full agreement. :lol

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

I think somebody needs to update this spreadsheet to include the new songs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

maximzub wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:51 am
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:30 am Solo Rankings (Favorite To Least Favorite)
1.Fable of the Silent Son (Mark)
2.Season of Promise (Mark)
3.Last Man Standing (Mark)
4.This Is War (Mark)
5.Fable of the Silent Son (Myles)
6.Last Man Standing (Myles 1)
7.Last Man Standing (Myles 2)
8.Pawns & Kings (Mark)
9.Pawns & Kings (Myles)
In the middle section of Last Man Standing, the first solo is Myles and the second solo is Mark. So there are actually two Mark solos in the song.
I'm going to challenge that. I would wager from the tone and phrasing that both of the bridge section solos are Myles.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

That staccato part in Fable of the Silent Son really reminds me of Tool.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

On one hand, I'm impressed that you guys are able to come up with full reviews two days in but on the other, I think it's a bit immature - I would wait until it's a bit more embedded in me. At this point, in my book, the record is divided in two - the singles and the rest of the album released yesterday (clearly a consequence of releasing almost half of the songs beforehand). I would need to distance myself from it and wait until all the songs are equally old so that I'm not favouring the singles over the remaining ones.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Kind of with Dolo here. Im still digesting. I can tell this record is high quality dont get me wrong, and I may have already played Fable one too many times. This album is better than the last two albums by far, this much I know.
Thanks Timo!

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

It’s gonna be first impressions, not lifetime reviews or anything haha. It’s just about sharing that initial excitement (or disappointment) I think.

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

fix wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:41 pm
CrowsOnAWire wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:16 pm This is AB’s strongest album since Fortress (which is their best album IMO).

The standout tracks to me are This is War, Fable, Last Man Standing and Pawns & Kings. All of these I’d rate at 10/10.

The next tranche I’d rate between 7.5 and 9/10 - Silver Tongue, Dead Amongst the Living, Sin after Sin.

I’d then put Stay at a solid 7/10.

Seasons of Promise at 6/10 and Holiday at 5/10.

Last Man Standing is the surprise song for me. It has such a killer, moody vibe. I love the bridge melody and then the solos top it off. Really hope it becomes a staple in their live set.
Change Stay to a 2/10 and we are in full agreement. :lol
I’m not sure how you can give Fable a 2/10 and Stay a 10/10

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Screw it, I'll throw in my initial thoughts while I drink my morning coffee and listen to it.

THIS IS WAR

First time listening was Friday since I held off when it was pre released. Well worth the wait. I think was the perfect way to start the album, the bookends of this album are perfection. Good heavy riffage from AB, and those choral vocals in the intro are a nice touch. I really like the solo in this one. Verses are some of the best on the album, and the last pre chorus out of the bridge is a nice cherry on top of an already amazing song.

Highlights: the intro riff, and the verses/pre choruses.
10/10

DEAD AMONG THE LIVING

Nice follow up, keeps the momentum going and its that nice drop tuned riff-style we've come to love since Come to Life showed up. Verses here are also nice, but I really like the pre chorus on this track. I think the best part of this tune is the bridge. Its so damn catchy and Myles sounds amazing. The vocal effects here are well played. Another great solo. Not much I would change about this song, I like that this song is all about the riff for the most part.

Highlights: the bridge and the outro, sounds like warm blankets on my ears.

9/10

SILVER TONGUE

This is probably my least favorite of all the pre release singles, but its still a good tune. The chorus is my favorite part until we get to the bridge, its upbeat, and Flip keeps the energy going very well. Myles, as much of you have already shared, sounds fantastic especially the stripped back chorus before the band kicks back in.

Highlights: 3:22 and flips snare going BAP BAP BAP in the chorus
8/10

SIN AFTER SIN

I only listened to this one a couple times before the album came out so its really grown on me in the context of the album. I think the intro is one of the coolest moments/build ups on this album, atta boy Flip. I think this riff is awesome, brooding and methodical. Verses are a nice change of pace from the first three songs. I think this song also has a very nice chorus, which is nice because I thought the choruses on the last couple albums were slightly lacking. Mark and Myles harmonizing more on this album is one of the many reasons I think it might be up there with Blackbird. Bass sounds great during the verses, especially right before the crown of thorns line. Guitar riff during the bridge under the vocals is pretty badass.

Highlights: intro; "So DAAAAMN YOU"; the guitar tone, especially when its isolated at 5:30, which is also a highlight, Myles and Mark back n forth

9/10

STAY

Cheese fest. And that's ok. I love the guitar tone in the verses, and Mark as always lately, sounds fantastic. I know some people think the lyric that starts the song off is cheesy, but think about it live, its going to be perfect. Speaking of lyrics, these uplifting lyrics are what AB was known for on the first two albums, and I think album needs this positive vibe here and there.
"They say we'll get back to the way it was
Before the bitter winds of change
It's so hard to know where it's gonna go
Will you please give me a sign?
That everything's gonna be alright
It'll be alright"

This chorus is one of my favorite parts on this album, this was a similar experience to the first time I heard All Ends Well. This song is was Tear Us Apart wishes is could have been. Godspeed vibes 100% during the bridge, until we get to 3:34 with Myles absolutely SERENADING us.

Highlights: the chorus, and Myles' vocals before we go into the last chorus, one of a couple tastes of ODR on this album.

8/10

HOLIDAY

This is definitely my least favorite track on the album but it still brings something different to the table for this album and I can appreciate that. Myles is singing with the swagger he has with Slash, which fits the overall vibe of the tune. I do think this song would be a good single as much as I think it doesn't represent AB's sound, its got a good bounce to it and it will 100% get crowds going if they play it live.

Highlights: I actually like the verses quite a bit, the energy behind the band is contagious and will translate well live.

6/10

FABLE OF THE SILENT SON

This is the song I was looking forward to most on this album. I love Myles vocals at the start, I do agree that maybe the harmonies are a little unnecessary but they don't bring the song down at all. The thing that stuck out to me was people saying the song was complex for the sake of being complex, and while I get that, I disagree with the sentiment that it doesn't flow at all. This song is telling a story, musically. I really love the bendy riffs after the first verse, reminds me somewhat of the bendy pre chorus riff from Blackbird, but it is its own thing. "times have changed"... I love that part. This song shows a band that is still at the top of their game. 2:50 is so damn cool. The lyrics are a big part of the reason this song is so strong:
"And buried way below
We have our deep regrets
With waves of anger to respect
We face our demons with intentions to protect
Our future angels for what's next"

I think Brians bass during that part^ is wicked, you can hear it bellowing under the guitars and it just sounds so good. The bridge riff is a little abrupt but it sets up the solo well. Great solos by the boys. Myles having all these little isolated parts in the songs before the final choruses is always the best. He sounds so good on this album. Overall, best song since Blackbird possibly. Time will tell.

Highlights: All of it
10/10

SEASON OF PROMISE

Blink-182 showed up to the recording sessions for AB7. I do think that intro is cool, the song is nice and uplifting after the big epic. Same kind of message as the song before but laid out in a more positive tone. Myles vocals are a little buried in this song? The second verse where Mark comes in is perfection. Again, them singing together more on this album is a welcome change that needs to stick around. Some more super positive lyrics during the bridge, which I love.
"Someday
We'll fade to nothing
A cruel change
That we can't ignore
We'll be okay
As long as there is something
We can leave behind"

Highlights: the second verse and the bridge
8/10

LAST MAN STANDING

This is such a cool tune, I think this was the biggest sleeper on the album. I didn't think anything of it the first couple times because its the second to last song so I was still digesting everything else but what a damn good song. The pre chorus is one of the best parts of the album. Chorus isn't my favorite, not bad at all though, I think its just surrounded by much better parts. More Mark and Myles harmonies here, good shit. Lets talk about that bridge. Its perfect, the vocals, the bass, the guitars, the drums, all of it. The solos are great. The last "the truth can be so damning" is perfect by the way. Mark closes this one out with a classic Tremonti solo. This song would have fit on either Blackbird or Fortress, its a perfect amalgamation of those two albums.

Highlights: The bridge, the second Myles solo(i think that's Myles? lol)
9/10

PAWNS AND KINGS

This is basically another perfect song. I think I forgot how good it was while waiting to listen to the album because I didn't want to burn it out, but what a good way to close the album out. This is one of the strongest choruses on the album, Myles sounds great at that not so high register. But that bridge, around 3 minutes what a cool moment. I especially dig the riff right before the solo, almost wish it had stuck around a little longer before the solo kicked in. Another moment where Myles shines right before the chorus, I LOVE IT. This is the COA of the album in my opinion. I knew when this song came out we were in good hands with AB7.

Highlights: The bridge, the chorus, the outro

10/10

87/100

The album overall shows the strength of this band. Everyone has a chance to shine, in terms of songwriting and production. There's a lot of things I could have said about this album that I probably missed but I typed this while listening to it this morning so I kind of just let my thoughts spill until a song was over. I think this more than makes up what TLH and WTS lacked. Once recency bias of certain tunes wear off, we will see where this album stacks up compared to the other 6, but I think its at least top 4, sorry ODR.

Song rankings:
Fable of the Silent Son
This is War
Pawns & Kings
Last Man Standing
Dead Among the Living
Sin After Sin
Stay
Season of Promise
Silver Tongue
Holiday
Thanks Timo!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Great review, Austin! My feelings are pretty similar, with a couple small differences here and there, but you hit on a lot of the things I really dig on this album.

Stay is growing on me more and more as the music and mood are starting to overcome the opening lyric, lol.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Sin After Sin is now the big grower for me. And I like Stay more, even though I find the verses catchier than the chorus (not usually what any songwriter is going for haha).

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:05 pm
maximzub wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:51 amIn the middle section of Last Man Standing, the first solo is Myles and the second solo is Mark. So there are actually two Mark solos in the song.
I swear both bridge solos have that Myles vibrato and phrasing feeling to them. :headscratch :shrug
I just listened to the song again and I think you're right. But even though it's Myles, it has so much Mark influence. Looks like Mark has rubbed off on Myles more than we think.

Since my last review kinda excluded Last Man Standing because it kinda just flew over my head, I'm gonna say that this is one of the standout tracks on this album. Those time signatures in the pre-chorus and outro still make my head hurt, though. Someday, I'll figure them out. Someday. 9/10
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Had a chance to listen to the album quite a few times over the weekend, and think this album is tremendous! I'm not going to go track by track and break things down here, but I do have some overall thoughts:

1.) The album is expertly paced and I don't have any complaints whatsoever about the order of the tracklisting. Even the songs I don't like as much feel like they're in the right place and overall enhance the album, even if they don't stand as well on their own.

2.) The production is among the best of their whole discography and fits perfectly for this style of music, IMO. Anyone that has any serious complaints on this feels like it's just nitpicking at this point.

3.) This Is War, Fable of the Silent Son, Last Man Standing, and Pawns & Kings are some of the best songs AB have written.

4.) Holiday was initially my least favorite song on the album, because it just doesn't feel like an Alter Bridge song at all...but it did end up growing on me quite a bit. It's still not my favorite, but I enjoy it for what it is. Myles' vocals on the chorus are really great too, IMO.

5.) A lot of people seem to keep saying how cheesy Stay is...and while that's not untrue, it's a fantastic song! I think they made the right decision having Mark sing this one too.

6.) What I've not seen nearly as many people say is how cheesy Season of Promise is. I like most of the song just fine on a musical level, but once that chorus kicks in it brings the song down so much for me...I just can't stand it at all. The words, melody, and Myles' harmonies on this one feels like one of the most cheesy things they've done and it just grates on me like few AB songs ever have. The only thing keeping this one from being skipped at the moment is the bridge, which I do actually love.

If I had to rate each song at the moment it would be as follows:
"This Is War" 10
"Dead Among the Living" 9
"Silver Tongue" 9
"Sin After Sin" 8
"Stay" 9
"Holiday" 7
"Fable of the Silent Son" 10
"Season of Promise" 5
"Last Man Standing" 10
"Pawns & Kings" 10

Buffon
Bought The CDs

Post by Buffon »

I like it.

Not as strong back-to-front as Blackbird and Fortress, and probably not as many standout songs as ODR and AB III. But there's plenty of good material on here, and the production is miles better than Last Hero and Walk the Sky, probably Fortress too, so looks like they listened to the feedback!

Fable of the Silent Son, Sin After Sin and Last Man Standing are the clear standouts for me - very nice to hear songs of this caliber at this point in a band's career on the seventh album. Dead Among the Living is a good "vintage" Alter Bridge track too, can see that one doing well live. Silver Tongue is a decent single (I like it much better than Addicted to Pain, Show Me A Leader, Wouldn't You Rather).

The ones that don't quite do it for me: the title track, which I file in the same category as Calm the Fire, This Side of Fate, Dying Light, etc. where there's a bit too much going on and the song doesn't really differentiate itself from other big-melodic-chorus ones that they've done. Season of Promise is a bit forgettable, and This is War, Stay and Holiday are probably what I'd call outright bad - these are songs I expect A7X, Nickelback and Theory of a Deadman (respectively :lol ) to be putting out.

Can't wait for them to hit the States next year.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

For all of the hope that it brings...

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

not going to re-score, but things have shifted for me a lot over the weekend so i feel compelled to at least rank the songs now

10. holiday
9. dead among the living
8. season of promise
7. stay
6. fable of the silent son
5. last man standing
4. this is war
3. sin after sin
2. silver tongue
1. pawns & kings

so i guess you could say i think they picked the right 4 songs to put out first lol (at least as far as promotional purposes go - i understand the fan sentiment of not wanting to hear so many tracks prior to the album release but it's just good business sense)

i'm most disappointed that the 2 poppiest tracks aren't doing it for me, that's usually my wheelhouse

'season of promise' chorus is starting to grate on me (love the bridge though) and 'stay' is so frustrating - the harmonies (the mix?) keep the chorus from sticking (i'm able to hum the verses already but not the chorus, so weird)

thatfunkodad
Brand New Start

Post by thatfunkodad »

Crumbso wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:37 pm
maximzub wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:51 am
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:30 am Solo Rankings (Favorite To Least Favorite)
In the middle section of Last Man Standing, the first solo is Myles and the second solo is Mark. So there are actually two Mark solos in the song.
I'm going to challenge that. I would wager from the tone and phrasing that both of the bridge section solos are Myles.
The solos directly before and after the "avarice and vice" lyric are 100% Myles. You can hear the less fuzzy/brighter single coil, and it's full of hallmarks that scream Myles.

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

Buffon wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:20 pm This is War, [...]what I'd call outright bad - these are songs I expect A7X, Nickelback and Theory of a Deadman (respectively :lol ) to be putting out.
That's interesting. For me TIW is signature AB and I cant see for the life of it how that could be a nickelback song :headscratch
But again - there cant be anything wrong with different tastes. But this comparison is just...interesting. 10/10 song for me

Buffon
Bought The CDs

Post by Buffon »

Mr.Vlado wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:00 pm
Buffon wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:20 pm This is War, [...]what I'd call outright bad - these are songs I expect A7X, Nickelback and Theory of a Deadman (respectively :lol ) to be putting out.
That's interesting. For me TIW is signature AB and I cant see for the life of it how that could be a nickelback song :headscratch
But again - there cant be anything wrong with different tastes. But this comparison is just...interesting. 10/10 song for me
I was drawing a comparison with Avenged Sevenfold for TIW (hence the "respectively" - it's definitely not a Nickelback song!). Doesn't help that they literally have a song called This Means War that sounds quite similar...

I'm sure a lot of fans will love it, but this sound just doesn't appeal to me in AB songs - I'd bucket this one along with stuff like Bleed It Dry or The Other Side (though I do like that one a little more). For a band with such talented guitarists and a catalog of memorable riffs, this is just too basic chug-a-chug, overblown "modern" radio metal for me - A7X, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, etc. I expect more from Alter Bridge

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Alright guys. My first ever album review, 12 years in the making. Allow me to disappoint. :peace

THIS IS WAR

Banger. Pure banger. This is the 4-minute single I've wanted for forever from Alter Bridge. It's dark, heavy, and gives me the chugga chugga that I've come to love over the years. I understand the choice to release Pawns & Kings as the first song, and Silver Tongue as the first single. But to me, from strictly a radio rock/metal perspective, I think this song slaps the hardest and maybe should have been the first single. In general, I love the meaning of internal war with yourself.

Notable parts for me: the choir in the background of the riff (yes please, gimme more), the "calm before the storm" prechorus as a little break from the action, and the way Myles sings "can't you see what's coming" in the chorus sounds so powerful.

Rating: 9.5/10. It's near perfect for what it is, a fookin' banger.

DEAD AMONG THE LIVING

Or as I like to call it - Come to Life Part 2. The intro riff and overlaying guitar lick had me thinking it's a combination of Come to Life and Symphony of Agony. Not that that is a bad thing at all, just some clear influence. This is a good follow-up to the opening track, and as far as your drop-b AB songs, it's top notch. I love me a good post-chorus solo break into a second verse, so that was nice. Wish the guitar lead in the bridge was a little longer, or perhaps more of a "solo, but I digress.

Notable parts: dope intro riffage, love the lyrical theme, and general tone of the song feels like an evolution of previous works so I love that little continuity.

Rating: 7.5/10. Really solid track.

SILVER TONGUE

I think the inspiration for this song is pretty clear, but there's a separate thread to discuss those topics. I think for a radio single, this song works well. I mentioned before (perhaps in other chats) that the song isn't my favorite. I do love where Myles seemingly pulled the inspiration for this song and the underlying theme, however, I can't really get behind the music and an Alter Bridge lead single without a ripping solo. If I have a "top, middle, bottom" tier list for this album, this song is in the bottom tier. But I do see the mass appeal a song like this could generate on rock and metal radio so I won't complain too much. Just feels like it's missing something.

Notable parts: intro riffage again (a common theme on this album) and a very high-energy chorus which is my favorite part of the song.

Rating: 6/10

SIN AFTER SIN

Ok this one is complicated. As far as the vibe goes, yes please, give me slow dark grungy chugga chugga metal, I'm all about that. But unfortunately... this is the first time I will ever complain about an Alter Bridge song that *felt* too long. Feels like the song dragged in parts, despite how high-quality I think the music actually might be, which kind of took me out of it. Overall, theme, musicianship, and lyrical content are all pluses for me. But I rank this song in my middle tier simply because on a first listen, if someone like me who can listen to Reptile by Periphery on repeat is looking at the time stamps mid-way through, that's an issue.

Notable parts: the ascending riff in the intro riff, the dark theme, Myles voice in the verses, Mark's harmonies in the bridge and the outro, and the ending lead (although I wish they expanded on it - again, lead vs. solo).

Rating: 7/10

STAY

Hear me out. Yes, this song is cheesy as all hell, let's get that out of the way. But this isn't your regular Good Value shredded cheddar mix. This is some White Stilton or Pule shit. The best of the best cheese. It does feel out of place on an Alter Bridge record which I think is where a lot of the negativity may be coming from, feels more akin towards pop rock radio or a Creed record. Mark's voice on this song sounds awesome, wasn't produced the best on WTS but Elvis nailed it here. The chorus is my favorite melody since Cry of Achilles - no question. And that chorus probably has me ranking this song higher than it maybe deserves, but I don't care, it's my rankings :crazy Falls short on the lyrics though, that first line is probably a big turn-off for most.

Notable parts: the chorus melody (Myles harmonizing on this is amazing), solid bridge, and Mark's clean vocals.

Rating: 8.5/10

HOLIDAY

Alter Bridge, meet Slash & The Conspirators. I won't waste too much time covering this song as this one, and Silver Tongue, are my two least favorite tracks on the record and this one is pretty forgettable in the middle of the record. I've listened to every song that's been released a minimum of 10 times so far. I've listened to Holiday 3 times. While I love the guitar and riffage on this track, the vibe is just off. Again, one of those songs where I understand the appeal and that there's a lot of listeners who would enjoy it, but just not for me.

Notable parts: I don't mind the lyrics, I need a damn Holiday too so thanks Myles. :cloud9 Also - great guitar throughout, and good harmonies from Mark.

Rating: 5.5-6/10

FABLE OF THE SILENT SON

How long we've waited for this song... This is the evolution we all wanted after Fortress came out, for Alter Bridge to go full prog. To me, I hear influences from Tool, Metallica (Load/Reload era) and maybe even Dream Theater. The lyrical theme strikes a chord with me - "I've learned from my mistakes - times have changed, and I have changed". This is just *chef's kiss*. The doom-y chords that play throughout give it this haunting, dark vibe to it. Like the darker side of Ghost of Days Gone By - where that song was about losing your childhood innocence and longing for simpler times, this feels like a continuation of that, acknowledging times have changed, learning what you can from the past, and moving on so as not to make the same mistakes and prevent others from doing the same. The 8-minutes in this song went by very quickly. I think having two different choruses benefits the song, and I like how they brought back the first chorus as a way to "bridge" the bridge to the final chorus. Near perfect song - just wish the solo section was expanded upon a little more.

Notable parts: that solo section where the whole band is going off as Mark is just shredding is pure metal magic, I actually like the more monotone part of "Fable of the Silent Son, a warning of the things to come," and just in general the structure of the song is very enjoyable to me.

Rating: 9.5/10

SEASON OF PROMISE

Get some big time pop punk/Foo Fighters vibes from the intro here - not complaining at all, gives me the same kind of feeling as the intro to Take You With Me. There are also some parts to me that sound like it'd fit really well on Myles' solo stuff, again, not a complaint as it is a very diverse song. Marks' harmonies on this record are really well done - especially like the harmonies on the second verse. The bridge definitely gives me those Never Say Die/Outright vibes, but probably a bit more polished. Ripper of a solo from Mark in the outro here, very good lead in to the next track, and reminds me a lot of AB3 solos and structures. To me - it's another song that's very middle of the pack on this record, never really got behind the lyrics much but the music is pretty solid.

Notable parts: outro solo, Mark's harmonies, AB goes pop punk with the riff.

Rating: 7/10

LAST MAN STANDING

Fuck. Yes. Give me more odd time signatures and interesting structures, all about that. "Last man standing, first to sell your soul" kind of reminds me of WTS lyrical themes, like Wouldn't You Rather and Clear Horizon. Song is definitely a slower build up which I tend to like, adds an interesting dynamic. The bridge is far and away from my favorite part of the song - going into that quiter section with a more muted guitar tone, Myles using a bit of a lower register, Mark coming in with the harmonies as the vocals pick up, and then going into a fucker of a split solo. Both parts sound like Myles to me just based on guitar tone, with Mark doing the outro solo. The transition from the bridge to the final chorus could probably have been drawn out a bit better - feels too abrupt, but that's literally my one complaint about the song. Even with Fable being one of the unreleased tracks, this is probably the one I've listened to more than any other.

Notable parts: THE BRIDGE THO. Odd time signatures with an interesting riff, the slow build, and the outro solo.

Rating: 9/10

PAWNS & KINGS

I can't think of a single thing on this song I don't like. Even after 3 months or so of listening to this song consistently, I have zero complaints. It feels cohesive, and very representative of the current direction of the band. In hindsight, while I thought This is War was probably my pick for the first single, I think this song was the right move for the first release. It's got everything I like in an Alter Bridge song. The one thing I can't quite get behind is lyrical theme - not that I don't like the lyrics, but just connect on a personal level with the song, despite how much I love the music. That bridge is some of the most headbanging I think I will ever do to an AB song - on par with the breakdown from TLH.

Notable parts: bridge riff, and connecting back to the intro riff for cohesion, outro is very reminiscent of Cry of Achilles, Myles kills it on both guitar and vocally on this song.

Rating: 9.5/10

Final ranking: 79.5/100

Overall - I think this record is one of the most refined Alter Bridge records to date. It's a diverse record that showcases top-notch musicianship and progression from their previous albums. I personally have enjoyed this record more than any other release since Fortress - and honestly think this is the record that should have come after Fortress, but better late than never. Some great strides were made toward the more progressive and experimental side of the band, just wish they would tap into that more often.

Song rankings:
1. Fable of the Silent Son
2. Pawns & Kings
3. This is War
4. Last Man Standing
5. Stay
6. Dead Among the Living
7. Season of Promise
8. Sin After Sin
9. Silver Tongue
10. Holiday

Where does it rank on my favorite AB records?

1. Fortress
2. Blackbird
3a. AB3
3b. Pawns & Kings
4. The Last Hero
5. Walk the Sky
6. One Day Remains

TL;DR - the record fucks, and is one of my favorite AB releases barring some lower-tier tracks I just couldn't get into. EXTREMELY EXCITED to start seeing some live footage, and see them in Seattle this winter.
Last edited by AB4Lyfe on Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.